PDA

View Full Version : The audio is worse than the screen

GoinDownSlow
Sep 17, 2007, 12:05 PM
I've had my 16 GB iPod touch for a couple days now. I bought it at Best Buy, complete with the 3 year protection plan. I think the screen is fine. Sin City, Batman Begins, and 2001: A Space Odyssey were more than watchable.

As good as the video is, it is quickly becoming impossible for me to listen to music on the iPod touch. The hissing exists, and although it is intermittent, it is noticeable and it greatly detracts from the listening experience. For example:

-The hissing sound washes over the intro and Merry Clayton's vocal solo in the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter.
-The intentional silence before the bridge in Cream's "Badge?" It is not silent.
-When listening to live recordings, the hiss covers up/mingles with audience applause.

These quibbles may sound minor, but imagine listening to your favorite songs next to the ocean, and you have an idea of what the hiss sounds like. Better yet, imagine the sound from a white-noise generator. It's not an unpleasant sound, per se, but it's there - and it shouldn't be.

Furthermore, I have noticed that I don't feel immersed in my music in the way that I feel I should for $400. This is the first iPod I've owned, and I feel as though the music sounds farther away from me than listening to the same recording on the same earbuds on my four year-old Creative Zen Touch.

The distance/immersion problem can probably be fixed with a higher-quality pair of headphones (I'm using some mid-level Sony buds that I've used for years), but there is no point in purchasing those high-quality headphones if the hissing is present.

Sadly, I will be returning my iPod touch at my earliest convenience.

I LOVE the interface.
Web browsing is fully-functional and fun.
I am happy with my screen
But I cannot listen to my music without being distracted by the hiss, and that is a deal breaker for me.

I would be happy with a working replacement, one without hiss... but it's probably going to be awhile before such a device appears. Please, Apple. I am an audiophile. I stayed away from the iPod for years, foresaking it in favor of Creative and Archos among others. Your multitouch interface drew me in, and the poor audio performance is pushing me right back out the door.

GAS
Sep 17, 2007, 12:10 PM
Slightly OT: If you're an audiophile why buy any mp3 player? Compressed music = bad.

Arisian
Sep 17, 2007, 12:14 PM
Thats interesting, mine sounds pretty good. Is it a byproduct of the music/audio or is it like something isnt connected?

Arisian
Sep 17, 2007, 12:15 PM
Slightly OT: If you're an audiophile why buy any mp3 player? Compressed music = bad.

and now is aparently impossible to be an audiophile. Since he doesn't know you I'm sure that he is correct.

:)

Arisian

GoinDownSlow
Sep 17, 2007, 12:15 PM
Fair enough question :p

I've got loads of FLAC and I'm interested to play around with Apple Lossless. I can deal with the loss of quality in compression to have the iPod touch... the Web browser sold me on it, and I'm enjoying Youtube and the video screen.

The audio distortion I'm getting from the touch, though, isn't the same "distortion" that comes from compression issues. It's major distortion (as in, it's hard to hear the music over a foreign noise). It's not a matter of sound being taken away/muted in compression, it's a matter of an annoying sound (the hiss) being ADDED to my music. That's awful!

TonyHoyle
Sep 17, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hopefully the new batch fixes that as well.. they can't all be as bad otherwise nobody would keep them - it is after all a music player by design and should do that well.

Santoanderson
Sep 17, 2007, 12:22 PM
I'd find someone else with the same model and see if they have the same hissing problem. If they don't, your IPod is defective, if you still hear it and they don't, take out your hearing aide. :)

RCGMac
Hmm, I am not having this issue on my new Touch. I would take it back and ask for a new one, but then you might get a unit with a bad screen. :rolleyes: Or you could return, get your money back and wait for the bugs to be ironed out hopefully in a few weeks. It is annoying, to buy a $400 product, just to have to return it again.

Apple needs to fix its QC, I have never doubted that. My issue has always come from people who make it appear like an issue is a lot bigger than it really is. Good luck, and I hope you get a new working device like you deserve soon!

GAS
and now is aparently impossible to be an audiophile. Since he doesn't know you I'm sure that he is correct.

:)

Arisian

Sorry, but that didn't make any sense to me whatsoever. :l

OP: Fair enough, was just wondering.

Arisian
Sep 17, 2007, 12:31 PM
Sorry, but that didn't make any sense to me whatsoever. :l

OP: Fair enough, was just wondering.

I'm just pointing out the fact that every time someone refers to themselves as an audiophile on these forums, someone is there to dispute that. No harm intended, just thought it was interesting that you would dispute that claim, thought I understand what you are trying to say.

Arisian

GoinDownSlow
Sep 17, 2007, 11:47 PM
I don't mean to be a pest, but I thought it worthy that I bump this thread. All the threads about the defective screens, are people just ignoring the hiss, or are they unaffected by it, or is it a matter of "who CARES about the audio, my screen is busted!?"

My screen isn't perfect, but it's watchable. The audio is unlistenable. Maybe I'm being selfish/myopic here, but it seems like the touch has larger problems than negative screens.

Garrett
Sep 17, 2007, 11:54 PM
There is no hissing sound on mine, could you record it with a camera or something? That is if you hook it up to a stereo.

QuarterSwede
Sep 17, 2007, 11:54 PM
I don't mean to be a pest, but I thought it worthy that I bump this thread. All the threads about the defective screens, are people just ignoring the hiss, or are they unaffected by it, or is it a matter of "who CARES about the audio, my screen is busted!?"

My screen isn't perfect, but it's watchable. The audio is unlistenable. Maybe I'm being selfish/myopic here, but it seems like the touch has larger problems than negative screens.
Sounds like you have a defective unit. My 1G Nano doesn't sound like that. It may not have the hottest output but it sure doesn't have any hissing.

rorschach
Sep 18, 2007, 12:07 AM
There is no hissing sound on mine, could you record it with a camera or something? That is if you hook it up to a stereo.

Seconded...I don't know what's up with all these problems people are having but mine is perfect. Great audio and video...works perfectly, except for a few software bugs like Safari crashing occasionally.