PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Firmware 1.1.1 Soon?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Sep 14, 2007, 10:13 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple's Store Credit page (https://supportform.apple.com/200709/main?id=qp) shows off an interesting screenshot of an iPhone (noted by modrak):

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/09/14/111.png

If you notice, this iPhone is up to version 1.1.1 with Modem Firmware 4.02.04_G. Apple has only publicly released iPhone Firmware 1.0.2 at this time. Apple is expected to introduce a firmware update in the near future to distribute the iTunes Wifi Store software.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/14/iphone-firmware-1-1-1-soon/)

yoman
Sep 14, 2007, 10:14 AM
Hopefully this update comes soon. I'm tired of waiting for a "real" update which will add at least some functionality to the iPhone.

mrrydogg
Sep 14, 2007, 10:14 AM
Lets go already Apple....We are waiting eagerly!

GnarleyMarley
Sep 14, 2007, 10:18 AM
Whoa. Didn't even notice that when I was entering my info. Let's hope this is released soon. I <3 updates!

confirmed
Sep 14, 2007, 10:19 AM
you can also see at the apple link, in the image before the one in the post, a "Home Button" setting and an "International" setting. both are new. probably just adding the option of double tapping the Home Button as well as International keyboard options. both part of the iTouch and rumored for the iPhone, this basically confirms both will be coming.

soon??!! please!!

Modrak
Sep 14, 2007, 10:21 AM
As you know, the latest baseband modem firmware is 03.14.08_G in 1.02. So a whole new 04.xx.xx_X line is coming. I wish it will activate 3G, cause no-one really knows what the radio chip with Apple logo is capable of :)

confirmed
Sep 14, 2007, 10:24 AM
another odd thing.. in this shot, under model #, it lists MA712LL... my iphone is MA712.. anyone have a phone with a model number which includes the LL? is this a new batch, with slightly modified hardware?

jgeist1
Sep 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
another odd thing.. in this shot, under model #, it lists MA712LL... my iphone is MA712.. anyone have a phone with a model number which includes the LL? is this a new batch, with slightly modified hardware?

My phone's model has FA712.

-Jason

stagi
Sep 14, 2007, 10:34 AM
can't wait for wireless iTunes :) hopefully this morning.

Modrak
Sep 14, 2007, 10:34 AM

The Apple website shows MA712LL as the model number for iPhone.

My phone's model has FA712.

-Jason

Isn't yours refurbished ?

4GB would be MA/FA501

confirmed
Sep 14, 2007, 10:39 AM

ah.. you're right.. just checked my box, MA712LL, guess the About window is just more accurate with listing the model # in the newer firmware.

jgeist1
Sep 14, 2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I guess it is refurbished. I had mine swapped out at the Apple store.

-Jason

daveschroeder
Sep 14, 2007, 10:40 AM
As you know, the latest baseband modem firmware is 03.14.08_G in 1.02. So a whole new 04.xx.xx_X line is coming. I wish it will activate 3G, cause no-one really knows what the radio chip with Apple logo is capable of :)

Um, yes, we do, and it's definitely not 3G-capable, as that would have to have been included in the FCC filing, even if the capability was unused:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/05/17/news_flash_apple_iphone_receives_fcc_approval.html&page=2

That, and the fact that Steve Jobs specifically said a future iteration of the iPhone would have 3G, the clear implication being that the current generation doesn't have it, and in a media Q&A some time ago laid out the reasons for not including 3G:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/28/wall-street-journal-qanda-with-steve-jobs/

So yeah, it's pretty clear there is no "hidden" or not-yet-enabled 3G. Sorry to disappoint. You'll have to buy a new iPhone at some point to get 3G.

confirmed
Sep 14, 2007, 10:44 AM
but a new modem firmware could certainly help increase speeds. keep edge closer to it's theoretical max.. and i do believe WiFi speeds could be faster.

BulkHedd
Sep 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
It seems like people who have gotten their iPod Touch are reporting that the WiFi iTunes Store is, at least partially, working. It makes me jealous. I want that functionally now!

Buschmaster
Sep 14, 2007, 11:01 AM
Could we see 8.0.2x possibly?

segfaultdotorg
Sep 14, 2007, 11:14 AM
but a new modem firmware could certainly help increase speeds. keep edge closer to it's theoretical max.. and i do believe WiFi speeds could be faster.

Yeah, in my area, AT&T's EDGE speeds have been stuck at 4-6 KB/s since 2004.

mickeymikey
Sep 14, 2007, 11:20 AM
I'd like to see a theme change to match the Leopard-esque dock on the Touch.

CanadianGuy
Sep 14, 2007, 11:23 AM
You can't really rely on the numbers in the screen shot. The ICCID, Serial Numbr, IMEI etc are all obviously editted, so what's to say the graphic designer didn't just change the firmware and other numbers too.

dadsp33k
Sep 14, 2007, 11:28 AM
very interesting

http://www.imaginaire.ca/Images2/Holmes-Image-Loupe.jpg

iphone529
Sep 14, 2007, 11:30 AM
Edge could certanly be faster, but you said yours was only 4-6kbps thats extremely slow. mine runs at 47kpbs.

iphone529
Sep 14, 2007, 11:33 AM
scratch that just tested at 155kbps

check yours at speedtest.dslreports.com

KindredMAC
Sep 14, 2007, 11:37 AM
After using my new 4GB iPhone for the last 3 days, this is my list of things I would like to see added in the next firmware update:
1) Flash support in Safari.
2) Native Thumb Drive ability through USB and BlueTooth.
3) Weather Map Widget option in the Weather app.
4) Be able to save images from web to your photo library.
5) Support for WMV files in Safari.

PupnTaco
Sep 14, 2007, 11:38 AM
What if the "International" option allows disabling EDGE?

KindredMAC
Sep 14, 2007, 11:41 AM

check yours at speedtest.dlsreports.com

I get 190 on average. Yesterday morning I got as low as 90, but that was also at 8:30 am when I'm sure all the salespeople in the office were checking their Blackberries and Treos, probably taxing the system because at 8:45 am I was back up to 182.

zinj
Sep 14, 2007, 11:43 AM
Edge could certanly be faster, but you said yours was only 4-6kbps thats extremely slow. mine runs at 47kpbs.

He said 4-6 KBps, which is quite different that kbps. 47kbps is actually 5.875KBps. 155kbps is obviously alot faster than that though.

Merlyn3D
Sep 14, 2007, 11:45 AM
What's interesting about the modem firmware is two things, though:

First....there's a strong possibility it could relock unlocked iPhones because the unlock process relied on flashing the firmware.

and Second....this would be the third iteration of modem firmware that ended in the letter G. Why would there be a G at the end? It does bring back into question whether there is actually hardware there for UMTS that just hasn't been activated. Let's face it, the Infineon baseband chip was tough to identify and it is possible that it might be a custom chip made for Apple. I'm not saying this is true in any way, but I would give it about 20% chance that Apple might actually pull a 3G capable firmware out of their butts now.

On the other hand, it's true that for the iPhone to be 3G capable, it would HAVE to be approved by the FCC for WCDMA on two bands here in the US before it could be enabled.

gdevitry
Sep 14, 2007, 11:47 AM

check yours at speedtest.dlsreports.com

How did you get Java or Flash to work on your iPhone!

Direct link for an iPhone is i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html

124kbps

note: your link has a typo... dsl and dls :D

zinj
Sep 14, 2007, 11:50 AM
How did you get Java or Flash to work on your iPhone!

Direct link for an iPhone is i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html

124kbps

note: your link has a typo... dsl and dls :D

there's a link for iphone speed tests on the dslreports one. I just tested in at 54kbps :( tennessee sucks apparently.

gdevitry
Sep 14, 2007, 11:54 AM
there's a link for iphone speed tests on the dslreports one. I just tested in at 54kbps :( tennessee sucks apparently.

I know.. that is the link I added. More important, don't click his link because it is a 'parked' domain (due the the typo!).

chr1s60
Sep 14, 2007, 11:55 AM
Wouldn't the phone pictured be two updates ahead? The update with iTunes WiFi should be 1.1 and then the next minor one would be 1.1.1. Could be wrong, but that seems to be how they have done things so far with v 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. Either way, I hope this means an update is coming today or this weekend.

orthorex
Sep 14, 2007, 11:57 AM
iPhone Software Update Server is down, has been for a few minutes. First time this has happened to me. Maybe something new on the way.

:rolleyes:

chr1s60
Sep 14, 2007, 12:02 PM
iPhone Software Update Server is down, has been for a few minutes. First time this has happened to me. Maybe something new on the way.

:rolleyes:

Just checked mine and it connected to the server and said 1.0.2 is the current version. Maybe yours was just an iTunes error or something.

SirOmega
Sep 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
I would guess that international might be for language settings (for the intl release of the iPhone next week), and the home button option could be the double tap functionality a la iPod Touch (go to media player, contacts list, etc).

orthorex
Sep 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
Shucks, it's back up. :mad:

Bostonian1976
Sep 14, 2007, 12:19 PM
I think it's funny they did that whole walk-through on how to find your serial number when it's simply printed on the back of the phone. Maybe Apple is playing with us :)

russkle
Sep 14, 2007, 12:20 PM
Being so close to October and the Leopard release, I would bet that they would delay any firmware upgrade accordingly. I would suspect they enable some new features to better integrate with the new OS (i.e. Notes syncronization).

Either delay the release, or include the core functionality so they don't have to do two iPhone updates so close together.

:apple:

e2interactive
Sep 14, 2007, 12:29 PM
I'd like to see a couple of option available, in the Home section, when you double tap the Home button (if in fact this becomes on option) to allow you to choose:

Show Favorites phone list - giving you the ability to more quickly access phone numbers to call.

Show contacts

or

iPod controls - like on the iPod Touch

Any other ideas for what you could choose from?

SirOmega
Sep 14, 2007, 12:29 PM
I think it's funny they did that whole walk-through on how to find your serial number when it's simply printed on the back of the phone. Maybe Apple is playing with us :)

Maybe you can read that tiny print, but I cant. I had to read the SN off once for customer service and I told the guy there was no way I could read that small print and he directed me to Settings > About > ... so I could read it there.

shane1598
Sep 14, 2007, 12:37 PM
the screen shot also shows 7.1 gigs available...

I restored mine last night and it said 7.3. So hopefully the .2 gigs will be more than wifi itunes and new keyboards.

iVoid
Sep 14, 2007, 12:37 PM
Maybe you can read that tiny print, but I cant. I had to read the SN off once for customer service and I told the guy there was no way I could read that small print and he directed me to Settings > About > ... so I could read it there.

Yeah, I had trouble reading the serial number off the back too and kept getting error messages on the credit page. And ended up emailing the iphonecredit email before seeing this thread and checking my about page. Oh, that's a 'S' not a '5'. One minute later I have my credit. :)

chr1s60
Sep 14, 2007, 12:41 PM
Being so close to October and the Leopard release, I would bet that they would delay any firmware upgrade accordingly. I would suspect they enable some new features to better integrate with the new OS (i.e. Notes syncronization).

Either delay the release, or include the core functionality so they don't have to do two iPhone updates so close together.

:apple:

Jobs already said an update for iTunes wifi was coming this month. We also still don't have an actual release date for leopard. For all we know it could be like the iPhone and be released at the end of the month. As far as updates close to each other, I believe the last two updates were only about 2weeks apart so the time between probably isn't an issue.

mrrydogg
Sep 14, 2007, 12:45 PM
I am sure this has been posted, but people receiving their iPod Touch already have been able to use the WiFi store!

That sucks for us iPhone users!!!

check it out...
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ipod-touch/hands-on-itunes-wifi-music-store-299792.php

4ndr3w
Sep 14, 2007, 12:49 PM
I am sure this has been posted, but people receiving their iPod Touch already have been able to use the WiFi store!

check it out...
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ipod-touch/hands-on-itunes-wifi-music-store-299792.php

have patients dude... it's coming :D

guzhogi
Sep 14, 2007, 12:52 PM
I just checked the SIM card on my iPhone & it definitely says "3G". Maybe the 3G FCC checks take so long, SJ just said "To heck w/ the FCC, we'll ship the iPhone & activate the 3G when the FCC OKs it w/ a firmware update". I don't know.

dr_lha
Sep 14, 2007, 12:55 PM
I just checked the SIM card on my iPhone & it definitely says "3G".
All new AT&T SIM cards say "3G" on them, including the one in my Wife's decidedly non-3G (not even EDGE) cheapo Nokia.

projectle
Sep 14, 2007, 12:56 PM
The Mail icon also changed.

The clouds in the bottom left corner are higher than they are on the iPhone. There is sky visible beneath the ones in the screenshot. On the iPhone, they touch the bottom of the icon.

4ndr3w
Sep 14, 2007, 12:57 PM
I just checked the SIM card on my iPhone & it definitely says "3G". Maybe the 3G FCC checks take so long, SJ just said "To heck w/ the FCC, we'll ship the iPhone & activate the 3G when the FCC OKs it w/ a firmware update". I don't know.

Steve is awesome, but not awesome enough to trick the FCC.

LimeiBook86
Sep 14, 2007, 12:58 PM

In an interview Jobs stated that one of the reasons the iPhone didn't have 3G or GPS chips included in it was due to size. That the chips would require a bigger device. So I doubt there is a 3G chip just sitting inside of it. ;)

projectle
Sep 14, 2007, 12:59 PM
Well, the iPhone is a whole 3mm thicker than the iPod Touch...

:eek:

iJawn108
Sep 14, 2007, 01:00 PM
international keyboards eh

I won't be buying an iPod touch I don't think just yet. :D

iphone529
Sep 14, 2007, 01:02 PM

This is just wishfull thinking. We all wish that it had 3g, but its not going to happen

Chris Welch
Sep 14, 2007, 01:08 PM
There is now a "Home Button" option under the General Settings tab in this upcoming firmware. It can be seen in one of the pics.

Me thinks Apple will add the double-press to access iPod controls at all times feature to the iPhone. :)

ghall
Sep 14, 2007, 01:15 PM
This has to mean an update is coming soon. My guess is within the next couple days.

Of course, I'm usually wrong about these kinds of things.

iphone529
Sep 14, 2007, 01:16 PM
it will def be before the uk press release.

TitoC
Sep 14, 2007, 01:29 PM
A couple of things I noticed:

(1) The addition of the "Home Button" in the main "General" section.
Hopefully this means that the "double-clicking" function in the iPod Touch is coming to the iPhone.

(2) Version Number (from 1.0.2 (1C28) to 1.1.1 (3813)

(3) Modem Firmware from 03.14.08_G to 04.02.04_G

Hope this means that a definite upgrade is coming soon.

iTunes Wi-Fi plus more???

ipye
Sep 14, 2007, 01:32 PM
I have just moved from the UK typical! Hope someone can tell me if anyone had managed to Unlock a iPhone in South Africa and if so on what network?

confirmed
Sep 14, 2007, 01:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

What if the "International" option allows disabling EDGE?

I didnt even think about that. would be wonderful to not have to take the sim out when traveling abroad. would explain why the setting isnt just called "International keyboard" or just "keyboard"

bretm
Sep 14, 2007, 01:34 PM

Might have something to do with the big microwave transmitter/reciever.

bretm
Sep 14, 2007, 01:35 PM
There is now a "Home Button" option under the General Settings tab in this upcoming firmware. It can be seen in one of the pics.

Me thinks Apple will add the double-press to access iPod controls at all times feature to the iPhone. :)

RTFT

knelto
Sep 14, 2007, 01:48 PM
One thing I found peculiar is that when Steve said the iPhone was going to get an update for the wifi store, the icon was on the far right of the blank row... Possibly hinting at 3 more apps

dr_lha
Sep 14, 2007, 01:55 PM
I didnt even think about that. would be wonderful to not have to take the sim out when traveling abroad. would explain why the setting isnt just called "International keyboard" or just "keyboard"
If that is turns out to be true I will love Apple forever. Please get this update out before I go to Italy next week! :D

Peace
My iPhone is model # MA712 also but it's new. Bought it first day from AT&T.

Telp
excting I can't wait for this update. International keyboard would be nice and the double tap the home button thing Is also a great feature. Can't wait to see what else they are going to add, if anything!!

germ war
Sep 14, 2007, 02:03 PM

check it out...

In other news, you can still use iTunes on your computer.

dr_lha
Sep 14, 2007, 02:27 PM
I asked over on the iPod Touch forum, and apparently on the Touch the International Keyboard settings is under:

Settings->General->International->Keyboards.

So that International setting does host the keyboard settings. Of course, it might host other stuff on the iPhone, who knows.

projectle
Sep 14, 2007, 02:27 PM
In other news, the Wireless iTunes Music Store has wound up on a torrent which will "in theory" work on an iPhone...

:D

4830Deuce
Sep 14, 2007, 02:35 PM
One thing I found peculiar is that when Steve said the iPhone was going to get an update for the wifi store, the icon was on the far right of the blank row... Possibly hinting at 3 more apps

I found this odd aswell... It should be on the left of the screen... Three missing apps seems to be the cause for this... At least to me...:rolleyes:

ThanatosId
Sep 14, 2007, 02:38 PM
In an interview Jobs stated that one of the reasons the iPhone didn't have 3G or GPS chips included in it was due to size. That the chips would require a bigger device. So I doubt there is a 3G chip just sitting inside of it. ;)

Steve has also said that Apple doesn't want to be a ship that leaks from the top. I agree, it is highly unlikely, but is ther any other company in the world that would be more likely to do something like this for publicity?

pamon
Sep 14, 2007, 02:53 PM
yeah, release the update already. kind of wierd that the touch would ship to stores before the iphone update with the wifi itunes store would arrive. So the touch users could go ha ha before the iphone users could use it...

confirmed
Sep 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I found this odd aswell... It should be on the left of the screen... Three missing apps seems to be the cause for this... At least to me...:rolleyes:

I believe the reason for the placement is to be above the iPod icon. giving it a spatial grouping for Music. that said, it does look weird.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 03:04 PM

Isn't yours refurbished ?

4GB would be MA/FA501

Mine is MA712 and it's pretty recent. The LL could have nothing to do with hardware but be the current shipping models with the 1.1.1 WiFi Store-enabled and possibly other updates firmware pre-installed. And they show as immediately shipping, so if my speculation is true that iPhone update should come Monday at the latest, hopefully today.

FreeState
Sep 14, 2007, 03:05 PM
According to USA Today - who reported the iPod Touch would be in stores this week - the update to the iPhone will come out this week too...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2007-09-12-ipod-touch_N.htm?csp=34

"With Touch (or iPhone), you can preview 30 seconds of a song and purchase it on the spot, provided you have Wi-Fi access; iPhone owners cannot get to the store via AT&T's Edge network.

The Wi-Fi store was flawless in tests on the Touch, which Apple says will hit retailers later this week. Wi-Fi downloads, which will require a software update for iPhone owners, will also be available by then."

javaGuru
Sep 14, 2007, 03:06 PM
You can't really rely on the numbers in the screen shot. The ICCID, Serial Numbr, IMEI etc are all obviously editted, so what's to say the graphic designer didn't just change the firmware and other numbers too.

I was just thinking the same thing....

javaGuru
Sep 14, 2007, 03:08 PM
According to USA Today - who reported the iPod Touch would be in stores this week - the update to the iPhone will come out this week too...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2007-09-12-ipod-touch_N.htm?csp=34

It looks like the iPod Touch will be hitting stores soon also. j/k :D I noticed that article also. Hopefully they are correct and we will be getting this update very soon.

FreeState
Sep 14, 2007, 03:13 PM
It looks like the iPod Touch will be hitting stores soon also. j/k :D I noticed that article also. Hopefully they are correct and we will be getting this update very soon.

I hope so too - AppleInsider is reporting Apple is getting it ready and that it will also make the phone more stable. Im just hoping for .mac sync over WiFi and a volume fix :D Hey a man can dream cant he? :p

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 03:18 PM
Bless your researching self. Well iPod touches are in a lot of Apple Stores today, and they were right about that, I doubt an iPhone update on a weekend, so I bet by end of day today. Lovely. Although I expect in this update bug fixes, probably Home button config, WiFi Store only, and maybe video-out but they may not announce it does video-out until the actual iPhone compatible dock-connector cables are available in a couple more weeks.

projectle
Sep 14, 2007, 03:19 PM
A man can dream of many things, but when he starts having "those" kind of dreams about electrical devices, it is time to seek councelling.

Peace
Sep 14, 2007, 03:21 PM
Wonder how many iPhone owners are sitting at their computer with the iPhone plugged in constantly clinking on update..

Kinda like when the Apple Store is down during an event.:p

Keep in mind the firmware version 1.1.1 might well be an arbitrary number Apple used in the ads.To go from 1.02 to 1.1.1 seems kinda odd.

zap2
Sep 14, 2007, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty excited for Wi-Fi iTunes Store!

bdorpetzl
Sep 14, 2007, 03:25 PM
Well I am waiting, but it may have to wait till I come home from the bars cause I only have about 20 more minutes till I go out. I'm from Wisconsin, we start early here and I don't argue with that

iphone529
Sep 14, 2007, 03:26 PM
I don't get what is so great about wifi itunes...i would rather just dl it to my mac. What is the advantage?

JC4
Sep 14, 2007, 03:27 PM
No update is of any use to me unless they fix the iTunes crashing while surfing bug(admitted by Apple when I called them a few weeks back). Knowing about and not fixing this issue just sucks. I don't care about new features until the ones I paid for start working properly.

Mass e-mail delete would be my most desired new feature. It gets annoying. Junk filtering would help too.

JohnC

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 03:31 PM
I don't get what is so great about wifi itunes...i would rather just dl it to my mac. What is the advantage?

Butt parking your self anywhere in the house and buying music without having to drag your MB or MB Pro around and probably plug it in somewhere at some point because the battery life is so much short than an iPhone. For desktop users, it's even more convenient. I didn't think I'd want it either until I kept wanting to just pick up my iPhone and buy a song -- the thing is always in reach. My wife is non-gadget-gal and even hers is always in reach of her.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 03:33 PM
I hope so too - AppleInsider is reporting Apple is getting it ready and that it will also make the phone more stable. Im just hoping for .mac sync over WiFi and a volume fix :D Hey a man can dream cant he? :p

Insider is being ambiguous but the USAToday thing seems like it's based on a conversation with an Apple rep. Looks like today unless they hit a snag on a bug fix. I'm still betting pretty limited update with the only stretch possibly being video out; if not then video out after the cable ship.

Having worked in the tech industry as I writer I also know patches and updates before the weekend tend to get posted right before everyone runs for the door so that if it breaks everything no one will have to deal with it until Monday morning.

mrrydogg
Sep 14, 2007, 03:33 PM
Appleinsider also says they don't expect an update until Monday at the earliest.
:(

Looks like I will have to go outside this weekend! :eek:

Drivin in your car, hearin a great song and then downloading it while your at a red light ;)

Or wait for the new iTunes enhanced radios that will allow you to mark songs you hear and then buy them later!

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
Well I am waiting, but it may have to wait till I come home from the bars cause I only have about 20 more minutes till I go out. I'm from Wisconsin, we start early here and I don't argue with that

Please remember even with the price drop it is a $400 device. So, when you come all Cheesehead -- used in the complimentary sense of the name -- blasted, make sure you sit down at your desk before you even get your iPhone out, hold your iPhone over your desk at all times. DO NOT PUT A NIGHTCAP ON THE DESK WITH YOU WHILE YOU DO THE UPDATE. YOU WILL KNOCK IT OVER AND SPILL IT INTO YOUR IPHONE. Enjoy.

Appleinsider also says they don't expect an update until Monday at the earliest.
:(

Looks like I will have to go outside this weekend! :eek:

"One person who claims to be familiar with the upcoming iPhone update has said the software could arrive as early as Monday."

The USAToday reporter got his info from Apple and they said both touch and update by end of this week. Touch happened, update may not, but until it doesn't show up until Monday I'll go with USAToday over "guy who claims to be familiar".

Drivin in your car, hearin a great song and then downloading it while your at a red light ;)

Or wait for the new iTunes enhanced radios that will allow you to mark songs you hear and then buy them later!

Can't. WiFi only as far as I know. No WiFi Store on EDGE.

FreeState
Sep 14, 2007, 03:38 PM

I use several macs and the iTunes library I sync with is on my home Mac Mini. I use a MacBook pro at work - I sync all my contacts/email etc from the MacBook. If I buy music on my work computer I have to wait until I get home to put it on my Mac Mini and then onto the iPhone.

With the Wi-Fi store on the phone I get the music on my phone instantly and my partner will be able to go to the Mac Mini and select "Check for Purchases" and that will download my purchases without me transferring them off the PowerBook or the iPhone (which it will do automatically when you sync it the next time with the computer your library is synced to).

To bad it doesn't work over EDGE. Its Wi-Fi only...

bdorpetzl
Sep 14, 2007, 03:42 PM
Please remember even with the price drop it is a $400 device. So, when you come all Cheesehead -- used in the complimentary sense of the name -- blasted, make sure you sit down at your desk before you even get your iPhone out, hold your iPhone over your desk at all times. DO NOT PUT A NIGHTCAP ON THE DESK WITH YOU WHILE YOU DO THE UPDATE. YOU WILL KNOCK IT OVER AND SPILL IT INTO YOUR IPHONE. Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice, I have skillfully updated drunk already. no need for a night cap because if I spill it'll take out my macbook pro as well

NewSc2
Sep 14, 2007, 03:47 PM

check it out...

Jobs mentioned during his keynote that the WiFi store would be open immediately for iPod touches, and that iPhone users would have to wait a few weeks, so no big surprise really...

4ndr3w
Sep 14, 2007, 03:50 PM
Jobs mentioned during his keynote that the WiFi store would be open immediately for iPod touches, and that iPhone users would have to wait a few weeks, so no big surprise really...

...he also said the touch would be 'shipping later this month' not only eight days after the announcement.

gusapple
Sep 14, 2007, 04:59 PM
Seriously, this has to be today, especially since all of the new iPods are shipping as of today, and some other people have shown pics of them using the iPod WiFi store. It is long overdue for the iPod WiFi store to be on the iPhone..... ONE WHOLE DAY! HELP!;):)

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 05:14 PM
Seriously, this has to be today, especially since all of the new iPods are shipping as of today, and some other people have shown pics of them using the iPod WiFi store. It is long overdue for the iPod WiFi store to be on the iPhone..... ONE WHOLE DAY! HELP!;):)

I think it should be today, too. I can think of one reason why not. Let it run one weekend with the relatively few iPod touches that will get into the wild, make sure all the iPhone users don't jump on and bring it down. But if it's merely a limited, specialized Web 2.0 front-end to the iTunes Store, as it almost certainly is even though it may have some native components to set prefs, list histories, top sales, send account information securely, then it will be all the iTunes back-end and that should be fine. In fact, I think I'm going to counter my own argument: whenever the iPhone WiFi Store update hits, all the iPhone users are going to jump on right away. Better to have few iPod touches in the wild on there, too, than have a whole weekend of touch sales and *then* all the iPhones on top of that early next week or even later in the month. Really the iPhones become the test case as it will take a bit for iPod touch sales numbers to really get them out there.

gusapple
Sep 14, 2007, 05:27 PM
Huh, this is strange, I am trying to get onto iTunes, but it keeps on saying that my network connection is timed out or that it cannot connect to the store, but I am online here and have posted this reply, so I know that I am online. Could iTunes be weighed down because of sales of 50 Cent and Kanye West? Or are we in the midst of something being added to iTunes?

Nevermind, I got on, but I am getting the "Connection Failed" thing way too many times.

Peace
Sep 14, 2007, 05:29 PM
Huh, this is strange, I am trying to get onto iTunes, but it keeps on saying that my network connection is timed out or that it cannot connect to the store, but I am online here and have posted this reply, so I know that I am online. Could iTunes be weighed down because of sales of 50 Cent and Kanye West? Or are we in the midst of something being added to iTunes?

I've had similar problems just checking to see if there an iPhone update.I think this is the problem.A lot of people are doing the same thing causing iTunes servers to get bogged down.

klimegreen
Sep 14, 2007, 05:29 PM
the itunes wi-fi is most definately working on the Touch, my friend used it today (he was able to purchase one in a store in Miami, but had to ask for it). in any event, the itunes wi-fi store will work soon enough with the iPhone (http://personafile.com/Apple-iPhone-8GB-P885909100178.htm)(though i am not looking forward to a new icon that lopsides my iPhone! LOL!).

Djmx
Sep 14, 2007, 05:37 PM
Seems like STILL NO FREAKING iChat!! if it was u'd see it on the iPhone in the Credit section.. so don't expect any new software programs... there is STILL NO iCHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 05:57 PM
Apple Support Discussions Forum for iPhone Music and Video Section is down.

Check it: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1140

Could be traffic load but I don't know. Could be putting an announcement/sticky FAQ/etc. in for iTunes WiFi Music Store for iTunes.

FreeState
Sep 14, 2007, 06:01 PM
Apple Support Discussions Forum for iPhone Music and Video Section is down.

Check it: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1140

Could be traffic load but I don't know. Could be putting an announcement/sticky FAQ/etc. in for iTunes WiFi Music Store for iTunes.

Yeah I noticed that too - however I have been having problems with the Phone section all day too - the forums there are very flaky at best lately.

gusapple
Sep 14, 2007, 06:03 PM
I am getting a new message when I say that I want to check for updates. It says that it is contacting the iPhone update server.

The General
Sep 14, 2007, 06:04 PM
sdgsdgshd

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 06:21 PM
I am getting a new message when I say that I want to check for updates. It says that it is contacting the iPhone update server.

i'm getting software current message, but i think maybe we're closing in, apple iphone music and video support forum down, the only subsection down, checking update server, etc. i was starting to think no for today, but maybe yes after all.

update: support forum is back up, nothing new.

michael1019
Sep 14, 2007, 06:22 PM
Both previous iPhone updates happened on a Tuesday - coincidence? I don't think it is. Especially when coupled with a rumor I read today over on the 9to5mac.com site (check the column on the left about updated iPhone firmware). Rumor basically implies that the update will occur on Tuesday to coincide with the Apple Event in London (probably announcing European iPhone carriers). I wish we didn't have to wait 'till then. Then again, maybe I'm wrong...

Gibbons
Sep 14, 2007, 06:26 PM
hey wouldn't it be cool if the icon for the wifi store only showed up on the home screen if you had a wifi connection? so you wouldnt see it if you were on edge. then you connect via wifi and it fades in... i think that would be nice.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 06:30 PM
Both previous iPhone updates happened on a Tuesday - coincidence? I don't think it is. Especially when coupled with a rumor I read today over on the 9to5mac.com site (check the column on the left about updated iPhone firmware). Rumor basically implies that the update will occur on Tuesday to coincide with the Apple Event in London (probably announcing European iPhone carriers). I wish we didn't have to wait 'till then. Then again, maybe I'm wrong...

AppleInsider says Monday. 9to5 says Tuesday. USAToday says Apple told them by today. Support forums up and down. Weird iTunes Store behavior. iTunes contacting iPhone update server for some people. Who knows. I'm dead bored with checking updates like a button mashing freak, so I'm headed out into the big room for a while tonight. Maybe it will be here like magic when I get home. Or not. Since I'm not expecting much beyond WiFi store in this update -- even if we get video-out with this one, there are no cables yet, plus I have an Apple TV -- I can't believe I'm sitting here like this waiting to do something on my iPhone I could just do on the Macbook I'm typing this on. Silly, silly, silly. Good luck with the wait. I'll of course be compelled to check in via iPhone while I'm out.

kbrain2929
Sep 14, 2007, 06:34 PM
Steve is awesome, but not awesome enough to trick the FCC.

Yea.. but remember... Apple can have the FCC maintain a secret state. He could *in theory* have something up his sleeve. You never know! He's supprised us enough, you never know what will be next. :apple:

stagi
Sep 14, 2007, 07:21 PM
i bet we will be waiting until next week maybe tuesday? Oh well at least I got a new nano to play with this weekend ;)

javaGuru
Sep 14, 2007, 07:26 PM
Has anyone else noticed that apples's website no longer has "coming soon" on the page for the wifi iTunes feature?

http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/wifistore.html

I noticed that still mentioned "coming soon" up until very recently. I'm hoping this is an indication that the iPhone will be getting an update soon. :)

kbrain2929
Sep 14, 2007, 07:27 PM
i bet we will be waiting until next week maybe tuesday? Oh well at least I got a new nano to play with this weekend ;)

I'm thinking about giving my 16 GB iPod Touch to my sister for $200, and going to buy me a 160 GB iPod Classic. The touch is WAYYYY to much like my iPhone. Except - the phone. :rolleyes: Just can't beat the classics! :apple:

Has anyone else noticed that apples's website no longer has "coming soon" on the page for the wifi iTunes feature?

I noticed that still mentioned "coming soon" up until very recently. I'm hoping this is an indication that the iPhone will be getting an update soon. :)

I'm checking for updates now... :)
:( None available... :(

Peace
Sep 14, 2007, 07:31 PM

That's for the Touch.If you go to the iPhone page it still says coming soon.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/wifistore/

shrimpdesign
Sep 14, 2007, 07:31 PM
Peace beat me to it ...

javaGuru
Sep 14, 2007, 07:36 PM
That's for the Touch.If you go to the iPhone page it still says coming soon.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/wifistore/

Darn! I didn't even notice that. Oh well, I'm still hopeful.. :D

BLACK MAC
Sep 14, 2007, 07:46 PM
A part of me says we will see it on Monday. I don't know but :apple: may have something up it's sleeve with this update. They want to make the iPhone their best product.

breath of apple
Sep 14, 2007, 07:55 PM
I am thinking that they will release it on Tuesday, to
give us an update when Europe's iPhone is released.

mathewr
Sep 14, 2007, 09:13 PM
did anyone else notice that it says the it will check for next update on the 18th which happens to be a tuesday. normally when u put the phone into the dock the date changes to when it will check for an update tonight it didnt check. this could be a stretch though.

Nall
Sep 14, 2007, 09:16 PM
did anyone else notice that it says the it will check for next update on the 18th which happens to be a tuesday.
iTunes does this once a week; other people have different dates. Anyway, don't take that iTunes's "next check" date as when an update is coming, or you'll be disappointed often. :)

mathewr
Sep 14, 2007, 09:36 PM
iTunes does this once a week; other people have different dates. Anyway, don't take that iTunes's "next check" date as when an update is coming, or you'll be disappointed often. :)

every time i put my iphone into the dock it would automatically check for an update and when there was no update the date would change. today when i put my iphone into the dock the date said the 18th but it didnt change.

xwing1971
Sep 14, 2007, 09:47 PM
Seems to me like they're letting the few iPod touch folks be the guinea pigs for a weekend on the wireless store. Probably working the kinks out with as few witnesses as possible before letting the waiting hordes of iPhone owners in.

zedsdead
Sep 15, 2007, 06:18 AM
What I Want From 1.1:

(1) Double-Tap Home Button Music Controls (which seem to be coming)
(2) Double-Tab Space Bar for Period on Keyboard (which is in Touch, so should be coming as well)
(3) Chapter Marker Selection Pulldown Menu for Movies (doubt it is coming)
(4) The iPod Touch Dock like Leopard

I obviously want other things, Radio, Finder, Games, iChat...etc...but none of that seems destined for this update.

fabertism
Sep 15, 2007, 07:43 AM
along with the slew of posts pertaining to the firmware update has anyone noticed that the screenshot for the WiFi iTunes (http://www.apple.com/iphone/wifistore/) store has some revised icons (i.e. calculator)?

GnarleyMarley
Sep 15, 2007, 09:25 AM
along with the slew of posts pertaining to the firmware update has anyone noticed that the screenshot for the WiFi iTunes (http://www.apple.com/iphone/wifistore/) store has some revised icons (i.e. calculator)?

didn't even notice that. clock is set to a different time as well.

Chestnutters
Sep 15, 2007, 09:37 AM

I realized the calculator is the same icon as the iPod Touch, but I dont think the actual app will be any different. And I didnt notice the clock but I dont think its a big deal.

sanford
Sep 15, 2007, 09:37 AM

The bad thing is that waiting for the iPhone update makes you want to run out and buy an iPod touch. Of course the good thing is that it would be so redundant it's easy to fight the urge.

I think the iPod touch interface differences, like the dock, will go into the iPhone update that handles the WiFI Store. Basically, I think Apple considers the iPhone the flagship mobile device, so it will always be a superset of iPod touch features and interface, meaning everything iPod does plus all the iPhone features. As for time of update release, it makes since it will be timed for the UK announcement, but those of us in the States must remember the UK is on average 7 hours ahead of us, so a Monday release for the update makes sense. An exact timed release with the UK event would put it out in the middle of the night Tuesday morning, which seems odd, and a Tuesday stateside release would put it out long after the UK event was over. I bet Monday toward the end of the day, which will put it out after business hours in the UK, with the event more or less first thing Tuesday morning local time.

confirmed
Sep 15, 2007, 09:44 AM
the clock icon is set for 9:42! is this just a continuation of always using 9:42 in all iPhone press pics, which i assume has some inside meaning for the marketing employees at apple?

or is it a live icon, showing the current time at all times? does this mean we might see a live weather icon?

would be great.. now.. where's 1.1.1?? do i have to wait until 9:42am on monday?

ben5959
Sep 15, 2007, 10:26 AM
the clock icon is set for 9:42! is this just a continuation of always using 9:42 in all iPhone press pics, which i assume has some inside meaning for the marketing employees at apple?

or is it a live icon, showing the current time at all times? does this mean we might see a live weather icon?

would be great.. now.. where's 1.1.1?? do i have to wait until 9:42am on monday?

I dont think it is possible for them to make a live weather icon. From my experience with the weather app, there sometime a three to four second lag when i click on the icon before the weather info pops up. Obviously this is due to the phone downloading the info over edge, but regardless, if they were to put this live icon on the home screen, it would create this possibility for a info downloading lag everytime you came back to the home screen.

I whish they could make this happen, but i dont thinks its really possible for them to add this on edge. :(

paulyras
Sep 15, 2007, 10:29 AM
What I Want From 1.1:

(1) Double-Tap Home Button Music Controls (which seem to be coming)
(2) Double-Tab Space Bar for Period on Keyboard (which is in Touch, so should be coming as well)
(3) Chapter Marker Selection Pulldown Menu for Movies (doubt it is coming)
(4) The iPod Touch Dock like Leopard

I obviously want other things, Radio, Finder, Games, iChat...etc...but none of that seems destined for this update.

I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea of MMS showing up also. I think europe will be less understanding than the average american consumer about this not being included.

confirmed
Sep 15, 2007, 11:03 AM

I dont think it is possible for them to make a live weather icon. From my experience with the weather app, there sometime a three to four second lag when i click on the icon before the weather info pops up. Obviously this is due to the phone downloading the info over edge, but regardless, if they were to put this live icon on the home screen, it would create this possibility for a info downloading lag everytime you came back to the home screen.

I whish they could make this happen, but i dont thinks its really possible for them to add this on edge. :(

but couldn't they have the option for an auto update, every hour or so? just like email, I doubt an occasional update would decrease battery life considerably.

ben5959
Sep 15, 2007, 11:12 AM

but couldn't they have the option for an auto update, every hour or so? just like email, I doubt an occasional update would decrease battery life considerably.

touche salesman,
its so simple that i didn't think of it, i think that would work great and be totally awesome:)

bobsiphone
Sep 15, 2007, 03:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

hold your iPhone horizontally and the printed serial number on the back enlarges ;)

Me1000
Sep 15, 2007, 07:00 PM
there sometime a three to four second lag when i click on the icon before the weather info pops up. Obviously this is due to the phone downloading the info over edge, but regardless, if they were to put this live icon on the home screen, it would create this possibility for a info downloading lag everytime you came back to the home screen.

or it could be that it is grabbing all the data for the whole week...

by my count it loads 20 extra things that it wouldnt if it was just changing the icon.

but checking ever hour or 2 would be the best option anyway...

AlexGFX88
Sep 15, 2007, 10:07 PM

I just got 90 in Bristol, TN. What part are you in?

mani
Sep 15, 2007, 10:08 PM
To everyone saying the iPhone would need FCC approval for 3G:
Well, not if it's going to be a EU only feature. :D

But after all, Apple doesn't have the guts to give Europeans a unique feature.

zinj
Sep 15, 2007, 10:17 PM
I just got 90 in Bristol, TN. What part are you in?

Johnson City. Hmm, we're only like 50 miles apart. I retested it and it got around 128, but then I retested it again and it was 84. Seems pretty random.

TurboSC
Sep 15, 2007, 11:44 PM
The feature I'd like added in this next firmware would definitely be iChat support. ( AIM / MSN , etc )

Maybe a fix for the buggy laggy camera?

The doubletap and doublespace functions are a no brainer.... just wish for something big! :D

Nanaki
Sep 16, 2007, 12:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

hold your iPhone horizontally and the printed serial number on the back enlarges ;)

I'm a young guy with pretty good eyesight (with contact on) and I couldn't read the last digit (8). It kept saying "please input a valid serial #. It was only until I did the walkthough's way that I saw the last digit was in fact NOT an 8, but the letter B.

Hopstretch
Sep 16, 2007, 06:43 AM
I reckon this is going to be a carrot-and-stick update.

Carrot: New features. Chat etc., maybe landscape mode for mail.app.

Stick: Breaks SIM unlocks for sure. Probably also breaks many other 3rd-party hacks. The new, harder-to-penetrate iPod Touch software guts are probably the clue here.

question fear
Sep 16, 2007, 07:38 AM
To everyone saying the iPhone would need FCC approval for 3G:
Well, not if it's going to be a EU only feature. :D

But after all, Apple doesn't have the guts to give Europeans a unique feature.

Apple wouldn't do that only because they'd have too much of an issue with people importing them, plus don't forget that Euro people traveling to the USA on business would use the phone too. Almost phones that might make it here for any length of time get a rubber stamp from the FCC, and a 3G iphone would definitely be imported and used here.

So even if they did give Europe the unique feature, at some point they'd have to show the FCC.

whistler72
Sep 16, 2007, 08:50 AM
I wish they would hurry up and just release the dumb thing...

kudogger10
Sep 16, 2007, 10:12 AM
say i buy an iphone today...will i be able to upload the new firmware onto it once it is released???:apple:

LimeiBook86
Sep 16, 2007, 11:34 AM
say i buy an iphone today...will i be able to upload the new firmware onto it once it is released???:apple:

Of course! All updates are for all iPhones. :D It would be pretty stupid to only let updates work on older models or something... haha

kudogger10
Sep 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
no i mean i was thinking of buying the iphone today...and then say next week they release new feature of ichat or something...will i simply be able to update my iphone so i can do it too...or will it be a whole new piece of hardware that is 400 dollars....???
thanks

question fear
Sep 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
no i mean i was thinking of buying the iphone today...and then say next week they release new feature of ichat or something...will i simply be able to update my iphone so i can do it too...or will it be a whole new piece of hardware that is 400 dollars....???
thanks

Any software/firmware updates as of now can be done on all iphones, since there is only one kind of hardware. They are not going to release a whole new iphone when they release the firmware update. So it will work on an iphone you buy today.
There are no specific rumors or timelines about any new hardware coming out in the next few months.

hmljcr
Sep 16, 2007, 12:21 PM
What I hope 1.1 does...

- fix the low volume problem. I've got no problem with the volume when I use a bluetooth headset/supplied headphones but I can barely hear anything when I'm holding the phone to my ear. This is pretty frustrating.

- an updated SMS app. The SMS app, as it is now, is terrible. It's almost as if Apple spent so much time developing mobile Safari that they forgot about SMS. A £30 Nokia could do a better job. A character counter, ability to use the program in landscape mode, and allowing users to choose a normal way of browsing messages (instead of the annoying childish speech bubbles) would be very welcome.

- better VPN (i.e. Cisco/IPsec integration). This is the most common VPN protocol used, especially in colleges/universities. Apple would be doing a lot of students a massive favour if they got this working properly.

To me, a phone only needs to do two things: make calls, and send texts. Right now, the iPhone fails on both fronts; yet excels at doing everything else.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the iPhone. But it could so easily be a huge amount better with very little effort on Apple's part.

ghall
Sep 16, 2007, 12:51 PM
To me, a phone only needs to do two things: make calls, and send texts. Right now, the iPhone fails on both fronts; yet excels at doing everything else.

And you have an iPhone because...? :confused:

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but if all you expect from a phone is the phone and text messages then why waste the $$$ on an iPhone when you could get a basic phone for a lot less, maybe even for free. Maybe I'm just missing something.

While I agree that the text message app needs some work, I think the phone part does the job 100x better than my old Motorola.

My predictions (wishlist) for 1.1(.1):

-MMS Text Messages
-Video Capture (maybe even the ability to upload straight to YouTube over WiFi)
-Ability to read PDF liner notes
-Hack-less 3rd Party Apps (I don't care how they're delivered, we just need them)
-A Better Recents Menu separated into incoming and outgoing (I'm an organization freak)

hmljcr
Sep 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
And you have an iPhone because...? :confused:

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but if all you expect from a phone is the phone and text messages then why waste the $$$ on an iPhone when you could get a basic phone for a lot less, maybe even for free. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Because if you own an iPod, a PDA and a phone, why not try and have them all in one device, if possible? Why carry three devices when you can have just one?

My point is, the iPhone does a great job at performing the iPod and PDA functions (which is what I wrote in my original post). It performs its phone functions pretty poorly though, and that's extremely frustrating.

volboi85
Sep 16, 2007, 02:48 PM
Johnson City. Hmm, we're only like 50 miles apart. I retested it and it got around 128, but then I retested it again and it was 84. Seems pretty random.

I'm in Knoxville, and my current speed is 180, average for the last 24 hours of 155, and all time 128... and to be honest the AT&T coverage here isn't the greatest, so I would have figured slower speeds...

gcortega
Sep 16, 2007, 04:01 PM
Do u guys think this next update is going to give us iChat becuase thats all I really want. Its been a while , apple man, HOOk It up homie!!!

ghall
Sep 16, 2007, 04:24 PM
Do u guys think this next update is going to give us iChat becuase thats all I really want. Its been a while , apple man, HOOk It up homie!!!

I certainly hope so. My old cell phone (a cheapo Motorola) had an AIM client, so I don't understand why such an advanced phone such as iPhone doesn't have this.

DeathChill
Sep 16, 2007, 05:22 PM
I have to agree about the iPhone's basic phone functionality sucking as well as its inability to do MMS or record video. I hope that they actually begin addressing these issues with the updates.

Island Dog
Sep 16, 2007, 07:26 PM
I have a decent sized list of things I want in an update. I just hope this update will actually bring some new feature and functionality.

:)

VaMac
Sep 16, 2007, 08:35 PM
My Wish-list: IChat, MMS Text Messaging, Spotlight, File Storage.

What I really want but I know will never happen is for Apple let Slingbox write and App so I can use my Slingbox on my IPhone.

wizard
Sep 16, 2007, 09:38 PM

Hey let me answer this question.

Some of use don't have broadband and are not likely to get it anytime soon. That is a big one.

Some us travel a lot and lets face it traveling can suck if you don't have the right distractions.

Allied with the above concepts, is the fact that there is more available from iTunes than just music. While I can't see myself purchasing a lot of excess, beyond music, there are certainly people interested in the stuff.

Some of us DO NOT run Windows nor MAC OS/X. So iTunes itself is a bit useless. At least to the best of my knowledge as I haven't tried to run it under WINE. So a self contained media savvy cell has its appeal.

In any event these 4 things come to mind quick. I'm very much excited about the prospect of being able to get music at just about any hot spot I can find along with the rest of iTunes.

As Apple firms up Safari and the other apps the network awareness of this little devices will come in very handy. WiFi iTunes, the Touch and the iPhone represent Apple at its best. By no means perfect but certainly innovating.

Dave

cmaier
Sep 16, 2007, 10:14 PM
Don't forget impulse buys.

I'm hoping this is a precursor to wireless syncing :-)

Some of use don't have broadband and are not likely to get it anytime soon. That is a big one.

Some us travel a lot and lets face it traveling can suck if you don't have the right distractions.

Allied with the above concepts, is the fact that there is more available from iTunes than just music. While I can't see myself purchasing a lot of excess, beyond music, there are certainly people interested in the stuff.

Some of us DO NOT run Windows nor MAC OS/X. So iTunes itself is a bit useless. At least to the best of my knowledge as I haven't tried to run it under WINE. So a self contained media savvy cell has its appeal.

In any event these 4 things come to mind quick. I'm very much excited about the prospect of being able to get music at just about any hot spot I can find along with the rest of iTunes.

As Apple firms up Safari and the other apps the network awareness of this little devices will come in very handy. WiFi iTunes, the Touch and the iPhone represent Apple at its best. By no means perfect but certainly innovating.

Dave

meichow
Sep 17, 2007, 08:42 AM
Hi,

Just wondering whether, if i buy an iPhone in the next few days or in this week, whether it will already come pre-loaded with the new 1.1.1 firmware IF say it is announced this week as an update?

I'm planning to get an iPhone but am concerned about anySIM working if it is preloaded with 1.1.1

many thanks

very excited!

iphone529
Sep 17, 2007, 08:50 AM

Dave

As it stands WiFi iTunes can only be used via WiFi so if you do not have broadband or WiFi your pretty much screwed. Edge will not support Wifi itunes

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 09:00 AM
Short answer: Who knows?

Long answer: It won't be announced, or likely not. You'll just drop your iPhone in your cradle and iTunes will ask you to update. If you run out and buy one this morning, probably better off at an AT&T Store than an Apple Store, you'll probably get a 1.0 phone -- as far as I know, 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 firmware were never shipped on iPhones; you just update when you first sync. I do think that the 1.1.x firmware will actually ship on iPhones so the WiFi Store is there out-of-the-box even if the owner won't allow iTunes to do the update.

Late last week iPhones on the Apple Store online picked up an LL suffix on the model number. This probably means they have the new firmware. They were shipping immediately. Apple Stores could be getting boxes of them this morning and they'll sell either version since all it is is a free software update. So at either an AT&T Store or an Apple Store you could try to get one without an LL at the end of the model number on the stock sticker. That should be a 1.0 phone.

Finally, are you sure you want to unlock your iPhone? You may easily blow your entire warranty, period, and any hope for an AppleCare plan. You'll lose features, at least Visual Voicemail and YouTube, possibly other existing features, probably future features. Tmobile's unlimited data plan is like US$40 while AT&T's is only $20 for the iPhone. Tmobile's voice plan pricing is a little better but it's not wildly better. And, remember, Tmobile has been very liberal about allowing use of any unlocked compatible phones on their network, but they seem to have a special view of iPhones on their network. As in, if they find out, they may kill your SIM. I've read at least one report of someone calling Tmobile about something non-technical, billing or something, maybe even adding a data plan, and casually mentioning they were using an iPhone with a Tmobile SIM and within about half an hour Tmobile zapped their SIM. So if they found out, who knows. And if it becomes a widespread thing as they fear potential litigation from AT&T and/or Apple, they may make it policy: no iPhones. And believe, if they want to find out what equipment you're using, they can and will. The kind of phone you're using already shows up in Tmobiles online account system; and if you switch phones, within an hour or so, it changes to the new phone. They know.

Hi,

Just wondering whether, if i buy an iPhone in the next few days or in this week, whether it will already come pre-loaded with the new 1.1.1 firmware IF say it is announced this week as an update?

I'm planning to get an iPhone but am concerned about anySIM working if it is preloaded with 1.1.1

many thanks

very excited!

nickbates
Sep 17, 2007, 09:13 AM
I'm looking forward to the iTunes WiFi Music Store, but I'm sorry, your list of reasons make no sense here:

So, you are going to try and use EDGE when the iTunes WiFi service only works with WiFi? I may be misunderstanding what you mean here though.

True, i.e. great for the impulse buy.

Except ONLY the music part of the iTunes Music Store will be available through the iTunes WiFi service (which has already been report on extensively.)

If you don't run Windows or OS X and don't have iTunes, how did you activate your iPhone!?! This makes no sense at all. Oh, of course you could have unlocked it with one of the various methods, but then the iTunes WiFi service wouldn't work since you need an iTunes account to purchase music!

Otherwise, I do think the iTunes WiFi Music Store will be a fun addition to the iPhone. All the whiners that continually ask for iChat or MMS in this upcoming update are fooling themselves if they think there is going to be anything more than the iTunes WiFi, International Keyboard and maybe the Home Button update.

The people most vocal on this forum with their continuous complaints are actually the very small minority of the AVERAGE CELL PHONE CONSUMER. That's what you all don't get. Apple is very smart and knows what the majority of consumers will buy... just a simple phone that will play their music and an added bonus of surfing the web. That's about it. And the iPhone delivers that big time. But for the more geekier crowd (me included) and the business crowd of course we want all the bells and whistles that are possible, but these crowds are actually a very small minority of the cell phone market. The proof; with all your complaining of lack of features, look how much the iPhone has sold and so quickly. No other cell phone has sold that many so soon, ever... this means it has what it needs (for the moment) for the average person.

megfilmworks
Sep 17, 2007, 10:06 AM
Hi,

many thanks

very excited!I just bought a new iPhone 2 days ago, and it had the old version of firmware, which I updated to the newest.

mapezzul
Sep 17, 2007, 10:28 AM
Short answer: Late last week iPhones on the Apple Store online picked up an LL suffix on the model number. This probably means they have the new firmware. They were shipping immediately. Apple Stores could be getting boxes of them this morning and they'll sell either version since all it is is a free software update. So at either an AT&T Store or an Apple Store you could try to get one without an LL at the end of the model number on the stock sticker. That should be a 1.0 phone.

Newbie here but wanted to state that my phone (bought on the day of the price drop) is model #MA712LL/A so it picked up the LL/A not sure if that is also because the phone being released in the EU and the A representing America or what BUT my phone had the old firmware and no WiFi on it. If that helps any at all. So it would be my best guess that the phones in stores still do not have the new firmware on them unless they are from a brand new shipment that just arrived over the weekend.

Best of luck!

projectle
Sep 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
Well, maybe the LL was simply to designate purchases made after the price drop so that you don't have as many people coming back saying that they need their $100 off.

Just a thought...

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 10:41 AM
Well, maybe the LL was simply to designate purchases made after the price drop so that you don't have as many people coming back saying that they need their $100 off.

Just a thought...

Yeah, good point. In many inventory systems, same product at a new permanent price point would be a new SKU. And, yes, also to the post above, if there are any retail iPhones with the update out there, they just arrived in shops this morning.

I just wish they'd tell us when, exactly, we're getting the WiFi iTunes Stores. I don't expect them to tell me if there will be new features, or if any other features will come with that update, or anything else. Just let me know when the WiFi Store update is scheduled. I don't think that breaks Apple's no-tell on unannounced products rule, since this has indeed been announced. "Later this month" is just irritating. Lie to me and say Sept. 28th to give yourself a pad for problems even though your planning it for today. Then I'll be surprised if it's early. I know it's just an iPhone but I'm not good with unknowns and ambiguous waiting periods in general, even for trivial matters.

overcast
Sep 17, 2007, 10:41 AM
I can live without iChat right now, but no MMS is just silly for a multimedia phone.

meichow
Sep 17, 2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks so much guys

Guess ill just have to try my luck this week ...

I'm actually in Hong Kong, so i have no choice BUT to iunlock it haha

GTiPhone
Sep 17, 2007, 10:45 AM

So the internet connection that you do use is SO slow that it can't download 2 megabyte songs? What are you doing with an iPhone if you can't afford a real internet connection?

I agree that this is huge plus for being away from home, especially since I don't have a laptop anymore....but this is the WI-FI music store, not the EDGE music store. You're gonna drive to the nearest Atlanta Bread Company to download a song?

I completely fail to see how this has anything to do with the pros of a WiFi music store....we're talking about 4 and 8 gigabyte devices here....how often are you going to buy movies?

Ok this is certainly NOT a reason, because 99.9% of iPhone users are syncing with iTunes under windows or osx. the .1% exception are complete and total nerds.

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 10:50 AM
I can live without iChat right now, but no MMS is just silly for a multimedia phone.

I think the reason no iChat in the first place is they couldn't decide how to charge it. Mobile phone AIM clients are a dime a dozen, so it would have been easy for Apple to do an iChat. But the standard practice for most carriers with phones that include IM clients, they don't require data plans to use them, they just bill against your voice minutes for as long as you're logged in, or sometimes just as long as you're in an active chat session. 5 minutes talking to your friend takes the same toll on your minutes usage as 5 minutes IM'ing your friend. But iPhone users are going to expect an IM client, an iChat, to be a data service, not a minutes-usage service. So how do they handle it?

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'll defend the OP on the broadband issue. Believe it or not there are still some rural places you just can't get it; maybe you can get some awful, expensive high-latency satellite connection or an equally awful ISDN connection. And if he does travel a lot and is never home, maybe trying to find a broadband solution for his home just doesn't matter so much.

But, on the complete other hand, if you bought an iPhone and don't use a computer that runs iTunes, you totally bought the wrong smartphone. The iPhone, and iPod for that matter, are not self-contained media devices, or self-contained data devices, or self-contained anythings; they are not designed or intended to be used stand-alone without iTunes integration. Period. So if you bought one and won't use iTunes you will never have the full potential of the device. It's like buying an Xbox 360 and hoping to play PlayStation 3 games: you can play the stuff they make for both consoles in an Xbox version only, some of the same games they have for PlayStation, but you can't play PlayStation 3 games at all, period.

So the internet connection that you do use is SO slow that it can't download 2 megabyte songs? What are you doing with an iPhone if you can't afford a real internet connection?

I agree that this is huge plus for being away from home, especially since I don't have a laptop anymore....but this is the WI-FI music store, not the EDGE music store. You're gonna drive to the nearest Atlanta Bread Company to download a song?

I completely fail to see how this has anything to do with the pros of a WiFi music store....we're talking about 4 and 8 gigabyte devices here....how often are you going to buy movies?

Ok this is certainly NOT a reason, because 99.9% of iPhone users are syncing with iTunes under windows or osx. the .1% exception are complete and total nerds.

overcast
Sep 17, 2007, 11:01 AM
I think the reason no iChat in the first place is they couldn't decide how to charge it. Mobile phone AIM clients are a dime a dozen, so it would have been easy for Apple to do an iChat. But the standard practice for most carriers with phones that include IM clients, they don't require data plans to use them, they just bill against your voice minutes for as long as you're logged in, or sometimes just as long as you're in an active chat session. 5 minutes talking to your friend takes the same toll on your minutes usage as 5 minutes IM'ing your friend. But iPhone users are going to expect an IM client, an iChat, to be a data service, not a minutes-usage service. So how do they handle it?
I'll go along with that, but like I said MMS is NO BRAINER. I mean cmon, having to goto "viewmymessage.com" and input a username and password to view an image. Which coincidentally uses FLASH to display it! Everyone send random pics to one another all the time, this is a gimme.

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
I'll go along with that, but like I said MMS is NO BRAINER. I mean cmon, having to goto "viewmymessage.com" and input a username and password to view an image. Which coincidentally uses FLASH to display it! Everyone send random pics to one another all the time, this is a gimme.

Yeah, everyone already bills MMS at MMS rates or on SMS plans, anyway. There's already a billing structure for it. I don't why they didn't do it, unless it was just a hold-back, maybe until they enable video clip recording on the camera so they can say, "You can now record short videos and send them to your friend's e-mail at home, his iPhone, or if he's not with-it enough to have an iPhone yet, to any MMS-capable mobile phone." You know the rap.

Anyway, I'm sick of waiting for the update for something the iPod touch already has. Yes, I'm whining, but they could drop this thing at 4 or 5 this afternoon Pacific Time and not give anything away for the UK press event. For one that's almost midnight in the UK, and two, new features for American iPhones don't officially mean anything for the UK press event because Apple has not officially said it's an iPhone announcement. The sudden $200 price drop bothered me a lot less than not getting an iPod feature pretty quick after the stripped-down iPod version of the iPhone already has it.

Peace
Sep 17, 2007, 11:26 AM

Just a thought...
I could be wrong but the "LL" in the model number probably designates it as an Apple Store product as opposed to an AT&T Store product.Mine is the MA712 and I got it at the AT&T store.People with the MA712LL probably got it through Apple..

Could be wrong though.

Firmware update 1.1.1 should come out later this afternoon.

Fuchal
Sep 17, 2007, 11:32 AM
I could be wrong but the "LL" in the model number probably designates it as an Apple Store product as opposed to an AT&T Store product.Mine is the MA712 and I got it at the AT&T store.People with the MA712LL probably got it through Apple..

Could be wrong though.

I bought mine at the Apple Store and the phone says MA712.

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 11:34 AM

I don't know who you are and why you think you should know such a thing, but I'm just going to go with you on this one. I've been up since about 2:30 working, so I'm just going to crash and hope when I wake up or thereabouts the update will be there to grab. Waiting is making me crabby, which is really just silly, considering.

Peace
Sep 17, 2007, 11:37 AM
I bought mine at the Apple Store and the phone says MA712.

See!! I said I could be wrong. ;)

I don't know who you are and why you think you should know such a thing, but I'm just going to go with you on this one. I've been up since about 2:30 working, so I'm just going to crash and hope when I wake up or thereabouts the update will be there to grab. Waiting is making me crabby, which is really just silly, considering.

My opinion is based purely on the iPhone being introduced in London at 2AM Cupertino time.If they show it off there and it's 2AM here I'm guessing the firmware would be out by then.

Fuchal
Sep 17, 2007, 12:12 PM

My opinion is based purely on the iPhone being introduced in London at 2AM Cupertino time.If they show it off there and it's 2AM here I'm guessing the firmware would be out by then.

I hope you are right!! :D

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Once it gets past 4PM Pacific time, it's midnight in London and there's not really any point holding the firmware update until 2AM, as then you might as well just release it first thing Tuesday morning, which will be six or seven hours *after* they roll it out in London with no good reason to have that long a lag between UK roll out and stateside update.

Plus I don't think it could hurt the hype one bit for some Brits to stay up late to see all the new things the iPhone may do with the update, making them even more excited for what is flat-out known to be the UK iPhone announcement.

Logic would dictate, why make stateside customers wait to avoid divulging features that can only heighten the anticipation for the 10AM London announcement? Even if they announce a forthcoming 16GB model in London -- I swear there will *not* be 3G in it -- the firmware update isn't going to give that away. And I have to assume the software is totally ready if they're going to be showing it off at the London event; they just held it until closer to the event. Anyway, logic would dictate... But then again this is Apple we're talking about.

Nighty night.

boeingair
Sep 17, 2007, 12:24 PM
Not sure if anyone has seen this--on Apple's LivePage, the following is one of the images, citing the WiFi iTunes Music Store as being available on iPhone and iPod Touch.

Hopefully this means the update really is coming soon.

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 12:38 PM
Not sure if anyone has seen this--on Apple's LivePage, the following is one of the images, citing the WiFi iTunes Music Store as being available on iPhone and iPod Touch.

Hopefully this means the update really is coming soon.

Uh, yeah, if they don't pull it within an hour, I think you're right. I never use the Start Page but tons of people just leave it as their default home page, and a whole lot of iPhone users are going to see that and be like why doesn't my iPhone do that? Call Apple support, call Apple Stores, tie up lines, generally be confused, generally be miffed. So if they're calling it available on iPhone and not coming soon to iPhone on the Start Page, it looks like this afternoon stateside time zones is a good bet.

Bostonian1976
Sep 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
Uh, yeah, if they don't pull it within an hour, I think you're right. I never use the Start Page but tons of people just leave it as their default home page, and a whole lot of iPhone users are going to see that and be like why doesn't my iPhone do that? Call Apple support, call Apple Stores, tie up lines, generally be confused, generally be miffed. So if they're calling it available on iPhone and not coming soon to iPhone on the Start Page, it looks like this afternoon stateside time zones is a good bet.

nah - link to it - it will take you to the itunes wifi section where it says "later this month"

who knows...

Peace
Sep 17, 2007, 12:51 PM
nah - link to it - it will take you to the itunes wifi section where it says "later this month"

who knows...

I clicked on the click through and it took me here

No mention of "coming soon"

nevermind I saw it in the middle of a sentence

Bostonian1976
Sep 17, 2007, 12:53 PM
I clicked on the click through and it took me here

No mention of "coming soon"

from that page...

Later this month, just find yourself a Wi-Fi hot spot and tap the iTunes button. From there you have access to more than six million songs. No matter where “there” is.

ghall
Sep 17, 2007, 01:11 PM

Well, it's been over an hour and it's still there.

from that page...

Well, today counts as later in the month. :rolleyes:

C'mon Apple, that space between the Settings and iPod icons is starting to look empty. And I have $10 in iTunes credit just waiting to get spent. :p

dkeady
Sep 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
Where is this page you are all talking about I can't find it or see it?

ghall
Sep 17, 2007, 01:21 PM
Where is this page you are all talking about I can't find it or see it?

http://www.apple.com/startpage/

Fuchal
Sep 17, 2007, 02:21 PM
Come on, Steve, you can release it now. :D

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
This is obviously waiting on the UK press event. It's really a matter of whether they decide to release it this evening-ish stateside time zones, after UK business is thoroughly closed for the day, or they decide to release it stateside several hours after the UK event when Apple headquarters opens for business Tuesday morning.

You're right, though, about "later in the month". Apple has detectable patterns how they loosely announce release dates. Coming this spring means June, maybe a few days before official start of summer. Likewise, available this fall, the last couple of days before winter officially begins.

If Jobs had meant end of September, by the pattern he would have said "coming to iPhone before October" or "before next month", which would have meant the 28th, last business day before October. Later in the month, according to Apple speak, usually means about 10 days to 2 weeks from the day its mentioned.

In my opinion, there's no way they'll roll out the new features in the UK without doing the stateside update within several hours before or after the UK announcement. And there's no way they'll announce in the UK without the WiFi Store on there. Remember, they're losing revenue every minute a million iPhones can't buy on the WiFi Store -- in fact, I think if they were having problems with other parts of the update, they would just strip them out and only do the WiFi Store to get it deployed. So this thing is done, they just have set a time they're going to release it. A time we don't know. 7 or 8 EDT today wouldn't surprise me (Appleinsider mentioned a source said "as early as Monday", which would of course mean the source said some time Monday and Appleinsider is just hedging). Mid-evening EDT is late enough not to waffle the UK announcement, but early enough avid iPhone owners will already have it when they wake up and the details of the UK announcement are clear -- or they can immediately grab it before heading to work. Also late enough that if there are problems there are only very few active hours left before support and engineering open again Tuesday morning.

Well, it's been over an hour and it's still there.

Well, today counts as later in the month. :rolleyes:

C'mon Apple, that space between the Settings and iPod icons is starting to look empty. And I have $10 in iTunes credit just waiting to get spent. :p

lampcov
Sep 17, 2007, 03:31 PM
I don't think the update is tied to the announcement at all (though I hope I'm wrong). Here's why...

If the iPhone ISN'T going on sale tomorrow in the UK then why would they need to release the firmware in the US tomorrow? It's not like the UK users would have the jump on the US feature wise.

Apple announced the Touch with wifi Store and didn't update the iPhone, then Touch hit the stores with Wifi Store, still no iPhone update. The Sept 28th ship date was an Apple.com date, not overall release date as we have seen.

It's my guess that we will see the update either with the release (not announcement) of the iPhone on a European carrier, OR whenever Jobso is darn good and ready.

Again, I hope I'm wrong...But if this new firmware is like the Touch, with all the issues holding up Jailbreak on it, I'm in no great rush to lose my 3rd party apps, unless there is something much bigger than WiFi iTunes...perhaps iChat or PLEASE Exchange Support.

Just my uninformed 2 cents... (2p)

Telp
Sep 17, 2007, 03:38 PM
I don't think the update is tied to the announcement at all (though I hope I'm wrong). Here's why...

If the iPhone ISN'T going on sale tomorrow in the UK then why would they need to release the firmware in the US tomorrow? It's not like the UK users would have the jump on the US feature wise.

Apple announced the Touch with wifi Store and didn't update the iPhone, then Touch hit the stores with Wifi Store, still no iPhone update. The Sept 28th ship date was an Apple.com date, not overall release date as we have seen.

It's my guess that we will see the update either with the release (not announcement) of the iPhone on a European carrier, OR whenever Jobso is darn good and ready.

Again, I hope I'm wrong...But if this new firmware is like the Touch, with all the issues holding up Jailbreak on it, I'm in no great rush to lose my 3rd party apps, unless there is something much bigger than WiFi iTunes...perhaps iChat or PLEASE Exchange Support.

I do agree with you, i am having my skepticism about tomorrow bringing any new updates. It just doesn't make sense to me. Unless it was released then it would make some sense, still, i have my doubts, but heres to hoping im wrong!

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 04:06 PM
I'd argue you based on the merits of lost revenue. They will at least get the WiFi Store out as soon as possible, as there are many more iPhones in the market now to use it than iPod touches.

I'd also argue that it's not because it will go on sale in the UK tomorrow, but because they will demo the new features -- and probably have the updated feature models on display in the Apple Stores in London -- and if they are showing off the new features as part of the iPhone package, and the features are obviously ready to go, they'll release it to the people who already have iPhones.

But I don't have to argue these points. Jobs said later this month for at least the WiFi Store for iPhone. No EU carrier will launch by the end of this month; announce, but not sell. So considering that, 15 minutes from now is as good as 30th Sept.

Plus the shots of the iPhone for the rebate program showed firmware 1.1.1 which means it's out there and it's very likely out there on production units.

I think we're all just getting a negative attitude because we really expected it Friday after iPod touches unexpectedly hit retail stores. I still say tonight, or at the latest first thing tomorrow morning Pacific Time. But it may not include much more than Home button configuration, the WiFi Store and the international keyboard layouts. Other big features may be delayed until closer to Christmas -- to push holiday buyers off the fence.

Really, I just want the WiFi Store -- anything else right now is just a perk, so I won't be upset if that's all we get.

ivi7
Sep 17, 2007, 04:09 PM
I hope it comes out tomorrow I can't wait anymore. :(

ghall
Sep 17, 2007, 04:17 PM
I hope it comes out tomorrow I can't wait anymore. :(

Tomorrow? How about today. It's less than 2 hours until midnight in UK, so why not?

mcsoko
Sep 17, 2007, 04:30 PM
Please Steve, I can't take it anymore! :D

I have high hopes, but will prolly be disapointed. Mostly because I am hoping that we get iChat, but I would take MMS as a second prize though.

Wonder when we will see really big improvements like being able to save images from the web and use them as backgrounds/slideshows, folders in Mail, custom sounds for new messages, etc.

Fuchal
Sep 17, 2007, 04:51 PM
I heard from a reliable source what the announcements today will be.

Part 1: The iPhone is being shelved, just like the Cube. No more software updates, sorry. Europe wouldn't play along, so they quit.

One More Thing: Steve is kicking Leopard up a notch. That means they're skipping 10.5 completely, since they haven't had time to work on it, and are going straight to 10.6, complete with brand new features such as resolution independence, and home on ipod. Available October 2008.

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 04:55 PM
Please Steve, I can't take it anymore! :D

I have high hopes, but will prolly be disapointed. Mostly because I am hoping that we get iChat, but I would take MMS as a second prize though.

Wonder when we will see really big improvements like being able to save images from the web and use them as backgrounds/slideshows, folders in Mail, custom sounds for new messages, etc.

I think because of the two-year carrier contracts, the high cost -- even still with the price cut -- the required contract extension if you activate a new iPhone, the new activation fees, etc., it will be difficult to sell most customers new iPhones every year or so like they can iPods, even with some significant hardware feature updates. Each iPhone model has a life cycle more like a computer, 3 - 5 years, than a trendy luxury item like an iPod -- not that the iPhone isn't trendy, too -- or run-of-the-mill mobile phones, which are cheaper, easier to use unlocked and people will change out more often. Therefore Apple will have less motivation to put out two new revised models every year, and the only way to keep people interested, so when they are ready to buy a new smartphone they again buy an iPhone, is to spread out the feature enhancements so they feel like they are continuing to get new and useful features over at least the life of the contract.

You want people's fascination, via software feature updates, with their current iPhone models to run out 6 - 12 months after the contract expires but not after only six months, so they have a continuity of "new toy" experience until they'll buy the latest model and re-up with AT&T for another two years.

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 04:58 PM

Part 1: The iPhone is being shelved, just like the Cube. No more software updates, sorry. Europe wouldn't play along, so they quit.

One More Thing: Steve is kicking Leopard up a notch. That means they're skipping 10.5 completely, since they haven't had time to work on it, and are going straight to 10.6, complete with brand new features such as resolution independence, and home on ipod. Available October 2008.

Funny. Anyway, I think Home on iPod is dead for good. Affordable flash memory will begin to approach reasonable lower end micro-HDD capacities, but it will be too late because of all the massive amounts of high quality video and such people are now storing on their computers.

overcast
Sep 17, 2007, 04:59 PM

gtfo.

specops
Sep 17, 2007, 05:16 PM
gtfo. QFT

Nall
Sep 17, 2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, everyone already bills MMS at MMS rates or on SMS plans, anyway. There's already a billing structure for it. I don't why they didn't do it, unless it was just a hold-back, maybe until they enable video clip recording on the camera so they can say, "You can now record short videos and send them to your friend's e-mail at home, his iPhone, or if he's not with-it enough to have an iPhone yet, to any MMS-capable mobile phone." You know the rap.
I can only assume MMS is the new two-button mouse.

Anyway, I'm sick of waiting for the update for something the iPod touch already has. Yes, I'm whining, but they could drop this thing at 4 or 5 this afternoon Pacific Time and not give anything away for the UK press event.
Wrong. The protection on the iPhone OS download has been cracked, so if European iPhones are shipping with this version of the software, people might find about who-is-carrying-it before the official announcement. Which is precisely the sort of the thing Apple would wait to prevent.

FreeState
Sep 17, 2007, 06:06 PM
Wrong. The protection on the iPhone OS download has been cracked, so if European iPhones are shipping with this version of the software, people might find about who-is-carrying-it before the official announcement. Which is precisely the sort of the thing Apple would wait to prevent.

Why would they include the files for that now instead of just using an update right before the European version ships, after all I doubt its shipping for at-least another month - which will have at-least one update (there has been one per month so far).

confirmed
Sep 17, 2007, 06:10 PM
Why would they include the files for that now instead of just using an update right before the European version ships, after all I doubt its shipping for at-least another month - which will have at-least one update (there has been one per month so far).

i don't know why everyone seems to think the euro iphone won't be shipping for another month or so.. why would apple have the u.k. event in an apple store, if it's not going to be available to buy at that apple store directly after? i think they'll be selling the iphone at noon gmt tomorrow.

klimegreen
Sep 17, 2007, 06:27 PM
I hear that Apple's 1.1.1 iPhone release is a "world" release... meaning one set of software for AT&T in the US and its European carrier(s). So it should come out coincident with the availability of the iPhones in Europe. We shall see...

-
Sammy / with iPhone (http://personafile.com/Apple-iPhone-8GB-P885909100178.htm)

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 06:31 PM
I can only assume MMS is the new two-button mouse.

Well, you know, it's 6:30 in the evening local time for me now and I've other things to do until I go to bed in several hours, so I'm perfectly glad to go along with you that the update won't be released until tomorrow after the UK announcement, as by the time I wake up the whole UK show will be either just starting or just over -- I get up early -- and the update will either be released or imminent, so none of today's hoping for a release today matter any more.

It does, frankly, make sense to hold off the whole stateside update deal, potential carrier information, new features, etc., until right after the UK announcement around 4 AM my time. For all I know they have employees set up at headquarters to be there to post the update in the middle of the night Pacific Time so we get it as soon as the UK announcement wraps up.

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 06:33 PM
I hear that Apple's 1.1.1 iPhone release is a "world" release... meaning one set of software for AT&T in the US and its European carrier(s). So it should come out coincident with the availability of the iPhones in Europe. We shall see...

-
Sammy / with iPhone (http://personafile.com/Apple-iPhone-8GB-P885909100178.htm)

Provided they actually go on sale tomorrow. I don't think they're going to make us wait past the announcement, once the UK deal is out of the bag. There are other EU deals in the works, some not until maybe November, and Jobs definitely said the WiFi Store update would be out some time in September.

gusapple
Sep 17, 2007, 06:37 PM
Provided they actually go on sale tomorrow. I don't think they're going to make us wait past the announcement, once the UK deal is out of the bag. There are other EU deals in the works, some not until maybe November, and Jobs definitely said the WiFi Store update would be out some time in September.

I would agree with that. I think the fact that the iPhone does not yet support international languages is a huge factor. Why would Apple announce an iPhone update, though, that didn't have everything that the iPod does? Only time will tell.

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 07:19 PM
Hey they just released iTunes 7.4.2, which kills the latest free ringtone workarounds of course, but also includes a number of unnamed fixes and/or enhancements. I would say that's prepping for UK launch -- I'm starting to think maybe they will put iPhones on sale tomorrow in the London Apple Store -- and stateside firmware update. Especially since the install did something it's never done before whether my iPhone or iPod was docked or not -- the new iTunes launched *before* the software update was complete, during a phase software update described as "Installing Apple Mobile Device Support". Sounds like changes to the link between iPhone and iTunes, again to make ready for the new firmware update tomorrow, probably pretty early in stateside time zones. 7.4.2 thing being the last step that had to do before updating the iPhone firmware. I hate to hope this update might be something of a major feature upgrade beyond WiFi Store, but maybe so.

ZooCrewMan
Sep 18, 2007, 02:02 AM
It's 12:00 am Pacific Time...I can't get to the Software update server...anyone else having the same problem?

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 02:04 AM
It's 12:00 am Pacific Time...I can't get to the Software update server...anyone else having the same problem?

Hold... Lemme check.

UPDATE: Works fine for me. I don't expect the update until at least in the morning Pacific Time, like 8-ish. So I don't know that sitting up is worth it. I'll be up, so if after the UK announcement the firmware update goes live in the middle of the night Pacific Time, i'll post to this thread.

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 04:40 AM
UK iPhone is on O2. It's EDGE, it's the same model as the US model, but to placate the UK being accustomed to 3G, as part of the O2 plans, they've worked out a free WiFi deal for UK iPhone users with Cloud's network of something like 7,500 access points across the UK.

The iPhone Jobs was showing off had the WiFi Store app on it, so presumably it is a 1.1.1 firmware iPhone he has. A reporter asked about it and Jobs told him what it was and that it is "coming this month to the UK" meaning that even with iPod touch there is no UK WiFi Store as yet. Because he certainly wasn't talking about iPhone WiFi Store access in the UK because the iPhone doesn't go on sale in the UK until 9th November.

So far I don't see any reason to have held off the iPhone firmware update in the States over this, so we may not be getting it today after all.

Jobs said about the iPod touch, "Well, one's a phone, and one's not. The iPod touch is training wheels for the iPhone." Cute. Be nice if that were true if they'd get those iPod touch training wheel features like the WiFi store onto our iPhones.

UPDATE: It's over. Nothing new. Only a big deal if you've been waiting for iPhone in the UK. If we get the firmware update today it will be coincidence with nothing to do with UK announcement. There was no reason to hold it up for this announcement. It looks like it's ready to go since it's on the iPhone Jobs is carrying around for the UK launch. If anything is holding it up it's probably trying to break anySIM, which is annoying, both holding us up trying to break it, and the people who demanded it and developed it, which is holding us up moving forward with iPhone updates.

lampcov
Sep 18, 2007, 06:31 AM
I didn't want to quote my own post, and I wish I was wrong, but as predicted (at this point) the firmware release wasn't tied to the announcement at all. It looks like we're at Cupertinos mercy again.

Look on the bright side, if they are going to break 3rd party apps on the iPhone with this update in the same way they have with the Touch, it just gives the Devs more time to work it out on the Touch before we're locked out of our iphones

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 07:35 AM
That's the problem: I don't want third-party apps; I want the first-party apps. Before the iPhone ever went on sale Jobs stated that support for third-party native apps would be given some consideration but was not really in the picture -- web apps were the way there were going. So I knew going in, as did everyone else, that if you wanted an open platform, iPhone was not for you.

I bought an iPhone because I wanted something simple in the phone, iPod and communications/PDA-ish category. That's what I got. It's fine that some people want more, but they should buy a different device or keep their hacking to themselves so that the company that designed the device isn't forced in order to keep the design as intended to weigh down their target market with a bunch of updates and various machinations.

I didn't want to quote my own post, and I wish I was wrong, but as predicted (at this point) the firmware release wasn't tied to the announcement at all. It looks like we're at Cupertinos mercy again.

Look on the bright side, if they are going to break 3rd party apps on the iPhone with this update in the same way they have with the Touch, it just gives the Devs more time to work it out on the Touch before we're locked out of our iphones

lampcov
Sep 18, 2007, 07:49 AM
That's the problem: I don't want third-party apps; I want the first-party apps. Before the iPhone ever went on sale Jobs stated that support for third-party native apps would be given some consideration but was not really in the picture -- web apps were the way there were going. So I knew going in, as did everyone else, that if you wanted an open platform, iPhone was not for you.

I bought an iPhone because I wanted something simple in the phone, iPod and communications/PDA-ish category. That's what I got. It's fine that some people want more, but they should buy a different device or keep their hacking to themselves so that the company that designed the device isn't forced in order to keep the design as intended to weigh down their target market with a bunch of updates and various machinations.

Sanford, So as long as people are hacking a device you don't own it's cool? "Go ahead, hack all you want...until I get that device, then you can move on so as not to inconvenience me..." Nice attitude.

As I said in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=356843) in response to you, the dev community has little or no impact at all on Apple's timeline for software updates to the iPhone, it's all revenue, marketing, and product development related.

For the record, if they close the iPhone I'll be upset, sure. But I bought it knowing it was closed and am fine with that if it shakes out that way. A little like losing something you liked, sure, but yeah, I'll live without it.

whistler72
Sep 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
It sucks that they want us to think different, but not when their wallet is concerned.

GTiPhone
Sep 18, 2007, 03:26 PM
Sanford, So as long as people are hacking a device you don't own it's cool? "Go ahead, hack all you want...until I get that device, then you can move on so as not to inconvenience me..." Nice attitude.

As I said in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=356843) in response to you, the dev community has little or no impact at all on Apple's timeline for software updates to the iPhone, it's all revenue, marketing, and product development related.

For the record, if they close the iPhone I'll be upset, sure. But I bought it knowing it was closed and am fine with that if it shakes out that way. A little like losing something you liked, sure, but yeah, I'll live without it.

I dunno if I can agree with you. I am 10X happier today with my iPhone than I would be minus installer.app and all the wonder that comes with it.

mariedoc
Sep 18, 2007, 08:17 PM
With the way things have been going lately at Apple, I would not be at all surprised if they don't charge for the update for the iPhone.

They charge for big updates for the macs.

Hope they don't, but it could be a possibility. No?

dadsp33k
Sep 19, 2007, 04:08 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

megfilmworks
Sep 19, 2007, 04:42 PM
With the way things have been going lately at Apple, I would not be at all surprised if they don't charge for the update for the iPhone.

Maybe some day, but doubt they will charge you to load iTunes wifi and Starbucks' song plugger software on your phone. Doesn't make any sense financially. After all how much does the latest version of iTunes cost?

cjosee
Sep 19, 2007, 09:45 PM
Sorry, i have remove the pic.

question fear
Sep 19, 2007, 09:49 PM
iTuen In my iPhone

Hacked or you somehow got a hold of the update?

BLACK MAC
Sep 19, 2007, 09:52 PM
I just checked to see if the update was there, and it isn't. :(

billchase2
Sep 20, 2007, 09:42 AM

They won't charge for iPhone updates... at least at this point. Yes, this looks like it's going to be a rather big update, but it's not like a total new operating system. It's just a small firmware update to a new product and if they charged for it, it would anger MANY iPhone users... probably more than the price reduction did.

Bradley W
Sep 20, 2007, 04:51 PM
Okay, its a Thursday, its late afternoon... please release the update.

gusapple
Sep 20, 2007, 05:02 PM
Looks like a guy on Apple's forums is going to die.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1142267&tstart=0

Boomer85
Sep 20, 2007, 06:22 PM
What did it say? Fill us in...I clicked the link and it's now down!

gusapple
Sep 20, 2007, 06:33 PM
What did it say? Fill us in...I clicked the link and it's now down!

Some stupid guy said that he had just gotten the update and over 30 different people were cursing him. Yeah, it was closed because it's not relevant.

Boomer85
Sep 20, 2007, 06:46 PM
That figures...I knew ever since the update wasn't released on 9/5 that until it did come out, the "smart ones" would be coming out of the wood-work saying they have it, or their friend has it, etc... Man, I'd almost rather clean the bathroom than play Mickey Mouse games on a forum playing games like that!

"Tag you're it..."

TurboSC
Sep 20, 2007, 07:00 PM
I just hope they'll have the international roaming function I can turn off edge etc. I'm going to be in China soon, and I sure as hell don't want the iPhone to be checking my mail ever 5 minutes.

drummingcraig
Sep 20, 2007, 07:07 PM
I just hope they'll have the international roaming function I can turn off edge etc. I'm going to be in China soon, and I sure as hell don't want the iPhone to be checking my mail ever 5 minutes.

More importantly, it would be nice to be able to access mail you already have without checking/downloading new ones. I know it won't work for larger emails, but the smaller ones usually stay on-board. Thats what killed me on data charges when I was in Europe back in July.

Craig

megfilmworks
Sep 20, 2007, 07:39 PM

Just go to email settings and switch to "check manually". Problem solved.

overcast
Sep 20, 2007, 07:42 PM
No stop, that's way to logical. They have to complain about it.

Or wait, better yet. Ready for this, TURN OFF YOUR PHONE.

mickeymikey
Sep 20, 2007, 07:43 PM
I just posted this in a related thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4214822#post4214822

overcast
Sep 20, 2007, 07:54 PM

:eek::eek:

DeathChill
Sep 20, 2007, 08:10 PM

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, people still need to use their phone but they don't want the data to be used.

A button to turn off EDGE completely would be the best as you can accidentally hit a button (e.g. Safari) and start costing yourself money.

overcast
Sep 20, 2007, 08:18 PM
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, people still need to use their phone but they don't want the data to be used.

A button to turn off EDGE completely would be the best as you can accidentally hit a button (e.g. Safari) and start costing yourself money.
How many are you accidentally hitting that safari button? Racking up hundreds of megs by accidentally hitting buttons. You realize it's going to cost you big money to use your phone internationally on voice right?

DeathChill
Sep 20, 2007, 08:39 PM
How many are you accidentally hitting that safari button? Racking up hundreds of megs by accidentally hitting buttons. You realize it's going to cost you big money to use your phone internationally on voice right?

It's not going to be anywhere as near as bad as using data. I'm sure they don't mind using their phone to make a call or two but they don't want to accidentally use data.

javaGuru
Sep 20, 2007, 08:50 PM
It's not going to be anywhere as near as bad as using data. I'm sure they don't mind using their phone to make a call or two but they don't want to accidentally use data.

I'm sure this is especially true when travelling over seas. I've heard of some hefty phone bills due to very expensive data usage while roaming internationally.

indianboy010
Sep 20, 2007, 09:00 PM
im going to india in 2 days and i was going to bring my iphone with me. but is there anyway that i wont use data while im over there and still use it as a ipod and use wifi.
thx shivam

p0intblank
Sep 20, 2007, 09:02 PM
:eek::eek:

Don't get too excited. That particular iPhone was hacked using Installer.app.

javaGuru
Sep 20, 2007, 09:06 PM
im going to india in 2 days and i was going to bring my iphone with me. but is there anyway that i wont use data while im over there and still use it as a ipod and use wifi.
thx shivam

I believe you could with this update that is supposed to be released soon. It will give you the option to turn off the edge network. I just tried to turn on wifi while in airplane mode but it didn't work. It asked me if i was sure I wanted to turn on wifi. When I confirmed my option it turned airplane mode off and proceded to turn on wifi. I was hoping this would be an option but I guess the only true way to ensure that edge is off and still use wifi is to wait for update 1.1.1.

drummingcraig
Sep 20, 2007, 10:46 PM

That solves the problem...as long as you don't tap the mail button on accident.

Also, several times when I was surfing the web via wifi, the signal dropped for a second and the phone automatically switched over the EDGE. I usually noticed this and exited Safari however a couple times I was distracted and didn't see what was going on until a "rich content" page had almost completely downloaded via EDGE. :(

An EDGE switch would fix this problem permanently.

Thats a great solution...a genius is amongst us. :rolleyes:

I didn't buy an iPhone so that I could turn it off when I travel and NO ONE should have to unless they don't want to use it for anything but media.

Craig

megfilmworks
Sep 20, 2007, 11:03 PM

That switch is in the iTunes update coming soon to a cradle near you!

Fast Shadow
Sep 21, 2007, 02:49 AM

That's the journalist's phone, and it's obviously hacked. One of the icons is for Installer and another is for Launcher.

TPALTony
Sep 21, 2007, 11:49 AM

You may have missed the original posters point. Namely...

1) Setting check mail to Manual will NOT solve the problem. If you go into Mail to read mail you already downloaded, it DOWNLOADS mail, even if set to manual. No way to stop it.

2) You accidentally tap on stocks, or weather. Then you press Home again. Doesn't stop it downloading.

3) You go into Safari while trying to tap iPod, it starts to refresh pages. Exiting to Home does NOT stop this.

4) The user wants the get calls, but NOT use data. There is no way to do this on iPhone right now.

In short, this device does lots of things with data that you don't even notice and cannot control. This is great, except when you're paying a fortune in roaming charges. Speaking as someone who ran up 1100 bucks in roaming charges, of which only 300 was phone calls a) I did it, I spent it, my bad, but b) It'd be nice to be able to turn off EDGE roaming so that when I do any of the things above it says "Sorry, EDGE is off, can't do that right now." Or better yet, just puts an icon at the top of the screen to tell me and then doesn't pop up messages all the time. c) I'm talking from experience with the device roaming to the UK for 2.5 weeks. I saw this stuff happen. It'd be nice to avoid it. :)

That's convenience, and it's a reasonable request. It's not moaning.

be well

t

Breesha
Sep 21, 2007, 04:29 PM
I've had my iPhone since the day it released, and today, for the first time, I decided to pop out the SIM slot. It could be that I'm just completely idotic and never noticed before, but it says 3G at least twice on the SIM. Have the sims always said that? I probably just wasn't paying attention....heh.:D

drummingcraig
Sep 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
I've had my iPhone since the day it released, and today, for the first time, I decided to pop out the SIM slot. It could be that I'm just completely idotic and never noticed before, but it says 3G at least twice on the SIM. Have the sims always said that? I probably just wasn't paying attention....heh.:D

All of the "newer" AT&T SIMS have the 3G printed on them. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the device is 3G capable.

Craig

Breesha
Sep 21, 2007, 04:50 PM
All of the "newer" AT&T SIMS have the 3G printed on them. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the device is 3G capable.

Craig

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for the heads up!

gusapple
Sep 21, 2007, 04:55 PM
Another possible thing in the update...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=358487

freediverdude
Sep 21, 2007, 05:08 PM
There's talk over on irc that someone opened up their iphone that was recently purchased since the price cut, and that the reason (or part of the reason who knows) for the price cut was that the processor is now an intel one, possibly based on a core solo. Someone was able to remove it and solder on a core2duo and got it to work. Of course this is all just hearsay on my part and i have no proof, so take it for what you will.....

dejo
Sep 21, 2007, 05:16 PM
Also, several times when I was surfing the web via wifi, the signal dropped for a second and the phone automatically switched over the EDGE. I usually noticed this and exited Safari however a couple times I was distracted and didn't see what was going on until a "rich content" page had almost completely downloaded via EDGE. :(
You must've been distracted for quite some time since a "rich content" page is gonna be so much slower to load via EDGE than WiFi. ;)

DeathChill
Sep 21, 2007, 05:17 PM
There's talk over on irc that someone opened up their iphone that was recently purchased since the price cut, and that the reason (or part of the reason who knows) for the price cut was that the processor is now an intel one, possibly based on a core solo. Someone was able to remove it and solder on a core2duo and got it to work. Of course this is all just hearsay on my part and i have no proof, so take it for what you will.....
No, that definitely didn't happen.

drummingcraig
Sep 21, 2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for the heads up!

I know. I was a an existing (out of contract) Cingular customer when I got the iPhone and when I saw the new AT&T SIM with the "3G" logo I got excited too until I realized it was just their standard logo.

Another possible thing in the update...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=358487

I have a feeling in my heart of hearts that this is a blanket message to all AT&T subscribers. To my knowledge, Cingular/AT&T has always charged extra for MMS messages (I don't know about chat messages) so it would make sense to be a big announcement if they decided to include MMS in the normal SMS billing.

Granted I have yet to receive this text from them.

Craig

drummingcraig
Sep 21, 2007, 05:24 PM
You must've been distracted for quite some time since a "rich content" page is gonna be so much slower to load via EDGE than WiFi. ;)

Well, several times I was surfing on the phone while I was in a dressing room full of folks and chatting, etc. Even if I catch it a few seconds after it happens...it doesn't take much to "Earn" a couple bucks on your bill! ;)

Craig

megfilmworks
Sep 21, 2007, 08:56 PM
I racked up less than 20 megs in over 10 days in Europe earlier this month.
I think your estimates of usage are a bit high.