PDA

View Full Version : getting around file vault on "target disk" iBook- please advise!

batricia
Sep 14, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hi there. I crashed my iBook last week, too little memory remaining and I tried to offload photos to free up some memory and ended up overwhelming the hard drive and now it hangs at the gray apple screen. I have tried booting it up using my other mac, doing the 'target disk' thing, but I can't free anything up because I have file vault turned on in my laptop. Argh! I have googled as much as I can, but I am guessing that it's a tricky situation and my wording isn't technical enough to yield any real results. Can anyone here advise me? I thought I had heard of a way to use Terminal to shut the filevault off, but I don't know anything beyond how to find the terminal.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for reading this!

batricia
Sep 15, 2007, 11:26 AM
Wow. I'm not sure if my non-technical description just reads like jibberish or if I'm really in that unique of a situation that no one has any advice. I guess I have a fancy paperweight now, darn! Back to my old imac, graphite and fresh from...oh, 1999? 2000? At least I know how not to kill that one.