PDA

View Full Version : Noise while browsing through pictures - Is that normal? (80GB Classic)

polihaupt
Sep 18, 2007, 02:40 AM
This is my first ever hard drive player, so I have no idea what to expect

I got my 80GB Ipod Classic yesterday and I have noticed that there is little sound every time the picture changes - either one by one or slideshow

Is it normal, or is there something wrong with my Ipod?

notsofatjames
Sep 18, 2007, 02:41 AM
do you have clicker sounds enabled, so it clicks as you go up and down menus.

Otherwise, I dont think this is normal.

polihaupt
Sep 18, 2007, 03:01 AM
do you have clicker sounds enabled, so it clicks as you go up and down menus.

Otherwise, I dont think this is normal.

Hmm... no

It sounds like a "computer thinking" - a tiny zooooimg and then 2 tiny clicks, clicks. I had not noticed last night, but this morning my husband asked what the sound was. I need to put it close to my face to hear it.

notsofatjames
Sep 18, 2007, 03:06 AM
it must be the harddrive. If it bothers you, take to an apple store to check if its out of the ordinary. I would expect a whirring, clicky sort of sound from a HDD.

polihaupt
Sep 18, 2007, 03:11 AM
I would expect a whirring, clicky sort of sound from a HDD.

Maybe that's what it is then... Whirring is more what I was trying to describe

It won't bother me if I know that it's how hard drive players do. It would make sense since it has to access the drive and stuff...

I only had flash players before, and the only one that made noise was my Creative Zen Micro - right before it died! So I guess I am a bit traumatized... :rolleyes:

notsofatjames
Sep 18, 2007, 03:14 AM
does anyone you know have a harddisk iPod you can compare with. I would expect it to make a bit more of a noise when changing pictures, since it has to load the picture around about that time. I could always hear my iPod vibrating when i put it on my hard desk. Then if you stick your ear on the desk, you can hear the disk spinning quite clearly!