PDA

View Full Version : Beige MT

Unclej78
Aug 19, 2003, 12:57 PM
I'm at a lost. I go this Beige MT, it won' t boot up with the case closed & door shut. I stops booting up before it gets to the extensions. The only way it will boot it with it laying on its side and the drive unit flipped up.

Any ideas or questions?

gopher
Aug 19, 2003, 01:15 PM
That's very weird, but possible. I've heard of cases where the orientation of the drive when the drive was formatted affected whether or not it worked properly in one orientation or not. If you are able to successfully boot it up, backup the all the data to an external hard drive, and reformat it in the orientation that is best for you, and then copy back over the data. Dantz Retrospect Express is the best Mac OS 9 and earlier native backup program and Mac OS X native. If you are just running Mac OS X, Bombich.com's Carbon Copy Cloner is also good.

Unclej78
Aug 19, 2003, 02:49 PM
I'm using 9.2, don't think I formatted the drive on it side. I did put some taller ram in (from iMac it worked), but when this happened I removed it and still does this. It hasn't crashed for about a week and then I restarted after a crash today. I've only had the computer for about 4 weeks. It runs fine w/no problems when its booted up. Using it now to respond. I had to hold the power/drive bay door open w/booting up. When powered up and running I let go and it rests in its correct spot. None of the wires are touching the case or board that I can tell. Also the case isn't giving a shock or anything.

applemacdude
Aug 19, 2003, 06:54 PM
First of all open the case and press the CUDA switch for fifteen seconds, then boot it and ans immediatly press apple-option-o-f and then the open firmware screen come up. type in "reset-all" (without quatations)