Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I switched to A Small Orange about a month ago, after hearing great things about them from pretty much everyone I talked to.

Unfortunately, over the past few days, I've been experiencing short (10-15 minute) periods of downtime on and off for a few hours each day. This is *extremely* frustrating, because by the time tech support gets my question, the server is back up.

First question is, has anyone else seen similar problems with ASO, and if so, do you have any recommended solution?

Secondly, what other web hosts would you recommend? I'm looking for the most reliable server possible; downtime is really not an option.

Thanks for any insight!

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Submit a tech support request that includes a tracert report. This will help determine if the problem is on their end, your end, or somewhere in between.

If you don't get satisfactory results from that, tell them you haven't been getting the performance you thought you'd be getting, and ask if they will move you to another server.

I don't believe it's a company-wide ASO problem. Here is a report on one of my ASO sites, from an independent monitoring service (attached).

You have a Private Message too.

Attachments

• aso.gif
    aso.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 97

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I haven't had any problems with ASO uptime. Just checked my logs for the last couple of days and don't see any gaps in service. Just submit a support ticket and have them check it out.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
they have been down for me for about 1/2 hour (11:45AM EST). i was told there is a heavy server load and it will be back shortly.

needless to say im pissed. i am learning that there is no such thing as reliable shared webhosting. its only which ones suck less.

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
It's very rare that I have any downtime with ASO. What price range and type of hosting are you looking for?

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
It's very rare that I have any downtime with ASO. What price range and type of hosting are you looking for?

Well, if it wasn't for these short but frequent outages, ASO's $20/month plan would be working perfectly for me. In other words, that's about the feature set and price I'm looking at; reliability is key.

shecky

May 24, 2003
i am hearing that media temple has their act together again; i'm debating trying it out even tho i had horrible experience when the grid server first started. the same $20 gets you a lot more from them than from ASO and if its fast and reliable i may give it another try.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
If uptime is critical, get out of shared hosting plans. It's like living in an apartment. If a neighbor's apartment catches on fire, you will all potentially suffer.

shecky

May 24, 2003
If uptime is critical, get out of shared hosting plans. It's like living in an apartment. If a neighbor's apartment catches on fire, you will all potentially suffer.

ive never even looked at a dedicated server (or virtual server or whatever its called) as i always figured the price would be insane; looks like ASO and media temple start at about $50/month. id be willing to think about it at no more than $30/month.

which leads me to a bunch of questions, such as what's the advantage, digg effects on another site on my shared server that kill me no longer do so on a dedicated server? is a lower-end dedicated server better than a higher-end shared one (RAM and hardware wise i mean) etc...?

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
Media Temple was merely alright for me. I never regretted my switch to ASO.

Shecky,

The advantage of a fully-managed private server is you have all of the resources (CPU cycles, RAM, disk space, etc) available to you. On a properly managed shared server, you shouldn't notice much of a difference. The advantage of a VPS is you're able to control everything that happens within your little environment.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
You can check if it's due to a server outage/reboot by checking a url on your asmallorange server.

For example, my A Small Orange account is based on their server named 'Ivan'. I can check its uptime by visiting:

http://ivan.asmallorange.com/uptime

Replace 'ivan' with the name of your server for the relevant info. Also, try posting in their forums (http://forums.asmallorange.com/) to see if other users based on the same server as you are getting similar problems. That should help narrow down whether it's a problem with ASO themselves or a network between you and them.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
You can check if it's due to a server outage/reboot by checking a url on your asmallorange server.

For example, my A Small Orange account is based on their server named 'Ivan'. I can check its uptime by visiting:

http://ivan.asmallorange.com/uptime

Replace 'ivan' with the name of your server for the relevant info. Also, try posting in their forums (http://forums.asmallorange.com/) to see if other users based on the same server as you are getting similar problems. That should help narrow down whether it's a problem with ASO themselves or a network between you and them.

Interesting... I'm on Ivan too... you haven't had any problems?

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Interesting... I'm on Ivan too... you haven't had any problems?

Not that I've noticed. I've been engrossed in an email conversation for most of the day using my ASO-hosted mailbox and not had any problems...

Still -- that could mean it was only http hosting that was down, not email. My site's only for the odd personal bits and bobs, so I quite possibly wouldn't notice if web hosting went down but mail stayed up.

Checking the forums, there's no-one mentioning problems with Ivan, and the global service status page at http://status.asmallorange.com/ shows Ivan as being fine. Very strange!

Next time you have problems, try accessing some of the other ASO servers listed on that global status page. That'll at least check to see if the problem is with Ivan himself or the ASO network in general (or your routing to it).

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Not that I've noticed. I've been engrossed in an email conversation for most of the day using my ASO-hosted mailbox and not had any problems...

Still -- that could mean it was only http hosting that was down, not email. My site's only for the odd personal bits and bobs, so I quite possibly wouldn't notice if web hosting went down but mail stayed up.

Checking the forums, there's no-one mentioning problems with Ivan, and the global service status page at http://status.asmallorange.com/ shows Ivan as being fine. Very strange!

Next time you have problems, try accessing some of the other ASO servers listed on that global status page. That'll at least check to see if the problem is with Ivan himself or the ASO network in general (or your routing to it).

Good ideas... next time the server goes down, I'll check the global service page...

shecky

May 24, 2003
i did the same with the widget and i saw a bunch of access times in the 3500ms+ range and one timeout in the last 24 hours. i asked ASO to move me to a new server and they are doing it no problem. im still not convinced (mt) may not be worth another shot but lets see if this changes anything.

the server i am on now that they are moving me from is Pickett

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
i did the same with the widget and i saw a bunch of access times in the 3500ms+ range and one timeout in the last 24 hours. i asked ASO to move me to a new server and they are doing it no problem. im still not convinced (mt) may not be worth another shot but lets see if this changes anything.

the server i am on now that they are moving me from is Pickett

I had a busy day today... completely forgot to install the widget... I'll install it on my laptop now and run it overnight, then put it on the G5 tomorrow and see how it goes.

Looks like I may not be the only one with this problem...

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
My site monitoring service came up with 2 outages (8 failed checks):

September, 18: 17:47 - 17:52 (2 failed checks)

September, 19: 08:23 - 08:49 (6 failed checks)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.