Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IntrinsicMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Texas
So who is going to be the first person to release a PalmOS Emulator for either the iPhone or the iPodTouch? The moment I can move my work software and be able to synch it, the sooner I can ditch my Palm and move to the iPod Touch! Unfortunately I am no programmer so can't just do it on my own. :(

billyboy73

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Why... hahaha

Wondering why anyone would bother to emulate it when apple has already created a platform to blow palm out of the water all together.. Syncing is already there.. Now all that is needed are some small apps which bring contacts and iCal into the equation...

Crazy Bill

IntrinsicMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Texas
one word for you:

epocrates
http://www.epocrates.com/

the app that a majority of medicial professionals use. Used to be Palm Only. Now Palm and PocketPC. Due to the liability with a medical information database, they cannot put together an unsupported hack to work on the Apple platform. Oh and most hospitals lock down their networks tighter than fort knox and cell phone coverage is spotty at best, so no "internet hosted" versions are plausible either.

As for the other PDA functions, just need yall brainiacs to make an easy way to re-enable the add Event on Calendar and we are all set. But I could care less right now about that. I just need ePocrates to work! Its the only reason I lug around my Palm anymore.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Wondering why anyone would bother to emulate it when apple has already created a platform to blow palm out of the water all together.. Syncing is already there.. Now all that is needed are some small apps which bring contacts and iCal into the equation...

Crazy Bill

only if palm can ONLY do that, then you are right.

unfortunately, Palm can do too many things that it just like a small computer!. game/media/office/web/email/internet radio.....

I would love to see apple offer these so I can really consider put my palm to rest....(as of now, I see myself carry them both...)

billyboy73

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
I will concede....

I will concede that the touch by no means offers the application tie in yet that Palm has accumulated but the platform is there and once people start getting their hands on it there are going to be all sorts of things out here about applications being written, widgets created and functionality discovered.

I will admit that my post may have been a bit premature but it is really only a matter of time before I see this platform bring some real attention to itself as something other then a MP3 player and photo viewer... It's only a matter of time..

MorganVachon

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Try this...

From their website, you can search on a form that is designed for the iPhone's browser:

http://m.epocrates.com/iphone

It's nowhere near the functionality of the full program, but perhaps they are planning an iPhone app when the SDK comes out? It would be nice for those who want to ditch their Palm for an iPhone.

Edit: They are indeed planning a full program for the iPhone, pending the SDK release:

http://epocrates1.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/epocrates1.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=952

This is great news for all those doctors, nurses and interns switching to the iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.