PDA

View Full Version : G5 Comes with 2 buttoned mouse!

Niknar
Aug 19, 2003, 05:00 PM
Just the same but with a second button down the side. Not exactly an innovating design.

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/data/533/105332button-G5-mouse.jpg
Spotted it in the spymac (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/) gallery.

TMA
Aug 19, 2003, 05:05 PM
Would be great to see/read some verification on this. I'm quite suprised nobody seems to have a G5 yet? I'd have thought many folks around here would be the first to get one.

I can't really make out what is going on in that picture. But imho it is good news if it is indeed true.

Niknar
Aug 19, 2003, 05:13 PM
Yea not sure if it is true but it is interesting.

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 05:34 PM
It seems too much like a "tacked" on feature to be an official Apple product...wouldn't they do something a bit more...drastic/evolutionary or at least a slight case redesign for this sort of thing?

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 19, 2003, 05:39 PM
That looks interesting, but I don't think it's a second button. It looks like a simple case redesign for ergonomic reasons - perhaps a place for your thumb to rest.

It would be nice if Apple would start offering a two button scroll mouse as an option on computers or an additional product.

simX
Aug 19, 2003, 05:40 PM
Um, I don't think that's a second button on the side. If I recall correctly (since I don't have Pro Mouse here at work), there have always been those "mold lines" down the sides of the mouse. It's just a side design effect from having the whole mouse be a button that rocks back and forth.

Dale Sorel
Aug 19, 2003, 05:45 PM
The clear Apple mouse has always had "ears" on the side that allow you to keep it clicked when you lift it up.

TMA
Aug 19, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
That looks interesting, but I don't think it's a second button. It looks like a simple case redesign for ergonomic reasons - perhaps a place for your thumb to rest.

I don't think it could be that. Apple mice have always catered for left and right handed people i.e are symmetrical. That's taking into account 5 different revisions (I think that's all of them) Thinking about it, if your brand new G5 came with a 2 buttened mouse wouldn't you take a slightly better, more detailed photo?

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 05:52 PM
If I had a G5 system, I'd say screw the mouse, I'd be taking high res pictures of the G5...take it's side panel off and take some "topless" pics of it and drool...mmm...dual G5s...free those twins!

Vector
Aug 19, 2003, 06:41 PM
It is somewhat different than my pro mouse. The area where the thumb hold is on the left side is far longer than it is on my mouse and could possibly be a button. The thumb hold on the right side is visisble and far smaller like the ones on previous mice.

Source
Aug 19, 2003, 07:51 PM
I hope it's not a thumb rest or Apple has just alienated 10% of its market (left-handed customers).

Luckily I'm not left-handed. :)

Kid Red
Aug 19, 2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Source
I hope it's not a thumb rest or Apple has just alienated 10% of its market (left-handed customers).

Couldn't they just flip it over?

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 08:08 PM
Well, I'm left handed, but a lifetime of having to deal with contoured mice/joysticks made for right handed only customers, I've become accustomed to using my right hand so even if I had a left handed mouse, it'd feel weird. Not to mention, the mouse pointer would be pointed the wrong way...

zim
Aug 19, 2003, 08:15 PM
The person who posted the pict on spymac came back on and said it was not true.

I would think that if apple would do a two button mouse, Steve would want to present it because it would change the design look and feel a great deal, I love my one button.

rainman::|:|
Aug 20, 2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
Couldn't they just flip it over?

not to restart a dead thread... but... what?? flip the mouse over?

mkay...

and no, apple would never stick it to the lefties. too many high-ups at Apple *are* lefties.

pnw

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 05:33 PM
Awesome! It's always good to find out that there are lefties in a position of power...mwahaha! I remember growing up my 2nd grade teacher would hit me with a ruler and call me a sinner for writing with my left hand...I wish the world wasn't so right-hand centric, but what can you do?

PS--Where are the Leftoriums!

KCK
Aug 20, 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Awesome! It's always good to find out that there are lefties in a position of power...mwahaha! I remember growing up my 2nd grade teacher would hit me with a ruler and call me a sinner for writing with my left hand...I wish the world wasn't so right-hand centric, but what can you do?

PS--Where are the Leftoriums!

I wouldn't say that I'm in a position of power but I am another Lefty Mac user. Is there a support group for people like me???

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 05:48 PM
We should start one!

mnkeybsness
Aug 20, 2003, 05:57 PM
i think macpolls should make a poll...who is

right-handed
left-handed, uses mouse in right hand
left-handed, uses left-handed mouse

GraphicUmp
Aug 20, 2003, 08:22 PM
Left-Handed, and

I use my Kensington Orbit USB with my Left Hand :D

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 08:36 PM
Well I am left handed and use the trackpad on my PowerBook with my right index finger when I use it (hardly ever do since I am a big fan of keyboard combinations for everything)

KCK
Aug 20, 2003, 08:53 PM
Well I am left handed and use the trackpad on my PowerBook with my right index finger when I use it (hardly ever do since I am a big fan of keyboard combinations for everything)

I've always used my mouse with my left hand. I recently got a trackball and I use that with my left hand. The few times I have tried to use a mouse with my right hand it was very slow going. I generally use my left hand on the trackpad of my powerbook.

zim
Aug 20, 2003, 08:54 PM
not an issue with me, i think that is why i use the keyboard so much, have to keep them both occupied and in sight.

favorably i am left handed, but through school, i ended up having to use my right hand due to the schools set up. after a while i had to ware a brace due to pains in my forearm and wrist, at the time i was doing a lot of animation/design work... it always angered me that i was put in situations where i was not capable of using my favorable hand and now i find it just plain inconsiderate when i go out and have no option, i.e. pee cee mice. i can mouse around for hours with no symptoms ever with my left hand, but after a few hours with my right, the pains come back so the only happy medium, because i will just grab the mouse with which ever hand in closets, even at home due to my own neglect, i now use the keyboard as much as possible.

that is my sob story, feel free to play your mini violins for me =)

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 09:07 PM
Do you here that...that's right...I'm even playing Vivaldi for you :)

beefstu01
Aug 20, 2003, 10:03 PM
Do you here that...that's right...I'm even playing Vivaldi for you :)

Which season?:D

rainman::|:|
Aug 20, 2003, 10:48 PM
i'm not a southpaw but i'm a friend to those who are, my great grandmother told me about how they used to tie her left hand behind her back all day at school, until she learned to write right-handed. that's kind of sick, really... she went on to become a teacher and didn't enforce that particular rule ;)

pnw

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 10:55 PM
My second grade teacher kept insisting I was this wicked child and all since I was left handed and an agent of Satan...she kept finding ways to punish me for things I didn't do and called home to tell my dad about how I am so bad in class...my dad came to class one day so she could explain to him how my sinful left handed ways were a product of Satan and my dad simply told her what he had to say on the subject (my dad is a minister...) and that quickly shut her up, in fact, after that, she was afraid to even look at me since it was sinful to even touch the son of a minister, apparently...

And as for which season, I'd have to go for winter :)

zim
Aug 20, 2003, 11:21 PM
My second grade teacher kept insisting I was this wicked child and all since I was left handed and an agent of Satan...she kept finding ways to punish me for things I didn't do and called home to tell my dad about how I am so bad in class...my dad came to class one day so she could explain to him how my sinful left handed ways were a product of Satan and my dad simply told her what he had to say on the subject (my dad is a minister...) and that quickly shut her up, in fact, after that, she was afraid to even look at me since it was sinful to even touch the son of a minister, apparently...

I was kept back from going on to 1st grade because I, could not decided on what hand I was going to use this was one of a few reasons, I was shocked going to actually see it in writing, I had gone through my parents collection of records from when I was a kid... I ended up going with left, not sure how I came to that decision, I was what 5? Anyway, handwriting class was my lest favorite class. I remember the teacher constantly making an example of me, calling it the wrong way to write. Although they let me write left handed, they tried to make me write as a right handed person... if that makes sense. I would often be forced to sit ahead of the class so that they could monitor my progress, I was also the blunt of the teachers many jokes about how I held my pen, outward vs inward towards myself.

I would love to hear other south paw stories of youth, man we were unfairly judged/treated. I have witnessed parents "correct" their children by pulling their writing/eating devise from their hand and putting in the "correct" hand, right hand.

.. oh and thanks for the music :) could actually go for some Vivaldi right now... wish iTMS had some.:)

BenWakin
Aug 20, 2003, 11:35 PM
Well, me and my brother and mom are left handed. My other 2 brothers and my dad are right handed. There has never been any lefty-cruelty in my lifetime, as of yet anyways. That sucks to read all the lefty persecution stories. haha.

GeeYouEye
Aug 21, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by zim
.. oh and thanks for the music :) could actually go for some Vivaldi right now... wish iTMS had some.:)

Umm.. it does... 11 albums worth.

Powerbook G5
Aug 21, 2003, 12:39 AM
I've got three Vivaldi CDs, so I'm set...I must say, I absolutely love my 4 Seasons as performed by Orpheus on 4D digital.

zim
Aug 21, 2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Umm.. it does... 11 albums worth.

Okay, I must have been blind but last time I was there I saw none in the Classical section.. just did a search, wow, looks like i will be making a few purchases then.

Thanks for pointing them out too... :)

Powerbook G5
Aug 21, 2003, 01:08 AM
Learn something new every day :) I can't wait to take iTMS out for a spin when I upgrade to OS X.

RobVanDam
Aug 21, 2003, 01:30 AM
Being lefthanded, I've just learned how to do everything right handed too.

It's harder for some things, but it's great for almost everything because I'm almost ambadexerous (or however you spell that) in everything.

groovebuster
Aug 21, 2003, 03:13 AM

Good choice! :) Winter is also my favourite! :)

groovebuster

P.S.: Your teacher was sick!!! Unbelievable, considering we were born in 20th century! ... or are you that old that you were born 19th century? ;)

Matt01792
Aug 21, 2003, 05:50 AM
Sorry to go back to that "two-buttoned" mouse but I have two things to point out about it.

A) Why do Apple need to make a two-buttoned mouse? What's wrong with one button?

B) That pic just looks like someone has dropped their mouse on the floor and it now has a crack down the side of it creating the illusion, if photographed right, of a second button. Look at the pic again if you don't believe me.

Matt

P.S. For some reason it seems to of created a new thread with this message instead of putting it in the correct one?! Could a moderator move it or something please as it won't let me delete it myself?!

edesignuk
Aug 21, 2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Matt01792
P.S. For some reason it seems to of created a new thread with this message instead of putting it in the correct one?! Could a moderator move it or something please as it won't let me delete it myself?!
That would be because you hit new thead and not reply :rolleyes: ;) I'll report the thread...

eyelikeart
Aug 21, 2003, 06:17 AM
ok...it's early...mind directing me where to the proper thread this should be? :)

eyelikeart
Aug 21, 2003, 06:19 AM
nevermind... ;)

themadchemist
Aug 21, 2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Source

well, I think that it's exactly the same as the Pro Mouse and I know that the Pro Mouse has the ears on BOTH sides.

What difference does anyone see in the picture?

I think that this was just a little joke, but that the original poster never came back to have his laugh and reveal the gag. Thus, everyone here is just blowing this out of proportion.