PDA

View Full Version : iPod classic Q's

ezekielant
Sep 17, 2007, 10:06 PM
Hey all I have recently purchased my first iPod and it's the 80GB "classic." As this is a birthday present for my partner I haven't had the chance to play with it so I have been reading mucho information. A few questions I haven't been able to find info about.

In regards to the TV out function being disabled on non genuine accessories. Does this apply just to the TV out function? If I get a third party FM transmitter/Charging station etc...Will these accessories still function correctly? Also if I purchase an Apple universal dock and then use a third party AV cable with the dock with that allow me to use TV out?

Many people seem to dislike iTunes I hear this is due to the fact that data that you store on the iPod can then not be taken off and put on another PC. Is this a limitation and are there any other limitations to consider with iTunes?

How am I able to get the iPod to act as a portable hard drive is this a function within iTunes? Are there any alternatives softwares for Windows that are up and running yet? So far I have only seen a few *nix programs that have been able to work with the classic.

Firmware upgrades, I have been shipped one of the first released ones in Australia. How do I check the firmware version and then update if necessary?

Btw don't hate me :apple: guys/girls as I am a Windoze spaz :p

Thanks in advance for your time and effort

rockthecasbah
Sep 17, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'll address your questions in the order they appear:

In regards to the TV out function being disabled on non genuine accessories. Does this apply just to the TV out function? If I get a third party FM transmitter/Charging station etc...Will these accessories still function correctly? Also if I purchase an Apple universal dock and then use a third party AV cable with the dock with that allow me to use TV out?

I really don't know honestly so i'll leave that up to someone with more product experience.

Many people seem to dislike iTunes I hear this is due to the fact that data that you store on the iPod can then not be taken off and put on another PC. Is this a limitation and are there any other limitations to consider with iTunes?

There are many fixes for this problem. 3rd party programs exist that will take the music off, but the reason this original barrier exists is to prevent copyright issues with mass file copying, etc. If you want to just physically move files, you can enable the iPod to work as a removable hard drive, load the files on, and then just take them off once you get to the other computer... The downside to that being that the files just put on the iPod in that manner won't be playable (but you can also have files listenable and use the drive's extra space as a removable hard drive if that makes sense).

How am I able to get the iPod to act as a portable hard drive is this a function within iTunes? Are there any alternatives softwares for Windows that are up and running yet? So far I have only seen a few *nix programs that have been able to work with the classic.

(see above, just enable "hard disk" mode under iPod options within iTunes).

Firmware upgrades, I have been shipped one of the first released ones in Australia. How do I check the firmware version and then update if necessary?

iTunes will generally alert you when new upgrades are available for both iTunes and iPod software/firmware. Also you can manually hit "check for updates" to get the same results.

Hope that helps!

ezekielrage_99
Sep 17, 2007, 10:55 PM
You get an iPod and you kind of have to use iTunes, some people like it some people don't. If you check out VersionTracker (www.versiontracker.com) there might be some alternatives to iTunes.

IMHO the iPod classic has just been released I think it's a little premature to write off all the accessories for the moment, there will be newer supported stuff coming out, it's not a matter of if it's when.

For the Firmware as soon as you connect the iPod to iTunes it will show you what Firmware you're using, I think it will be a few months before we see any updates of firmware with the nanos, classics and touches.

I just got my *new* Black iPod classic, its awesome all I can say is that you're going to have so much fun with it. Enjoy

ezekielant
Sep 19, 2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Is there anyone who has tried using their old 3rd party accessories with the classic and experienced any problems? As I'm an iPod newbie I have no accessories yet and only want to buy ones that will work. I'm thinking the best compromise over cost/functionality would be to buy an official iPod dock (so the iPod sees the required chip) and use a third party AV cable to allow it to use TV out. Has anyone tried this?

Oh and can you put a custom wallpaper in the background of an iPod?

burnhamish
Sep 20, 2007, 08:01 AM
If I am not mistaken, the previous generation iPod Videos have a three-contact phono jack (R&L audio and video). The iPod classic has reverted to a two-contact jack for audio only. Video out is now handled through the dock connector (composite or component video, your choice for $49 each!). I don't know if the older dock connector video cables work with the iPod Classic, I just know the phono-plug video cables won't work except in the Apple Universal dock.

flying dog
Sep 20, 2007, 09:38 AM

I thought you could just plug it into another PC, open the ipod with Windows Explorer, go to view options and select 'view hidden files.'

ezekielant
Sep 20, 2007, 06:43 PM
I thought you could just plug it into another PC, open the ipod with Windows Explorer, go to view options and select 'view hidden files.'

haha really? That's nice and easy (a little too easy?)

Gave it to my missus last night and she loves it (the iPod.) I have to say I'm impressed it is a great little device seems like its soul purpose is for watching cartoons on its great display. iTunes has proved to be very useful and not a hinderence like I initially thought. It's actually making me get off my arse and sort my music out. Cover flow is very cool and runs seamless for me. Great product and I am looking forward to getting the full use out of it. I was very skeptical about buying an iPod because of the anti-conformist within but I am truly happy with this little gem.....How they cram 80GB into such a small package is astounding.

nateDEEZY
Sep 21, 2007, 08:11 AM
Using the older universal dock, the one with the IR in the front and the video out and s-video out in the back, works with the ipod classic for video out.