PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch Screen Mentioned in Keynote

Adokimus
Sep 17, 2007, 11:32 AM
In the keynote address, where the new line of iPods were introduced, Steve Jobs said about the iPod Touch that "it's just about the same size screen as the iPhone..."

Sorry if this thread repeats what others have found, but I'm under the impression that the Touch and the iPhone have exactly the same size screen. I think that Steve Jobs meant to say that it's just about the same screen, because it's not the same screen. People have already noted that it's not the same screen. I'm sick of all the posts wondering who got a bad LED screen on their 15" MBP, and it seems like we're going to have the same deal with the Touch. We'll have to start talking about which brand makes the "negative black" and which doesn't. This is going to stink. Just a way of differentiating it from the iPhone. Here's hoping that I get the same one as PC Magazine when it arrives. Apple needs to use more consistent and better suppliers.

Peace,

Ado

i0Nic
Sep 17, 2007, 11:43 AM
Hm yeah I remember him saying that, at the time I wondered why he would use the words 'just about the same..'. Obviously, they are different screens. Since this is the case, it could take longer for this issue to be resolved, and may never be fully resolved if they continue to use the screen they are using now.

PygmySurfer
Sep 17, 2007, 02:17 PM
Courtesy Mr. Gruber (who apparently got it from François Menu):

Just in case you wanted one more piece of evidence that the iPhone and iPod Touch use different screens, Apple’s documentation for iPod and iPhone case designers has precise dimensions. The iPhone screen measures 76.38?×?51.42 mm; the iPod Touch screen measures 74.9?×?49.9 mm. (Thanks to François Menu.)

sblasl
Sep 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
There was a post on the Apple forums but has been taken down, the guy is an engineer with experience in LCD Technology.

He states:

"I've also recently been made aware that unlike the Iphone, the ipod touch's LCD is not fused to the glass - which would certainly exacerbate the problem of internal reflection. Even the tiniest space between two layers (even if they seem to be laying perfectly flat together) can cause these types of problems."

Rapmastac1
Sep 17, 2007, 03:34 PM
Wait, that post was taken down? Who took it down, maybe he really was onto something and Apple took it down... tsk tsk tsk.