PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Motherboard Replacement

EriKU19
Sep 15, 2007, 02:30 AM
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into replacing a motherboard on my newphews iBook G4. It's an early 2004 Series. I'm wondering if these Ibooks have interchangable motherboards, i.e. 1.0ghz vs 1.2ghz, 12inch screen vs the 14inch screen.

I've done much work on IBM compatible laptops and these interchange pretty easily...but these MAC's are all new to me. I'm looking to get a busted up one off ebay and replace it for him for pretty cheap...

zioxide
Sep 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
You might be able to interchange between a 12'' 1.0 and a 12'' 1.2, but I doubt you'd be able to interchange between a 12'' and a 14''.

BTW, I'd seriously consider not wasting money to replace the logic board in a computer thats over three years old. It's going to cost you as much (or even more) than the computer is worth.

My iBook G4 1.33's logic board just died 2 weeks ago and after research, I found it would cost around $400 if I were to do it myself or close to $700 if Apple was going to do it. That doesn't seem worth it to me on a $500 laptop when you could find a Macbook Core Duo in the refurb store for like 800 bucks.