Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
OK, so it's still early, but I got my 16 this morning and so far here's my thoughts....

1.It's still a little buggy. there's been a couple times where I was browsing the internets (you know, that series of tubes?) while listening to music and for no apparent reason the tunes would just stop dead. I'm pretty sure I didn't accidentally touch any controls or anything as I was just reading a web page at the time.

2. It seems like the wi-fi range isn't as strong as my laptop. I was in my back yard were i can always get a good signal on my laptop but was barely able to get one with the touch.

3.It seems like only one web page or so can stay loaded at any given time, which is kind of a bummer. I was hoping to be able to load up on news/mapquest/blogs before traveling and have it all stay in there till i needed it. I can't seem to find a setting to allocate more memory for the browser cache or whatever you call it (probably the wrong terms, but hopefully you know what i mean:))

4. Sometimes it won't come out of cover flow when listening to music, no matter how a shift it around.

overall at this point, i'm still glad i got it, but am hoping these bugs get worked out soon.
so if you're on the fence, it might be a good idea to wait.

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
Nah, just get it if you're on the fence and this is the sort of thing that would put you off. After all, bugs are fixable very quickly via updates, and Apple aren't slow to fix bugs. The 'holding a page in memory' thing sounds like a limitation of the software though, sadly.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
OK, so it's still early, but I got my 16 this morning and so far here's my thoughts....

1.It's still a little buggy. there's been a couple times where I was browsing the internets (you know, that series of tubes?) while listening to music and for no apparent reason the tunes would just stop dead. I'm pretty sure I didn't accidentally touch any controls or anything as I was just reading a web page at the time.

2. It seems like the wi-fi range isn't as strong as my laptop. I was in my back yard were i can always get a good signal on my laptop but was barely able to get one with the touch.

3.It seems like only one web page or so can stay loaded at any given time, which is kind of a bummer. I was hoping to be able to load up on news/mapquest/blogs before traveling and have it all stay in there till i needed it. I can't seem to find a setting to allocate more memory for the browser cache or whatever you call it (probably the wrong terms, but hopefully you know what i mean:))

4. Sometimes it won't come out of cover flow when listening to music, no matter how a shift it around.

overall at this point, i'm still glad i got it, but am hoping these bugs get worked out soon.

1) Haven't had a chance to test this one.

2) I also noticed the WiFi range is a bit weak compared to my Macbook.

3) You can add new pages using the logo in the lower right corner.

4) The device needs to be more or less vertical (as opposed to flat on a desk) for the accelerometers to pick up the motion correctly. Don't know if that's your issue, though.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the iTunes-Safari issue. Same thing - browsing a webpage and then the song just stopped. I double-clicked the Home button to bring up the controls and even though the Playing icon was showing in the top right of the screen, the controls showed it as being paused. I tapped the "Play" button a few times and then it started playing...from the first song on my iPod.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
3. Yep, I got that, but if you add more than a couple, they need to reload when you switch back and forth. not that this is a bug or anything, but i was hoping to be able to load a bunch of pages when i have access to wi-fi and then be able to look at them whenever (checking mapquest directions while on the highway for example).

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the iTunes-Safari issue. Same thing - browsing a webpage and then the song just stopped. I double-clicked the Home button to bring up the controls and even though the Playing icon was showing in the top right of the screen, the controls showed it as being paused. I tapped the "Play" button a few times and then it started playing...from the first song on my iPod.

yep, that's pretty much exactly what happened to me, except one of the times the music icon brought up a blank screen :eek:

i'm sure this is something that'll be taken care of pretty soon in an update....

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
yeh, i've #1 a few times. cant wait to see how the touch will be in the coming months (hacks, etc) :)

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
3. Yep, I got that, but if you add more than a couple, they need to reload when you switch back and forth. not that this is a bug or anything, but i was hoping to be able to load a bunch of pages when i have access to wi-fi and then be able to look at them whenever (checking mapquest directions while on the highway for example).

Probably the simpler the web page, the more that can be held in cache by Safari. This might be increased with hacks down the road, but most likely this is just a limitation of the OS having enough memory to run everything...

What would be REALLY great is if mobile Safari could save web page archives like the desktop Safari. Maybe some day...

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Probably the simpler the web page, the more that can be held in cache by Safari. This might be increased with hacks down the road, but most likely this is just a limitation of the OS having enough memory to run everything...

What would be REALLY great is if mobile Safari could save web page archives like the desktop Safari. Maybe some day...

Along these lines, I think that a Google Maps App on the touch with the ability to save a map for offline use would be fantastic.

Also, you think there's any chance of Google Gears coming out for the iPhone/touch?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

Ahh, I gotcha. Sorry.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
boy, i don't know guys, i'm starting the think the wi-fi reception on this thing isn't just bad, but terrible.

i can barely get a signal from my home network *inside* my house where my laptop always has at least 3 bars.....

please tell me i'm doing something wrong here, 'cause otherwise i really like this thing....

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
I have never had any problems with my iPhone and the home WiFI, I actually am always impressed with the range and the signal quality (full bars).

I go outside on the back deck, upstairs bedroom, out front going to the mailbox, no problems & great signal.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
hmmm, any idea's on what the problem could be? i mean it's literally sitting right next to my macbook which has 4 bars and the touch is getting like 1, and even that one's not very strong...

itsmillertime

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
yeah sometimes when i take the ipod touch out of my pocket, it take a while to switch out of cover flow.

I am annoyed tho that the touch can't download security certificates. My school requires a certificate to access its network, so I think apple needs to have some sort of upgrade that would allow security certificates to be downloaded. Cmon, it already has safari!

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
hmmm.... Could that possibly be why I couldn't get safari to load anything from a public network even though the signal was strong...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.