Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WILLDOGS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Do NOT get overwhelmed by all of the negative postings you see here about bad screens, hissing, etc...

keep in mind that people usually post on messageboards when they are having issues with something. I belong to about a dozen message boards and I joined most of them because I was having an issue with my car, microwave, DVD player, etc...

There may be a couple of thousand Ipod touch owners with ZERO issues and are completely happy, but you will never hear from them because they most likely will not sign up to a message board. Those who have issues rush to Google to try and find answers and stumble upon others who have issues and it seems worse than it really is.

Not sure if my point is getting across, but I hope you all know what I am trying to say. Don't mis-interpret the few dozen people who are posting on here that have issues as a snapshot of the majority of touch owners.

Sorry, i'm on my 3rd cup of coffee and no sleep. :( so if I am not making sense I apologize

caMi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Do NOT get overwhelmed by all of the negative postings you see here about bad screens, hissing, etc...

keep in mind that people usually post on messageboards when they are having issues with something. I belong to about a dozen message boards and I joined most of them because I was having an issue with my car, microwave, DVD player, etc...

There may be a couple of thousand Ipod touch owners with ZERO issues and are completely happy, but you will never hear from them because they most likely will not sign up to a message board. Those who have issues rush to Google to try and find answers and stumble upon others who have issues and it seems worse than it really is.

Not sure if my point is getting across, but I hope you all know what I am trying to say. Don't mis-interpret the few dozen people who are posting on here that have issues as a snapshot of the majority of touch owners.

Sorry, i'm on my 3rd cup of coffee and no sleep. :( so if I am not making sense I apologize

I don't know. 2 out of 2 iPods on my house have the problem...

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I know exactly what you are saying. This message board only represents a small percentage of people who own iPod Touches, just cuz everyone here has some problems, doesn't meant that the rest of the percentage out there is having the same problems. I am in an Auto Forum meant specifically for one car. There are a lot of people on there but new people seem to dissapear quite often... why? Well when they have a problem they sign up, tell someone about the problem, get it fixed, and we never see them again. I know this becuase that is what I originally signed up for, but a year later and I'm still loggin in and posting.

But yea, this forum only represents a small percentage of actual iPod Touch owners, this shouldn't be the basis for a decision upon getting the iPod Touch, regardless of what I have heard on the board, I am still keeping my pre-order.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I agree with you somewhat, the internet and the blogosphere do tend to excacerbate problems especially with Apple products which people expect perfection from.

However, where there is smoke there is fire. I too join messageboards about items I am thinking of purchasing, and when I read of potential problems I stay away until these problems are fixed or I choose a different product. I'll be doing the same with the touch until I am assured that the screen problem is fixed.

edit- Forgot to mention that I learnt my lesson with my macbook, bought it the day it was released and had nothing but problems (the moo, heat, etc). Luckily I was able to get it replaced eventually, but I am not taking that risk with 1st gen Apple products again.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
no, op, this negative screen will get ignored, not because it doesn't exist, rather, it will be ignored largely because it's not a big deal for most users.

only users who
1. watch dark video
2. watch video frequently enough
3. gets bothered by having to tilting the device when watching dark video

i.e. most users probably just live with it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
no, op, this negative screen will get ignored, not because it doesn't exist, rather, it will be ignored largely because it's not a big deal for most users.

only users who
1. watch dark video
2. watch video frequently enough
3. gets bothered by having to tilting the device when watching dark video

i.e. most users probably just live with it.

That is assuming that 100% of the iPod touches have this issue. I highly doubt that this is the case. Mine hasn't exhibited any noticeable problems at this point in time.

boxandrew

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Oklahoma, OK
I happy with my iPod touch :D It's awesome, and I can't say I've even looked for the black screen problem. I just wish I could find a way to connect to my university wifi, but that's no big deal.

mithykal

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I don't know. 2 out of 2 iPods on my house have the problem...

Yes but I am persuming you bought these ipods at the same time and place, therefore they are likely to be from the same batch.

The OP is very true, you will post on a forum if you have a problem with your ipod, you arent likely to do a post saying 'everything is ok, no problems'.
So sounds like 90% are problems when you are only hearing from 9% of the people with iPod touches...:rolleyes:

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
I'm certainly still getting mine, aside from the fact that *hopefully* all the bad ones will have been bought early by retail store folks in America, I'll reserve judgement until I have it in my hand.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It seems like, over the years, a lot of people complain about [fill in the blank] as if it's the worst electronic device on the planet. A lot of people complain about software as being unusable and then, they discover the preferences. :p

Sure, Apple, like any other maker has issues with products but only the loudest complain and they likely complain everywhere.

I bought my PowerBook G4 when people were complaining loads about all the problems, so I bought a refurbished machine and avoided all of those issues. If I go about buying an iPod touch, I'll probably do the same.

AppleFan08

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
It doesnt matter that a small percentage of people are experiencing this problem with their screens. The fact of the matter is that many people have perfect screens, and many have *****ty screens. I paid $430 for this ipod and I want the screen to be in working order god damnit.

K Wal

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
I've looked for the screen problem and found it but don't care it's very minor. For a portable device it looks good in my opinion. I remember when cheap LCD displays (be it projectors or monitors) came out and the biggest complaint was the blacks. Remember it is an LCD screen so it is a common complaint. Before anybody says the iPhone looks better, it could be that it' a fluke that it looks that good.
just my humble opinion

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
I am one of the lucky ones

Just an FYI, not all of the iPod Touchs are defective. I got my Friday morning at the Southdale Apple Store, in Minneapolis. So far, no bad screen and no hissing. Not trying to gloat, but not all of the iPod's are defective. Good luck to everyone, and I feel bad for the ones who did get a bad apple, so to speak.

Kristijan

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Well either way, I've canceled my iPod Touch order just to be safe. It's a considerable amount of money for most people, and I'm not going to commit to parting with it unless the product I'm purchasing meets my needs.

I'll buy it as soon as Apple acknowledge that it's a problem, and do something about it.

-Kristijan

ps49556n

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Well either way, I've canceled my iPod Touch order just to be safe. It's a considerable amount of money for most people, and I'm not going to commit to parting with it unless the product I'm purchasing meets my needs.

I'll buy it as soon as Apple acknowledge that it's a problem, and do something about it.

-Kristijan

HAHAHA thanks for giving me a laugh.....if you knew anything about apple and the current situation you would know that apple will exchange defective units no problem....

Kristijan

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not all that familiar with Apple products, only ever owned the one iPod.
From what I'm reading on this forum though, it seems to be a hit and miss with getting a "good" one.

Laugh as much as you wish, but I'm not going to send my Touch back and forth until I come across a good one.

-Kristijan

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
HAHAHA thanks for giving me a laugh.....if you knew anything about apple and the current situation you would know that apple will exchange defective units no problem....

I'm quite familiar with Apple over the past 30 years and recently, it seems that they sometimes exchange defective units with defective units.

It's good that you have undying faith but they're just one more company that makes mistakes. I don't believe anyone wants to be the one to receive their mistakes. The faithful seem to scream the loudest when they don't get what they want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.