Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exodemia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I want to play these legendary RPGs in Boot Camp when I get my MacBook Pro, do they work at all? Do they run with the 8600GT? I've actually never finished them so I want to play and finish. And the music..........ahhh heaven :D

Exodemia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Didn't you know? Does XP in Boot Camp support compatibility mode?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have FFVIII for Windows, and I have to run it in (98?) compatibility mode otherwise it has a poor framerate.

Exodemia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah I think a gamepad would be a good idea, Numpad is a pain. What gamepad is the best for a MacBook Pro?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I don't know about FF8 but I play FF7 on my MacBook Pro all the time and it runs just fine, as long as you get the XP patch. Otherwise it will be really unstable.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I've been reading this, thinking it'd probably be easier (and cheaper!) to get a PS1 and copies of FFVII/VIII.

...well, FFVII could be $$.

Good technical exercise, though, getting them to run. If/when I ever get an Intel Mac, I'm sure I'll want to do something similar to run all the Mechwarrior games.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I've been reading this, thinking it'd probably be easier (and cheaper!) to get a PS1 and copies of FFVII/VIII.

I'd tend to agree... they should both be readily available, since there were so many millions of copies of them sold. The PSX should be minimal cost. There're tons of us who have this stuff sitting around in boxes. And it'll really be the most authentic experience, unless you're really obsessed with getting better renderings in the game than the PSX can make.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Unless you need to play these games on the go, it's generally accepted that the PlayStation versions were superior to the computer versions anyway. (the games are the same, but the PlayStation versions run and control a little bit better, from what I hear).

Exodemia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Keeping the original music is better because ff7music doesn't have all PSX music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.