PDA

View Full Version : How much powerful is the PB?

Antony52
Aug 19, 2003, 08:51 PM
How much powerful is the PB 15"?Can it run for example a game like Neverwinter Nights with ease?Is it possible to install the new 10.3 and later upgrades?I know and I have read about the MHz myth but still I wonder.Any comparison charts apart from those found at the official site of Apple?
Also something else,the new Virtual Pc 6.1 supports the installation of 3d games and software?

Rezet
Aug 19, 2003, 10:08 PM
Well, Mhz isn't exactly the myth... Mhz count for quite alot.
Apple resellers and fan boys want you to think they don't.
Pc however makes processors quite crappy. They market Mhz but after 266mhz, all computer cycles decreased. It's like sending a whole bunch of people running really fast thru a small door.
While apple's approach is to make a door wider but people not as fast.

For games, and any simple raw power, PCs will whoop any mac (except fr G5 I guess). Besides if you are looking for an ultimate PC GAMING machine, I'd suggest www.alienware.com not a mac.
There simply not many games for mac...
And most ones out there arent optimized for them well...
Macs have different purpose.. not gaming.
I have an xbox for games... that's exactly what i need..

P. S. Virtual PC is garbage for the purposes you want it to use. It's quite slow and don't count on it to hadle fast pace games...
Virtual PC is to launch some small program that you can't run on mac... not hardcore gaming or any other cpu intensive task.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 20, 2003, 12:00 AM
I'm running Neverwinter Nights at good enough frame rates (typically 10-15 fps, dips as low as 5 in large areas) on a 700 MHz iBook--that's below minimum specifications. A 1 GHz G4 should do just fine for NWN, but don't expect it to be very future-proof if you're mostly interested in games. If you're serious about gaming, get a PC box. If you want to do mostly work and a little gaming on the side, you'll be fine with a Mac.

cb911
Aug 20, 2003, 01:00 AM
i reckon a current 1GHz TiBook should be able to handle most, probably all of the games that are out now.

don't bother trying to play games on VPC, you won't get very far.

G5orbust
Aug 20, 2003, 01:10 AM
well the fact that VPC only recognizes 16MB of total VRAM means that you wont get much farther, fps wise, on a 1 GHz pbook versus an ibook with 16MB or more of VRAM (did the 700MHz models have 8 or 16?).

BrandonRP0123
Aug 20, 2003, 01:58 AM
I'm an occasional gamer.

By occasional, I do mean I've only had castle wolfenstein for about 2 months now (but bought WarCraft III immediately after release - because I still play WarCraft II).

The bottom line is that there are more games on the PCs than on the Macs.

I still miss the days of Duke Nukem 3D, RedNeck rampage and all of those other wonderful PC games of yesteryear you can't find anymore.

I refused to use Microsoft Windows as my desktop OS, however, so this was an even bigger dilemma when I was running Slackware 7.0 on my old Dell Inspiron 3800.

You wouldn't believe how stoked I was the day I got quake to work. Now thanks to Loki, Linux gaming is on the rise. The choices for the Mac, however, still surpass it 10-fold.

I'm very vintage, however. I own the NES, SNES and an Atari 2600

LethalWolfe
Aug 20, 2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Rezet
For games, and any simple raw power, PCs will whoop any mac (except fr G5 I guess). Besides if you are looking for an ultimate PC GAMING machine, I'd suggest www.alienware.com not a mac.

But those alienware cases are so ugly. :D

Lethal

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 02:07 AM
Agreed. :)

beefcake
Aug 20, 2003, 02:09 AM
It is hard to leave some games behind. I would absolutely love for Half-life to run on OS X (no, not for Counter-strike) so I could play some Day of Defeat.

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
But those alienware cases are so ugly. :D

Lethal

Ahh crap... Not this **** again... :rolleyes:
It is one of the best for gaming.

BrandonRP0123
Aug 20, 2003, 02:17 AM

It's the performance that matters. For ugly PCs, god invented spray paint, contact paper, and various other materials. Add a racing stripe and a big exhaust tip.

LethalWolfe
Aug 20, 2003, 02:17 AM

LOL... I'm signing off w/this post. It's always nice to get a good laugh before bed. :p

Lethal

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 02:18 AM
I can make a better case out of Legos :D

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
LOL... I'm signing off w/this post. It's always nice to get a good laugh before bed. :p

Lethal

Man, you are quite easily amused. Must be great on dates... :)

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I can make a better case out of Legos :D

Kinda like that hot one in your avatar? :p

That G5 box when so small, looks like has eyes on the side, doesn't it?

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 02:28 AM
Kinda like that hot one in your avatar? :p

That G5 box when so small, looks like has eyes on the side, doesn't it?

Not sure I follow you on that one since my avatar is of the box of a G5, not the case of one...And yes, I can make quite the nifty Lego box, too.

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 02:33 AM
Not sure I follow you on that one since my avatar is of the box of a G5, not the case of one...And yes, I can make quite the nifty Lego box, too.

2 Words - Smirnoff Ice.
You don't have to follow me. I just don't make much sense right now... Cheers...

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 02:37 AM
To get back on topic, the PowerBook will be powerful enough to play any Mac games you throw at it, but don't expect to play anything beyond Solitaire with VPC.

BrandonRP0123
Aug 20, 2003, 02:57 AM
To get back on topic, the PowerBook will be powerful enough to play any Mac games you throw at it, but don't expect to play anything beyond Solitaire with VPC.

Don't lie to the boy. I've become re-addicted to leisure suit larry 1 (the Mac version won't play in OS 9 OR classic for me, unless someone knows how to make them work)

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 03:00 AM
My bad :D

shadowfax
Aug 20, 2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by BrandonRP0123
Don't lie to the boy. I've become re-addicted to leisure suit larry 1 (the Mac version won't play in OS 9 OR classic for me, unless someone knows how to make them work) yeah, i have had some quirky experiences with both OS 9 games and REALLY BADLY PORTED games. for the latter, take bloodrayne for example. it has a memory leak, so after about 15 minutes (if you have a GB of RAM), your framerate goes all to hell... it really sucks, but would suck just as much (eventually) on any machine, because it's ported by drunk arses.

as for NWN on my GHz Tibook, antony, it runs smooth as butter (mmm, butter...). i haven't bought it yet, but i ran through the demo (i played most of the game on a PC like a year ago anyway), and it worked amazingly well. much better than on my P3 933 MHz with a 64mb Geforce3 card on it... which ran it without problem as well. i think that as apple gains reputation as a speed demon again, we will find more and better ports, sooner following the PC releases.

mim
Aug 20, 2003, 03:33 AM

Back OFF topic, someone HAS made a better case out of lego - take a look at this (appologies if it's a re-post).

http://www.apple-juice.co.uk/lego/Resources/ondesk2725x600.jpeg

<edit: sorry - site is here (http://www.apple-juice.co.uk/lego/)

Antony52
Aug 20, 2003, 06:30 AM
Sorry for not replying sooner but when I created this thread it was 4 o'clock in the morning.
Anyway I am not saying that i am going to sell my desktop pc which is a P4 2.53 with an ATI 9800 Pro.Instead I am going to sell my Compaq laptop which is a P3 1.26 with ATI mobility Radeon.
However I like the Mac for my work which is 3d web design.Hey the interface is better.However I would like to play some games also.
One more questions for you people:The new revised PB are going to be equiped with Nvidia or Ati cards?If Nvidia, will it be the GeForece 4200Go?If not, then I will buy the old PB 15" with the Mobility 9000.Lets face it the GeForce 4xxGo series is no that good.

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 09:13 AM
According to rumors, it will be a an nVidia card...but who knows, maybe a mobile FX 5600 or...dare I say mobile Quatro...maybe that would make up for lack of ATi 9600...

davidbk1
Aug 21, 2003, 08:24 PM
Well, Mhz isn't exactly the myth... Mhz count for quite alot.
Apple resellers and fan boys want you to think they don't.
Pc however makes processors quite crappy. They market Mhz but after 266mhz, all computer cycles decreased. It's like sending a whole bunch of people running really fast thru a small door.
While apple's approach is to make a door wider but people not as fast.

There simply not many games for mac...
And most ones out there arent optimized for them well...
Macs have different purpose.. not gaming.
I have an xbox for games... that's exactly what i need..

P. S. Virtual PC is garbage for the purposes you want it to use. It's quite slow and don't count on it to hadle fast pace games...
Virtual PC is to launch some small program that you can't run on mac... not hardcore gaming or any other cpu intensive task.

Alienware makes good computers, but their tech support is horrendous. I bought a machine from them, and the mother board died about every 7 months (grounding problem i think). and it would take about a month to 3 months to get it fixed, and during that time, they had no idea where it was. You want power? Build your own machine.

Grimace
Aug 21, 2003, 08:35 PM
Plan on being productive and innovative with a Mac Powerbook or otherwise.

Plan on playing serious games on a PC.

Don't plan on doing very much at all on Virtual PC.