PDA

View Full Version : Clam ibook - opening up and replacing power in board

bobnick
Aug 18, 2003, 05:19 PM
Hi All,
I have a clamshell iBook, and I'm having trouble charging it. It'll only charge (or run off DC power) if I wiggle the power connector, or apply constant pressure downwards.
I guess I need a new battery charging board. And I imagine I need a torx -8 screwdriver.

How hard is it to dissasemble the ibook to get to the charging board? Does anyone have any photos or instructions, or is it fairly intuitive (remember what you unscrew, and don't poke your screwdriver where it don't belong!)

How does the board attach to the main board? Do I need to solder, or does it just push on and off?

Any feedback from anyone who's replaced the charging board etc would be much appreciated!

applemacdude
Aug 18, 2003, 05:37 PM
STOP BOTHERING ME!

bobnick
Aug 30, 2003, 04:33 PM
Hi,
The manual helped a lot in opening up the powerbook, but it said I had to remove loads of items (modem, display, protector) to get to the DC In board; I merely removed the screw over it, and bent the metal protector out of the way once I had the cover off; worked a treat!

Thanks!

PilotMike
Oct 23, 2003, 01:48 PM
Where did you pick up your power board from? I've been looking to replace just the connector itself, but haven't been able to find it in all the popular electronics catalogs. If someone has the manufacturer and part number for that connector (or a cheap supplier for the board), that'd be great.

Spock
Oct 28, 2003, 03:05 PM
Powerbook Parts (http://pbparts.com) has alot of older iBook and Powerbook parts

bobnick
Oct 28, 2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Spock
Powerbook Parts (http://pbparts.com) has alot of older iBook and Powerbook parts

wow! That's true, but they're really expensive. Saying that, I checked out POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM from where i got mine, and they're 90 bucks now too, and out of stock. I only paid 45 or so a couple of months back. I'd search around.

I was also able to replace the board without removing everything above it - i took out the bottom case and keyboard, and as i had a threaded screw was forced to bend back the metal shielding above the dc in board - it bent with no problems, the board went in like a dream, and the shielding bent back with no worries.

Let me know if you need the service manual forwarding on to you - it's really useful.

PilotMike
Oct 29, 2003, 12:28 PM
Thanks, bob...I'm fortunate to have worked for Apple, so I have the complete take apart and service manual for the iBook. The prices I've found so far are ridiculously expensive given the part count of that board. Obviously another typical shameless exploitation of the consumer. That's why I had originally asked if anyone knew which manufacturer had produced just the plug itself, as it would be cheaper to replace since that's the defective component...the rest of the board is fine. It wouldn't take much at all to desolder the jack and replace it.

bobnick
Oct 29, 2003, 12:36 PM
Oh, that's the manual I had - it was invaluable, and i'm indebted to mac dude for sending it to me.

The price seems to have sky-rocketed in the last couple of months - I'd definitely hold on if you can, or search round on google for another supplier.

The board just pulls on and off - no soldering required. Good luck in your search.

bbarnhart
Jan 31, 2004, 05:32 PM
How hard is it to take the machine apart to replace this board? My iBook 466 SE is needing a new charging board. I plug it in and if I hold the power connector down with pressure, it will light up. Let go and it no longer lights up. No light - No charge. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

bbarnhart
Feb 11, 2004, 09:38 PM
I repaired my iBook tonight. I replaced the DC in board and it was fairly easy. I did cheat after I had all the easy stuff unscrewed and removed. You're supposed to remove the display and then you can get the the shielding on the DC in board, but I just bent the sucker back.

macman1988
Oct 30, 2004, 02:44 PM
Bobnick,

How did you get the case off and the display? Was it a Torx 8? I need to know because I am having the same issue with my Graphite. I need to know how to get it out and put the new in. Please help me with this issue.

MacMan1988

bobnick
Oct 30, 2004, 03:23 PM
Yep, think it was a T8.

Follow the advice above, and send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the invaluable PDF destruction manual!