Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toddburch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Katy, Texas
I've been getting into C some more. I'm reviewing the source code for the Ruby language, and there are some constructs that I do not understand. I've reviewed my in-depth C book and have not come across this construct, and I even tried compiling a test program with this construct, and I got (as expected) compile errors. Here's an example construct:

Code:
static VALUE
rb_obj_is_proc(proc)
    [color=red]VALUE proc;[/color]
{
    if (TYPE(proc) == T_DATA && RDATA(proc)->dfree == (RUBY_DATA_FUNC)blk_free) {
	return Qtrue;
    }
    return Qfalse;
}

What's up with the declaration in red? (FYI, VALUE is defined as a unsigned long).

Thanks, Todd

kpua

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
I could be wrong, but I think it's just an alternate way of declaring the type of the parameters. You'll notice proc is not given a type in the parameter list between then parentheses. I think this is just a legacy feature of C. Why Ruby is using it is beyond me.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
What's up with the declaration in red?

yeah, that's unexpected there. granted, i haven't programmed C in (errrr....) 15 years, so maybe the language has changed to include that.

perhaps the ruby guys wrote their own pre-processor to which such a construct makes sense.

wittegijt

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2007
Eindhoven
I could be wrong, but I think it's just an alternate way of declaring the type of the parameters. You'll notice proc is not given a type in the parameter list between then parentheses. I think this is just a legacy feature of C. Why Ruby is using it is beyond me.

That is correct, it is pre-ANSI-C (K&R C). I thought ANSI-C compilers should not accept it, but I may be wrong.

Wittegijt.

toddburch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Katy, Texas
Ah yes, K&R C, second edition, page 26. Old style, pre ANSI-C.

Thanks!!

Wow - that means in 1988, when the 2nd Ed. was published, this was "old" syntax.

Todd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.