Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
EDIT: the way I found how to do it is posted below (Post # 3)
Does anyone here know how to edit the text in the iphone through SSH
examples: slide to unlock, slide to power off... etc etc

I got the original package for all the iphone text which is SpringBoard.strings When you open this it opens in omni outliner and I edit what I want to be said instead. After saving it as .strings and hten opening that folder and saving the actual file to .strings extension I dragged it into
/System/library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/English.lproj

It asks to replace the other SpringBoard.strings and I overwrite it.

But When I checked my phone instead of changing the text I want it went to Apples Key text such as: AWAY_LOCK_LABEL instead of Slide to Unlock

I was able to replace that file with Apples original and everything went back to normal, but I want custom text anyone please?!?!!?

skierdb526

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Could you possibly send me the file youre trying to edit? I may not know the solution, or have an iPhone, but I'm willing to look for a solution.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I ended up finding out how to do it on my own by guess n check. This is on a Mac.
Two ways to get the file:

1. Download SpringBoard.strings at this site: http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_downloads.html (scroll down to get it)
If it comes as a zip on your desktop then double click it to get the actual file.

OR

2. open your iPhone through SSH and go to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj
and drag the actual file --> SpringBoard.strings to your desktop.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Either way you should end up with a file that is labeled "SpringBoard.strings"

right click it and hit "open with"
choose other
search for text edit
It will then open it in text edit. It will give the key of each text line on the iPhone and the string for each text line in the iPhone. To actually edit what your iPhone says you need to edit the string only.
For Example:
To change the text "Slide to Unlock" on the lock screen, you scroll down to
<key>AWAY_LOCK_LABEL</key>
<string>Slide to Unlock</string>

What ever you type in the string where it says "Slide to Unlock" is what it will state on your phone.

If you want it to say "Open Now" Then the same two lines should look like:
<key>AWAY_LOCK_LABEL</key>
<string>Open Now</string>

Once you change all you want save it. Then drag that same file "SpringBoard.strings" , which is now edited to your customized text, back to the same place you got it through SSH in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj
You will then need to restart your iPhone to see the effects.

I have found it is hard to find each key that you need so I recommend opening the SpringBoard.strings in Omni outliner as well. That is much easier to read and you can easily scroll through and see what text does what. But remember you must go back to text edit to edit it then save if you want it to actually show up on your iPhone.

Sorry if everyone already new this but no one could help me so I am guessing some do not... feel free to ask if you have any questions.

zinj

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
I had the same problem with omni outliner but I didn't really care to edit any text so I didn't mess with it too much. Thanks for the info, now I know how to do it if I ever feel like it.

whistler72

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I'd love to get this working!

WhiteShadow

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Washington D.C.
help

I edited the springboard.string file downloaded from hacktheiphone

but when I go to find System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj I am at a loss I used cyberduck to ssh into the iphone but I cannot find the proper file

please any help I know I am a n00b and shouldn't be hacking the iphone but I cannot resist.

thank-you in advance for any help.

skierdb526

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
wow, i am sorry dude! I thought thats what you were doing the whole time and couldnt get it to work! I would have recommended that to you if i knew you were doing it differently! Since I dont own an iPhone yet I couldnt guess and check, its just what made sense to me. Im glad you figured it out on your own though! (It makes you feel cooler and prouder that way)

skierdb526

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007

but when I go to find System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj I am at a loss I used cyberduck to ssh into the iphone but I cannot find the proper file

please any help I know I am a n00b and shouldn't be hacking the iphone but I cannot resist.

Get on http://www.ModMyiphone.com and go to the download section. look around for a bit. it exists.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005

When you first connect to the iPhone, you will see this:

picture8ue4.png

Click on the drop-down menu, like this:

picture9fp0.png

You will end up in this directory:

picture10cg0.png

Navigate to System > Library > CoreServices > SpringBoard.app > Englishlproj.

Now drop your modified SpringBoard.Strings into that folder, and click to overwrite...

I3eXa

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2004
IdaPIMP
ok weird questions but here it goes. I dont' currently have internet so I bum off my neighbors on my mac, only thing is my iphone can't connect to it (out of range or something maybe) so is there another way i can hack the .strings file on my phone???

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
ok weird questions but here it goes. I dont' currently have internet so I bum off my neighbors on my mac, only thing is my iphone can't connect to it (out of range or something maybe) so is there another way i can hack the .strings file on my phone???

Read the sticky.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Read the sticky.

Specifically, post 61 on by The General...

LOL! Don't worry, I'm pretty much a n00b as well. But thanks to all the great info presented
here (especially by The General), hacking the iPhone has been fantastically simplified.

BTW, Thanks again General for the info on [url=https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/344240/[/url] (post 82) on how to get screenshots via SSH.

You da Man!

I3eXa

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2004
IdaPIMP
made my own network but the iphone took forever to display the ip address, it kept saying it couldn't logon to that hetwork.....finally backed out to the home screen and went back in and it showed it :D thanks guys.

oseary

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
Don't worry, I'm pretty much a n00b as well. But thanks to all the great info presented
here (especially by The General), hacking the iPhone has been fantastically simplified.

Ditto to the extreme!

Simple, simple hacking took an already awesome device, to a simply breathtakingly awesome one.

My girlfriend looked at my like I was an idiot for hacking it, wondering why I'd waste so much time... until I took her old ringtone that was on my ancient phone, and put it as her contact ringer... then she loved it. :p

I gotta say thanks to all the contributing forum members though, they made "modifying" simple. :D

drf1229

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Hey what folders/files contain the iPhone carrier name for the status bar?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.