Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
oith
Okay so I bought an ipod touch and all is well except for that fact that I cannot for the life of me get it to work on wifi. I have a cable modem plugged into my powermac via ethernet. I have airport on the powermac so I turned on internet sharing via airport. This works fine for my other macs to connect to.

The ipod touch recognizes the connection and shows full bars, yet will only load one page on safari if I'm lucky. After that it just gives me a blank page with an unable to connect with server error. itunes store does not work nor does youtube. I have tried turning wep security off on my mac, i have tried manually typing in the dns numbers on the ipod touch(which worked great until the next time i used it - and i now cant replicate it). nothing works. any ideas?

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Okay so I bought an ipod touch and all is well except for that fact that I cannot for the life of me get it to work on wifi. I have a cable modem plugged into my powermac via ethernet. I have airport on the powermac so I turned on internet sharing via airport. This works fine for my other macs to connect to.

The ipod touch recognizes the connection and shows full bars, yet will only load one page on safari if I'm lucky. After that it just gives me a blank page with an unable to connect with server error. itunes store does not work nor does youtube. I have tried turning wep security off on my mac, i have tried manually typing in the dns numbers on the ipod touch(which worked great until the next time i used it - and i now cant replicate it). nothing works. any ideas?

I'd look into any firewall/port issues first.

I really can't say though... connection sharing has always been something real touchy and annoying to me.

grandeabc

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Finally I found a way to fix this trouble.
Note: before, be sure to go to the System Preferences/Sharing and to have already selected "WEB SHARING" and "INTERNET SHARING" with status ON.

Now, proceed:
Go to System Preferences/Network
Click on Airpot (left menu)
Turn Airport ON (it must be ON)
On the "Network Name" selection, select exactly the name of the connection you're already sharing -wait 5 seconds for your connection's name appear.

Sure, it works great!
Note : This works fine, and I'm connecting now at the same time 1 windows PC, 2 iPods Touch, and a MYLO from Sony.
Sorry by my bad english, Good luck!

coolisstillgood

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Sharing your Internet connection from your MacBook with your iPod Touch

I've seen a lot of posts and notes about this topic over the internet and non of them could solved my problem completely,they were partially helpful but not entirely helpful. there were tons of complains about this matter and a lot of users seemed unhappy because simply they couldn't share their Internet Connection over airport or wifi with their iPod Touch. After a long and tiring night I finally figured out how to get it right and I decided to share this experience with all the Mac users gladly.
Ok, what I have is a MacBook with OS 10.5.2 installed and my Internet connection is through cable modem and it's a Ethernet Connection and I shared my Internet through Airport with my iPod Touch.
I assumed your Internet Connection is fully established and you can surf the web with your MacBook.
you go to System Preferences and under the Internet & Network, you go to Sharing,Turn On Web Sharing and Internet Sharing,in the Internet Sharing you have to choose to Share your Connection From +Ethernet+(in case you get your Internet Connection from Ethernet of course) To computer using Airport .
And then on your iPod touch you go to Setting and the Wi-Fi,you should see your computer name there,choose the network and then press the ">" sign in the blue circle,you should see your IP Address which probably is 10.0.2.2 . What is important here is your DNS which probably should be something like this format 10.0.2.1
you go back to your Mac and System Preferences>Network>Airport you should see your Computer's Name in the Network Name field, you go to Advanced>TCP/IP and write down your IPv4 Address, go one step back which is System Preferences>Network and this time you go to Ethernet>Advanced>DNS on the right side,there is the list of your DNS Servers,you add your DNS number form your iPod Touch and your IPv4 from your Airport configuration and that's it.
you should be able to browse internet from your iTouch by now.
And for all the IP stuff,you let DHCP handle it Automatically. I did it and it works fine for me and the speed is pretty good too and there is no need for a wireless router. You can share your Ethernet Internet Connection Easily from Airport to your iTouch.
I hope this post will be useful for ones struggling with this problem.
keep it cool

thistle1020

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
For my iPod touch, I can see the IP Address 168.254.13.167 and the Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0 only. The Router and DNS is blank. why is that???
what should i do?? Please help me !

delobe

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
Hi GrannySmith_G5,

Make sure your computer is not blocking any outgoing network signals, say if you are part of a college network, or you have little snitch.

Otherwise make sure you have broadband on your computer (via built in ethernet?), create your own network under the airport menu bar, call it smith. go to system pref, sharing, services: check 'personal web sharing'. then to sytem pref, sharing, internet: share connection from...(choose built in ethernet or however your laptop is connected to the internet) then check: To computers using 'airport' (i.e. your ipod touch), then go to airport options at the side. fill in the details there exactly the same as on your created network before. ok. then start 'internet sharing' on that page. This must work.

Mr.Toaster

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
Router and DNS blank

For my iPod touch, I can see the IP Address 168.254.13.167 and the Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0 only. The Router and DNS is blank. why is that???
what should i do?? Please help me !

Hi Thistle1020. I struggled with this exact problem for an hour before I finally figured out it was the OS X firewall that was blocking it. Simply go into the System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall and select Allow all incoming connections. Then you will get the 10.0.2.1 in your DNS on your iPod and you can follow the rest of the instructions.

I'm thinking your Mac is less secure now that the firewall is off... anyone know how to keep the firewall on but still allow the iPod Touch to connect to the Mac? Thanks!

thistle1020

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
Hi Thistle1020. I struggled with this exact problem for an hour before I finally figured out it was the OS X firewall that was blocking it. Simply go into the System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall and select Allow all incoming connections. Then you will get the 10.0.2.1 in your DNS on your iPod and you can follow the rest of the instructions.

I'm thinking your Mac is less secure now that the firewall is off... anyone know how to keep the firewall on but still allow the iPod Touch to connect to the Mac? Thanks!

it works great! Thanks

Gballa

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
thanks so much

thank u all so much... my ipod didnt even have a DNS so i just gave it the one u guys said to... and i'm using my neighbors internet from 150 ft away on my ipod touch...its slow but sure. Thanks again.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
I have this same problem on my wireless network at college. None of the apps that should work between my iPod Touch and MBP on Wifi ever connect unless I make a computer to computer network. If there a way to stop my MBP from blocking the outgoing connections?

Make sure your computer is not blocking any outgoing network signals, say if you are part of a college network, or you have little snitch.

tweeze27

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
did not read threw the thread but

on your ipod go to settings and it should show you avilable net works

linksy etc... click on available:apple: net work hopes this helps

ross.32

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
It is not a problem of connecting to the right network. The network that I am using is a college network, and some one in in this thread earlier said that college networks block outgoing connections from devices.

By blocking outgoing connections, I am not able to connect any of my iPod Touch apps to my computer and my AppleTV is not able to connect to my computer either. I need a way to stop my computer from blocking these outgoing connections. My alternative is to buy an Airport Extreme and make my own network, but I want to avoid that because we are not really supposed to have routers on campus.

marksal

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
After 8 months of going around in circles and frequently giving up,being told it was the server, the server said it was an apple problem, but my mac book worked straight away so all very confusing. I solved my problem today! I changed from WEP security to WPA2 and voila ! After resetting and restarting and a bit of a wait, as if by magic, FINALLY!! So diasappointed no-one could help me earlier, someone in the apple shop suggested I try it, but no luck from apple support or my provider or the modem help desk. It still seems wierd that the macbook worked when the ipod touch didn't, but hope this may help someone else.

Alex18

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
It is not a problem of connecting to the right network. The network that I am using is a college network, and some one in in this thread earlier said that college networks block outgoing connections from devices.

By blocking outgoing connections, I am not able to connect any of my iPod Touch apps to my computer and my AppleTV is not able to connect to my computer either. I need a way to stop my computer from blocking these outgoing connections. My alternative is to buy an Airport Extreme and make my own network, but I want to avoid that because we are not really supposed to have routers on campus.

I'm having a similar problem. I took my ipod touch to college one day to connect it to the college network (which barely worked) now when i want to connect to my home router, i doesn't and comes up with a dulled screen saying "connecting" BUT never actually connects. Youtube, the app store, and itunes doesn't work either. When i try to connect to Itunes it says "Cannot connect to ITunes store. Invalid argument" does anyboy know what this means and can anybody help.

If no i'll just take it the apple store and see if they can help.

Thanks in advance.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'm having a similar problem. I took my ipod touch to college one day to connect it to the college network (which barely worked) now when i want to connect to my home router, i doesn't and comes up with a dulled screen saying "connecting" BUT never actually connects. Youtube, the app store, and itunes doesn't work either. When i try to connect to Itunes it says "Cannot connect to ITunes store. Invalid argument" does anyboy know what this means and can anybody help.

If no i'll just take it the apple store and see if they can help.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried doing a reset on the network connections?

Settings->General->Reset (scroll down)->Reset Network settings

I was having to do that daily to get mine connected to wifi for awhile.... but it might help!

gal

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
ipod touch and n routers

I got a 2nd generation ipod touch from my stepson who got it free this summer with his new computer.

I bought a DLink DIR 615 n router for my one-computer small office at the salespersons's suggestion so I could use the ipod touch in my office.

My home g router worked great with the ipod touch. The DLink router in my office did not--even after multiple calls to support at DLink, ATT DSL and to Apple.

I found out on my own that the ipod touch doesn't work on an n router only a g or earlier.

I returned the router and got a Linksys g router and in 10 minutes it was up and running. The salespeople said the n router I bought should have been "backwards compatible" with the g router; indeed it did say this on the box but it obviously wasn't.

I called Apple to complain the two different help people I talked to never asked me about my router type when they tried to help me. On my third call--the complaint call--after I solved the problem myself , they said "oh yeah" the n routers don't work with any ipod touch even the third generation right now." I told them they need to change that and to at least ask customers about the n or g router issue. They said that was a good idea. I filed a complaint with them.

Hope this post helps others not waste a week of their time.:)

cottonjenn

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
I had a problem with not being able to connect my iPod to my router because of the IP address starting with 169?. I called Linksys as suggested by Apple support and it turned out the password I had written down from setting up the 2 laptops in my home originally with the router was incorrect. They took me out to the internet and had me put in an address in the URL, they took me to 2 screens and a long number appeared and Linksys told me that was my password. I never saw that number before. Obviously I guess I wrote the wrong number down. I mean, I had the IP address written down and some other numbers from original setup. But long story short, I can now connect at home. I was really surprised at the password.

Alex18

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
Have you tried doing a reset on the network connections?

Settings->General->Reset (scroll down)->Reset Network settings

I was having to do that daily to get mine connected to wifi for awhile.... but it might help!

Worked...... Thanks! :)

jaren0401

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
MINE is still not working

I've tried everything you guys said but it just doesn't work...
I've changed everything but on my ipod touch it just still self-assigned ip:confused:. I tried to manually enter a ip address but forgot the ip address that i used to enter my school's network. I'm connecting to a ACTIVE modem. Anyone help plz? :(

contagiouslovee

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Two Itouches in same room, 1 has a connection, the other doesnt.

My boyfriend and I both have an Itouch. My Itouch has no problem connecting to my wireless router, but his says "unable to connect". He only gets a connection when he is right in front of the router. We matched eachothers setting on our itouches, and directly from the router. He tried reseting his connections completely, he tried restoring it and everything. My itouch has a perfect connection, but his itouch wont allow him to connect. Can anybody help us ? Is it possible that he has a virus or something?

jackass123

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
ipod internet problems

i bought the ipod generation 4 and when i try to use my internet it has a lock sign on it after entering in security pass word for router box could someone help me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.