Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

--Wolf--

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Chch, New Zealand
Just been wondering, how quick is it to pull the Touch out of your pocket, un-hold/lock it and turn the volume down/pause if someone starts talking to you?

When you go to un-hold it...do you need to slide the slider bar to access music settings? Or can that be accessed while is Touch is still somewhat locked?

colto

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Takes about 2 seconds for me to press the home button, slide the bar to unlock, and then press pause or move the volume down. Not a big deal really.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Or you could just pull the headphones out (doesn't even need to be all the way). It pauses it when you do that...actually all iPods since I believe the 4G have.

colto

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Oh ok, I could've sworn I heard there was a way to bring the controls up without sliding the bar thingy.

You tap the home button twice and it brings up a small menu with a pause, <, and > button plus a volume slider. But that is only if you are using the iPod to do something else such as web surfing. Won't work if it's locked.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Oh ok, I could've sworn I heard there was a way to bring the controls up without sliding the bar thingy.

there is...you double click the home button. the controls pop up even if its locked.

EDIT: dammit...someone beat me to it and he "claims" that it doesnt work when its locked. I could have also sworn that i read somewhere and it works also when locked. oh well.

--Wolf--

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Chch, New Zealand
You tap the home button twice and it brings up a small menu with a pause, <, and > button plus a volume slider. But that is only if you are using the iPod to do something else such as web surfing. Won't work if it's locked.

Oh, maybe I got confused with that. How's that vid coming along? :p

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia

You sure? I remember in the video tour of the iPod touch it said you can lock the iPod and then bring up the controls by double-clicking the home button. So even if your iPod is locked, you have quick and easy access to the music controls. Correct me if I'm wrong.

:apple:Matt

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

correct me if i'm wrong, but double pressing the home button to bring up the onscreen controls will only work if the ipod touch is locked. if it isn't locked, any press of the home key will bring you to the home screen.

infectbda

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
correct me if i'm wrong, but double pressing the home button to bring up the onscreen controls will only work if the ipod touch is locked. if it isn't locked, any press of the home key will bring you to the home screen.

No, this function was added to the iPod touch anytime you double press the home button. It will overlay controls over whatever you are doing if you are using the iPod, and will bring them up if the phone is locked.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

It does work if it's locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.