PDA

View Full Version : Airtunes & component audio system

elvedon
Sep 17, 2007, 02:31 PM
I've got a pair of B&W 804 speakers, a Bryston B60-R integrated amplifier, a Rotel CD player, and a Pro-Ject phono player & preamp. The system is much better than my ability to understand how it works!

I know that generally it's really easy to hook an Airport Express up to a stereo via an input jack and to stream music from iTunes via Airtunes. But I'm not sure how or where to hook up the Airport Express with my system--the speakers? the preamp part? the amp part?--or what sort of cable--analog? digital?--I'd need to use. I use both PC and Mac machines with iTunes, if that matters.

I know this is not that complicated but I don't know what I'm doing and any advice would be much appreciated.

TEG
Sep 17, 2007, 03:01 PM
You should connect a mini-jack to stereo RCA cable from the AirPort to your control component (the one you use to select what comonent to use.) There should be a connector with two RCA jacks on the back (one red, one white, corresponding to the colors on the cable) that is labeled AUX. All you'll need to do is select AUX and connect your iTunes to the AirPort (a menu appears in the lower right of the iTunes window when it finds an AirPort with AirTunes, just select the name of the station you used.)

Viola, Done.

TEG

aross99
Sep 17, 2007, 03:04 PM
The airport express also has a Toslink Optical output as well, if you would prefer to use that - and if your pre-amp supports optical inputs...

elvedon
Sep 17, 2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks, TEG--that sounds pretty straightforward. I'll take a look at it when I get home.

Sep 17, 2007, 07:15 PM
I've got a pair of B&W 804 speakers, a Bryston B60-R integrated amplifier, a Rotel CD player, and a Pro-Ject phono player & preamp. The system is much better than my ability to understand how it works!

I know that generally it's really easy to hook an Airport Express up to a stereo via an input jack and to stream music from iTunes via Airtunes. But I'm not sure how or where to hook up the Airport Express with my system--the speakers? the preamp part? the amp part?--or what sort of cable--analog? digital?--I'd need to use. I use both PC and Mac machines with iTunes, if that matters.

I know this is not that complicated but I don't know what I'm doing and any advice would be much appreciated.

Use mini-stereo to RCA stereo to your preamp if it has analog inputs only.

If your preamp supports optical input, use a mini-toslink to standard toslink fiber optic cable to your preamp.