PDA

View Full Version : Is this Possible (hard drive question?)

MotionxxUSxx
Sep 16, 2007, 10:26 PM
If I connect my western digital hard drive to a new AirPort Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet, can I stream content directly from the hard drive?

If I do this does my macbook pro have to be on to use the content on the hard drive with the apple tv?

sandman42
Sep 17, 2007, 02:38 AM
If I connect my western digital hard drive to a new AirPort Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet, can I stream content directly from the hard drive?

If I do this does my macbook pro have to be on to use the content on the hard drive with the apple tv?

No, you can't get the :apple:TV to stream content directly from the Airport Disk. You can store some or all of your content there, but the :apple:TV won't pull it directly from there -- :apple:TV will only stream from the iTunes library of a computer on your network, and (to answer your second question) that computer has to be on and iTunes has to be active (running) on the computer at the time.

The :apple:TV will only stream content that's in an iTunes library. It won't stream any content that's saved on your computer (or anywhere else) that hasn't been added to your iTunes library.

You could store all of your content on the Airport Disk by making that the location of your entire iTunes library, but in that case it wouldn't be accessible to your laptop when it's not connected to the network. Your other option is to store some of your content on the external HD, and add that content to your iTunes library, after making the iTunes preferences selection not to consolidate your library (so it leaves files where they are, without copying them to your iTunes folder, wherever you've chosen to put that). This allows you more library storage space, but you still have to have your computer on (and iTunes running on it) to stream the content.

mcvaughan
Sep 17, 2007, 09:18 PM
Or you could get one of these: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/nextfest07/sans-digital-nas-with-itunes-support-300130.php

colorspace
Sep 17, 2007, 11:16 PM
Cool yes, but at that price I would probably just hold on to my old iMac g4 instead of selling it.

Or you could get one of these: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/nextfest07/sans-digital-nas-with-itunes-support-300130.php

mcvaughan
Sep 18, 2007, 03:13 PM
Cool yes, but at that price I would probably just hold on to my old iMac g4 instead of selling it.

If you already have one, sure, you could do that.

But for someone that may not already have a spare machine, this could be an acceptable solution.

kwood
Sep 19, 2007, 07:15 AM
If you already have one, sure, you could do that.

But for someone that may not already have a spare machine, this could be an acceptable solution.

That and the iMac G4 will not have the option to select the type, size, and manufacturer of the hard drives, unless you want to crack it open. But the "Sans Digital NAS with iTunes Support" seems like a better solution.