PDA

View Full Version : Looks kinda like Powerbook...

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 12:56 AM
I saw this laptop at shopathome network...
For the first second I actually thought it was powerbook heh...
They don't mention the company who makes it, so i can only assume it wont last a life time... :D

http://www.shopathometv.com/largeImagePopup.html?img=/product/images/full/10011037b.gif

cb911
Aug 20, 2003, 01:14 AM
yeah, i've seen that notebook in PC mags.

i thought it looks pretty good for a PC notebook... i think it's a Hi-Grade, or something like that.

big
Aug 20, 2003, 01:14 AM
ummm, that thing had some sort of cancerous growth on its head, or was that just a hat? It realy just barely resembled a PB, still ugly though.

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by big
ummm, that thing had some sort of cancerous growth on its head, or was that just a hat? It realy just barely resembled a PB, still ugly though.

I think that's a sticker they placed over the company's label. For some reason they don't disclose who made the thing. On TV, I didn't see that what you call "cancerous growth"...

I think it looks ok though. But for no name notebook 2300 bucks is abit high... especially since it's 1.4Ghz centrino[B]

cb911
Aug 20, 2003, 01:38 AM
that must be a case that some manufacturer is just selling. they're sold as hi-grade over here (i think) but they've got better specs than that.

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 01:43 AM
Okay, that is just an ugly PC laptop, I don't see any resemblance to a PowerBook besides maybe the metal color of the case? Besides that, it looks nothing like one...

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Okay, that is just an ugly PC laptop, I don't see any resemblance to a PowerBook besides maybe the metal color of the case? Besides that, it looks nothing like one...

Well, you always bring a positive attitude to the threads...
That's why we love you PB G5... :rolleyes:

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Rezet
Well, you always bring a positive attitude to the threads...
That's why we love you PB G5... :rolleyes:

Here we go from the case design expert...if we must rehash this again, let it be stated for the record that my finding that laptop design ugly in no way is meant to say that it isn't beautiful to you. I'm sure after a few beers, it might look more like a TiBook...at least it isn't bright green with glowing alien eyes...but to the topic on hand, I just don't see the resemblance at all.

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 02:22 AM
Nah, I think I realize that you remain negative about most things I say. Needless to say I expected this sorta input from ya to begin with. And I never said it's beautiful. Although I do think it's one of the better PC laptops i've seen.
You still think this thread is about your opinion on the beauty of a case or something?

P.S. And who said I haven't had a few beers? Actually smirnoff ice... (I'm waiting for you to say that Smirnoff ice sux.)

tazo
Aug 20, 2003, 02:23 AM

I concur. If anything it looks like an oversized ibook.

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 02:25 AM
Nah, I think I realize that you remain negative about most things I say. Needless to say I expected this sorta input from ya to begin with. And I never said it's beautiful. Although I do think it's one of the better PC laptops i've seen.
You still think this thread is about your opinion on the beauty of a case or something?

P.S. And who said I haven't had a few beers? Actually smirnoff ice... (I'm waiting for you to say that Smirnoff ice sux.)

Nah, I wouldn't say it sucks...but it is a girl drink...:p Sorry, had to do it just so I stay consistant with your theory that I am negative to your posts

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 02:30 AM
LOL, some say it is. But girls here don't drink that for some reason. Atleast, unlike beer, it doesn't give you a gut that you have to carry in a bag infront of you... :p

BTW BUdd, is fkin water.....

Ohh and btw... what the hell wa sthe topic about?
Ohh yeah, pretty much nothing special, but still let's get back to it...

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by tazo
I concur. If anything it looks like an oversized ibook.

Well, 14" ibook does look like crap. So you are probably right... :D

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 02:42 AM
Well, 14" ibook does look like crap. So you are probably right... :D

I'm not even going to touch this one with a ten foot pole...anyone else care to input on topic?

BrandonRP0123
Aug 20, 2003, 02:48 AM
I saw this laptop at shopathome network...
For the first second I actually thought it was powerbook heh...
They don't mention the company who makes it, so i can only assume it wont last a life time... :D

http://www.shopathometv.com/largeImagePopup.html?img=/product/images/full/10011037b.gif

Wow. Someone found a use for those missing iBook keys. :-)

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by BrandonRP0123
Wow. Someone found a use for those missing iBook keys. :-)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought so...they do look awfully out of place on there.

shadowfax
Aug 20, 2003, 03:47 AM
I'm not even going to touch this one with a ten foot pole...anyone else care to input on topic? i will. the 14" iBook is much too large for its own good. apple offers no reason for anyone to buy them. it's the same size (per pixel) as the 12," and everything looks the same, except spread out more (because it's bigger). this leads to a look akin to the large woman with small limbs. she might be hot if she had proportion, but lacking that, she's really freaking ugly. the 14" inch iBook isn't all that ugly, but it does lack the style and sportiness of the 12" iBook. i wouldn't use one, myself, even if i were on an iBook budget.

as to whatever it may have in common with the offbrand laptop that is the subject of this thread... the white keys and 4:3 ratio are the only thing i am really seeing in common with the 14" iBook. it reminds me more of a Tibook at first. that said, it's not nearly as cool as my tibook--it looks like what it is, a loose imitation, which is, IMO, worse than a laptop that actually branches out with a style all its own. like the tibook was when it first came out.

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 03:50 AM
It's widescreen man...

fukuhela
Aug 20, 2003, 04:12 AM
Whaaasasuck

Widescreen??? To me it looks like 4:3.

And by the way I don't think it looks like the powerbooks. Though I do understand why you would say so with the metalic look. But a lot of laptops have metalic looks.

tjwett
Aug 20, 2003, 04:20 AM
i just wanted to chime in about the 14" iBook since i like to bash it every chance i get. the 14" iBook is a HEAP OF $H!T. i saw another one the other day and i couldn't stop laughing at it. it's just so damn awkward and, blah. and the dislaply looks ridiculous. 14" screen displaying a resolution suited for a 12" screen? it looks exactly like it sounds, maybe worse. blurry, strectched out, a nightmare. this thing should be discontinued right away. it's just awful. it just takes any coolness away from the design at all. an ugly behemoth. Apple should bury this thing and pretend they never brought it to life in the first place.

** notice the almost complete lack of intelligent points and arguments in my post? me too. i just hate the damn thing...

rhpenguin
Aug 20, 2003, 07:55 AM
I'm not even going to touch this one with a ten foot pole...anyone else care to input on topic?

Yep. The 14" iBook looks like ass... but the 12" is small and quite nice :)

blogo
Aug 20, 2003, 09:23 AM
http://www.zepto.no/3100Wide_bildeside.asp

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 09:58 AM
I can see some similarities regarind the placement of the speakers, the vents, and I guess the widescreen/metal case, but it is still pretty obvious it is not a PowerBook at any angle you see it at...with eerie iBook colored keys...you'd think if one were to rip off a copy, one could at least attempt a more unified (and tasteful) look.

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Eple

This looks like a slightly different model. The one Shopathome shows has a dvd-rw similar to powerbook... you load discs in there by simply pushing them slightly in....

BTW which company sells these???

jrv3034
Aug 20, 2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax
--it looks like what it is, a loose imitation, which is, IMO, worse than a laptop that actually branches out with a style all its own. like the tibook was when it first came out.

Agreed. In my opinion, the only PC notebook that comes close to anything offered by Apple is the Sony VAIO PCG-Z1RAP3 Notebook.

This isn't a very good picture, but in person they look quite stunning. The PowerBook is still king, though.

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jrv3034
Agreed. In my opinion, the only PC notebook that comes close to anything offered by Apple is the Sony VAIO PCG-Z1RAP3 Notebook.

This isn't a very good picture, but in person they look quite stunning. The PowerBook is still king, though.

Well, to follow Powerbook G5's attitude I'm gonan say: "this laptop is fkin ugly and looks nothing like PB at all!"

P.S But seriously it doesn't look like it at all.

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 01:50 PM
I have to agree that on the PC side, nothing comes close to the simplistic beauty of Sony's laptop offerings. It makes you wonder why there are some real dogs out there like IBMs ThinkPad series (although pretty impressive performance/reliability for the most part) and Dell's Inspiron series.

Rezet
Aug 20, 2003, 02:02 PM
I have to agree that on the PC side, nothing comes close to the simplistic beauty of Sony's laptop offerings. It makes you wonder why there are some real dogs out there like IBMs ThinkPad series (although pretty impressive performance/reliability for the most part) and Dell's Inspiron series.

Well, atleast now i know your taste is nothing like mine....
Although I agree on Thinkpads heheh

BrandonRP0123
Aug 20, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Eple

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 03:27 PM
In the case of Windows, it's just plain sickening, though. ;)