PDA

View Full Version : 1 gig no longer enough? (iBook G4)

Vinnie_vw
Sep 15, 2007, 07:23 AM
Hi all,
I consider myself a recent switcher, well I bought my first iBook ca. 2 years ago, a 12" 1.33 Ghz. After a short while I shifted the ram up to 1 gig and noticed that the speed increased enough to make it a comfortable experience. Note: I don't play games or run graphic apps, I just write and listen to/view media. And everything else considered, the iBook is a perfect machine: light, long battery-life, matte screen, and affordable.

Since a few weeks now, I've had a ton of problems. Safari 3, which is generally great, has been hanging and even when I force-quit it, it remained locked in the dock for some reason. Only a restart helped.

Itunes is very laggy, but that is probably due to my large music-collection, which I recently added to it.

iPhoto, the new one, is very laggy also.

Just now, I had to restart my mac again because everything froze. I'm leaning everything, for the gazillionth time, with Onyx now. I noticed that the mds-process (which runs Spotlight) is often consuming lots of energy also.

So, my question is: Is this a ram problem? Is 1 gig no longer enough? I noticed that Apple has been pushing 2 gigs in its machines now, perhaps a sign that their apps—and those are mainly my problem—require more ram? Will it help if I upgrade to 1.5 gigs or ram—the max an iBook can take?

Please advise. Thanks!

dcv
Sep 15, 2007, 07:31 AM
How full is the hard disk? My old PowerBook G4 used to run nicely with 1.25GB of RAM but when it started running out of disk space it got really sluggish. I managed to free up 9GB the other day just by deleting one of the log files! If your disk is getting full then I'd suggest you run WhatSize (http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/) to see what's taking up the most space... try this before spending money on more RAM :)

iSee
Sep 15, 2007, 07:37 AM
Take a look at the System Memory tab of Activity Monitor after you've been using your computer for a while. I would be ideal to look while you are having problem, but obviously, if every thing's frozen you won't be able to do that.

Also, are you out of disk space?

Maybe Spotlight has gone crazy. Here's a procedure to reset it: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301562
(you could try leaving your drive in the privacy tab to see if that helps.)

CRAZYBUBBA
Sep 15, 2007, 08:14 AM
I have a laptop with similar specs (see my specs). Its def not the Ram. Like the others I suspect disk space is the problem.

Vinnie_vw
Sep 15, 2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I managed to find another couple 100 mb, not much, which I could loose. I'm now up to 1 gig of free space on my system-drive and have another gig free on my dedicated swap-drive (which, before you ask, has worked great so far). Would that be enough?

dcv
Sep 15, 2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I managed to find another couple 100 mb, not much, which I could loose. I'm now up to 1 gig of free space on my system-drive and have another gig free on my dedicated swap-drive (which, before you ask, has worked great so far). Would that be enough?

Yikes, that'll definitely be the problem. Anything less than 5GB free and my PowerBook just doesn't function properly. Have you tried out WhatSize? (see my previous post) You might find that it's one of the log files that's gotten out of control and hogging lots of disk space. You could also delete stuff such as printer drivers or applications you don't use - Garageband loops take up a lot of space.

sananda
Sep 15, 2007, 01:12 PM
i've also got the same ibook. mine was ok with 512 except with coverflow and adobe bridge. i've now got 1.5GB and everything runs beautifully (except magic garageband which doesn't work at all), so as has been suggested to you i don't think it's RAM but your full hard drive.

Vinnie_vw
Sep 15, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hmm, looks like I might have to look at getting a bigger hard-drive instead of more ram then. I did try WhatSize and removed a few hundred megs, but the problem is really that I dedicated 6 GB to my system-drive (which I was told was enough) and keep my swap, user-files, and applications on separate partitions (which until now has worked out fine). And right now I only seem to be able to find 1 gig of free space on that drive...

sananda
Sep 15, 2007, 03:42 PM
Hmm, looks like I might have to look at getting a bigger hard-drive instead of more ram then. I did try WhatSize and removed a few hundred megs, but the problem is really that I dedicated 6 GB to my system-drive (which I was told was enough) and keep my swap, user-files, and applications on separate partitions (which until now has worked out fine). And right now I only seem to be able to find 1 gig of free space on that drive...

obviously i am not sufficiently knowledgeable cos i have no idea what that all means :D

Vinnie_vw
Sep 15, 2007, 03:58 PM
obviously i am not sufficiently knowledgeable cos i have no idea what that all means :D

That's ok. I think I know what I need to do. Get a bigger drive and perhaps stop messing around with maxosxhints :)

Scott982
Sep 15, 2007, 04:18 PM
How full is the hard disk? My old PowerBook G4 used to run nicely with 1.25GB of RAM but when it started running out of disk space it got really sluggish. I managed to free up 9GB the other day just by deleting one of the log files! If your disk is getting full then I'd suggest you run WhatSize (http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/) to see what's taking up the most space... try this before spending money on more RAM :)

Thanks for the link to What Size. I had never heard of it before but managed to free 12gb on my macbook.

Vinnie_vw
Sep 17, 2007, 05:06 AM
Hah, I found out what the problem was. It was my iTunes library, I recently added around 100 GB of music to it. Apparently the way that ITunes stores that information, consumes either insane amounts of ram or insane amounts of swap. In my case, every-time I opened iTunes it a. took around 2 mins to open and b. consumed around 150 mb of swap, until it filled my swap-drive and brought trouble.

I really hope that Apple will be changing this as the 160GB iPod Classic libraries start becoming more common.

sbluetruck
Sep 17, 2007, 07:53 PM
have you checked for outrageously large log files???
those can be deleted without a problem. if a program needs it, it can recreate it and more times than not, it makes a smaller than the previous file.

Vinnie_vw
Sep 18, 2007, 03:28 AM
@sbluetruck read the post above yours. I have identified the problem as being a large iTunes-library.

And to answer your question, I have run Whatsize and have found nothing regarding logs that I could clean (I wish!), as well as running Onyx. But thanks for the suggestion.

I sincerely hope that Apple will release an Itunes which works better with large libaries. And I think someone with a 160 GB ipod might be in real trouble.

The only solution I could come up with now is to delete everything and add albums again as I want to listen to them. The multiple-library option is too tedious. Besides, I'm not sure how well that would work with syncing an iPod...