PDA

View Full Version : Wash Post: Cyber-Attacks by Al Qaeda Feared

zimv20
Aug 18, 2003, 09:30 PM
for those not already concerned enough:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50765-2002Jun26.html?referrer=emailarticle

Ugg
Aug 19, 2003, 12:35 AM
The very last bit was very interesting, that private industry doesn't trust the government. gw & co. will only reap what they have sown.

Desertrat
Aug 19, 2003, 08:14 AM
ugg, given that this has been going on for over ten years (insofar as publicly worrying about it), what does GW have to do with damn-all? The problem would still exist with Nader or Hilary sitting in the Oval Office. The impetus and planning for 9/11 began long before GW's tenure.

Whether Al Qaida or some teeny-bopper, the diffrence in danger is one of degree, not kind.

'Rat

mactastic
Aug 19, 2003, 08:50 AM
Question is, what can we do about this?

Desertrat
Aug 19, 2003, 10:59 AM
Hardwired ground telephone circuits, not tied to those which can be accessed via the Internet. And, maybe, not dependent on satellite relaying.

If regular telephone lines are used, scrambling might be a solution or partial solution. Dunno.

'Rat

patrick0brien
Aug 19, 2003, 01:28 PM
-All

I don't know if you saw it, but Al Quaeda has already claimed responsibility for a cyberattack that cause the blackouts.

To me, it's likened to claiming someone elses' fart - they wish they could have caused that stink.

Noone believes them of course.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 19, 2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by patrickObrien
I don't know if you saw it, but Al Quaeda has already claimed responsibility for a cyberattack that cause the blackouts

where did you see that? i hadn't read anything about it...

my parents live on long island, and i called them that evening. my dad was hoping that the blaster worm caused it. :D

patrick0brien
Aug 19, 2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
where did you see that? i hadn't read anything about it...

-Ambrose Chapel

Heard about it Sunday on news radio (AM 780 in Chicago), then read about it on cnn.com Monday.