Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abdesai

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Please

It may not mean anything, but I sure hope that it's a sign that new pbooks are coming.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I doubt amazon has any specific knowledge about the releases.

It may just reflect no-stock left at distributors.

arn

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Hey Arn, why don't you just rename "page2 Rumors" > "Powerbook Rumors" and be done with it :p

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
This seems to have happened alot with the 15 inch on Amazon in the last few months. It will be listed as discontinued and then later in stock and then back again...

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
I like what Amazon says underneath saying is is out of Stock:

"The replacement for this item is Apple PowerBook Notebook 17" M8793LL/A (1.0-GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, DVD-RW/CD-RW Drive)"

That is a big jump up for a replacement product.

For the record I don't think that this is a sure sign of updates in the immediate future.

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
That's my guess.

Originally posted by arn
I doubt amazon has any specific knowledge about the releases.

It may just reflect no-stock left at distributors.

arn

With all the speculation and rumors that are out there, it is hard to see the real signs. The product life indicator that MacRumors uses is golden. Use that with what the chip manufactures are actually making and you might have a true indicator of when things are about to change.

But we can still hope. It's just that I would hate to drop the cash and then see the update I've been waiting for. Not that the current product is bad mind you.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
"Significance unknown."

>Significance unknown.

I think the significance is that it will fuel speculation for another week. :)

Eventually they'll release new PBs so at least with rumors every week sometime they will be correct!

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Another useful tool...

Would be to have a monitor (e.g. with something like PageSentry from maxum (not maxim, btw)) that monitors Apple's web site at store.apple.com. Whenever it sees the "We'll be back shortly" message, it would notify you that something is up right then!

I am going to try it with PageSentry right now...

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
A dealer told me several weeks ago they were told by Apple that new laptops were coming. Still waiting and won't believe it until I see them.

Drinahn

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2003
Aussie in London
Australian resellers are making claims of updates...

Apple resellers in Australia appear to be claiming apple powerbook updates are close. My girlfriend placed an order with a apple store today, only to be told "Yes we'll take the order, but we won't process it and enter it into the system. There are 23 15" powerbooks in the state and 220 orders for them. So if we add your order you won't get it yet anyway. We'll put it through when the update comes in."

Now I have to say that is pretty crap, if she orders one now, stick it on the damned queue, let apple worry about the rest. You'll be happy to know however that the apple-store were referring verbally to macrumors.com as their source for information that updates were on way.

Oh the cyclic nature of it all....

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Maybe the 17" is the replacement for the 15". Maybe there isn't going to be any 15" in the future.

For those who say the 17" is too big, the 15" is pretty big, too. The machines probably do address the same market. If the price came down on the 17" a lot, who wouldn't be satisfied?

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
and did they mention that updates are due on tuesday???

guaranteed!!!

(as in, yesterday)

you guys just missed it...

:)

matt

NoPrideELF

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Jersey
Originally posted by cubist
Maybe the 17" is the replacement for the 15". Maybe there isn't going to be any 15" in the future.

For those who say the 17" is too big, the 15" is pretty big, too. The machines probably do address the same market. If the price came down on the 17" a lot, who wouldn't be satisfied?

They are not getting rid of the 15" it's the perfect size for average consumer and their pb sales would most definitely plummet if they did.

Mokona

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Re: It's wed

Originally posted by brucku
Ok it's wed. So we're looking at friday?
Making a release on a friday is not a very good strategy (market-wise). Instead, leak details through rumour channels and then proceed on monday. (After it's all been hyped up, or down) This will act as a destabiliser on market prices and will result in a sudden jump on stock prices on monday, which in turn will result in a higher profit-margin etc.

Never mind my strange rambling, too much coffee.

Alexander

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Re: Re: It's wed

Originally posted by Mokona
Making a release on a friday is not a very good strategy (market-wise). Instead, leak details through rumour channels and then proceed on monday. (After it's all been hyped up, or down) This will act as a destabiliser on market prices and will result in a sudden jump on stock prices on monday, which in turn will result in a higher profit-margin etc.

And in other news, Apple starts day-trading its own stock...?

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Friday, Tuesday

Now, Apple has learned from past mistakes on releasing major products on Friday. However, that was mainly software and operating systems. What hardware issues can't be addressed by a mail in repair?

I know rumors were last Tuesday. However, if we're gonna see anything before Paris, it would be this Friday or this Tuesday. More likely the later, though I'd prefer the former.

Jaedreth

IDTheft

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2003
US, Asia, Europe....Everywhere
Originally posted by cubist

Maybe Apple is getting rid the the notebook line of computers. His Jobness had a change of heart and decided that Apple should concentrate on desktops only.:rolleyes:

munki

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2003
I wouldn't give much creedence to Amazon's actions. My understanding is that they usually find out about stuff about the same time the rest of us do.

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Re: Australian resellers are making claims of updates...

Originally posted by Drinahn
Apple resellers in Australia appear to be claiming apple powerbook updates are close. My girlfriend placed an order with a apple store today, only to be told "Yes we'll take the order, but we won't process it and enter it into the system. There are 23 15" powerbooks in the state and 220 orders for them. So if we add your order you won't get it yet anyway. We'll put it through when the update comes in."

Now I have to say that is pretty crap, if she orders one now, stick it on the damned queue, let apple worry about the rest. You'll be happy to know however that the apple-store were referring verbally to macrumors.com as their source for information that updates were on way.

Yes I have to say whenever I go into an AppleStore in Australia hoping to glean some more information from them it's obvious they've just been reading the same MacRumors posts as I have :p

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Re: Australian resellers are making claims of updates...

Originally posted by Drinahn

Australian Apple re-sellers don't know what's goin on. just 3 weeks ago my local reseller didn't have any 15" PowerBooks, then 2 weeks ago they just got another shipment in, and it looks just like business as usual. There has to be updates soon though, and you can tell something is up by the number of sellers running out of stock. If the PowerBooks weren't going to be updated, Apple is just losing money by not not producing the current 15"s.

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Re: Friday, Tuesday

Originally posted by jaedreth
Now, Apple has learned from past mistakes on releasing major products on Friday. However, that was mainly software and operating systems. What hardware issues can't be addressed by a mail in repair?

I know rumors were last Tuesday. However, if we're gonna see anything before Paris, it would be this Friday or this Tuesday. More likely the later, though I'd prefer the former.

Jaedreth
well Tue is truly come and gone ... but I mean why not Tue next week or the week after that, or even a Wed ... heck I'll believe anything now!:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.