Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
hi,

i am asking the help of dvd studio pro experts here.

i created a dvd menu from a .tiff picture which is 66 mb large. in the preview mode of dvd studio pro, it is pixilated.

i burned the dvd and the dvd still shows me a pixilated menu.

incidentally the provided templates from apple are also not "clear" and the text is pixilated.

i tried creating a dvd from iDvd and the picture quality is a lot better.

i really need your help. good karma to give away for the guys who could help.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
I had this problem. I'd suggest you add a slight blur to the image before sending it to DSP.

Reading: Creating Graphics to Use in Menus, Page 82 in the manual.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Is there any video involved in the menu at all, or just the .tiff image?

This may be unrelated, but whenever I create video menus in Final Cut Pro that have still image overlays, the menu always looks blurry in DVDSP (and the burned DVD) If I export the video from FCP as a Quicktime DV file and import that into DVDSP to encode. However, if you export directly from Final Cut to Compressor for MPEG-2 compression, everything looks just fine on the DVD.

Also... 66mb is way too large for an image used on a DVD menu. The pixillation could have something to do with DVDSP not doing a good job of downscaling the image, but I'm not sure. If you have Photoshop CS or later, open up an NTSC DV template, resize your image to fit the frame, and then import that file into DVDSP.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
for one thing, you're 66mb tiff is probably square pixels when your menu doesn't (if you're doing SD). don't expect DVDSP to resize photos very well... that isn't what it's meant to do.

Photoshop has presets for video (these are the correct format for menus as well). place your image in one of these and save a new image. it'll look much nicer.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Is your TIFF image sized for NTSC (or PAL or whatever) dimensions? You should do that yourself, not have DVDSP do it for you because it's not the same quality.

Also, once you've done that, try applying a "deinterlace" filter (under the "Video" category) to the image. It may improve things.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Is there any video involved in the menu at all, or just the .tiff image?

This may be unrelated, but whenever I create video menus in Final Cut Pro that have still image overlays, the menu always looks blurry in DVDSP (and the burned DVD) If I export the video from FCP as a Quicktime DV file and import that into DVDSP to encode. However, if you export directly from Final Cut to Compressor for MPEG-2 compression, everything looks just fine on the DVD.

Also... 66mb is way too large for an image used on a DVD menu. The pixillation could have something to do with DVDSP not doing a good job of downscaling the image, but I'm not sure. If you have Photoshop CS or later, open up an NTSC DV template, resize your image to fit the frame, and then import that file into DVDSP.

it is just a .tiff image. would using .jpgs and/or .pngs differ in quality?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
I had this problem. I'd suggest you add a slight blur to the image before sending it to DSP.

Reading: Creating Graphics to Use in Menus, Page 82 in the manual.

i will check that out and get back to you :)

Is your TIFF image sized for NTSC (or PAL or whatever) dimensions? You should do that yourself, not have DVDSP do it for you because it's not the same quality.

Also, once you've done that, try applying a "deinterlace" filter (under the "Video" category) to the image. It may improve things.

so you are talking about photoshop here, right?

i'd just like to say thanks for the replys.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
DO NOT apply a deinterlace filter to your image... the image is (presumably) not from a video source. That filter will not do any good.

Like I said before, paste the image into one of the photoshop presets for DV (720x480 with .9pixel aspect) and save that new file as a tiff. That's all you need to do.

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
Welcome to the non-synced world between still ans video redApple.

Still are shot using square pixels.
Video uses rectangular pixels.

When you import a 66Mb still into DVDSP, DVDSP will convert the still (ultimately) into a video (m2v) stream.
Thus, if you want to be in control of the looks of your still, here are some rules of thumb:
1) when importing stills, prepare them form optimal display in PhotoShop first.
2) Never same your (to be imported) stills in any format using compression (like jpg). (de)compression upon (de)compression will degrade your picture.
3) when downscaling in Photoshop do "play" with various filters.
4) To make sure your picture has all the right proportions (a circle remains a circle, a square remains a square, a person does not appear thin or fat) to take the following table into account.

For NTSC users:
Your TV has 720 x 480 pixels. Your TV has a physical dimension of 4/3 or 16/9.
In order to convert a squarepixel still or artwork:
4/3 create/ scale your artwork to 720 x 534 maintaining aspect ratio. Then squeeze the result to 720 x 480. Every thing will seem "fatter". Save as TIFF.
16/9 create/ scale your artwork to 854 x 480 maintaining aspect ratio. Then squeeze the result to 720 x 480. Every thing will seem "thinner". Save as TIFF.

For PAL users:
Your TV has 768 x 576 pixels. Your TV has a physical dimension of 4/3 or 16/9. When using digital media (like DV) PAL DV has 720 x 576 pixels. The TV will strech the picture horizontally with a factor 1.066.
In order to convert a squarepixel still or artwork:
4/3 create/ scale your artwork to 768 x 576 maintaining aspect ratio. Then squeeze the result to 720 x 576. Every thing will seem "thinner". Save as TIFF.
16/9 create/ scale your artwork to 1024 x 576 maintaining aspect ratio. Then squeeze the result to 720 x 576. Every thing will seem "thinner". Save as TIFF.

When saving as Tiff, do not use compression.

Have fun

Coen

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
the image isn't from a video source... there is nothing to deinterlace.

The even rows of pixels, however, are not the same as the odd rows in the unaltered image. So when the fields alternate, flickering between the two will occur unless both fields are the same. Unless, of course, the TV supports progressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.