Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Midnightshowers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Whoaaa-kay. Here we go.

I know C++ is going to be largely more useful for what I want to do, and is generally more used. Thus. In your professional opinions ( :p ), should I learn Cocoa or C++ first?

kpua

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
There are dozens of threads exactly like this one. I think you would benefit the most from searching through them.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
We are getting new threads about C++ almost every other day.. I need to write up a FAQ.

But to answer the question - learn one or the other, not both (for now). Or just learn C, which both are derived from.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's a nonsensical question. C++ is a programming language and Cocoa is an application framework. It's like asking "Engine or Diesel Fuel?"

You should be searching the threads for Cocoa or Carbon or for Objective-C or C/C++. There are plenty of answers out there. :)

charray

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
It's a nonsensical question. C++ is a programming language and Cocoa is an application framework. It's like asking "Engine or Diesel Fuel?"

You should be searching the threads for Cocoa or Carbon or for Objective-C or C/C++. There are plenty of answers out there. :)

It makes some sense if we review his question in another way...

His question seems to be whether to learn C++ or Cocoa first. It does not matter if C++ and Cocoa are the same type of thing. It would be similar to asking "Which one should I understand first, Engine's working principle or Diesel Fuel?" There aren't any problems with this, right? ;)

Returning to the question, I have just learnt C++ and Java in my University. I don't know Cocoa yet. Usually I spend time in terminal so I don't even feel sorry about not knowing how to program outside terminal.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
His question seems to be whether to learn C++ or Cocoa first. It does not matter if C++ and Cocoa are the same type of thing. It would be similar to asking "Which one should I understand first, Engine's working principle or Diesel Fuel?" There aren't any problems with this, right? ;)

there's a flaw in your logic: it doesn't make sense (to me) to learn a framework absent of a language. so if he decides to learn cocoa first, then his next question would be: "okay, now what language?"

it's like deciding to learn Rails before learning anything about Ruby. how much would that actually buy you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.