PDA

View Full Version : how do i manage to close my powerbook while having an external monitor connected?

andevo
Aug 20, 2003, 12:47 PM
ok, this might be a stupid question. but i want to run a external monitor on my 12" powerbook, and as i have both a keyboard and a mouse connected it just takes space to have my powerbook open. but if i try to close the screen the entire computer just put itself to sleep. where can i change this?

Gus
Aug 20, 2003, 01:07 PM
It used to be possible to run the old Pismo PowerBooks with the lid closed, but because of the heat involved with the G4s and such, this is no longer a supported function of the PowerBook. While it would still be possible, Apple does not "recommend" it.

Regards,
Gus

Juventuz
Aug 20, 2003, 01:16 PM
I always have my TiPowerBook closed when it's connected to a monitor.

All I do is open the lid a little, press the power button then immediately close the lid. The computer boots up normally and I can use my Pro keyborad and mouse that I have attached to it and there's no problem with the external monitor I use. I've NEVER had a problem doing this.

TEG
Aug 20, 2003, 01:33 PM
After the machine goes to sleep, hit a key on the external keyboard, the machine will awaken and work great.
BTW: When running with an External monitor, my TiBook is quiet, and cooler to the touch than when open. Also Apple does support a closed PBG4 with external monitor.

I'm still trying to figure to shut off the screen when open but with out sleeping (For saving Battery when traveling) also I sometimes have the screen off after using the sleep disconnect ext trick, and even the open, detect display, disconnect, detect again, then sleep. When I reawaken, the screen will not power on, and I have to restart.
Any Idea?

TEG

mnkeybsness
Aug 20, 2003, 04:04 PM
i know this has been brought up before, but check out NoSleep (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20087)

jadariv
Aug 20, 2003, 04:29 PM
Make sure you have the pbook plugged in. Then close the lid. Hook on the monitor, then the external keyboard and mouse. Hit the space bar and it should work. Once in while, i run into a hickup and i have to reboot, but for the most part, just close lid and follow the steps i've given.

Also, if you are worried about the screen and heat, just grab one of those pads that dissipates heat. there are a couple at compusa for 24.95 and 34.95.