PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Features Lacking on the iPod Touch

MacRumors
Sep 16, 2007, 11:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Now that the iPod touch has gotten into reviewers hands, iProng has posted (http://www.iprong.com/article.php?id=3003) a full list of what's different between the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

There were few surprises based on previously published specs. The biggest differences that were known include the lack of EDGE connectivity, Mail application, and editable Calendar.

A couple that may be less obvious if you haven't played with the Touch yet is the lack of external volume buttons and no built-in speaker.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/17/iphone-features-lacking-on-the-ipod-touch/)

Sep 17, 2007, 12:07 AM
dont you mean alot of reviewers got there hands on iPod touches?

If so give me credit for finding that error :D, jk you dont have to

EricNau
Sep 17, 2007, 12:17 AM
That was a good review.

Although anyone who expected the iPod touch to have EDGE needs to have their head examined.

TurboSC
Sep 17, 2007, 12:31 AM
I dunno about anyone else... but to me the iPhone definitely outweighs the purchasing power of the iPod Touch... Especially now with all these claims of defective screens, and gimped features... You're really better of with an iPhone...

EricNau
Sep 17, 2007, 12:55 AM
I dunno about anyone else... but to me the iPhone definitely outweighs the purchasing power of the iPod Touch... Especially now with all these claims of defective screens, and gimped features... You're really better of with an iPhone...
Sure, but with the iPhone also comes $20/month and a two year contract (with the choice of only one carrier).

The iPod touch is meant for those who don't want an iPhone.

chr1s60
Sep 17, 2007, 01:44 AM
In my opinion there is no reason to buy an iPod touch other than for storage. The iPhone has so many extra features for the same price that it just doesn't make any sense to pick the Touch. I am wondering if this will show in iPod Touch sales.

koobcamuk
Sep 17, 2007, 04:09 AM
In my opinion there is no reason to buy an iPod touch other than for storage. The iPhone has so many extra features for the same price that it just doesn't make any sense to pick the Touch. I am wondering if this will show in iPod Touch sales.

It's not the same price. Don't forget the contract!!

pogwilson@ntlwo
Sep 17, 2007, 05:09 AM
No EDGE. Damn!

I hear the Apple Store in London's Reagent Street is staying open late after the 'Mum's no Longer the Word' event. I wonder why. Could it be they have a delivery of iPod Touch devices to sell?

KittyToy
Sep 17, 2007, 08:30 AM
It's not the same price. Don't forget the contract!!

why people keep bringing up the contract, your already paying a contract for the cell phone u have so what the hell is the differance. I'm paying exactly 10 dollars more than i was paying a month when i just had a razor. mind you i hated my razor, now i have a phone i love:D

blindzero
Sep 17, 2007, 09:33 AM
why people keep bringing up the contract, your already paying a contract for the cell phone u have so what the hell is the differance. I'm paying exactly 10 dollars more than i was paying a month when i just had a razor. mind you i hated my razor, now i have a phone i love:D

Yeah. I'm paying 20 bucks a month less than my previous SmartPhone because of the more expensive data plan.

If the data plan price stays the same after two years I'll have saved 480 bucks through the contract over my previous phone. Which at this point is more than the cost of the phone.

Stella
Sep 17, 2007, 09:49 AM
Why would the Touch have EDGE capability? Its not a cell phone.

I thought that missing feature would be implicit.

I'm still baffled to why Apple would let you enter contacts but not calendar entries.

shane1598
Sep 17, 2007, 12:10 PM

word. I pay only 10$ more a month too.

BKF
Sep 17, 2007, 03:03 PM
As for no speakers, I've already had to stand by as one doofus watched his music videos out loud on his iPhone on the subway. It was enough to make me want to return mine, and at that point I hadn't even activated yet. (I got over that, though.) I wonder if Steve just didn't want to hear about that kind of thing happening....

No volume buttons seems odd, though.

karim234
Sep 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
como on guys, the ipod touch es the thinest and best portable device out there.. its almost half the size than the iphone. BTW why not get the iphone rather that ipod touch; dont wanna switch to att which is the has the worst service and slowest edge network out there. love my tmobile. and I bet that next year it will have 3g and bigger memory and smaller.. so I will stick to my ipod touch and wait ffor the second generation Iphone.:)

klimegreen
Sep 17, 2007, 09:58 PM
Maybe its not obvious to everyone, but you can, in fact, buy an iPhone and never activate it (with At&t)... then you got a pretty cool Touch with email, editable calendar... of course, all net access is via wi-fi (90% of the time my iPhone is on wi-fi anyway). (you can also buy an iPhone and activate with edge as a pre-pay account, pretty much paying for what you use w/o contract).

Sammy / with iPhone (http://personafile.com/Apple-iPhone-8GB-P885909100178.htm)

CD3660
Sep 17, 2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe its not obvious to everyone, but you can, in fact, buy an iPhone and never activate it (with At&t)... then you got a pretty cool Touch with email, editable calendar... of course, all net access is via wi-fi (90% of the time my iPhone is on wi-fi anyway). (you can also buy an iPhone and activate with edge as a pre-pay account, pretty much paying for what you use w/o contract).

iPhone (http://personafile.com/Apple-iPhone-8GB-P885909100178.htm)
Seems a sensible option to me.

wordmunger
Sep 17, 2007, 10:39 PM

I'm paying $20 a quarter for my current phone, so the iphone would be about a $600 per year increase for me. The lack of features in the iPod touch means I won't be buying that either.

The "pre-paid" option on the iPhone is about a $50/month minimum, so that's a no-deal for me. I suppose I could go no-contract on the iPhone, but $400 is still quite a lot for a PDA.

pina-p9
Sep 21, 2007, 01:42 AM

Sammy / with iPhone (http://personafile.com/Apple-iPhone-8GB-P885909100178.htm)

This is EXACLY what I was planning to do. BUT there seems to be all this creepy stuff Apple is doing on unlocked/hacked iPhones.

I don't plan on using SIM cards, for the moment at least lol, so would I be in danger of getting that endless text/reboot thing?

emotion
Sep 21, 2007, 02:04 AM
The big difference at the moment is the lack of a jailbreak technique for the Touch.

They'll sort that out for the iPhone with the latest firmware I suspect.

scootermac
Sep 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
I called the new Apple store in Glasgow and asked " If I bought a iPhone and did NOT activate the phone with O2, would all the other features still work?"

She replied YES!

So I had my friend buy me one and it's on it's way:p

JD914
Sep 26, 2007, 04:38 PM
Sure, but with the iPhone also comes $20/month and a two year contract (with the choice of only one carrier).

The iPod touch is meant for those who don't want an iPhone.

Not true anymore due to various unlock programs out there.

yetanotherdave
Sep 26, 2007, 05:25 PM
I called the new Apple store in Glasgow and asked " If I bought a iPhone and did NOT activate the phone with O2, would all the other features still work?"

She replied YES!

So I had my friend buy me one and it's on it's way:p

That seems realy really unlikely, good luck with it though! Let us know if it works. If it does, I may return my touch and get an iPhone.

scootermac
Sep 27, 2007, 04:42 PM
That seems realy really unlikely, good luck with it though! Let us know if it works. If it does, I may return my touch and get an iPhone.

Will do;)

scootermac
Oct 10, 2007, 01:50 PM
After waiting two weeks for my iPhone:mad: postal strike here in the UK. It arrived today:p

Couple of hours later I unlocked it:p I didn't have to fully unlock it if I didn't want to use the phone, BUT, I want it all, hahahahaha:D I used the method at modmyiphone.com :apple: