PDA

View Full Version : ipod cable advice

gsmtech
Aug 19, 2003, 01:39 AM
I went on a trip and lost all of my ipod accessories. I have a second generation ipod. I just bought a new PC and attached a firewire card in it. And I also have Ilink in that computer. My question is, my ipod's running out of battery, so I wanna know if I can recharge my ipod using just my computer using a firewire 6 pin to 6 pin cable. Or do I need to buy a power adapter or do I need to buy both ? If i buy a power adapter, does it come with a cable, and if it does, what cable? Thank you.

MacManDan
Aug 19, 2003, 01:58 AM
6-pin Firewire cables provide power, so I would assume that your PC will be able to recharge your iPod just fine. 4-pin firewire cables are NOT powered and you would need an AC adapter. I all iPod power adapters are firewire plugs, meaning that you would need a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable anyway to use the adapter. The adapter that Apple sells doesn't come with a cable, so you'll need it anyway.

So I would say buy the cable first and try it with your computer. If not, either look into another powering solution (there are others out there) or just buy the Apple adapter

Anna
Aug 24, 2003, 05:19 AM
Your iPod is like a leach... It sucks power from anything... be it an adapter or power cable providing it is a 6 to 6 pin FW

loveshismac
Aug 24, 2003, 04:57 PM
Im afraid you cannot get power from your pci firewire card.
It has to be one attached to the motherboard like a mac.

Sorry

TEG
Aug 24, 2003, 05:17 PM
Only Motherboard based Firewire ports are powered enough for the iPod. Similarly for USB, except that only Mac USB is powered enough. Thats abut the extent of data I can give you... except to suggest you find an Apple retailer and bu a new AC adapter (They will all work) ad use it to recharge your iPod.

bdguyton1
Aug 24, 2003, 07:46 PM
I run a 10 Gig 3rd. Gen. iPod on my Windows computer using a firewire card (it's not built in) and whenever i plug my iPod in, it automatically starts to charge. You should be able to charge your iPod using it, but it might try to sync over and over and over...

ewinemiller
Aug 25, 2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by loveshismac
Im afraid you cannot get power from your pci firewire card.
It has to be one attached to the motherboard like a mac.

Sorry

Depends on the card, my PC FW card has a connector on it so I can hook up one of the harddrive power cables. If it's disconnected it works fine, but if it's connected it can additionally power things like an iPod.