PDA

View Full Version : Five Stages of Switching

Horrortaxi
Aug 19, 2003, 01:46 PM
I think I'm onto something good. Have you heard of the 5 stages of grief? If you learn you have a fatal disease or a loved one has a fatal disease (also applies to relationships) you go through 5 stages: denial, resentment, bargaining, depression, acceptance. With that in mind, here are the Five Stages of Switching:

The first stage is denial

Upon hearing others badmouth Windows, the user reacts with a shocked, "No, it’s okay. It’s got problems but computers have to crash sometimes." This is not a healthy stage, but permits some users to not blindly accept Microsoft’s BS and develop other defenses.

Next comes anger or resentment

"What makes Mac users think their computer is better than mine? Jerks!" is the question asked now. Abuse, directed against the Mac community (usually on internet message boards and in Comp USA) often is a part of this stage. This outcry should be accepted, unjudged. You cannot reason with somebody in this stage. Facts are lost on them.

The third stage is bargaining

"Windows has problems, but…" "If I buy the latest version and install all the patches . . ." This is a period of temporary truce.

The fourth stage is depression

Now the person says, "Yes, Windows sucks and is ruining my life," with the courage to admit that it is happening; this acknowledgment brings depression. (Note: The family rarely goes through the stages along with the user. Rather, they enable the denial and resentment stages)

Finally comes acceptance

The user buys a Mac and demolishes his old PC with a baseball bat, just like the fax machine in Office Space. This is often a difficult time for the family, since the patient tends to withdraw to use his Mac. It is also difficult for the family because they are probably in denial themselves.

nagromme
Aug 26, 2003, 05:11 PM
An interesting comparison.

Horrortaxi
Aug 26, 2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by nagromme
An interesting comparison.

Thanks. I scared myself a little because, to me anyway, it seemed dead on. Can any other switchers out there relate?

howard
Aug 26, 2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
Thanks. I scared myself a little because, to me anyway, it seemed dead on. Can any other switchers out there relate?

oh yeah i definitely can relate

however theres one key stage at the very beginning. ignorance. pc users blab about how much better they are when they havn't even used a mac. i definitely did that a lot before i switched

Horrortaxi
Aug 26, 2003, 11:28 PM
That's probably a mix of Stage 1 and 2.

patrick0brien
Aug 27, 2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by howard
oh yeah i definitely can relate

however theres one key stage at the very beginning. ignorance. pc users blab about how much better they are when they havn't even used a mac. i definitely did that a lot before i switched

-howard

Actually, I believe that psychologists would classify that as smack-in-the-middle of denial. The denial that one's current choices may not be correct.

The denial stage can be further broken up.

Denial 1: Inured/Habituated- blind belief in one's own convictions doesn't even consider that there may be other perspectives.
Denial 2: Protectionism - acknowledges there are other perpectives, but actively shuns them; still believes that one own convictions are the correct course of action.
Denial 3: Reactionism - beleives that others questioning ones convictions are attacking.

themadchemist
Sep 3, 2003, 09:06 PM
You can see this behavior among Mac users, too.

You know, when they're down. During the first Dark Days, of Quadras and Performas and the like, when Apple lost some of its magic...

I personally felt it during the deep days of the G4, getting off the high that THIS processor was frikin' awesome and the best out there, and denying the fact that the G4 really was lagging far behind.

We as Mac users also have to come to the point of acceptance: We have to accept that there is some excellent PC hardware out there, some of which really bested our stuff for a good while there...

Then we can go back to the gloating stage, because we have the G5. Hopefully, there will never be a need to go to denial again, although comparisons to AMD, I'm afraid, may cause us denial sooner than we think.