Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Likvid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
We have a little gem for you this morning. Over at Digital Video Editing they have an interview with Apple's VP of Hardware Engineering, John Rubinstein, and IBM's Chekib Akrout. The interview kicks off with some confusion over AMD's Opteron...

DMN: Now, you're saying it's the first 64-bit desktop machine. But isn't there an Opteron dual-processor machine? It shipped on June 4th. BOXX Technologies shipped it. It has an Opteron 244 in it.

Rubinstein: Uh...

Akrout: It's not a desktop.

DMN: That's a desktop unit.

Akrout: It depends on what you call a desktop, now. These… From a full desktop per se, this is the first one. I don't know how you really distinguish the other one as a desktop.

DMN: Well, it's a dual processor desktop machine, just like that one.

Akrout: It's not 64, then.

DMN: Yes, it's a 64-bit machine with two Opteron chips in it. It started shipping June 4th.

Akrout: That we'll double check, but in my mind, it wasn't.
Senior VP of Hardware Engineering? VP of PowerPC & Network Technology Development? When you're going to make a claim about having the "first 64-bit desktop", you might want to look around at what the competition has to offer first. What a bunch of winners.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Old news. Check the archives, please. For some strange reason, Apple's exec doesn't track small niche players like Boxx. When Dell starts shipping similar configs, I'm sure Mr. Rubinstein will know about it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Lets not let this sort of thing get out of hand. Just remember to let a mod know and we'll take care of it.

D ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.