PDA

View Full Version : erase completly my startup drive

mikos
Aug 20, 2003, 05:33 AM
Is there some place for new mac users. Iwould like to find an information to erase my start up completly.
Sorry if I bodering.

britboy
Aug 20, 2003, 05:50 AM
What OS are you using? If you're on OS 9 or older, you can use the Drive Setup utility. It should be located somewhere in your utilities folder. What you would need to do is boot up using a startup disk (such as the OS 9 installation CD), launch Drive Setup, check "zero all data" and "low level format", and let it do the job. If you need more info, have a look here (http://www.sciencequest.org/support/computers/mac/topics/drive_setup.html).

If you're using OS X, follow this guide: From here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107437)
1. Insert the Mac OS X CD.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Immediately after the startup sound, press and hold the "C" key to start up from CD.
4. When the Installer screen appears, do not click Continue. Instead, choose Installer > Open Disk Utilities.
5. Select the hard drive to erase.
6. Click the Erase tab.
7. Select the volume format from the Volume Format pop-up menu.
8. Click Options.
9. Select the checkbox for "Zero all data".
10. Click OK.
11. Click Erase.

mikos
Aug 20, 2003, 12:46 PM
Sorry, it was on OS X, is that the only way, Im looking for the most efectiv way of doing it. Thanks again, Mikos

idea_hamster
Aug 20, 2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by mikos
is that the only way, Im looking for the most efectiv way of doing it

You could just put your whole Mac onto a really, really big magnet...:p

Seriously, though, if you want to initialize/erase the whole hard drive, then use your OS X install disk as described above. Good luck formatting!

mikos
Aug 20, 2003, 01:05 PM
I got it, till then, thanks

TEG
Aug 20, 2003, 01:34 PM
Just remember to format 3+ times, that removes any remaining reminents (Even with zeroing) that can cause problems down the road.

TEG

mikos
Aug 20, 2003, 06:18 PM
I saw your message after zeroing, but something from inside of me tall me to do it few times, dont know if it was three times but I hope it`s work, thanks a lot.