Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heskii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
I've just recently got hold of a second hand 20 gig hard drive out of an old PC that was on it's last legs. I was wondering if i could put this in my G4 400 which already has a 20 gig ATA ? hard drive, to bump my storage space up to 40 gig.

I've a few question i need answering if anyone could help me out

1. Are there any compatability issues with different types/makes of hard drive ?

2. Do i have to format or initialize ? the drive once i've fit it & how do i do this ?

3. Will this effect the operating system once i've done it. i'm running OS 9.2 ?

4. Could it effect my internal zip drive ?

5. Will my machine run faster/slower or the same ?

6 If i removed the drive at a later date could this effect my operating system (i'm planning on storing just MP3s on the new drive) ?

cheers anyone

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Re: 2nd Hard Disk help

Originally posted by Heskii

1. Are there any compatability issues with different types/makes of hard drive ?
Not if they are IDE. Obviously IDE and SCSI require different cotrollers/cables but you can have both in 1 machine.
2. Do i have to format or initialize ? the drive once i've fit it & how do i do this ?
Use Disk Utility (or OS9 equiv.)
3. Will this effect the operating system once i've done it. i'm running OS 9.2 ?
No
4. Could it effect my internal zip drive ?
Not if you don't unplug the cables from the back of the zip drive!
5. Will my machine run faster/slower or the same ?
Probably the same, although if both drives are on the same ATA channel (on the same cable) and you are accessing both at the same time you may see a little slowdown in disk access times.
6 If i removed the drive at a later date could this effect my operating system (i'm planning on storing just MP3s on the new drive) ?
No
cheers anyone
You're welcome!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Couple of answers:

1) No compatibility isssues I know of...

2) You'll have to initialize it. You can do this (running OS 9.2) by starting the application called "Drive Setup". It's found in your Applications (Mac OS 9):Utilities.
Initialize it using the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended)

3) Shouldn't affect anything, just a mounted 2nd drive on your desktop

4) Nope. Your ZIP drive is connected to another ATA bus

5) Same

6) No. You just won't be able to find those MP3's

Don't forget to make the second drive the "slave"!. I assume, you'll be installing it right on top of the first (master) drive, attaching it to the same ATA bus.

Heskii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks

Thanks MacsRgr8 for that....
the more info i get the better.

cheers

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Right robbieduncan......

Regard my post as a confirmation of yours :D

Just posted mine before I could read yours...

It's always nice to have someone else agree with you! And you filled in the missing OS9 details (I was never really a Mac user before OSX).

Heskii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
a few more questions

i've got a few more questions
I'm planning on fitting the HD this weekend when i can buy some small screws, so i had a quick look inside my computer last night. I've located the IDE cable
(flat ribbon thingy with the red line on it) and that looks like it's got another connecter which i presume goes into my 2nd hard drive. I did some research & next to this is something called Jumper Block with a white jumper shunt ...

1. Does this matter that the jumper shunt is in a different position to my original HD s Jumper shunt ?

2. The (Red black black yellow) lead that goes into the power connector of my HD 1 splits off into an identical lead. Should this also be plugged into HD 2 as well or is this not necessary ?

3. Should the HD 2 sit flush on top of the HD 1 or should there be a gap between. It seems strange there being an open circuit board on the bottom of the HD and I wouldn't want to blow anything ?

Thanks anyone

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Re: a few more questions

Where do you live? In the UK Maplin carry little bags of mixed computer screws that are very useful.

1. Does this matter that the jumper shunt is in a different position to my original HD s Jumper shunt ?

The positioning and usage of jumers varies with HD manufaturer (and somtime within manufaturer). There is often a diagram on the top of the drive that tells you what the jumper positions are. You need to ensure that the jumpers are in the correct positions for the usage. If you are connecting the drive to the connector in the middle of the IDE cable it needs to be set to slave (or cable select). If you are connecting it to the end of the cable it needs to be master (or cable select).

2. The (Red black black yellow) lead that goes into the power connector of my HD 1 splits off into an identical lead. Should this also be plugged into HD 2 as well or is this not necessary ?

As noted this is from the power supply. It is called a Molex Connector. You need to supply power to the drive so plug it in!

3. Should the HD 2 sit flush on top of the HD 1 or should there be a gap between. It seems strange there being an open circuit board on the bottom of the HD and I wouldn't want to blow anything ?

Personally I always like to leave a little gap for air flow as some HDs get a bit hot. If they do end up sitting flush it shouldn't be a problem.

Heskii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Hi again robbieduncan

Can you check this link out for me its for the actual modal of HD i'm going to fit.

Its a 10 pin & at the moment its set to the cable select diagram.
I think its the one above I need to set it to Dual (slave) is that correct.

HD number = wd200bb = http://www.westerndigital.com

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...p_new_search=1&p_search_type=4&p_sort_by=dflt

There's a shop near where i live (Preston) that i can nip out to for the screws at weekend ....cheers for the offer.

cheers

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Yep Dual Slave is probably what you want. If you want you can use Cable Select (this makes the drive select either Master or Slave depending on which connecter it is plugged into).

Don't worry if you get the jumpers wrong by the way: you can't actually damage anything doing that!

Heskii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks

Thanks Robbie ....your help is very much appreciated

cheers
Heskii

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.