PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Launched in the UK on O2 Network

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Sep 18, 2007, 04:31 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

At Apple's media event (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/18/apples-london-media-event-live-coverage/) in London, Apple launched the iPhone UK which will go on sale on November 9th for £269 (including VAT) and will use the O2 network as rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/17/apples-negotiations-and-the-iphone-in-europe/).

- Unlimited data for £35, £45, £55.
- 18 month contract.
- Uses EDGE (no 3g).
- iTunes WiFi Store
- 8GB Storage

Apple has also created an agreement with Cloud to offer 7500 free WiFi spots in the UK.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/18/iphone-launched-in-the-uk-on-o2-network/)

aswitcher
Sep 18, 2007, 04:33 AM
I think after this they are going to sell more touches - buy a touch for a year and then get the 3G iPhone on a cheaper plan.

Sabenth
Sep 18, 2007, 04:34 AM
all that for that bah seen more action on a postage stamp price aint that bad i guess

russellelly
Sep 18, 2007, 04:35 AM
No deal for me. Sticking with a Touch and an N73 with 3G and an unlimited data plan for a lot less per month.

Darkroom
Sep 18, 2007, 04:35 AM
what a boring "special event" :)

fireplace
Sep 18, 2007, 04:36 AM
deal or no deal?

no deal there. crappy O2, no 3g etc.

I'll get a touch instead and save a whole load of cash - £55 for 'unlimited'?:eek::eek:

Carniphage
Sep 18, 2007, 04:36 AM
An estimated 30% of UK covered by Edge at launch?

That means paying 35quid per month for "unlimited data".
I'd say that the incredibly slow dribble of data through the 2G network is somewhat limited.

I like the device but I will not be paying $70 per month for GPRS.

C.

thatsmega.net
Sep 18, 2007, 04:37 AM
These tarriffs are pants

http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/iphonetariffs

edesignuk
Sep 18, 2007, 04:38 AM
The tariffs are awful on a phone that isn't subsidised, and the EDGE coverage pathetic.

For a starting point of £35 per month you should get a damn sight more than 200 txts/mins and "unlimited" data on their 30% coverage network.

Great device, sucky agreement.

appleguy
if you have Edge..

Stuff the UK bring the iPhone down under

FatGolfer
Very weak. I think they have underestimated the maturity of the European mobile market by excluding 3G. Most phones are 3G capable and most are free with a contract.

C- must try harder.

Roy Hobbs
Sep 18, 2007, 04:39 AM
These tarriffs are pants

Pants???

codo
Could that announcement have been more lame? Over priced and over inflated.

And by the way, O2's definition of unlimited according to Engadget is no more than "1,400 internet pages per day." Rock on! I'll stick with Orange.

bentley
This is a fundamentally flawed deal in th UK where we expect more than this for our phone plans.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my 3G and HDSPA enabled MDA Vario II (HTC TyTN).

jnc
I'll stomach the EDGE (I don't find 3G on my N95 that amazing in the first place), but somebody please unlock that **************** and let me use t-mobile.

MacsRgr8
Sep 18, 2007, 04:40 AM
Rumors seemed to be correct.
Maybe a bit later than expected...

Wonder when the German & French launch will come (and ofcourse for the rest of us Europeans ;))

sparkyms
Sep 18, 2007, 04:41 AM
seriously considering buying one from teh US as it will first be cheaper, I can get it quicker, and unlock it so I can keep my current (more superior) tariff, which I can add data to, for about the same price as they're asking for the base tariff.

The tariffs are terrible.

edesignuk
I'll stomach the EDGE (I don't find 3G on my N95 that amazing in the first place), but somebody please unlock that **************** and let me use t-mobile.T-Mobile don't have EDGE.

Scarlet Fever
we could do with some WiFi spots around Australia. We're still in the dark ages of the Internet here.

miniConvert
Only 30% EDGE coverage, and we have to wait until November?

And what on earth is with the daily EDGE usage FUP? 1,400 pages sounds a lot, but I'd bet it's not much in terms of MB's.

I was prepared to get what had been rumoured, but I think the announcement has been a disappointment.

thevofl
Sep 18, 2007, 04:42 AM
What is Fair Usage?

1400 pages a day?

Curious.

Kaptajn Haddock
Sep 18, 2007, 04:42 AM
Pathetic launch. Should have thought they would have learned by now NOT to use the EDGE network. Why can't I buy this phone and use it with what ever company I want to??? Damn, Apple!

Lunja
Sep 18, 2007, 04:43 AM
These tarriffs are pants

Agreed. 200mins and 200 texts for £35 is terrible... I'd rather have a data limit and be able to talk or text more.

Looks like I'll be keeping my current phone for a while :)

appleguy
Sep 18, 2007, 04:44 AM
What is Fair Usage?

1400 pages a day?

Curious.

I think its to stop people using the iphone as a modem/router and mass downloading

edesignuk
And what on earth is with the daily EDGE usage FUP? 1,400 pages sounds a lot, but I'd bet it's not much in terms of MB's.Curious here too. I want to know the limit in megabytes, not averaged web page views. They're probably basing this on plain text websites, wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes:

MacsRgr8
T-Mobile don't have EDGE.

I am using EDGE on T-Mobile NL, though.

englishman
Am I missing something - why does the EU/UK Govt allow operators/phone manufacturers to tie in specific phones to specific operators - surely that's anti-competitive - but shows up Apple/Steve Jobs and gang nicely as the money grabbing cynics they are.

Nice phones though - paa - people get too hung up on technology - and should get a life - instead of posting on these forums - oops ;)

ruZZ.il
is the £35 unlimited data plan more limited than the £45 one? :P

voodoofish
Sep 18, 2007, 04:45 AM
those tariffs are crazy - you get less than half what you get on a normal 18 month tariff, and without a free phone either!

miniConvert
Sep 18, 2007, 04:45 AM
I think its to stop people using the iphone as a modem/router and mass downloading
Which is really likely at EDGE speeds, particularly with only 30% population coverage. O2 are just tight. But then it looks like they're giving most of their margin to Apple, so it's not without reason.

koenvl
Sep 18, 2007, 04:46 AM
Rumors seemed to be correct.
Maybe a bit later than expected...

Wonder when the German & French launch will come (and ofcourse for the rest of us Europeans ;))

My thoughts exactly. I live in Belgium where it is illegal to lock a phone to a network. I wonder what Apple is planning for us. Will there be unlocked iPhones for sale in the online store soon? :cool:

Tiauguinho
Sep 18, 2007, 04:46 AM
No 3G - check

nice going Apple... NOT

cookieme
Sep 18, 2007, 04:47 AM
APPLE STORE UK DOWN! I've been waiting a long time for the announcement of the iphone in Europe. However, the deal with O2 is puzzling me and I'm thinking about whether to pre-book or not! I'm on pay as you talk Vodafone at the moment and have been for three years. It's more expensive than the cheapest O2 deal of £35 per month and would allow me to actually check my email and surf on the go, although the 1400 page limit is not UNLIMITED usage!

codo
Agreed. 200mins and 200 texts for £35 is terrible... I'd rather have a data limit and be able to talk or text more.

Looks like I'll be keeping my current phone for a while :)

It's ridiculous. Look at the O2 simplicity tariff - 200 minutes and 400 texts for £15 a month. Compared to that, this iPhone tariff is absurd! http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simonly

iBlue
My thoughts exactly. I live in Belgium where it is illegal to lock a phone to a network. I wonder what Apple is planning for us. Will there be unlocked iPhones for sale in the online store soon? :cool:

don't be surprised if apple tries to change the law to accommodate its effing phone! :rolleyes:

wankers.

clownboy
Sep 18, 2007, 04:48 AM
To summarise:

£35 a month for basically a £15 a month tariff over 18 months equals £360 extra

Add £269 for the phone

Then add £300 to account for the FREE phone you would normally get with o2. eg w810i or similar

Apple/o2 are basically valueing the iPhone at £930

Ha ha

The European's wont buy this, not at that price.

jnc

Oh, I couldn't use data at all then? I still have a £170 monthly call and text allowance that until Oct 2008 though, and it's only costing me £20.

page3
Excellent tariffs - especially good value for WiFi and DATA (assuming 'fair use' is actually that.)

page3
Sep 18, 2007, 04:49 AM
To summarise:

£35 a month for basically a £15 a month tariff over 18 months equals £360 extra

Add £269 for the phone

Then add £300 to account for the FREE phone you would normally get with o2. eg w810i or similar

Apple/o2 are basically valueing the iPhone at £930

Ha ha

The European's wont buy this, not at that price.
Show me a £15/m tariff that includes unlimited WiFi and DATA, and free voicemail?

maehara
Sep 18, 2007, 04:50 AM
Apple has also created an agreement with Cloud to offer 7500 free WiFi spots in the UK.
According to Cloud's website, none of those hot-spots are in Northern Ireland, though, so that's a big black mark from me.

Surprised no-one seems to have asked about a PAYG option...

cal6n
So, I'll be unlocking a yank import then!

I predict they'll hook some punters with this, but not as many as they'd like.

tjcampbell
I think it's awesome! Unlimited data and access to 7000 wifi hot spots. That's very good coverage and pricing. Rock on! T :cool:

bentley
Sep 18, 2007, 04:51 AM
People! You're not going to be able to load 1,400 web pages a day if you live in the 70% of the country without EDGE.

You probably won't do it with EDGE either. We're a nation that expects 3G (c'mon it's only been around 5 or 6 years).

Mitch1984
Sep 18, 2007, 04:52 AM
Pathetic launch. Should have thought they would have learned by now NOT to use the EDGE network. Why can't I buy this phone and use it with what ever company I want to??? Damn, Apple!

I bet you'd moan though if it was 3G and needed charging twice a day.

cal6n
*snip* (assuming 'fair use' is actually that.)

Don't hold your breath. It rarely is over here...

codo
Show me a £15/m tariff that includes unlimited WiFi and DATA, and free voicemail?

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simonly

No data, but have you actually used The Cloud WiFi? To say it sucks, is an understatement. I found the connection kept dropping when in London, and the speed was literally a crawl. Free voicemail? How tight are you, it costs peanuts?

thecritix
Sep 18, 2007, 04:53 AM
apple are gonna regret rapin o2 so much, I'm not getting an iphone for £269 then £35 a month! for 200 minutes and texts.. wtf!

fair enough o2 are trying to make some money back.. but thats a joke

No thank you

andiwm2003
Sep 18, 2007, 04:54 AM
no 3g in uk? that means that the rest of europe also won't get 3g iphones. lame, no deal for me. bring a 16 gb iphone with 3g in europe and edge in US where i can switch sim cards or a good international roaming tariff then maybe i'm interested.

i almost hope the iphone flops in europe. this would force apple to become more competitive and make better offers. right now they think they will be successful no matter what crappy tarif's they offer.

mcguin2000
Sep 18, 2007, 04:56 AM
I'll be at the apple store on 9th November and gladly be switching from Orange to O2.

If you don't like the cost, don't buy it and shut up moaning!

whiteboytrash
Sep 18, 2007, 04:57 AM
Excellent tariffs - especially good value for WiFi and DATA (assuming 'fair use' is actually that.)

I agree. It’s a very good package. Everyone kraps on about £15 tariffs but it’s when you want use browsing or extra texts or roaming you get completely stiffed.... I currently pay £35 on Vodafone and never use up my 350 minutes but have to purchase a £25 extras pack for additional texts which don't cover texts sent outside the UK.... and don't mention roaming... if I go outside the country (which people do a lot when living in the UK) I get stiffed with calls rates and texts which are not included in the basic package...... so for a £55 tariff I often pay £225 per month ! – oh and I didn’t even mention voicemail… if someone leaves me a voicemail whilst I’m overseas this gets charged outside the tariff ! and when I listen to it same again ! also voicemail minutes are used for calls being left and retrieved on the basic tariff !...................... unlimited is a very good deal and free voicemail.

clownboy
I'll be at the apple store on 9th November and gladly be switching from Orange to O2.

If you don't like the cost, don't buy it and shut up moaning!

Face facts mate, Steve Jobs and o2 are raping you.

MagicBoy
O2 = Useless. Worst data network in the UK, and still no 3G. :rolleyes: They're damn expensive to boot - I can get unlimited data added to my T-mobile plan for £7.50.

I want a 3G iPhone with HSDPA on T-Mobile.

Steve are you listening?

page3
http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simonly

No data, but have you actually used The Cloud WiFi? To say it sucks, is an understatement. I found the connection kept dropping when in London, and the speed was literally a crawl. Free voicemail? How tight are you, it costs peanuts?
You jest - voicemail usually costs me £10 per month at 12p/min !!!

ma2ha3
Sep 18, 2007, 04:58 AM
very simple
buy from usa
unlock with software on the internet
use with your present network as a phone only
only surf internet when you are near free wifi
apple force us to do this
O2 will probably see all the iphone hack and higher management have to resign, like northern rock.

al3000
Sep 18, 2007, 04:58 AM
I'm torn... I don't mind the minutes on the £35 plan, but 200 texts... poor show.

page3
Sep 18, 2007, 05:00 AM
..I can get unlimited data added to my T-mobile plan for £7.50.
plus £10/m for WiFi roaming...

Maxiseller
Sep 18, 2007, 05:01 AM
I think Apple could have had a massive sustainable hit on their hands with iphone if:

They hadn't partnered with anybody

They kept the iphone expensive, but left it up to the user what network/options they wanted to go with.

Currently, they are ripping us off! I get free ringtones on my current phone - why on earth are apple charging to convert a ring tone? Why are they ripping off the networks to get a percentage of their monthly premium?

Everything is just pure greed, and they'll pay for it when people basically say "Woah, ripoff" - the tide will turn, and pretty soon, if you have an iphone you're that "Dumb guy who doesn't recognise value for money" Especially, that attitude will be in europe.

Imagine if they hadn't got greedy, the longevity of the iphone could have been massive. It's not THAT good of a product to rip people off this much. It's really hurt my belief in Apple's wanting to do the right thing for the consumer.

whiteboytrash
no 3g in uk? that means that the rest of europe also won't get 3g iphones. lame, no deal for me. bring a 16 gb iphone with 3g in europe and edge in US where i can switch sim cards or a good international roaming tariff then maybe i'm interested.

i almost hope the iphone flops in europe. this would force apple to become more competitive and make better offers. right now they think they will be successful no matter what crappy tarif's they offer.

Mate have you ever used 3G ? Its *****..... apple not the flop but 3G has been the biggest technology flop of the last 8 years........ remember when it was released it was going to change the world ? well it didn't..... the phones are bigger, they are power hogs and impossible to use... and to be honest who wants to do video calling ? huh ?

Wi-Fi is a very smart move.... I would always use Wi-Fi instead of 3G.... no telco company wants to invest any further in 3G because of the money they wasted on the government auctions for a steaming pile krap they bought it for....

TheChillPill
Surprised no-one seems to have asked about a PAYG option...

I was surprised that question wasn't asked during the event - without PAYG, iPhone won't be anywhere near as popular as it otherwise would be - especially with the cheapest tariff being £35.

I think people underestimate how many people *prefer* payg and use it through choice - not only because they can't get a contract for whatever reason.

That said, as activation is going to work the same was as in the US, I assume a PAYG option will have to be added to cover those that fail the credit check even though they've bought the box and opened it.

hob
Sep 18, 2007, 05:02 AM
Do I get this right? O2 are investing now in 5-year old technology (EDGE) and deploying it to at least 30% of their network for launch?

That's crazy talk.

I hope their stocks plummet.

mrrory
somebody please unlock that **************** and let me use t-mobile. It is easy to unlock. I did mine, just landed in the UK 3 hours ago, and am happily using a spare Virgin pay-as-you-go sim card in it.

Thanks iPhone Dev Team!

EVH
I wonder if you can use the iPhone on your own 02 tariff?

I'm not interested in the EDGE data (going to use wifi) so it would be good if I could pop in my own 02 sim and use a tariff that has decent call+sms limits.

Poor announcement.. I knew 02 would shaft the customers after :apple: made them pay 40%

page3
Sep 18, 2007, 05:03 AM
More to the point - anyone actually found a link to buy the iPhone on Apple's website????!

fastbite
Sep 18, 2007, 05:04 AM
I agree WI FI is the way to go, forget crappy power hog fat phones 3G. The deal with Cloud is great, at least if you're in London. But 1400 page limit is rather vague.

Philsy
Sep 18, 2007, 05:05 AM
It is easy to unlock. I did mine, just landed in the UK 3 hours ago, and am happily using a spare Virgin pay-as-you-go sim card in it.

Thanks iPhone Dev Team!

Do you mind telling what you paid for it? I wonder if you'll be able to hook up to the free Cloud wifi spots? :cool:

maehara
Sep 18, 2007, 05:05 AM
More to the point - anyone actually found a link to buy the iPhone on Apple's website????!
Doesn't go on sale until 9 November, remember?

Product page is there, though:
http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/

JW8725
Sep 18, 2007, 05:06 AM
I will now NOT be buying the iPhone after those pathetic costs. I urge people to boycott and not buy. Apple and O2 are ripping us big time.

Metzgermeister
Sep 18, 2007, 05:06 AM
Entering Europe with EDGE is not exactly the best move. Europe mostly uses UMTS by now. EDGE never realy made it here, actually the few EDGE networks are being converted to UMTS.
For Europe iPhone needs at least 3G but HSDPA would be a better idea. I would/will wait for an 3G/HSDPA update.

Philsy
Sep 18, 2007, 05:07 AM
BBC news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7000370.stm

page3
Sep 18, 2007, 05:08 AM
Doesn't go on sale until 9 November, remember?

Product page is there, though:
http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/I assumed I'd be able to pre-order. Oh well, should be plenty of stock on the day.

garybUK
Okay i don't know whty you people are complaining about O2's network, i get better coverage than i ever did on my Voda or Orange phone, the 3G works almost everywhere i travel to in the UK and even in Europe.

3G is pretty damn quick, it's faster than most hotel broadband connections, i 'Join a network on my phone' on the bluetooth menu on my MBP and i get a pretty quick connection on my laptop. Easily good enough for browsing the web and IM's and Email and even VPN.

Now Question: I am already a O2 customer, they are the cheapest for international calls. Can I not just buy a iPhone at the store and then pop in my O2 Sim card?????

My contract is up in October mind, but im happy with the phone number and plan.

maehara
Looks like no official PAYG option:
iPhone requires a new 18-month contract with O2. Existing O2 customers will have the option of keeping their existing phone number and upgrading their account to work with iPhone while new customers can also simply and easily transfer their current mobile number to O2.

Source: Apple's press release (http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/2007/09/180907_iphone.html).

MagicBoy
Sep 18, 2007, 05:09 AM
plus £10/m for WiFi roaming...

Wth unlimited 3G/HSDPA, who needs it?

sanford
I'd just like to know why the "training wheels for iPhone" iPod touch has the WiFi Music Store, obviously from the phone on display at the UK announcement the firmware is ready to go, but I'm still waiting in the States to get it for my iPhone.

It's probably they're trying to break anySIM with this update and that's holding up the overwhelming majority of stateside iPhone owners from getting features. Frankly I wish you yo-yos trying to figure out how to get an iPhone working on MetroPCS or Boost! Mobile would knock it off. It's only even one other carrier in the States you can use the iPhone with, their unlimited EDGE data plan costs twice as much than AT&T's, they don't even want you using iPhones on their stateside network, and you lose a lot of features dependent on AT&T service.

Knock it off, already. Take the deal or don't. Buy an iPod touch already, which gives you some of the features of iPhone over WiFi. But quit holding up the works because you won't pop 99 cents for a ringtone and you just have to use your iPhone with Tmobile, which as a long-time former Tmobile customer is no better or worse than AT&T.

I'd like my firmware update, please, instead of having to wait for features that are perfectly ready to go so Apple can break hacks for the iPhone.

blueskyrocket
After dating all of UK's available suitors before choosing their bride, that represents the best marriage Apple was able to come up with. Makes you wonder how many of the other suitors came back for a 2nd date.

Pete

Mitch1984
I'm torn... I don't mind the minutes on the £35 plan, but 200 texts... poor show.

What about the £45 one then, if you're spending at least £10 on data already then it's worth it isn't it.

page3
Sep 18, 2007, 05:10 AM
Wth unlimited 3G/HSDPA, who needs it?Me! Gave up with 3G - too slow.

zac4mac
Sep 18, 2007, 05:10 AM
"Face facts mate, Steve Jobs and o2 are raping you."

Good lord man, call a waaaaah-mbulance.
Old saying goes - You can't rape the willing.

I'm enjoying my iPhone, have since day one. EDGE is slow, but I'm getting "slow" service where before I had none. Wi-Fi is great, not as fast as my MBP, but fast. This phone is the most amazing thing I've ever put in my pocket.

I thought y'all over there would be elated to have the iPhone "officially" in your country. Sucks to be y'all I guess, better luck next time.

Z

witchdrash
Sep 18, 2007, 05:11 AM
Urghh that's the most shocking deal imaginable, I was expecting the bad tariffs, O2 don't have any good tariffs, but 269 for the handset too is seriously laughable.

Over 18 months
T-Mobile : Flext + Web & Walk with BB 8800g (yeah not best phone, but it's 2g) - 675 quid
16 Gig Touch : 269
Total - 944

O2 for a similar (45 pound one) with iPhone
Tariff - 810
8 Gig iPhone: 269
Total - 1079

Hmm let me think, touch, with more storage and a phone by the end of the month for less, or wait until november, get half the storage, on a crap network hmm let me think... Tough decision.

If you want to buy the iPhone go ahead, it's a shockingly bad deal though.

notsofatjames
Sep 18, 2007, 05:11 AM
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=5666EA9B&node=home/its_coming

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 05:14 AM
It is easy to unlock. I did mine, just landed in the UK 3 hours ago, and am happily using a spare Virgin pay-as-you-go sim card in it.

Thanks iPhone Dev Team!

Yeah gee thanks for holding up everyone else. You unlockers complain about how unfair the contracts and rates are but you happily use outrageously more expensive pay-as-you-go plans with your unlocked phone.

I am so looking looking forward to Apple locking the iPhone back up with the new firmware; seems fair, in exchange for holding he rest of us up, you can carry around your $400 paperweight for a few months until someone breaks the lock again.

witchdrash
Sep 18, 2007, 05:15 AM
"
I thought y'all over there would be elated to have the iPhone "officially" in your country. Sucks to be y'all I guess, better luck next time.

Z

Why when the iPhone is pretty crappy handset at a price that dwarfs every other handset you can get here in the UK except when you buy them sim free. I see no benefit in purchasing this handset, so I wont be, if they hadn't released the Touch I'd be tempted, but most people are used to carrying two devices, and, for a similar tariff prices almost every other phone you can get here is free. So no I'm not elated, I'm suprised anyone agreed to this deal, they will sell as a bit of a fashion thing, but you can get a much better deal by the end of next week by sticking with a seperate iPod and phone.

Edit: Had they subsidised the price of the iPhone and released on the higher tariffs for free, and on the lower tariffs for 50/60 then yes you would actually have a pretty good deal, it's the fact that the iPhone costs the same as the 16 gig iPod Touch, comes with half the storage, and you're stuck with O2, which, besides 3, is the worst network, and is definitely the worst for customer service, on some pretty poor tariffs, unless you use your phone primarily as a data device.

iBlue
I think Apple could have had a massive sustainable hit on their hands with iphone if:

They kept the iphone expensive, but left it up to the user what network/options they wanted to go with.

Currently, they are ripping us off! I get free ringtones on my current phone - why on earth are apple charging to convert a ring tone? Why are they ripping off the networks to get a percentage of their monthly premium?

Everything is just pure greed, and they'll pay for it when people basically say "Woah, ripoff" - the tide will turn, and pretty soon, if you have an iphone you're that "Dumb guy who doesn't recognise value for money" Especially, that attitude will be in europe.

Imagine if they hadn't got greedy, the longevity of the iphone could have been massive. It's not THAT good of a product to rip people off this much. It's really hurt my belief in Apple's wanting to do the right thing for the consumer.

Quoted For Truth!

This settled my decision. I am not buying Apple's newest rip-off until they've sorted out a lot of other details first.

BoyBach
I hope their stocks plummet.

They (O2) were delisted when Telefonica S.A. bought them, so there is no stock to plummet!

koobcamuk

I pay £15 a month with vodafone.
- Free Voicemail
- 500 min
- 500 texts
- 2MB per day data allowance

I am not buying an iPhone. Ever.

hd1080ts
Sep 18, 2007, 05:16 AM
No sale

Calling 3G a power hog on one hand and promoting WiFi on the other.

Both kill your battery.

Free Iphone charging points at every hotspot?

dave76
Sep 18, 2007, 05:16 AM
Just on the 1400 pages a day question. Vodafone reckon that a standard web page is about 0.1MB ( http://tinyurl.com/2q2rf2 ), so 1,400 = 140MB per day, or just over 4GB per month. Seems reasonable to me.

m4rc
Sep 18, 2007, 05:17 AM
Firstly to all those saying Apple should listen and put make it available on other netwroks, they won't, they are making a killing on the contracts according to the media reports, O2 were the only ones willing to sign at those levels.

To all those saying you won't buy it, Apple don't care. They will sell a lot of iPhones and make a good return, later they will bring out a new version that you may or may not buy, either way again they will make a lot of money on it.

For those saying all other phones in the UK are free, thats not true. When they first launch you pay a very high price for a decent phone even on the biggest tariffs, then the prices come down over the months until they can't give the things away.

3G is of not all its cracked up to be, if you use it you will know, and the phones are big and bulky.

As for moaning about O2's network and coverage, I always have 2 phones and on 2 networks at any one time, and over the last few years have tried them all. Personally I find O2 to be the best, I wouldn't use T-Mobile again if they were the only network available, Orange I had a lot of trouble with and at the time Voda were just expensive. Everyone will have different experiences with each network of course, but O2 is certainly not bad.

The pricing is not great, but any provider who had the iPhone would have priced at the same levels as Apple want some of the money!

Bottom line, Apple don't care if you don't like it, others do and will buy it and as a business althought their fan club is important making money is more important, if that means the product has to cut a few corners to maximise income then thats what they will do, as they always have done.

Personally I will wait for version 2 or 3 of the iPhone, it won't be long before they start talking about the next models and I really have no need for all the toys it can give me at the moment :)

Also, am I right in thinking that in the US you could buy an iPhone and activate it but then cancel the agreement within 30 days and it would all work still? Or is that just al features except the phone? Wondered if you could do that and put another O2 sim in it....

Mitch1984
Sep 18, 2007, 05:18 AM
Me! Gave up with 3G - too slow.

Yeah to be honest my 3G is pretty slow too.

koobcamuk
Sep 18, 2007, 05:18 AM
I agree. It’s a very good package. Everyone kraps on about £15 tariffs but it’s when you want use browsing or extra texts or roaming you get completely stiffed.... I currently pay £35 on Vodafone and never use up my 350 minutes but have to purchase a £25 extras pack for additional texts which don't cover texts sent outside the UK.... and don't mention roaming... if I go outside the country (which people do a lot when living in the UK) I get stiffed with calls rates and texts which are not included in the basic package...... so for a £55 tariff I often pay £225 per month ! – oh and I didn’t even mention voicemail… if someone leaves me a voicemail whilst I’m overseas this gets charged outside the tariff ! and when I listen to it same again ! also voicemail minutes are used for calls being left and retrieved on the basic tariff !...................... unlimited is a very good deal and free voicemail.

That's no correct.
Vodafone do 75p + UK rate when abroad in most popular destinations. I pay £15 a month ^ view up there ^

You should join vodafone - and talk to someone about a tariff. You're bringing all that on yourself.

I bet you'd moan though if it was 3G and needed charging twice a day.

Why would it need charging twice a day? No 3G phone needs that. Seriously, c'mon.

jimsmac
Sep 18, 2007, 05:19 AM
Looks to me like the dark blue is the 'high speed' coverage. Is this EDGE?

sweetandsour
Sep 18, 2007, 05:19 AM
These tarriffs are pants

Tariffs are very overpriced, terrible Edge coverage, O2 are disorganised.

Sales through Carphone Warehouse stores? with "experts" in store?
Those shops appears to be staffed by people who are unable to get jobs as estate agents....

I'm not buying.

koobcamuk
Sep 18, 2007, 05:20 AM
You jest - voicemail usually costs me £10 per month at 12p/min !!!

:eek:

Dude, join a different network. How about voicemail minutes that a inclusive?

What are you anyway? £10 a month? I get the odd voicemail from my mum every now and then...

tcgjeukens
Sep 18, 2007, 05:22 AM
Divide and conquer as entrance strategy to Europe?
Steve is certainly pushing Apple-lovers over the EDGE with this deal.
It Mr. Jobs getting greedy and forgetting his audience?

Certainly the deal with O2 (and other European providers to come) will be good for the financials of Apple Inc, but without a value proposition to customers this strategy may backfire.
- No 3G
- Double dipping subscription fees
- Many alternatives (though not as sleek in design)
- What about usability when we travel accross the Federal Republic of Europe?

Is this our Christmas deal.

This time I will pass :mad:

Coen

Compile 'em all
Sep 18, 2007, 05:22 AM
Yeah gee thanks for holding up everyone else. You unlockers complain about how unfair the contracts and rates are but you happily use outrageously more expensive pay-as-you-go plans with your unlocked phone.

Not everyone cares about data-on-the-go. I have never used nor paid for data over the carrier network and don't see the need to do so now. Pretty much all places I go to have wifi, so for my purposes using an unlocked iPhone with my current contract is optimal.

MrT8064
Sep 18, 2007, 05:23 AM
why is the apple store closed untill 4pm? those black curtains? empty tables?

koobcamuk
Sep 18, 2007, 05:23 AM

Nicely said.

Jobs saying that he wanted to partner with the best in the UK - O2???

I think you mean, wanted to rape someone as hard as possible. In the end... us.

hob
Sep 18, 2007, 05:26 AM
They (O2) were delisted when Telefonica S.A. bought them, so there is no stock to plummet!

So THAT'S why they did the deal ;)

steviem
Ok, so say you have a relative currently on holiday in Florida, and say I order an iPhone and it gets sent to them in the next 24hours, how much would it cost do you think? Whats the tax in florida?

PYR0M310N
These price plans are rediculous.

I get the same middle range plan (600mins and 500 texts) for £7.50/month on O2. Getting the iPhone works out at costing more than 10 times as much.

I know its good but its not 10 times better than having an iPod and a seperate phone.

Also i would still have about the same data plan. Basically nothing as EDGE is pretty much worthless. I can see where apple is coming from there thouh with concerns about the battery life if that was installed, but they won't sell anywhere here as they have in the US as a cause, but once they add 3G it will be fine and they will go like hot cakes.

dazzer21
Sep 18, 2007, 05:27 AM
So - can I buy an iPhone, get it unlocked, put in my existing Virgin Mobile SIM card and still have 300 minutes and 300 texts for £10 a month like I do at the moment?

millypede
Tariffs are very overpriced, terrible Edge coverage, O2 are disorganised.

Sales through Carphone Warehouse stores? with "experts" in store?
Those shops appears to be staffed by people who are unable to get jobs as estate agents....

I'm not buying.

I know a joke, im sure as hell not buying from there.

page3
:eek:

Dude, join a different network. How about voicemail minutes that a inclusive?

What are you anyway? £10 a month? I get the odd voicemail from my mum every now and then...
Agree - I have been waiting too... ONCE the iPhone was announced so I could decide if it was cost effective or not. Now I find it IS, they've got my custom.

koobcamuk
Sep 18, 2007, 05:28 AM

Z

I think w'all (we all) can say that this tariff is backwards. 3 offer unlimited data and at a much better rate. Unlock the iphone people. Do not go with O2.

I just won't be buying one anyway.

I am so looking looking forward to Apple locking the iPhone back up with the new firmware; seems fair, in exchange for holding he rest of us up, you can carry around your $400 paperweight for a few months until someone breaks the lock again.

xxx

Mitch1984
Sep 18, 2007, 05:29 AM
Why would it need charging twice a day? No 3G phone needs that. Seriously, c'mon.

A 3G phone with a massive touch screen like the iPhone might.

joseph2166
Sep 18, 2007, 05:32 AM
One thing many people seem to have forgotten is that this is an iPod - personally for me (who wants to get a nano-type ipod soon anyway) this is the clincher - both not having to take around two devices, and having the ipod included in the (admittedly high) price.

My only reservation is the 18 month contract - and the less than excellent EDGE coverage. On the flip-side the free wi-fi is good partial compensation.

Porco
Sep 18, 2007, 05:34 AM
Hey Apple, 1 lost sale here. Shame.

Unlocked, 3G and no ringtone-crippling and you could have charged me twice as much for the device.

Maybe iPhone 2 will win me over.

CarlisleUnited
Samsung F700 is looking more and more attractive, yes its a lil bigger than the iphone but my god does it have better features!

aswitcher
why is the apple store closed untill 4pm? those black curtains? empty tables?

Steve showing off the iPhone in the flesh to a few UK execs etc

MagicBoy
Me! Gave up with 3G - too slow.

I happily used it on T-Mob for 3 months when I moved and was waiting for BT to get off their proverbials and connect me up. No problems whatsoever and 384K was fine for general use.

aperfecto
I have to say that I am a little disappointed that there is no 3g BUT I wanted to add my $0.02 on the issue.

I have a physics degree and recently (within the last 6 months) completed a project detailing the new antenna designs that are currently being developed using a new class of materials called "metamaterials". I am sure many of you will have heard of them.

If I was advising Mr Jobs I would have told him to skip 3G. The speeds are not that much better considering the trade in power to use them. You also need to consider what is around the corner, 4G and 5G etc. are far superior. They are WAY more efficient! There is plenty of research out there to read (esp. an MIT report and loads of research at Toyota labs.)

codo
Sep 18, 2007, 05:35 AM
Agree - I have been waiting too... ONCE the iPhone was announced so I could decide if it was cost effective or not. Now I find it IS, they've got my custom.

From one "jest" to another. You must have unusual circumstances, as I for one would think most people who consider this deal to be cost effective or value for money in any sense of the phase to be a complete mug.

iBlue
then they should try harder. it's not as though they aren't up for the task of creating what looks impossible possible.

besides, they could always offer a spare battery, oh but wait, you can't swap batteries. :rolleyes:

they're just such arrogant weenies about everything and I for one am getting sick of it.

Schtumple
For now, £35 a month is a rip off, no deal, and I had my heart set on getting one, good work O2, great way to drop the ball....

Cloudane
Sep 18, 2007, 05:36 AM
No deal for me. Sticking with a Touch and an N73 with 3G and an unlimited data plan for a lot less per month.

Exactly the same here (n73, and Touch on its way... eventually!)

Sep 18, 2007, 05:36 AM
Why is everyone so shocked? This was predicted months ago and all they did was make it official. Why did everyone hope 3G was going to appear? Apple have been constantly saying that it isn't feasible.

Geez, some people get carried away

ElectricHermit
Sep 18, 2007, 05:37 AM
The contracts might seem a bit pricey, but 'do the math':
Previous plan "O2 25" - 200 minutes & texts - £25 for 18 months
Single-device Wi-Fi from The Cloud - £6.99
So the premium for the iPhone data plan & visual voicemail (up from the old plan's 100KB/month) is... £3.

Previous plan "O2 35" - 600 minutes & 500 texts - £35 for 18 months
Premium for data plan (up from the old plan's 512KB/month) = £3.

Previous plan "O2 50" - 1200 minutes & 500 texts - £45 for 18 months
Premium for data plan (up from the old plan's 512KB/month) = £3.

The only major premium is the iPhone itself. And if you' don't want it, don't buy it!

Matteh117
Sep 18, 2007, 05:39 AM
At first, I was like "**** YES!!!" but now, it seems so crap.

I think when it comes closer to launch day, UK will realise that Apple is trying to rip us off. Will be nowhere near as popular as in the US. Sure, free internet anywhere - oh that's right, it's not everywhere. If you're lucky to get a free wi-fi spot or be in the 30% of UK. And you're still LIMITED. How can they call it unlimited if it's not? Argh.

Good fight Apple. You lost the UK iPhone to the iPod touch.

Ps. 3G and camera, etc don't bother me. Don't like it then don't buy it? Fine by me.

sgd88
Sep 18, 2007, 05:40 AM
The deal is quite disappointing I think most people agree.

It seems a shame for a good device to be let down by the way it is marketed. Compared to the phone minutes and texts are not expensive for O2 to provide. They could win over many more customers with decent allocations of minutes and texts.

I live in the UK and am currently with O2. I am on a one month no phone contract. I pay £35 a month for 3000 minutes (anytime) and 3000 texts plus a 1 MB download allowance. The contract can be cancelled within 30 days (nice). The offer was withdrawn by O2 (it is not on the website anymore) but I am still on it. According to O2 all contracts get unlimited data from the 1st of October... so I look forward to that.

There is no way that I am going to switch to a 18 month contract for the same price and get 200 mins and 200 texts and unlimited data. Plus the price of a £269 iPhone. It just doesn't make sense. I hope that hardly anyone buys this phone... and then in 6 months a better version of the iPhone with about 10 x the monthly allowances for minutes and texts will maybe interest me.

As for the guy in Belgium.. I doubt you will ever get the iPhone.

koobcamuk

No it wouldn't. It just wouldn't. You can also turn off 3G like you can Wifi with most phones.

Just shouldn't be.

dalvin200
For now, £35 a month is a rip off, no deal, and I had my heart set on getting one, good work O2, great way to drop the ball....

my sentiments EXACTLY!!

i'm hoping now to buy the iphone and get it unlocked..

does anyone know if 3 (three.co.uk) sim's work in the iphone?

btaussie
Sep 18, 2007, 05:41 AM
Sigh. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Australia waits till next year and perhaps gets a 16GB 3G iPhone (dreaming..), put in a better camera (3.2 mp), add 3rd party support and for GOD'S SAKE will the bloody government make up their minds with the future of the internet in Australia! It's driving me up the wall! Feels like a 3rd world country when you compare internet speeds peoples!

iPod touch is a coming!

As for the service provider: Telstra (if the NextG network is compatible and with proper pricing plans) or 3. Unlimited Data Plans is needed.

Cheers.

memesmith
Sep 18, 2007, 05:42 AM
Well I'm buying one....

xSOTYx
Sep 18, 2007, 05:43 AM
Even though the tariff's are a little slim on the minutes and texts, Im still deffinatley going to be picking one up as soon as possible. As with many other UK people ive been looking forward to this for a while. And plus the prices of the contract may change over time?

EDIT: No pre-orders?

persianpunisher
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

so no firmware update then eh?

JobsRules
Look, I've just played with the US iPhone. It's utterly amazing in look and feel. Sure, an N95 'does more' but it feels a decade behind the iPhone in usability.

The 7000 free hotspots deal is fantastic. For web use you want WIFI. 3G modems on laptops aren't that great - nowhere near a half-decent WIFI.

If the iPhone was loaded with strong or enterprise-level PDA apps it'd be the best PDA around.

AS thing stands it'll delight gadget lovers but isn't a mainstream proposition yet. Does that matter? The iPod didn't go truly mainstream until the third generation.

Don't like it, don't buy it.

joseph2166
From one "jest" to another. You must have unusual circumstances, as I for one would think most people who consider this deal to be cost effective or value for money in any sense of the phase to be a complete mug.

For me I reckon it will cost me £20 a more per month + the phone price, which I find quite reasonable considering the unlimited data (yes even EDGE data!) and the wi-fi. However that's coming from a Londoner - with better access to both facilities than elsewhere.

As for the price of the phone itself similarly I think its quite reasonable - considering its an iPod, considering its a apple product, and considering its being sold in Europe (where prices are always higher people - stop complaining!)

Yes you could wait for price drops or improvements (they could be 'just around the corner') - but that'ss the nature of the technology game people!

gnasher729
Sep 18, 2007, 05:44 AM
I think w'all (we all) can say that this tariff is backwards. 3 offer unlimited data and at a much better rate. Unlock the iphone people. Do not go with O2.

3's definition of "unlimited data" is a bit different.

emotion
Sep 18, 2007, 05:45 AM
The 30% coverage for EDGE is pretty much the killer here. If that is the case on launch then why would I buy that over a Touch?

I really wanted an iPhone but I'm unlikely to go with that deal.

Well done Apple.

doug.hall
Sep 18, 2007, 05:45 AM
That is rubbish. £35 for 200 texts, minutes and data. T-mobile offer 1000 mins for £35 and if you include the web and walk max (about £12) you get unlimited data not only for your phone but also your laptop. That is still much better than the £55 O2 tarrif. This is very dissapointing and a non starter for me. In fact it is a step backwards. I can't see this being as big in the UK as the US until 3G or more competative tarrifs (especailly as the phone is not subsidised).

psycho bob
Sep 18, 2007, 05:50 AM
I haven't commented on iPhone at all and when I heard it was going on O2 for me it was all over. Forget comparing the price plans to others offered by O2 compared to T-Mobile who I went with they are completely uncompetitive. Only people who will by this phone at that price are those that want to show it off and I say that as a huge Apple fan (two touches ordered and a new nano for starters).

For around £40 I can get a T-Mobile Flext plan with £180 worth of allowance and unlimited data over 3G. Couple it with an MDA Vario and you have all the essential features plus more, the only downside being you run Windows mobile but it has always worked fine for me. This is a phone after all, used to make calls and text first and foremost.

The iPod and iTunes worked because they fit in with the lifestyle as well as excelling at the purpose they were designed for. The iPhone is very good at it's job but when you consider Apple have led the way with BT, USB and firewire integration in computers why release a phone that technology wise is outdated especially for Europe. With these price plans it isn't even competitive to just use as a phone.

Only way I will get one is to unlock and stick on T-Mobile but right now I'm thinking what really is the point? No 3G and you lose things like visual voicemail which aren't supported. Today's announcement sucks. Too much hype and sadly most people expected just this to happen in the UK.

codo
Sep 18, 2007, 05:52 AM
For me I reckon it will cost me £20 a more per month + the phone price, which I find quite reasonable considering the unlimited data (yes even EDGE data!) and the wi-fi. However that's coming from a Londoner - with better access to both facilities than elsewhere.

As for the price of the phone itself similarly I think its quite reasonable - considering its an iPod, considering its a apple product, and considering its being sold in Europe (where prices are always higher people - stop complaining!)

Yes you could wait for price drops or improvements (they could be 'just around the corner') - but that'ss the nature of the technology game people!

I was not even referring to the cost of the actual phone - I think the price of the device is justifiable, absolutely. I, however, can not agree that the package O2 are touting represents anything other than a rip off considering the following;

- The O2 EDGE network sucks. Pure and simple. It's slow, and patchy.
- My experience with The Cloud has not been pleasant. Crawling speeds and constant dropping of the connection. No thanks.
- The minutes and and texts are EXTREMELY poor for the price band. Extremely poor.
- The "Unlimited" data plan is in in fact just the opposite. 14000 pages per day. That's great, but don't be thinking you can browse YouTube for long, or download/upload large documents to your office. Again a total fabrication, and a rip off in my opinion.

I don't consider it a good deal, or value for money. Again may I stress, my problem is not with the iPhone, I think it's an amazing device. I am less than impressed, as you may have gathered, with the contract however.

jonatron
Sep 18, 2007, 05:52 AM
How is this expensive?

I tried to get an n95 when it was released in the uk and o2 and other companies were going to make me pay 200 pounds for the phone on a £35 a month tarriff. 500 mins and 200 texts. NO DATA.

Whats the difference?
Barely any!

People are forgetting that the n95 is an old phone now. Just because it has 3g it does not mean its the most cutting edge device. The 3g is its major downfall in my opinion - The guy who sits next to me at work has one and the battery lasts 24 hours. What a joke!

Zygon Gambit
Sep 18, 2007, 05:53 AM
Way too much money for what you get. I like the phone, but the deal here isn't good enough.

thefunkymunky
Is the iPhone able to send MMS messages yet?

mrowl
this thread is duplicating the US announcement last january...

funny stuff.

IT HAS WIFI!!!

iWizzard
Sep 18, 2007, 05:54 AM
Yeah to be honest my 3G is pretty slow too.

It depend on where you live, in the larger cites here in Sweden you now can get 7,2Mbit/s. (€21.464/month -unlimited data only)

3G in the countryside only give you 0.384Mbits (€10.67/month -unlimited data only)

in countryside you can get 2,5Mbit (not 3g but some competing technique )
- I think this is meant for laptops and needs a special modem.

It shuld be the same in all countries that the larger cities get faster data transfer first.

psycho bob
Sep 18, 2007, 05:54 AM
Oh and before people start saying T-Mobile have poor signal reception across the UK I'd like to point out I and my friends have never had any issues. For me Apple just took the easiest option which would give them the most money. If it sells under O2 they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Project
Sep 18, 2007, 05:55 AM
I was not even referring to the cost of the actual phone - I think the price of the device is justifiable, absolutely. I, however, can not agree that the package O2 are touting represents anything other than a rip off considering the following;

- The O2 EDGE network sucks. Pure and simple. It's slow, and patchy.
- My experience with The Cloud has not been pleasant. Crawling speeds and constant dropping of the connection. No thanks.
- The minutes and and texts are EXTREMELY poor for the price band. Extremely poor.
- The "Unlimited" data plan is in in fact just the opposite. 14000 pages per day. That's great, but don't be thinking you can browse YouTube for long, or download/upload large documents to your office. Again a total fabrication, and a rip off in my opinion.

I don't consider it a good deal, or value for money. Again may I stress, my problem is not with the iPhone, I think it's an amazing device. I am less than impressed, as you may have gathered, with the contract however.

WiFi store has nothing to do with the unlimited data package. Its Wifi.

Philgr
My current deal with O2 is 500mins 500 txt's after loyality discount is £15 pm

I live in an area where 3g with o2 is a joke,

I already have free BT wireless access included in my current Internet package

I think i will buy a Touch instead

OR

is it poss to get one sent over from USA, im hearing people already have them over here unlocked and working on 02 or vodaphone, i could just swap my o2 sim.

page3
From one "jest" to another. You must have unusual circumstances, as I for one would think most people who consider this deal to be cost effective or value for money in any sense of the phase to be a complete mug.My circumstances seem fairly normal to me ;)

Moderate voice - 200 mins is fine.
Moderate texts - 200 is fine.
Unlimited data - essential.

Too much moaning on here if you ask me (you didn't??? !). If you don't like the tariff, get an iPod Touch and a phone. I priced up exactly that - based on a 8Gb Touch and Blackberry on T-mobile and it came to a similar price to that of the iPhone.

moki
Look, I've just played with the US iPhone. It's utterly amazing in look and feel. Sure, an N95 'does more' but it feels a decade behind the iPhone in usability.

I certainly agree with you that the iPhone is the most usable phone on the market... however, I think Apple blew it with this UK intro.

Even in the USA, the lack of 3G is not a good thing... in the UK, it's silly, as is the 30% coverage for EDGE, as is the price, as is suggesting that people use wireless networks instead. I mean c'mon.

3G network licensees *need* a product like the iPhone, because in markets the world over, 3G networks are largely under-utilized. The iPhone is just the type of device that could change this situation, and yet... no 3G. It's really unfortunate, because the iPhone is one of the few devices I've seen (and I've seen many in Europe and Asia, as well as in the USA) that would make the average person actually want to exploit a 3G data network for the type of bandwidth usage that it's good for.

I am actually hoping the iPhone sells poorly in the UK. For all of its virtues, the iPhone is becoming a bit of hubris from Apple, IMHO. It's too bad, too, because the UI and feature-set software-wise is absolutely fantastic.

The iPhone is truly more than the sum of the technological bullet points, using one will make you a believer... but Apple needs to up the hardware ante, plain and simple.

firestarter
Sep 18, 2007, 05:57 AM

funny stuff.

IT HAS WIFI!!!

Yes, but WiFi doesn't have anywhere near the coverage in the UK that it does in the States.

Here we have near ubiquotous 3G coverage.

So there's no comparison.

psycho bob
Sep 18, 2007, 05:57 AM
IT HAS WIFI!!!

WIFI in the UK is not as wide spread even in cities. There are a lot of private hotspots that require fees to be paid but nowhere near the same free coverage you often get in major US cities. I'm less upset about lack of 3G and more put off by the woeful price plans.

alexeismertin
Sep 18, 2007, 05:58 AM
my sentiments EXACTLY!!

does anyone know if 3 (three.co.uk) sim's work in the iphone?

LOL

That is the funniest thing I have read all day!!

Philsy
Sep 18, 2007, 05:58 AM
Is the iPhone able to send MMS messages yet?

No, something else that will put people off (and, no, email doesn't do the same thing)

Dagless
Sep 18, 2007, 05:59 AM
That is seriously better than I imagined!

I'll be getting myself an iPhone :) unlimited data is exactly what I was after! Sure they could have given us more than 200 minutes for £35.

page3
Sep 18, 2007, 06:02 AM
No, something else [MMS] that will put people off (and, no, email doesn't do the same thing)Not in my circle of friends - no-one we know has ever sent an MMS!

codo
Sep 18, 2007, 06:03 AM
Not in my circle of friends - no-one we know has ever sent an MMS!

How do you send photos to each other? Email? Not all phones support it.

I certainly use MMS with my friends.

koobcamuk
Sep 18, 2007, 06:04 AM
Not in my circle of friends - no-one we know has ever sent an MMS!

Lots of teenagers do. They're the people that lap up this stuff. PAYG would sell like hotcakes. I don't care anymore. I'll just watch the negative votes increase and keep reading about how people are annoyed with the poor tariff, which is what it comes down to...

Philsy
Sep 18, 2007, 06:05 AM

MMS is very popular and the lack of it will put off a lot of people. It's not only the fact the iPhone won't send MMS but, more seriously, it won't receive them - so not much use when someone sends you a photo :confused:

jhenry
Sep 18, 2007, 06:05 AM
The thing that everybody seems to be missing on this thread (admittedly from skim-reading it) is that the Unlimited Data is now on EVERY CONTRACT on O2, or will be soon... So basically you are paying more for the special 'iPhone' contract with less minutes and texts... If you look on 02's website you can get better deals for less money... and yes, while most of them are sim only don't forget you are buying the iPhone itself so the £35 a month deal is very comparable.

Project
Sep 18, 2007, 06:06 AM

Facebook killed MMS photo sharing for every single one of my friends.

In fact, Facebook killed SMS too. I use to send around 600 a month. Now its about 100-150. Text conversations are conducted on FB now.

emotion
Sep 18, 2007, 06:06 AM
Here we have near ubiquotous 3G coverage.

It's ver far from ubiquitous. The dark blue is 3G:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/1380530641_375848e896_o.png

yogamonkey
Sep 18, 2007, 06:07 AM
So - can I buy an iPhone, get it unlocked, put in my existing Virgin Mobile SIM card and still have 300 minutes and 300 texts for £10 a month like I do at the moment?

Yes! Virgin works perfectly on my unlocked iPhone.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1082/1359760685_4ad0989548_m.jpg

felixkunze
Sep 18, 2007, 06:08 AM
I am popping by Regent Street Apple Store this evening. Anyone know if they will have iPhones on display? I'm in the UK so haven't had a chance to play with one yet. I heard they are keeping the store open longer so I'd think they are showing them off already? Does anyone have any inside skinny? I can't see why they are staying closed till 4pm other than that they've set up all the iPhones for the media (which my brother - who just walked past there - confirmed) and will be taking them down again before 4pm and won't show them until release day.

I don't know what would be more torturous, having them on display but unable to be bought, or displaying them only for the media and locking them up till the 9th of November (which suddenly seems like a lifetime away).

Philsy
Sep 18, 2007, 06:09 AM

In fact, Facebook killed SMS too. I use to send around 600 a month. Now its about 100-150. Text conversations are conducted on FB now.

I can't see the connection. SMS allows you to send a message to someone's phone, and they know instantly the message has arrived. They can then respond there and then. Same with MMS.

Facebook relies on you being at your computer and logged onto Facebook. Not as useful at all.

page3
Sep 18, 2007, 06:10 AM
Lots of teenagers do. They're the people that lap up this stuff. PAYG would sell like hotcakes. I don't care anymore. I'll just watch the negative votes increase and keep reading about how people are annoyed with the poor tariff, which is what it comes down to...
Ah, mobiles hadn't been invented when I was a teen :eek:

I think that's why we have two very distinct opinions on here - to my age group unlimited data is essential (email, web...), voice and texts far less so. MMS worthless.

firestarter
It's ver far from ubiquitous. The dark blue is 3G:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/1380530641_375848e896_o.png

Do you have a wifi map?

Props for spelling ubiquitous correctly. My spelling is rubbish! :)

Philsy
Ah, mobiles hadn't been invented when I was a teen :eek:

I think that's why we have two very distinct opinions on here - to my age group unlimited data is essential (email, web...), voice and texts far less so. MMS worthless.

Hey, I'm old and use MMS! :cool:

hmljcr
Sep 18, 2007, 06:11 AM
Firstly, I'm in the UK, live in London, and I've had an iPhone working on O2 since it could be unlocked. Some thoughts...

£270? UK users are getting ripped off again.

The contract prices are a joke. I'm currently with O2, and on a cashback plan, pay £3.35 a month (12 month contract) for 400 minutes/200 texts - even better deals are available now, such as £0 ! a month for 800 minutes/500 texts. Who in their right mind would sign up to one of the rip-off O2 packages, when "unlimited" data seems to be very limited indeed - 1400 pages - what??

This is typical rip-off Britain, and I know plenty of Apple fanboys will sign up and buy this phone anyway. But if they had any sense, they'd buy a phone in the USA, unlock it, and find a better deal with another provider. If rumours of what O2 had to pay for the iPhone deal are true, it's clear they're passing the cost on to their consumers.

As for who has the best coverage between O2/Vodaphone/T-Mobile etc, this is a pretty moot argument. Across the UK, this varies massively. e.g. In Oxford, O2 and Vodaphone are great, in Winchester, Orange is great (and you can barely get O2 coverage), and in London, various networks suck in different areas. I think the main point to be made is that T-Mobile offer the fantastic web-n-walk package at only £7.50

Project
Sep 18, 2007, 06:11 AM
I can't see the connection. SMS allows you to send a message to someone's phone, and they know instantly the message has arrived. They can then respond there and then. Same with MMS.

Facebook relies on you being at your computer and logged onto Facebook. Not as useful at all.

My point is that text conversations with my friends that were non urgent would be via SMS. Now those are on Facebook. You know the "how are you" "lets go out next week" kind of texts. I basically use SMS now just for stuff that has to be immediately seen. "im in the club by the bar" kind of thing.

alexeismertin
Sep 18, 2007, 06:12 AM
The offshoot of this announcement is of course you get to go to a free party.

Either the ones held by Vodafone/Orange/T-Mobile celebrating a near miss or the ones by Nokia/Motorola/Samsung/Sony Ericsson who can sleep tonight knowing the iphone isn't going to even slightly dent their business.

Just follow the hysterical laughter.

emotion
Sep 18, 2007, 06:13 AM
Do you have a wifi map?

Props for spelling ubiquitous correctly. My spelling is rubbish! :)

:)

I don't have info for wifi. Most city centres have it. That is also where the EDGE and 3G is focussed.

koobcamuk
Sep 18, 2007, 06:14 AM

Can't compare... unless you facebook on your phone... in which case 3G is nicer :)

koobcamuk
Sep 18, 2007, 06:16 AM
The offshoot of this announcement is of course you get to go to a free party.

Either the ones held by Vodafone/Orange/T-Mobile celebrating a near miss or the ones by Nokia/Motorola/Samsung/Sony Ericsson who can sleep tonight knowing the iphone isn't going to even slightly dent their business.

Just follow the hysterical laughter.

Haha. nice one.

Sorry for double post.

:)

I don't have info for wifi. Most city centres have it. That is also where the EDGE and 3G is focussed.

When you say they have it, I have found that it's only usually near coffee shops and places where you'd sit down (i.e. with a laptop). I haven't walked through town and seen many wireless hotspots just randomly in the centre... and they aren't free. Tmobile seem to have largest coverage. I use my BTOpenzone minutes anyway... so I' really not bothered about this phone now.

"Reinvented getting ripped off" more like.

iLionel
Sep 18, 2007, 06:17 AM
For the record Web'n'Walk is capped at 1GB per month, stop whining.

Project
Sep 18, 2007, 06:18 AM
Can't compare... unless you facebook on your phone... in which case 3G is nicer :)

I just did compare. The effect Facebook has had on SMS and MMS usage by my network of friends is very real. Why MMS a picture on holiday when I can email it to Facebook for 200 people to see... for free?

And the iPhone Facebook site is beautiful. Will come in handy with the data plan on the iPhone with free email notifications of when I have a new Message/Wall post/photo comment etc.

MMS is dead to me.

Stig McNasty
Sep 18, 2007, 06:18 AM
How I waited for the iphone... I need a new phone, was happy to change to O2 even. BUT £269 = $540 WHHHAAATTTTTT??? Even for Apple that really is a rip off. $141 more in the UK than the USA. Strewth. Bring on the grey imports.

felixkunze
Sep 18, 2007, 06:19 AM
Firstly, I'm in the UK, live in London, and I've had an iPhone working on O2 since it could be unlocked.

HMLJCR - So you live in the UK with an unlocked iPhone on O2. Do you have visual voicemail and is that the only feature that's different after unlock? I'd be interested in unlocking one on a cheaper contract and I guess if its on O2 anyway you should be able to access all features, just on a cheaper contract.

Also, does anyone know if the UK iPhone will have anything physically different from the US one? US prices still beat UK's. IE if I buy an iPhone in NYC, bring it back, can I just activate it on O2?

So many questions...

Glenny2lappies
Sure they could have given us more than 200 minutes for £35.

And what about the price when going OVER the pathetic 200 minutes? 20p/minute? My current plan is 5p/minute when out of plan.
And the price for texts?
And roaming in Europe prices voice & text?

Greed. Pure and simple.

Once the fanbois and Flash Harrys have bought the phone, sales will plummet with plan prices like that.

I thought I was going to move over to an iPony. My head is screaming at my heart so much that I doubt that I'll bother.

Orge
Whilst the lack of 3G support is disappointing, at least the handset price is lower than I was expecting. I was certain that they would be trying for an entry price of £300-350. As it stands, at least it's comparable to the current US prices once you take into account VAT etc...

I imagine that these will be unlocked by Christmas, but without 3G support who are you going to use? On the plus side, unlocking them for other tarrifs means that you can get a better deal and flog your contract phone on ebay to subsidise the handset cost... This is a major hole in their plan, once the unlocking war is won - and there's only one winner in that one. Personally, I'm waiting for this and 3G on rev 2.

J

Philsy
Sep 18, 2007, 06:20 AM
I just did compare. The effect Facebook has had on SMS and MMS usage by my network of friends is very real. Why MMS a picture on holiday when I can email it to Facebook for 200 people to see... for free?

And the iPhone Facebook site is beautiful. Will come in handy with the data plan on the iPhone with free email notifications of when I have a new Message/Wall post/photo comment etc.

MMS is dead to me.

I don't think you are typical, though. People like the convenience and speed of sending a photo to another phone. Sure, they'll also post holiday snaps on a website to share as well.

*GG*
The 30% EDGE coverage of the UK is 0% in Scotland - so it becomes pointless.

The tariff is too high anyway for what you get. No picture messageing, and why pay $120 more for the phone than it costs in the US.

The talk in the office today is of how this is like a backwards step in phones.

I am a huge Apple consumer - but this is a definite no go for me.

peharri
If the US experience is anything to go by, the carrier is not a serious issue. Apple's choice of AT&T was blasted by most MacRumors regulars when it was announced, and it doesn't seem to have done much to curb demand in any way that Apple is noticing.

The tariffs announced today aren't great, but they seem to be in line with UK tariffs in general. I don't mean you can't find a better deal, I just mean you're not going to find something *significantly* cheaper offering the same package. That's not to suggest they're not pricing some users out of the market, but this is like those Macbook vs Dell comparisons that come out from time to time - the Mac advocates and PC advocates tend to talk at cross purposes, the PC advocates pointing out you can get a much cheaper machine from Dell and the Mac advocates pointing out that if you try to get a Dell that's spec'd the same as a Macbook it'll generally be slightly more expensive (continued ad-nauseum as claims and counter-claims are made about which has more for the money.)

I don't like the iPhone, it's not for me, I have no agenda promoting it, but I'm not seeing the majority of criticisms posted here as having much of an affect. If I were to see anything as having a major affect on the iPhone's viability in Britain, it would be the apparent lack of a pre-paid option, which as others have pointed out, is preferred by many in the UK regardless of their credit. Cellphones became universal when the carriers started promoting serious, usable, prepaid tariffs, before then they were considered luxury items by most. So this is what many in the UK are used to.

It may or may not succeed, but not for the reasons most are posting here.

sananda

funny stuff.

IT HAS WIFI!!!

it has wifi. but there's hardly any open access wifi around where i am (london). you have to join some company at quite a cost to get wifi in cafes. a lot of work places just don't have it. even the british library make you join some company to get wifi. the only place i have wifi is at home.

DHUK
Sep 18, 2007, 06:21 AM
I've had a contract with all the major companies in the UK and I've stuck with O2. I don't understand all this O2 bashing - myself and family have had no issues at all with them. Orange tariffs are expensive with their confusing 'animal' representations, Vodafone coverage isn't great where I live. T-Mobiles reception outside the cities suck and they can't even sell phones (or give them away) on the island where I live because the reception is so bad.

I'm not fussed about 3G because I can't get access in my area but there is plenty of WiFi available.

£269 seems pretty reasonable to get a touch screen iPod and a good smartphone. Remember what the Nokia N95 cost when it was first released in the UK?

Saying that, I won't be getting an iPhone as I don't get chance to listen to music on the move. My next phone will be a Nokia 6110 Navigator instead. :)

whiteboytrash

Agree with that.... and iPhone has its own Facebook page...... this is why I can't understand all the talk of MMS, 3G etc. its such *****........ I want WiFi and the more devices like this that will use it will prompt businesses and governments to build more wi-fi....... not **** 3G... problem you got is fat Americans who want 160GB hard drives, 36, GPS etc not because they use it but because they want to brag about it....

iLionel
The 30% EDGE coverage of the UK is 0% in Scotland - so it becomes pointless.

The tariff is too high anyway for what you get. No picture messageing, and why pay $120 more for the phone than it costs in the US.

The talk in the office today is of how this is like a backwards step in phones.

I am a huge Apple consumer - but this is a definite no go for me.

Because UK prices include tax and the US prices do not include tax.

Philsy
Sep 18, 2007, 06:22 AM
it has wifi. but there's hardly any open access wifi around where i am (london). you have to join some company at quite a cost to get wifi in cafes. a lot of work places just don't have it. even the british library make you join some company to get wifi. the only place i have wifi is at home.

To be fair, free wifi is included in the plan

Philsy
Sep 18, 2007, 06:23 AM
Agree with that.... and iPhone has its own Facebook page...... this is why I can't understand all the talk of MMS, 3G etc. its such *****........ I want WiFi and the more devices like this that will use it will prompt businesses and governments to build more wi-fi....... not **** 3G... problem you got is fat Americans who want 160GB hard drives, 36, GPS etc not because they use it but because they want to brag about it....

Calm down mate! ;)

Glenny2lappies
Sep 18, 2007, 06:24 AM

$399 = £200
VAT = £200 x 17.5% = £35

Seems there's a £34 premium for having it in the UK (not too bad when compared with other Apple products)

Bongolo
Sep 18, 2007, 06:25 AM
So where do you get an unlocked iPhone here in the UK??

Manic Mouse
Sep 18, 2007, 06:25 AM
The tariffs announced today aren't great, but they seem to be in line with UK tariffs in general. I don't mean you can't find a better deal, I just mean you're not going to find something *significantly* cheaper offering the same package.

Yes you can and will. O2 simplicity is £15 a month with 200 mins and 400 texts.

The iPhone will bomb once the fanboys have theirs, just like it did in the US (then they slashed the price). It is priced so that only extreme fans will be willing to pay for it. Your average consumer will definitely not pay £35 a month for such paltry mins and texts AND be prepared to buy the phone for £270. Especially not with the 16Gb iPod Touch staring them in the face for the same price.

koobcamuk
Sep 18, 2007, 06:26 AM
I wonder if it's cheaper to get a return flight to NY off-peak, buy an iPhone in America and use it with a £15-£25 contract for 12 months?

People here don't expect data and emails - blackberry didn't catch on like in the USA. It's popular, but most users just have normal phones and don't care about the internet.

kfylan
The interesting thing for me is the deal for using hotspots. I live in Berlin and if T-Mobile (assuming they are the carrier) include use of all their hotspots that would probably tip the balance. There are a lot of them here.

Project
$399 = £200
VAT = £200 x 17.5% = £35

Seems there's a £34 premium for having it in the UK (not too bad when compared with other Apple products)

Most US states have to pay sales tax on top of the $399 too.

Nicolasdec
Sep 18, 2007, 06:27 AM
Im on o2 I have the 40 pound plan. I just continued my contract and got a new phone (n95) my question is will i be able to just buy an iPhone and cary on or will i have to wait untill my contract runs out???

DJS1234
Sep 18, 2007, 06:28 AM
OK everyone what to do now...

I was really hoping the iphone would be released today in the UK after all they lost a days trading yesterday and half a day today for a half hour press conference that was hardly that eventful. So a wait until November 9th or..

Buy an iPhone on eBay and unlock it then use my Vodafone sim. I haven't taken an upgrade this year as I was waiting for the iphone but I could opt to cut my tariff in half instead that would really make the o2 offer look unappealing.

Question is... Will Apple cripple the unlocking tools in a future software update (The 'Cat and Mouse' game they spoke of in the press conference) and leave me with a phone that is locked to a foreign network.

Anyone have any inputs?

Cheers
Dan

arkitect
Sep 18, 2007, 06:29 AM
So where do you get an unlocked iPhone here in the UK??

Lots on eBay… but wait a while to see what the new firmware update does…

DJS1234
Sep 18, 2007, 06:29 AM
Im on o2 I have the 40 pound plan. I just continued my contract and got a new phone (n95) my question is will i be able to just buy an iPhone and cary on or will i have to wait untill my contract runs out???

Seeing as the iPhone is unsubsidised it is effectiv;y like buying a Pay-as-you-go phone (May need a few tricks to activate it though) so you should be fine...

Schtumple
Sep 18, 2007, 06:30 AM

woo, so i can surf one of 1500 pages a month bfore being charged/cut off/whatever they'll do, but if i want to actually talk to anyone, oh oh, screwed over, I wanted to get 500 texts and mins for £50 a month, which, is still a rip off compared to all the other O2 tariffs that are offered.

For a basic tariff from O2, £35 a month gets you like 600 mins and 300 texts... I don't really care much for data plans...

I am actually angered by how much O2 dropped the ball on this...

Plus the £269 price tag is yet another proof of rip off britain at it's best, make it £200 so it at least actually comes close to the american price then I'd be sold...

Why should we pay more because our economy doesn't suck?

BigSteev
So the fanboys will buy it eh? Well I think I definitely qualify as a fan boy based on the amount of Apple kit filling up my place but I won't be.
It's not the network (I'm on O2 already, have been for ags and am happy with them) but the tariffs are a joke. For £35 (over 12 months) I get 400 mins and 1000 txts and a free W880i.
The iPhone isn't 3G, doesn't do MMS (use that a lot) and I seem to recall it doesn't shoot video either. On the other hand it offers visual voicemail (except I don't use voicemail at all - if you call me the phone tells me I have a missed call and if I want to speak to you I'll call you back, if you withhold your number I don't want to speak to you anyway and if it's that important send a text), it offers wi-fi connectivity (nice, except I've found Cloud to be pretty unreliable even in London, and thanks to the scaremongers everywhere, most other wi-fi options are now no longer open and free).

So basically, from my point of view, it sucks. Might try a iPod Touch just to experience the interface that has everyone raving, but it'll be a while before I'll be getting the phone.

mani
comic book guy says: "worst. announcement. ever."

I like the 18 months though.

rashdown_online
WiFi store has nothing to do with the unlimited data package. Its Wifi.

I used to work at the cloud, and they were working on a lot of funky stuff with emerging tech. Really exciting, and REALLY VERY CLEVER PEOPLE!!! One of the things they were working on with GSM providers where deals to use WiFi hotspots through to the GSM/SIM account holder. One bill for mobile and 802.1x/etc. Good stuff and pioneering at the time.

This announcement, upon reflection, is obvious as a transition of the tech. But what I'm not convinced about is due to the way the authentication will work; will the data usage of EDGE & Public WiFi be collated? I have a sneaky feeling that it will!!! So it may be worth asking a few questions at the point of sale. And tis would be a good exercise in checking to see if Carphone Warehouse staff as good as PCWorld staff with knowledge and advice!

On another note, The Cloud also manages the ITBox (found in most drinking holes and hotels). You know, it's that box in the corner that has games and things on it. Well it's got a WiFi router inside linked to xDSL (that's how they get updates etc to it). I seem to remember it's turned ON by default, but the publican doesn't realise, and it's not marketed as being a WiFi Hotspot – really). So there may be coverage via WiFi throughout the UK! The net effect will result in increased alcoholism, increase in authoritarian police state and an increase in being told what to do by a parent-child-relationship nanny state.

On a positive note, there'll be no need for Murdock in the home as the footie is on in the pub so you wont need it in the home and you can get rid of the useless Sky B/Band. And Sky would go bust with the ever increasing rise of FreeView, and Video playback of our fav TV show's from WiFiTunes on the iPhone while sat in the pub (it's a dream that would make me very happy!!!) but at least there'll be a use for the iPhone outside of London, the cr*pital city of England, where strangely the majority of the UK population don't live (but yes, there's a lot of wealth, OK.)!!!!

Yours truly - an ever increasingly disillusioned Mac user who switched in '97.
R. :confused:

redgaz26
Sep 18, 2007, 06:31 AM
Firstly, I'm in the UK, live in London, and I've had an iPhone working on O2 since it could be unlocked. Some thoughts...

The contract prices are a joke. I'm currently with O2, and on a cashback plan, pay £3.35 a month (12 month contract) for 400 minutes/200 texts - even better deals are available now, such as £0 ! a month for 800 minutes/500 texts. Who in their right mind would sign up to one of the rip-off O2 packages, when "unlimited" data seems to be very limited indeed - 1400 pages - what??

This is typical rip-off Britain, and I know plenty of Apple fanboys will sign up and buy this phone anyway. But if they had any sense, they'd buy a phone in the USA, unlock it, and find a better deal with another provider. If rumours of what O2 had to pay for the iPhone deal are true, it's clear they're passing the cost on to their consumers.

As for who has the best coverage between O2/Vodaphone/T-Mobile etc, this is a pretty moot argument. Across the UK, this varies massively. e.g. In Oxford, O2 and Vodaphone are great, in Winchester, Orange is great (and you can barely get O2 coverage), and in London, various networks suck in different areas. I think the main point to be made is that T-Mobile offer the fantastic web-n-walk package at only £7.50

why not nuy from the apple store(uk) and unlock it, it's going to work the same as the US., go in buy the phone take it home and do what you want, I agree the tarrifs are pricey but the£35 one will do me fine.
people if you don't want one don't buy it

Stella
Why would any one pay so much money for a non 3G phone, when probably, Apple will release a 3G phone in 6 months?

hanxu
Apple is just like the new Microsoft, only worse and more gready. I was looking forward to an iPhone, but now I guess I will stick with my Blackberry with O2 on EDGE

Project
Sep 18, 2007, 06:32 AM
woo, so i can surf one of 1500 pages a month bfore being charged/cut off/whatever they'll do, but if i want to actually talk to anyone, oh oh, screwed over, I wanted to get 500 texts and mins for £50 a month, which, is still a rip off compared to all the other O2 tariffs that are offered.

For a basic tariff from O2, £35 a month gets you like 600 mins and 300 texts... I don't really care much for data plans...

Plus the £269 price tag is yet another proof of rip off britain at it's best, make it £200 so it at least actually comes close to the american price then I'd be sold...

Its 1,400 a day

redgaz26
Sep 18, 2007, 06:32 AM
Apple is just like the new Microsoft, only worse and more gready. I was looking forward to an iPhone, but now I guess I will stick with my Blackberry with O2 on EDGE

how much are you paying for your blackberry, just to get an idea!

Bongolo
Sep 18, 2007, 06:33 AM
Lots on eBay… but wait a while to see what the new firmware update does…

Thanks arkitect! ;) :cool:

Glenny2lappies
Sep 18, 2007, 06:35 AM
What type of 'minutes' are they?

Are they anywhere minutes (calling mobiles and landlines), or are they just landline only minutes?

The absence of weekend/evening minutes is also noted.

Also doesn't AT&G offers some deal where you can call other mobiles on their network cheaply?

hmljcr
HMLJCR - So you live in the UK with an unlocked iPhone on O2. Do you have visual voicemail and is that the only feature that's different after unlock? I'd be interested in unlocking one on a cheaper contract and I guess if its on O2 anyway you should be able to access all features, just on a cheaper contract.

Well, that's a good question. Visual voicemail doesn't work - for now - but I wonder if it will when the iPhone is officially launched. What I'm not entirely clear about (or I don't think has been made clear) is if unlimited data will be rolled out across all previous contract packages for free, or for a premium.

Given the premium people are paying for iPhones on Ebay, it makes much more sense to get a cheap flight to the USA, and go do other shopping all at the same time.

I wonder when Apple are going to start selling phones in the US with 1.1.1 firmware tho'.

iLionel

We have already said the iPhone barely costs much more then it does in the states since they're prices DO NOT INCLUDE TAX.

Project
Sep 18, 2007, 06:36 AM
This announcement, upon reflection, is obvious as a transition of the tech. But what I'm not convinced about is due to the way the authentication will work; will the data usage of EDGE & Public WiFi be collated? I have a sneaky feeling that it will!!! So it may be worth asking a few questions at the point of sale. And tis would be a good exercise in checking to see if Carphone Warehouse staff as good as PCWorld staff with knowledge and advice!

Interesting. One would hope not.

page3
Sep 18, 2007, 06:37 AM
How I waited for the iphone... I need a new phone, was happy to change to O2 even. BUT £269 = $540 WHHHAAATTTTTT??? Even for Apple that really is a rip off. $141 more in the UK than the USA. Strewth. Bring on the grey imports.You forgot to take VAT in to account. Ok, its still more, but not that much more!

Drat and double drat - iLionel beat me to it :)

Project
Sep 18, 2007, 06:37 AM
What type of 'minutes' are they?

Are they anywhere minutes (calling mobiles and landlines), or are they just landline only minutes?

The absence of weekend/evening minutes is also noted.

Also doesn't AT&G offers some deal where you can call other mobiles on their network cheaply?

Yeah AT&T to AT&T mobile calls are free in the States. I thought that was kind of awesome.

Glenny2lappies
Sep 18, 2007, 06:38 AM
We have already said the iPhone barely costs much more then it does in the states since they're prices DO NOT INCLUDE TAX.

The price of the iPony isn't the issue, it's the price of the phone plans = $70/month | $90/month | $105/month PLUS goodness knows what out of plan costs.

ElectricHermit
Sep 18, 2007, 06:39 AM
woo, so i can surf one of 1500 pages a month bfore being charged/cut off/whatever they'll do...

Erm, that limit was EDGE data, per day, not wi-fi, per month. You don't seem to understand what's being offered.

iLionel
Sep 18, 2007, 06:42 AM
The price of the iPony isn't the issue, it's the price of the phone plans = $70/month | $90/month | $105/month PLUS goodness knows what out of plan costs.

You mean £35, £45 and £55, you can't compare price plan costs between the UK and the US since they're totally different networks in totally different countries.

There's the Date plan, free access to Cloud wifi hotspots as well as 200min and 200 texts.

R1ch
Sep 18, 2007, 06:42 AM
The news says that 'Apple' have an agreement with The Cloud for free WiFi access at it's hotspots. Does this mean that the iPod Touch will also be able to use this facility or will be tied to iPhone and 02?

mattydodgy
Sep 18, 2007, 06:43 AM
First of all... I will point out a question/answer about the iPhone on the O2 website...

Can I “unlock” iPhone and use it with another wireless carrier?

O2 is the exclusive wireless carrier for iPhone in the United Kingdom. If you currently use another wireless carrier, you can choose to transfer your number when you activate your O2 account.

They are trying to bend the question, why not just say, yes you can, but we would prefer it if people wouldn't because we wouldn't be making any money!

And second, if the Brits bought the iPhone from America, it would cost £199 with the exchange rate, then just unlock it. I love Apple, but the price for the phone and the tariff (thats minimum £899 total). I have waited for them to come to the UK since I heared rumors that it would be released in USA!

This is so unfair, and I am loyal to Apple, I have a MacBook Pro, a Classic iPod, and I have bought about 6 iPods before that too!

We should get discount...

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

iLionel
Sep 18, 2007, 06:44 AM
The news says that 'Apple' have an agreement with The Cloud for free WiFi access at it's hotspots. Does this mean that the iPod Touch will also be able to use this facility or will be tied to iPhone and 02?

The deal is via O2 so iPhone only.

Manic Mouse
You mean £35, £45 and £55, you can't compare price plan costs between the UK and the US since they're totally different networks in totally different countries.

There's the Date plan, free access to Cloud wifi hotspots as well as 200min and 200 texts.

Keep the cloud and give me a decent tariff please.

200 texts and 200 mins on a £35 per month contract is a scandal.

iLionel
First of all... I will point out a question/answer about the iPhone on the O2 website...

Can I “unlock” iPhone and use it with another wireless carrier?

O2 is the exclusive wireless carrier for iPhone in the United Kingdom. If you currently use another wireless carrier, you can choose to transfer your number when you activate your O2 account.

They are trying to bend the question, why not just say, yes you can, but we would prefer it if people wouldn't because we wouldn't be making any money!

And second, if the Brits bought the iPhone from America, it would cost £199 with the exchange rate, then just unlock it. I love Apple, but the price for the phone and the tariff (thats minimum £899 total). I have waited for them to come to the UK since I heared rumors that it would be released in USA!

This is so unfair, and I am loyal to Apple, I have a MacBook Pro, a Classic iPod, and I have bought about 6 iPods before that too!

We should get discount...

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

No, you will have to pay import charges and VAT on top.

felixkunze
Sep 18, 2007, 06:45 AM
Well, that's a good question. Visual voicemail doesn't work - for now - but I wonder if it will when the iPhone is officially launched. What I'm not entirely clear about (or I don't think has been made clear) is if unlimited data will be rolled out across all previous contract packages for free, or for a premium.

Given the premium people are paying for iPhones on Ebay, it makes much more sense to get a cheap flight to the USA, and go do other shopping all at the same time.

I wonder when Apple are going to start selling phones in the US with 1.1.1 firmware tho'.

Hm, thanks. I guess we'll find out on 9 Nov!

Lycanthrope
Sep 18, 2007, 06:46 AM
European mobile market is a decade ahead of the USA. All phones can be bought unlocked and people are used to it, I think it will be a bit of a flop.

I agree with the poster above who said the phone should be sold at a high price handset only. If you look at the evolution of PDA phones, for instance the HTC (QTEK) range their top-line models sell for €1000+

We'll have to wait and see what happens here in Belgium. For sure locked phones are illegal so either they have to supply it thus or skip, there's no way the law will change. I'd happily pay €750 for an Apple unlocked iPhone but am not interested otherwise. Wait and see if there's any announcement for Belgium and then if necessary get one from the US and unlock it myself.

whiteboytrash

I just phoned Vodafone and told them I'm switching to the iPhone if they don't offer me a better price plan.... so here's what they offered: £35 per month for 500 minutes and 500 texts. For data I have to pay an additional £7.50 per month for 125MB per month ! anymore than that I have to pay ! Voicemail is not free and will use up the minutes per month.... now this is a promotional offer to a person who has being paying £200 per month (due to international calls/texts etc.) - who are they kidding ?

So o2 I can get the £45 plan for 600 minutes and 500 texts and free everything else including data......... sure I have to pay £269 for the unit itself but I get an iPod and lots more for that money... with Vodafone I have to use a krap handset that they offer me as an upgrade.... and thats an 18 month contract........

maehara
I'd expect that agreement's more likely to be with O2, but even if it's with Apple I can't see the Touch being included - the iPhone gives them an income they can use to pay The Cloud with, the Touch doesn't, and they're not going to give the access away...

rdowns
Sep 18, 2007, 06:47 AM

No way this works with the touch.

iLionel
Sep 18, 2007, 06:48 AM
Keep the cloud and give me a decent tariff please.

200 texts and 200 mins on a £35 per month contract is a scandal.

Let's see..

Flext 15 = £34 allowance giving you 170min OR 340 texts - £15

The Cloud Wifi access - £10

Approx 4GB (according to Vodafone) of monthly data use compared to T Mobile's Web'N'Walk which gives you 1GB per month - £10

Nope, seems to add up perfectly if not brilliantly.

phalewhale
Sep 18, 2007, 06:49 AM
Hi all,

I just wanted to express my opinion on the iPhone statement. I (like many others on this forum) am disappointed with the release statement made today. Without 3G, I think that will deter a lot of potential customers. I for one, will be holding out for the new Sony Ericsson K850i. It's 3G and has a cracking 5mp camera.

Whilst it aint an iPhone, it'll do until a 3G iPhone arrives. When I do get my hands on one, I won't be paying O2 for the pleasure. It'll be unlocked ready for use with my current providers, Vodafone. O2 have such a bad name for customer service (which I can vouch for), it's disappointing to know that they are the only carrier.

Anyway, just my opinion. Looking forward to getting by iPod Touch next month.

gnasher729
Sep 18, 2007, 06:51 AM

You got that wrong. You can "surf" (never seen that word actually used in civilian language) about 4GB per month, that is about 140MB per day, which is about 1400 pages per day if you estimate 100 KByte per page. So that is 30 times more than you thought.

And visiting 1400 pages in a day is actually hard work.

sananda
Sep 18, 2007, 06:53 AM

yeah, it's true. but i looked up the cloud and there isn't a one of their hotspots anywhere near me either. and i live in london!

KindredMAC
Sep 18, 2007, 06:54 AM
snicker snicker

Again I say, speaking only from an American stand point, what good is 3G when the only areas of the states that has it also has free WiFi hotspots every 2 feet?

Last night my wife and I had to respond to an accident of a friend's out in the boonies. I had to use my iPhone to find out what road our friend was on. The actual cell coverage was so bad that Google Maps actually lost contact and froze the whole phone up.

Once 3G coverage is actually good, then I will understand everyone's complaints.... and as for everyone saying from the beginning that the Euro iPhone HAD TO HAVE 3G??? Why? Just because YOU said so?

I'm happy Apple released the iPhone in Europe! 3G or not.

gnasher729
Sep 18, 2007, 06:55 AM
How I waited for the iphone... I need a new phone, was happy to change to O2 even. BUT £269 = $540 WHHHAAATTTTTT??? Even for Apple that really is a rip off. $141 more in the UK than the USA. Strewth. Bring on the grey imports.

What is this obsession with dollar prices? Check out what a pint of lager costs in your nearest pub, and tell them that charging six dollars for a pint is a ripoff. Then check out the price of a decent hotel room for one night for two in the middle of London and translate that into dollars. It will give you a heart attack.

iLionel
Sep 18, 2007, 06:56 AM
Having used GPRS for web browsing, i'm more then happy with EDGE.

pianojoe
Sep 18, 2007, 06:57 AM
I perfectly believe Mr Jobs when he says, 3G isn't happening because Apple haven't figured it out yet.

I also don't think that the iPhone is too expensive in the UK. I payed $399 + tax at the Apple Store. Without tax that converts to 200 GBP. Add UK VAT, makes £235. The remaining £34 cover the higher service cost in the EU (warranty laws are much more on the consumer side than in the U.S.) and the lower overall sales volume. I can't see a rip-off.

When you compare the iPhone to your current mobile phone, don't forget that it gives you a new view of what it means to stay connected, and how to experience the web on-the-go. (I'm not kidding, and I'm not Phil Schiller either.) And unlimited data is part of the concept. Feel free to drop unlimited data (anybody say Canada?) if you're on a tight budget, but iPhone doesn't make so-much sense without.

Edit: For the benefit of our American members, the price of the iPhone in the UK converts to $456 + tax.

nja247
Sep 18, 2007, 06:58 AM

Actually if you check out engadet's hands - on article, you'll see that their unlocked iPhone using T-Mobile had the EDGE indicator on in the Apple Store in London whilst the O2 model did not.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/hands-on-with-the-o2-iphone/

dalvin200
Sep 18, 2007, 06:59 AM

ahh, so if you had an unlocked iphone (ie, not using 02), then you can't use the free cloud wifi?

Pressure
Sep 18, 2007, 07:01 AM
It depend on where you live, in the larger cites here in Sweden you now can get 7,2Mbit/s. (€21.464/month -unlimited data only)

3G in the countryside only give you 0.384Mbits (€10.67/month -unlimited data only)

in countryside you can get 2,5Mbit (not 3g but some competing technique )
- I think this is meant for laptops and needs a special modem.

It shuld be the same in all countries that the larger cities get faster data transfer first.

At least we are pretty even in Scandinavia. I mean, around my entire city we have 3G (3.6MBit) network available. Would I use EDGE? Heck no, not when I can get 3G (which my SonyEricsson W880i has). It's enough to stream TV and what not.

Plumbstone
Sep 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
Apple is trying to create a certain exclusivity around this product, they don't just want any old spotty teenager with a few hundred quid sticking in a PAYG sim. This is one of the most advanced phones ever made so paying a premium for it is totally understandable both from a business and a marketing perspective.

If you can't afford one, tough, go and get a job/better job/another job....London is one of the wealthiest places in the world and I am sure there are are plenty of folk who won't even think twice about spending that kind of money, I mean average house prices in Kensington rose by £500,000 last year alone, thats over $1,000,000.

DJS1234
Sep 18, 2007, 07:08 AM
OK everyone what to do now...

I was really hoping the iphone would be released today in the UK after all they lost a days trading yesterday and half a day today for a half hour press conference that was hardly that eventful. So a wait until November 9th or..

Buy an iPhone on eBay and unlock it then use my Vodafone sim. I haven't taken an upgrade this year as I was waiting for the iphone but I could opt to cut my tariff in half instead that would really make the o2 offer look unappealing.

Question is... Will Apple cripple the unlocking tools in a future software update (The 'Cat and Mouse' game they spoke of in the press conference) and leave me with a phone that is locked to a foreign network.

Anyone have any inputs?

Cheers
Dan

Anyone thinking the same thing?

Digitaljim
Sep 18, 2007, 07:09 AM
Sorry Apple/O2: not a good enough deal for me.

Having been over in NY last week and played with my friend's iPhone, I really do love the interface & design. However, EDGE is basically unusable in all the most desperate of situations. And 8 gigs really is too small for something that claims to be 'the best ipod ever'.

The free wireless spot access is certainly a bonus though.

Philsy
Sep 18, 2007, 07:09 AM
Apple is trying to create a certain exclusivity around this product, they don't just want any old spotty teenager with a few hundred quid sticking in a PAYG sim. This is one of the most advanced phones ever made so paying a premium for it is totally understandable both from a business and a marketing perspective.

If you can't afford one, tough, go and get a job/better job/another job....London is one of the wealthiest places in the world and I am sure there are are plenty of folk who won't even think twice about spending that kind of money, I mean average house prices in Kensington rose by £500,000 last year alone, thats over $1,000,000.

Go on, tell us what you do for a living ;)

iBlue
Sep 18, 2007, 07:11 AM

poke it! that doesn't mean everyone in london is rolling in so much dough that they feel perfectly ok with being ripped off.

Kipling
Sep 18, 2007, 07:11 AM
I perfectly believe Mr Jobs when he says, 3G isn't happening because Apple haven't figured it out yet.

I also don't think that the iPhone is too expensive in the UK. I payed $399 + tax at the Apple Store. Without tax that converts to 200 GBP. Add UK VAT, makes £235. The remaining £34 cover the higher service cost in the EU (warranty laws are much more on the consumer side than in the U.S.) and the lower overall sales volume. I can't see a rip-off.

When you compare the iPhone to your current mobile phone, don't forget that it gives you a new view of what it means to stay connected, and how to experience the web on-the-go. (I'm not kidding, and I'm not Phil Schiller either.) And unlimited data is part of the concept. Feel free to drop unlimited data (anybody say Canada?) if you're on a tight budget, but iPhone doesn't make so-much sense without.

Edit: For the benefit of our American members, the price of the iPhone in the UK converts to $456 + tax.

Yup, couldn't agree more. The price of the phone is fair in comparison to the US price. It sits neatly alongside the iPod prices. And the monthly charge for any phone soon outweighs the up-front cost.

However, the O2 tariff bugs me quite a bit. 200 talk + 200 text for £35 or $70 doesn't stack up at all well against AT&Ts 450 talk + 200 text + 5000 minutes of weekend and evening calls, all for $60 or £30. Either O2 is trying to recover their 40% revenue deal, or Cloud is charging a lot for the free WiFi hotspots.

I pretty much hoped to replace my landline with an iPhone; not sure that it's economic to do so now.

sananda
Sep 18, 2007, 07:14 AM
snicker snicker

Again I say, speaking only from an American stand point, what good is 3G when the only areas of the states that has it also has free WiFi hotspots every 2 feet?

i wish i could access free wi-fi hotspots every two feet in london!

iLionel
Sep 18, 2007, 07:14 AM
Yup, couldn't agree more. The price of the phone is fair in comparison to the US price. It sits neatly alongside the iPod prices. And the monthly charge for any phone soon outweighs the up-front cost.

However, the O2 tariff bugs me quite a bit. 200 talk + 200 text for £35 or $70 doesn't stack up at all well against AT&Ts 450 talk + 200 text + 5000 minutes of weekend and evening calls, all for $60 or £30. Either O2 is trying to recover their 40% revenue deal, or Cloud is charging a lot for the free WiFi hotspots.

I pretty much hoped to replace my landline with an iPhone; not sure that it's economic to do so now.

Yeah, let's compare fuel prices too, and while we're there let's compare cost of property!

brucebrendon
Sep 18, 2007, 07:15 AM
Well after checking out theCloud's WiFi in my area i think thhey should rebrand maybe to thePub, thePint...?

Ironically the only place that was not a pub or restaurant in StAlbans was the o2 shop!

So, hypothetically of course... could i use an iFone as a modem down the iPub?

...and what's the average range and speed at/near these establishments?

iDrink

Ps. such an obv&exp parntnership sellout 3G dodge! (see prev postings)

DJS1234
I mean average house prices in Kensington rose by £500,000 last year alone, thats over $1,000,000.

That's a little optimistic... I think you mean the average house price in Kensington is £500,000 not rose by £500,000. Or that the average increase in value of houses previously valued at say over £2mil was £500k.

Dan (Used to do I.T. for a London estate agent until about 4 months ago)

hanxu
how much are you paying for your blackberry, just to get an idea!

Well I pay 15 per month and £10 per month unlimited blackberry data, my phone is 8800 which came free with my contract.

I am a loyalty O2 customer, so that's why I get everything so cheap.

Project
Sep 18, 2007, 07:16 AM

Do Americans have to pay for incoming texts/minutes? I keep hearing to something of that effect.

Parky
Sep 18, 2007, 07:17 AM
Well I cancelled my iPod touch due to the current screen issues and thought I might go for an iPhone instead. Having looked at what is on offer....I think I will pass for now and sit it out a bit longer.

I'm usually an Apple 'early adopter', but something is telling me to hold off at the moment, maybe the excitement of the US launch and the bad press that it and the iPod touch appear to be getting has slanted my judgement.

I will wait until the New Year (my Birthday is in Jan) and see what I can get then.

Ian

iShak
Sep 18, 2007, 07:20 AM
in UK, generally getting a high end phone on a £30+ /mo contract gets you the phone for free or at a minimal upfront payment, even the Nokia N95 is free at £30/mo on O2 so this £269 tag for iPhone is quite ridiculous.

Apple has not introduced anything new, its the same old USA iPhone locked to O2. There is no 3G, yes I hear what steve has to say but then atleast drop the price a bit, steve.

only 30% EDGE coverage in UK ... baah

only 200 minutes @ £35/mo? .. my bro gets 1500 minutes @ £15/mo (no unlimited data, so what? I don't want to pay £33 for EDGE connection [the calltime comes to about £2 for 200 minutes for my bro])

so I have decided, iPod Touch it is! (but some time in January next year, want these screen/audio/stability/everything? issues to get sorted first)

dalvin200
lol!! so true!
checked my nottingham central and again, most of the places were bars/pubs.. as well as many BT phone booths..

Well after checking out theCloud's WiFi in my area i think thhey should rebrand maybe to thePub, thePint...?

Ironically the only place that was not a pub or restaurant in StAlbans was the o2 shop!

So, hypothetically of course... could i use an iFone as a modem down the iPub?

...and what's the average range and speed at/near these establishments?

iDrink

Ps. such an obv&exp parntnership sellout 3G dodge! (see prev postings)

sananda

yes, i agree with all you say. the price of the phone seems fine. but the tariff is of a different order to the at&t one. the latter seems to offer a better deal than their usual tariffs for any phone. in other words, it may well counteract the fact that the phone is subsidised. and this is possible because at&t have no subsidy to recover. whereas 02 are not offering a tariff any better than the ones they offer with subsidised phones (some earlier post set this out although their conclusion was that it makes for a fair deal)

sananda
Sep 18, 2007, 07:23 AM
That's a little optimistic... I think you mean the average house price in Kensington is £500,000 not rose by £500,000. Or that the average increase in value of houses previously valued at say over £2mil was £500k.

Dan (Used to do I.T. for a London estate agent until about 4 months ago)

there's no way that an average house in kensington costs £500,000! you're way off on that one :D

Kipling
Sep 18, 2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah, let's compare fuel prices too, and while we're there let's compare cost of property!

Actually, the ATT tariffs in the US seem broadly comparable to what's on offer from other UK networks at the £35/month mark.

I'm suggesting that O2's iPhone tariff, specifically, is overpriced for what you get - at least at the bottom end.

tfstone
Sep 18, 2007, 07:27 AM
Don't get me wrong! I love my Macs. Got MBP at home and one at work. An iMac, Apple TV, Airport Extreme and a Shuffle. So you probably could me a "fanboy" or macoid.

BUT! This phone (camera, no 3g) at this price in Europe is a joke:confused:. BTW it is supposed to come to Austria in November, according to someone at t-mobile in Vienna (in case someone cares).

I will pick up a touch though once the screen issues are sorted out.