PDA

View Full Version : Next iPhone Update with International Keyboards, iTunes WiFi

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Sep 18, 2007, 05:30 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/09/18/international.png

Apple has posted updated demo videos (http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/phone/features.html?feature=sms) of the iPhone on their UK site. The new videos use an updated version of the iPhone's software. A few differences are notable on the videos

- International Keyboard support has been included which was first seen (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/13/international-keyboard-support-for-ipod-touch-iphone-soon/) on the iPod touch.
- Calculator Widget icon is updated (same is iPod touch).
- iTunes Wifi store

Apple is expected to deploy an iPhone update imminently.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/18/next-iphone-update-with-international-keyboards-itunes-wifi/)

Telp
Sep 18, 2007, 05:40 AM
Bring it on Apple

Eric Lewis
Sep 18, 2007, 05:45 AM
its coming today...i know it

apple:apple: thanks for the wifi store

but that event was useless..why did jobs have to go there for that? what a waste

fastbite
Sep 18, 2007, 05:46 AM
All necessary changes an expected.

drater
Sep 18, 2007, 05:48 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.

synth3tik
Sep 18, 2007, 06:05 AM
I really want to play around with the Wifi store, whether it works well or not.

Telp
Sep 18, 2007, 06:05 AM
I believe its coming today!!

:apple::apple::apple:

Telp
Sep 18, 2007, 06:07 AM
I really want to play around with the Wifi store, whether it works well or not.

its nice but there really isn't much to it

drater
Sep 18, 2007, 06:22 AM

please don't hold your breathe, I don't want to be responsible. And this isn't the matrix, THERE IS A SPOON!

VaMac
Sep 18, 2007, 06:35 AM
Where is our Flash Player. I thought Walt Mossberg said that the Flash player would be one of the first software updates.

drater
Sep 18, 2007, 06:37 AM
Where is our Flash Player. I thought Walt Mossberg said that the Flash player would be one of the first software updates.

maybe it will be. there has been no major update yet. Just bug fixes and ringtones. who knows, would be nice though.

chr1s60
Sep 18, 2007, 06:47 AM
I want the keyboard to be available in landscape in all apps. The whole wifi store update will be nice, but I really hope they throw something else in as a little surprise because without one the update really isn't a big deal.

typ356
Sep 18, 2007, 07:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

What about MMS. Its very popular in Europe.

CJD2112
Sep 18, 2007, 07:10 AM
I want the keyboard to be available in landscape in all apps. The whole wifi store update will be nice, but I really hope they throw something else in as a little surprise because without one the update really isn't a big deal.

Agreed. Landscape mode for the keyboard is essential, as is adding the option to "Manually Manage" songs, videos and pictures; MMS support, improved sound level/quality, AIM/iChat, and video filming...

...and one more thing. In NYC I was used to sending off a few texts while on the train and my RAZR would store them in the outbox until I got off and there was a signal to send the messages. The iPhone doesn't do this. If I write a text and it can't be sent, once I exit the SMS page the text I typed is lost. Incredibly annoying. I used to save a lot of time by writing responses while on the train. :(

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 07:22 AM
I would assume that they fixed the Yahoo! push mail issue, which was their fault. If they improved Mail at all, it would be nice.

ghall
Sep 18, 2007, 07:25 AM
[Twiddles thumbs]

So, where is it?

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 07:39 AM
I hope it changes the "iPhone" at the top of my screen to "P" :D

bigbarr
Sep 18, 2007, 07:40 AM
from everyone's comments in this and other threads it looks like everyone expects the update to be released soon...

Was Steve wrong when he said "next month" in the keynote about the itunes wifi store on the iphone?

I'm not getting my hopes up.

mainstreetmark
Sep 18, 2007, 07:42 AM
...and one more thing. In NYC I was used to sending off a few texts while on the train and my RAZR would store them in the outbox until I got off and there was a signal to send the messages. The iPhone doesn't do this. If I write a text and it can't be sent, once I exit the SMS page the text I typed is lost. Incredibly annoying. I used to save a lot of time by writing responses while on the train. :(

Seconded. I've had to walk outside and hold my iphone up in the air for a few moments, or risk loosing my very important response.

(I wonder if the iPhone and devices like it with full keyboards will put an end to that strange "LOL" speech, that's even made it's way into commercials)

chr1s60
Sep 18, 2007, 08:15 AM
from everyone's comments in this and other threads it looks like everyone expects the update to be released soon...

Was Steve wrong when he said "next month" in the keynote about the itunes wifi store on the iphone?

I'm not getting my hopes up.

I believe Steve said "later this month," not next month.

I am thinking Apple will do like they have with the other two updates and release them in the afternoon. I have my fingers crossed for today and for wanting something special in the update.

KindredMAC
Sep 18, 2007, 08:43 AM

I also believe in Santa Claus but the matter of the fact is I've seen neither so far today.

daysleeper
Sep 18, 2007, 09:07 AM
c'mon, apple. I'm just waiting to see what this update does, then I'll buy an iPhone. Promise.

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 09:13 AM
I also believe in Santa Claus but the matter of the fact is I've seen neither so far today.

I've seen Santa today.

Bostonian1976
Sep 18, 2007, 09:15 AM
isn't it more likely on the 25th with the Apple Expo?

Telp
Sep 18, 2007, 09:15 AM
I've seen Santa today.

So did I...he looked kinda funny...:)

paulyras
Sep 18, 2007, 09:27 AM
Not to add to the 'must have' requests, but double clicking of space to add a period, such as blackberries have had since day one would be awesome.

Now if only I would stop trying to scroll down messages on my stupid work BB by flicking on the screen. It doesn't work, and I end up looking really dumb...

ben5959
Sep 18, 2007, 09:32 AM
im so excited about this new update, please please happen today, i cant wait anylonger. checked my comp at 6am this morning to see if it was released aafter the uk thing, but to muy dissappointment it obviously wasnt, :(

i know that everyone has been "hoping" this update would have the horizontal keyboard addition, but is this just speculation, or has anyone actually confirmed a so called "leak" of the addition of this feature. If it really happens, i'm sure i'll mess my shorts!

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 09:43 AM
I honestly just want the update to fix push email in Mail so that it actually works after all this time.

AppleSJ511606
Sep 18, 2007, 09:43 AM
So did I...he looked kinda funny...:)

Santa is bringing us the 1.1 iPhone update?

The man better wrap it with a bow and HAND DELIVER IT TO all of us 1,000,000+ customers within the next hour.

That's generally how apple does things. I suspect the Easter bunny will deliver the next update -.-

ibwb
Sep 18, 2007, 09:59 AM
Not to add to the 'must have' requests, but double clicking of space to add a period, such as blackberries have had since day one would be awesome.

Now if only I would stop trying to scroll down messages on my stupid work BB by flicking on the screen. It doesn't work, and I end up looking really dumb...

Since this is described in the iPod Touch manual it's almost certain to be coming.

Mebsat
Sep 18, 2007, 10:31 AM

Hilarious.

Personally I can't seriously consider an iPhone until they add the horizontal keyboard in all apps. That's why I'm considering getting a BB, regardless of how much I like the iPhone.

Since you are using both, how do they really compare in terms of being able to reliably compose, access and send mail? Especially in terms of speed.
(I don't need BES access)

CADer
Sep 18, 2007, 10:33 AM
I know this has been said several times and I invite ridicule for even saying it but has anyone noticed the pictures posted on the engadget site, the pictures of the O2 Iphone side by side with the US Iphone? Can anyone confirm that the weather icon says in the O2 Iphone says 23° is that just cause it is in Celsius or is it a live weather icon.

Yes I just said it and no I did not bring this up on the last Update, but I was just wondering and it would totally make sense if it was a live Widget (like calender) but it also makes sense if it is just in Celsius.

dejo
Sep 18, 2007, 10:40 AM
- International Keyboard support has been included which was first seen (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/13/international-keyboard-support-for-ipod-touch-iphone-soon/) on the iPod touch.
Well, that's at least one advantage to having a software-based, on-screen keyboard vs. a hardware-based, physical keyboard. Something SJ noted from the beginning.

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 10:40 AM
I know this has been said several times and I invite ridicule for even saying it but has anyone noticed the pictures posted on the engadget site, the pictures of the O2 Iphone side by side with the US Iphone? Can anyone confirm that the weather icon says in the O2 Iphone says 23° is that just cause it is in Celsius or is it a live weather icon.

Yes I just said it and no I did not bring this up on the last Update, but I was just wondering and it would totally make sense if it was a live Widget (like calender) but it also makes sense if it is just in Celsius.

It's Celsius. (73 F)

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 10:41 AM
Hilarious.

Personally I can't seriously consider an iPhone until they add the horizontal keyboard in all apps. That's why I'm considering getting a BB, regardless of how much I like the iPhone.

Since you are using both, how do they really compare in terms of being able to reliably compose, access and send mail? Especially in terms of speed.
(I don't need BES access)

I love the vertical keyboard and I type extremely fast on it. I find it more awkward to use the horizontal keyboard because of the loss of viewing room for the content.

MarkW19
Sep 18, 2007, 10:55 AM

The iPod Touch has this, so I'm sure it'll be in the new iPhone 1.1.1 update.

Djmx
Sep 18, 2007, 10:56 AM
What Hapeened to iChat...? NO iChat Update... WHAT THE HELL!!?

4830Deuce
Sep 18, 2007, 11:01 AM
I love the vertical keyboard and I type extremely fast on it. I find it more awkward to use the horizontal keyboard because of the loss of viewing room for the content.

Agree totally, the keys are much too spaced out with the horizontal configuration and I have to really stretch to do two thumb typing... The keyboard takes practice, but I know type faster on my iPhone then I ever did with my treo.... Something like 45 words a minute....

zombitronic
Sep 18, 2007, 11:01 AM
(I wonder if the iPhone and devices like it with full keyboards will put an end to that strange "LOL" speech, that's even made it's way into commercials)

God, I hope so. It's kinda funny how other phone makers advertise this. "Look at our crippled keyboard, rotflmfao!" Losers.

But seriously, just give me flash. This is a high priority missing feature. Sure iTunes WiFi Store might bring in a few bucks at a time, but flash will bring in a few hundred bucks at a time, ie. more iPhones/Touch sold. And make Safari stop crashing, please.

blademarc
Sep 18, 2007, 11:08 AM
Didn't anybody recognize the TV-out option in the iPod preferences :cool:?

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404727/

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 11:15 AM

Awesome! Plus you can turn off EDGE while roaming. Another nice feature.

justflie
Sep 18, 2007, 11:19 AM

Niiiiiiiiiice. Good catch, not sure I would have looked at the gallery otherwise.

PoitNarf
Sep 18, 2007, 11:24 AM
I just want WPA Enterprise support... is that too much to ask Apple?

ben5959
Sep 18, 2007, 11:27 AM

so is it safe to assume that update 1.1.1 in the US will have all of the functions shown here in the engadget gallery of the UK version, if so, FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!:D

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 11:31 AM
I just want WPA Enterprise support... is that too much to ask Apple?

That would be nice, then I could use it at the office without having to make a secret network :D

megfilmworks
Sep 18, 2007, 11:32 AM
Awesome! Plus you can turn off EDGE while roaming. Another nice feature.
Missed the edge off switch, which pic? That would make some people very happy.

justflie
Sep 18, 2007, 11:33 AM
What I would love is the ability to employ security certificates for wifi! My college network requires the download of these certificates and I can't do it on my iPhone. It bothers the hell outta me to be surrounded by a high-speed wifi network and be stuck using freakin EDGE! AAAAAAAAAARGH :mad:

dejo
Sep 18, 2007, 11:34 AM
Missed the edge off switch, which pic? That would make some people very happy.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404726/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/09/o2-iphone-16.jpg

chr1s60
Sep 18, 2007, 11:37 AM
I am sure Apple has at least one other app they are working on. They might be waiting to see how the software update goes for iTunes wifi before adding another app though. This will be the first "real" software update for the iPhone so I am sure Apple is going to monitor how smoothly it goes down before they attempt to rush anything else out for the phone. Depending on how this update goes, it may speed up or slow down any attempt at adding some other apps.

Oh yeah, what is this Push Mail problem people continue to bring up? I see people mention it, but nobody explains it. I use it and don't have any issues so I am curious to know what people are talking about.

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 11:43 AM
The big question is where is this update at? Are we going to see it at some point today?? :(

plumbingandtech
Sep 18, 2007, 11:48 AM
Nice catch dejo.

That is going to make some people jump for joy.

Yah apple!

compuguy1088
Sep 18, 2007, 11:50 AM
And so it begins.......who will win: the hackers?, or Apple? Only time will tell...

compuguy1088
Sep 18, 2007, 11:52 AM
I've seen Santa today.

Yea and Duke Nukem Forever is coming out next month... :rolleyes:

stagi
Sep 18, 2007, 11:57 AM
My guess is we will be waiting for this until the 28th. Lately it seems like :apple: has been releasing everything very last minute, steve said this month so the 28th will be the last friday of the month.

diddy
Sep 18, 2007, 12:01 PM

Just saw that. Freakin' awesome.

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
My guess is we will be waiting for this until the 28th. Lately it seems like :apple: has been releasing everything very last minute, steve said this month so the 28th will be the last friday of the month.

I can't wait that long!
haha :)

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 12:07 PM

apple:apple: thanks for the wifi store

but that event was useless..why did jobs have to go there for that? what a waste

From Appleinsider.com: "Jobs said [at the UK event Q&A] Apple is still working on the version of the Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store that will work with the iPhone, which hasn't launched yet but will soon be made available via an iPhone software update."

"Still working" on it could in this case mean "we'll have it out this afternoon" but I suspect it more likely means "at the very last possible moment that still fits with when on Sept. 5th I said 'later this month'".

Don't wait under water.

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 12:11 PM
Just saw that. Freakin' awesome.

TV out. Nobody caught that. I just knew they were going to add video-out this time around when I saw the new composite and component video-out cables use the dock connector and not the headphone jack.

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 12:15 PM
I've seen Santa today.

I don't doubt it. There's a about a 10-to-1 better chance of seeing Father Christmas today than there is that iPhone update.

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 12:21 PM
Yea and Duke Nukem Forever is coming out next month... :rolleyes:

It is. Duke Nukem Forever's coming out for the iPhone. :cool:

COME GET SOME

compuguy1088
Sep 18, 2007, 12:28 PM

COME GET SOME

Only if it can also play doom will it be cool...:D

Scribble1412
Sep 18, 2007, 12:30 PM
What do you guys think...

Are they going to be dominating the Alternate Activation scene with this new update or do you think iNdependence will still work?

ricosuave
Sep 18, 2007, 12:31 PM
I am so glad I didn't stay up for this event. I'm in California.

I am just curious as to why they changed the calculator icon. :confused:
Are there improved functions or something?

I like the current one better.

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 12:31 PM

COME GET SOME

Would you guys stop mentioning DNF? I used to work for the company that at the time had the publishing rights for that game -- this was already like, I don't know, 40 years into development -- and I still have nightmares about DNF release estimates.

In London, Jobs said they are "still working on" the WiFi Store for iPhone, which would mean still working on the whole update, I expect -- you know, the whole firmware version that seemed to be running just fine in London. Of course he's going to say something ambiguous because if it's not out this afternoon, people will be disappointed; if he instead said "that will be out this afternoon in the States" and there's some last minute hitch and it doesn't get out people will be angry like Jobs broke off his engagement with them or something.

So I wouldn't write it off for today, but I wouldn't bank on it, either, or as I like to say, Don't wait under water.

compuguy1088
Sep 18, 2007, 12:42 PM
Would you guys stop mentioning DNF? I used to work for the company that at the time had the publishing rights for that game -- this was already like, I don't know, 40 years into development -- and I still have nightmares about DNF release estimates.

In London, Jobs said they are "still working on" the WiFi Store for iPhone, which would mean still working on the whole update, I expect -- you know, the whole firmware version that seemed to be running just fine in London. Of course he's going to say something ambiguous because if it's not out this afternoon, people will be disappointed; if he instead said "that will be out this afternoon in the States" and there's some last minute hitch and it doesn't get out people will be angry like Jobs broke off his engagement with them or something.

So I wouldn't write it off for today, but I wouldn't bank on it, either, or as I like to say, Don't wait under water.

I mentioned it as a reference as to when the iPhone update is coming out, it is historically the best example of vaporware in the video game world, and it is still vaporware....

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
I mentioned it as a reference as to when the iPhone update is coming out, it is historically the best example of vaporware in the video game world, and it is still vaporware....

I was joking but I'll do you one better: it is the best example of vaporware in any kind of software.

riverfreak
Sep 18, 2007, 12:56 PM

Let's see. A junket to London on your private jet. Beers in some pub. Fish and chips. Good enough reasons for me!

joshkugler
Sep 18, 2007, 01:11 PM
From Appleinsider.com: "Jobs said [at the UK event Q&A] Apple is still working on the version of the Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store that will work with the iPhone, which hasn't launched yet but will soon be made available via an iPhone software update."

"Still working" on it could in this case mean "we'll have it out this afternoon" but I suspect it more likely means "at the very last possible moment that still fits with when on Sept. 5th I said 'later this month'".

Don't wait under water.

I saw that too, but I'm not sure I understand. What is there to work on? Presumably the Touch and iPhone are running the same OS, and both have the touch capabilities, so...

For lack of a better description, why can't they just bundle those iTouch apps up, and put them on the iPhone?

batmant
Sep 18, 2007, 01:14 PM
I took a look at the photos Engadget took of the iPhones running 1.1.1 and broke down 8 features that I can derive from the photos. Have a look.

http://www.digg.com/apple/iPhone_v1_1_1_Feature_Breakdown_8_and_counting

AuburnTigerr
Sep 18, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm assuming (and hoping!) that the reason the iTunes wifi store for the iPhone here in the states has not been released yet is because there are other things in the update package that still need some work. If it were just the iTunes store, you think it would have already been out because it IS already out on the iPod Touch.

clancemasterj
Sep 18, 2007, 01:46 PM
try opening an iTunes store link on the iPhone and a page will open a page that says to plug in you device and update your software. Its coming.

Benjamindaines
Sep 18, 2007, 01:50 PM
I took a look at the photos Engadget took of the iPhones running 1.1.1 and broke down 8 features that I can derive from the photos. Have a look.

http://www.digg.com/apple/iPhone_v1_1_1_Feature_Breakdown_8_and_counting

Why cant you just post a link right to thr article? I dont care that you or someone else submitted it to digg

shrimpdesign
Sep 18, 2007, 01:51 PM
I think this is the most exciting picture. Who cares about the Wifi store, making the iPhone a better phone is a worthwhile feature.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/09/o2-iphone-19.jpg

MacToddB
Sep 18, 2007, 01:56 PM
I saw that too, but I'm not sure I understand. What is there to work on? Presumably the Touch and iPhone are running the same OS, and both have the touch capabilities, so...

For lack of a better description, why can't they just bundle those iTouch apps up, and put them on the iPhone?

In this case, the iTunes WiFi Store app must run via WiFi (probably because AT&T is already frustrated that they can't sell the music/ringtones and don't want Apple using their network for that revenue). So there might need to be some coding that the iPhone needs and the iPod Touch doesn't, to restrict access to WiFi. For that matter, it might need coding related to downloading ringtones, which the iPod Touch wouldn't need.

Or, they probably don't want to overload the system, so stagger the releases. It's been a little fast and furious lately.

AmpCoder
Sep 18, 2007, 01:59 PM
try opening an iTunes store link on the iPhone and a page will open a page that says to plug in you device and update your software. Its coming.

Interesting, I never noticed that before. It does say, "You need to update your device's software in order to access the iTunes store."

"Simply sync your device to your computer and click "Check for Update" and then click this iTunes Store link again from your device when syncing is complete"

Very interesting. It shouldn't be too long now.

e-coli
Sep 18, 2007, 02:00 PM
...and one more thing. In NYC I was used to sending off a few texts while on the train and my RAZR would store them in the outbox until I got off and there was a signal to send the messages. The iPhone doesn't do this. If I write a text and it can't be sent, once I exit the SMS page the text I typed is lost. Incredibly annoying. I used to save a lot of time by writing responses while on the train.

Also annoying is iPhone's inability to send text messages to multiple recipients at once. Very inefficient.

And STILL...no copy / paste it appears.

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 02:16 PM
Also annoying is iPhone's inability to send text messages to multiple recipients at once. Very inefficient.

They're working on it - Apple's just still stumped trying to figure out how to make Finder cut and paste. ETA 4 years.

Eric Lewis
Sep 18, 2007, 02:19 PM
so is this coming> or not?

CJD2112
Sep 18, 2007, 02:22 PM

Yeah, forgot about those :). Would like to see voice dialing and Bluetooth ObEx. One cool thing that it can do is work with BluePhoneElite 2.0. I can use my Mac Pro and iSight to have a handsfree call (even tried it in Leopard 9A527, worked well), but can't send/receive text messages with it yet.

Telp
Sep 18, 2007, 02:22 PM
so is this coming> or not?

No its not. It will never arrive.

iPhone Chicago
Sep 18, 2007, 02:23 PM
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at Apple when they started determining what was going to be added to the iPhone in this latest update...something tells me the first thing someone said was "we've gotten thousands upon thousands of requests from iPhone users on what they want added to the iPhone" and the last thing someone said was "so it's decided, we'll update the calculator icon"...sadly, even the little updates make me happy.

NewtypeCJ
Sep 18, 2007, 02:23 PM
Interesting, I never noticed that before. It does say, "You need to update your device's software in order to access the iTunes store."

"Simply sync your device to your computer and click "Check for Update" and then click this iTunes Store link again from your device when syncing is complete"

Was it doing that before or is this a new thing? If it's new, then yeah it's probably coming shortly. If it's been doing that for a couple days or a week now then who knows.

Bostonian1976
Sep 18, 2007, 02:33 PM

a link where? I don't get what you guys are referring to

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 02:36 PM
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at Apple when they started determining what was going to be added to the iPhone in this latest update...something tells me the first thing someone said was "we've gotten thousands upon thousands of requests from iPhone users on what they want added to the iPhone" and the last thing someone said was "so it's decided, we'll update the calculator icon"...sadly, even the little updates make me happy.

:D :D :D

Benjamindaines
Sep 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
In this case, the iTunes WiFi Store app must run via WiFi (probably because AT&T is already frustrated that they can't sell the music/ringtones and don't want Apple using their network for that revenue). So there might need to be some coding that the iPhone needs and the iPod Touch doesn't, to restrict access to WiFi. For that matter, it might need coding related to downloading ringtones, which the iPod Touch wouldn't need.

Or, they probably don't want to overload the system, so stagger the releases. It's been a little fast and furious lately.

I think it's more of a speed issue...

NewtypeCJ
Sep 18, 2007, 02:41 PM
a link where? I don't get what you guys are referring to

For instance, at the bottom of http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/ -- there are links to songs / artists, etc. that automatically open iTunes when clicked on from a computer. If clicked on from the iPhone you get the message Amp mentioned.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 18, 2007, 02:41 PM
Thats a cool feature you can turn edge off but im mostly excited about the ipod touch's double click home button thing and a little excited about the other keboards

JorgeAHdz
Sep 18, 2007, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post

There is an iPhone bug where some playlists show you the opposite of what you expect.

For example, "Top 25 Most Played" will actually show you the "Top 25 Least Played" songs.

Until they fix that, you can create a new playlist that does things backwards. i.e. make a new one (in iTunes) that shows you the Top 25 Least Played and it'll show you the Top 25 Most Played (on your iPhone)... if that makes any sense?

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 02:48 PM

It's stated that since last week.

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post

There is an iPhone bug where some playlists show you the opposite of what you expect.

For example, "Top 25 Most Played" will actually show you the "Top 25 Least Played" songs.

Until they fix that, you can create a new playlist that does things backwards. i.e. make a new one (in iTunes) that shows you the Top 25 Least Played and it'll show you the Top 25 Most Played (on your iPhone)... if that makes any sense?

That is just weird. It seems like it would just copy the songs/playlist listing over to the iPhone and the actual calculation of what's what would take place in iTunes.

AHDuke99
Sep 18, 2007, 03:03 PM
they used the speakerphone in that demo video on apple UK. doesnt apple know that the speakerphone is useless on the iphone?

batmant
Sep 18, 2007, 03:07 PM
Why cant you just post a link right to thr article? I dont care that you or someone else submitted it to digg

sorry. i just thought i could get it dugg to the home page. here's the direct link.

http://versatile.vox.com/library/post/iphone-v111-feature-breakdown.html

MarkW19
Sep 18, 2007, 03:07 PM
I think Apple will release a BIG iPhone update - after Leopard.

This will allow them to tie in a lot of new things (or at least use the same technology, which they couldn't very well do until Leopard is released) - To-Do syncing, Coverflow for file browsing (therefore adding an accessible file-manager to the iPhone), system-wide Spotlight search, iChat update (perhaps).

It makes sense...

And, while they're at it, sort out simple things like:-

-Speaker volume too low when in anything but a silent/very quiet environment
-Ability to reduce/increase specific alert volumes and even turn them off, using the volume buttons (not just the ringer)
-Forward SMS messages
-iCal revamp inc. better repeat options, dragging to different days to duplicate or change (it's quite slow to change dates/times, too many screen to go through and it's fairly slow to respond), add to/see multiple colour-coded calendars
-Copy/paste for text and the ability to select, etc.

To be honest, before I got my iPhone I thought more things would bug me (lack of alert profiles, changeable alerts etc.)...but they don't , I've worked around most limitations - and for the most part, I love it :)

Benjamindaines
Sep 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
I think Apple will release a BIG iPhone update - after Leopard.

This will allow them to tie in a lot of new things (or at least use the same technology, which they couldn't very well do until Leopard is released) - To-Do syncing, Coverflow for file browsing (therefore adding an accessible file-manager to the iPhone), system-wide Spotlight search, iChat update (perhaps).

It makes sense...

But why can't they do that while we run Tiger :(

Eric Lewis
Sep 18, 2007, 03:16 PM
iPhone is leopard? isnt it? they said?

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 03:19 PM
iPhone is leopard? isnt it? they said?

A mobile subset of Leopard technology with special features I think. Sort of like an Xbox 360 runs on a set-top/games-console subset of Windows XP.

MarkW19
Sep 18, 2007, 03:19 PM
But why can't they do that while we run Tiger :(

Because they want to keep all of the "new technology" under wraps until Leopard is officially released? Plus the To-Do's in Mail don't currently exist, and Coverflow for files is touted as one of the major new Leopard "features", so I guess they couldn't very well introduce this stuff to the iPhone until the OS the technology is derived from, is actually released itself?

It's just a hunch...

Benjamindaines
Sep 18, 2007, 03:31 PM
Because they want to keep all of the "new technology" under wraps until Leopard is officially released? Plus the To-Do's in Mail don't currently exist, and Coverflow for files is touted as one of the major new Leopard "features", so I guess they couldn't very well introduce this stuff to the iPhone until the OS the technology is derived from, is actually released itself?

It's just a hunch...

Hmm this sounds feasible, it's my belief that Apple will put out an SDK after Leopard is out for the same reason. Maybe Dashcode will even have iPhone developing modes.

MarkW19
Sep 18, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hmm this sounds feasible, it's my belief that Apple will put out an SDK after Leopard is out for the same reason. Maybe Dashcode will even have iPhone developing modes.

I hope so! But, after installing just about everything off Installer.app to try out, I don't find 99% of it interesting/of use to me. Apart from changing the iPhone dock background to an iPod touch/Leopard mirrored one :p

The only thing I'd like to see is an MSN app, with WiFi keep-alive when the iPhone is on standby. Vibrating/alerts for msgs contacts signing in, pop ups for msgs, contacts adding/deleting blocking, files/display pictures, etc. etc. I doubt this will be in iChat - it'll just be MSN/Jabber only (and I hate jabber). So sadly it'll have to be 3rd-party, I think. I really wish Apple would implement full MSN support into iChat, because AIM mayb be the most popular in the US/Canada, but it certainly isn't outside of the US in Europe/UK!

Benjamindaines
Sep 18, 2007, 03:42 PM
I hope so! But, after installing just about everything off Installer.app to try out, I don't find 99% of it interesting/of use to me. Apart from changing the iPhone dock background to an iPod touch/Leopard mirrored one :p

Keep in mind that these are individuals developing without an SDK (much much much more difficult that with), once there is an SDK companies will start writing apps for the iPhone and you will see many more "good" apps.

Telp
Sep 18, 2007, 03:50 PM
Wait, what exactly is SDK?

bigbarr
Sep 18, 2007, 03:54 PM
Steve did say today that they were still working on the store for the iphone... I think that means we shouldn't wait around for it.

twoodcc
Sep 18, 2007, 03:54 PM
Bring it on Apple

my thoughts exactly

MarkW19
Sep 18, 2007, 03:55 PM
Keep in mind that these are individuals developing without an SDK (much much much more difficult that with), once there is an SDK companies will start writing apps for the iPhone and you will see many more "good" apps.

True :)

MarkW19
Sep 18, 2007, 03:58 PM
Wait, what exactly is SDK?

Software Developers Kit - allows developers (third-party) the necessary tools/information to have access to the APIs (Application Programming Interface) so they can use all of the devices hardware etc. in their apps - ie. vibrate, integrating across different apps, etc.

At least that's my interpretation of it?

Bostonian1976
Sep 18, 2007, 04:06 PM
it's 5PM EST! Is it out?!

AuburnTigerr
Sep 18, 2007, 04:12 PM
Unfortunately not :(

Benjamindaines
Sep 18, 2007, 04:13 PM

You got me all excited, I thought you said "It is out!"

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 04:20 PM
You got me all excited, I thought you said "It is out!"

I thought he said the same thing! Darn it!!

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 04:21 PM

No, he's right, if it's 5PM EST, it must be out. 5PM EST is about 45 days into the future, and I sure hope it's out by then. Because right this moment it's actually just after 5PM E*D*T.

All kidding aside, if it's an end-of-day release, it'll be end-of-day Pacific Time, Apple headquarters.

macduke
Sep 18, 2007, 04:27 PM
At about what time did the last two updates come out? I didn't find out until night last time because I had class.

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 04:29 PM
At about what time did the last two updates come out? I didn't find out until night last time because I had class.

You know, seriously, I think they were both on Tuesdays late in the afternoon Pacific Time. Not that it necessarily means anything for today.

Bradley W
Sep 18, 2007, 04:40 PM
_

Bostonian1976
Sep 18, 2007, 04:41 PM
nope the last updates were at 5 est I'm pretty sure

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
Sorry if I'm a little late.. but, Are we expecting an update TODAY? I know it's Tuesday and all, but is their info that I missed that tells us that 1.1.1 is coming today? :apple:

GTiPhone
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I've been out of the loop for a while (too busy playing with my iPhone as it is :p) but is the iTunes wifi music store ONLY work over wifi, or will it work over edge as well? Because even though it would be slow you could still download a 2 or 3 meg song pretty quickly.

kbrain2929
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I've been out of the loop for a while (too busy playing with my iPhone as it is :p) but is the iTunes wifi music store ONLY work over wifi, or will it work over edge as well? Because even though it would be slow you could still download a 2 or 3 meg song pretty quickly.

WiFi only

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
All kidding aside, if it's an end-of-day release, it'll be end-of-day Pacific Time, Apple headquarters.

That means that we have only two hours to find out. My verdict: Not a chance it's gonna happen.:(

AuburnTigerr
Sep 18, 2007, 05:19 PM
That means that we have only two hours to find out. My verdict: Not a chance it's gonna happen.:(

I'm beginning to agree with you. Sad.

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'm beginning to agree with you. Sad.

Also, who else is getting tired of seeing this??
http://geocities.com/gusapple92/screeniphone.jpg

AuburnTigerr
Sep 18, 2007, 05:21 PM

Hahaha yes!

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 05:22 PM

Extremely tired....another day...another "I already have the current version 1.0.2"

ben5959
Sep 18, 2007, 05:27 PM

thats hilarious, ive literally checked it every 30 min hoping that i could be one of the first ones, allowing me to break the wonderful news to all the die hard iphone enthusiasts, alas, i'm getting nauseous at the sight of that stupid pop up:(

kennyboy3
Sep 18, 2007, 05:44 PM
I hate that pop-up.

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 05:48 PM
thats hilarious, ive literally checked it every 30 min hoping that i could be one of the first ones, allowing me to break the wonderful news to all the die hard iphone enthusiasts, alas, i'm getting nauseous at the sight of that stupid pop up:(

I agree! But I'm at the office so it makes it sooo much worse... BLUE!!! AHHH! :eek:

http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/BA/04/A4/iBA04A4DA-91E1-4E7A-A035-F29C6C68DE1C.jpg

I'd much rather be using my :apple:

ZooCrewMan
Sep 18, 2007, 06:10 PM
Can you believe that monitoring this forum is 1000 times more entertaining than paying attention to my biology professor right now?

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 06:12 PM
Can you believe that monitoring this forum is 1000 times more entertaining than paying attention to my biology professor right now?

LMAO... been there... slept through that! :apple:

ZooCrewMan
Sep 18, 2007, 06:16 PM
LMAO... been there... slept through that! :apple:

I would be sleeping if we were in lecture, but we're in lab. Kind of hard to be inconspicuous while sleeping in the lab.

shane1598
Sep 18, 2007, 06:23 PM
This may have been discussed already, but what is the button on the new keyboard? I circled it below.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h208/karen1980/keyboard.jpg

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 06:25 PM
This may have been discussed already, but what is the button on the new keyboard? I circled it below.

It's international languages.

chr1s60
Sep 18, 2007, 06:26 PM
I don't think we are gonna get an update today. It was too obvious that everyone would expect it to happen today because of the whole Apple announcement earlier today and it being a Tuesday, but it seems unlikely now. Haven't all the updates been on Tuesdays? If so, I would think if it isn't released today then it will be next week.

ZooCrewMan

Looks like the at symbol

kbrain2929
I would be sleeping if we were in lecture, but we're in lab. Kind of hard to be inconspicuous while sleeping in the lab.

I think I slept 90% of the time through my meteorology 101 class. Ah... good times. :cool: Anyway... does ANYONE have news on when we can expect this update? I'm getting tired of pressing check for updates every 10 minutes. lol. :apple:

AHDuke99
Sep 18, 2007, 06:27 PM
I don't think we are gonna get an update today. It was too obvious that everyone would expect it to happen today because of the whole Apple announcement earlier today and it being a Tuesday, but it seems unlikely now. Haven't all the updates been on Tuesdays? If so, I would think if it isn't released today then it will be next week.

we wont see it till september 28th. when steve says later this month, he means as late as possible.

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 06:27 PM
Looks like the at symbol

Maybe that's gonna be on the UK version only. Other than that... who knows! Time will tell. :apple:

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 06:29 PM
we wont see it till september 28th. when steve says later this month, he means as late as possible.

when did he say that? I don't recall hearing about that. :apple:

bigbossbmb
Sep 18, 2007, 06:30 PM

You mean like iPod Touches are shipping by the end of the month? :rolleyes:

My phone arrives tomorrow... I'm very excited.

ZooCrewMan
Sep 18, 2007, 06:31 PM
I think I slept 90% of the time through my meteorology 101 class. Ah... good times. :cool: Anyway... does ANYONE have news on when we can expect this update? I'm getting tired of pressing check for updates every 10 minutes. lol. :apple:

A better question would be "does ANYONE EVER know what apple is going to do before they do it?"

shane1598
Sep 18, 2007, 06:32 PM
It's international languages.

Why wouldn’t a button like that just be in the settings? Are there people writing in more than one language that frequently? Are we switching keyboards on the fly here?

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 06:33 PM
A better question would be "does ANYONE EVER know what apple is going to do before they do it?"

mmm nope not at all! I can't stand it anymore and it sounds like i am not the only one......btw zoo man...pay attention to school!

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 06:35 PM
Why wouldn’t a button like that just be in the settings? Are there people writing in more than one language that frequently? Are we switching keyboards on the fly here?

When I think about it, I think that it isn't, but only the update will tell what it is. Also, there is a possibility that, as previously stated, this is just for UK iPhones. It is on the UK page.:D

shane1598
Sep 18, 2007, 06:37 PM
Looks like the at symbol

no it looks more like a globe or world symbol...

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 06:38 PM

Steve also said that the iPod Touch was coming out later too. And when did it come out? September 14.:)

ZooCrewMan
Sep 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
mmm nope not at all! I can't stand it anymore and it sounds like i am not the only one......btw zoo man...pay attention to school!

But I don't want to! We're doing a lab on diffusion across a cellular membrane. Snore...

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 06:42 PM
But I don't want to! We're doing a lab on diffusion across a cellular membrane. Snore...

I would have fallen alseep as soon as I heard topic of the day!

No update still :(

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 06:45 PM
Steve also said that the iPod Touch was coming out later too. And when did it come out? September 14.:)

And look how good those turned out. :D

Negative black!

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 06:47 PM

Negative black!

Touché.;)

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 06:47 PM

Ohhhh... good point! That just shed a little light on the possibality of a late update. It's happened before! :apple:

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 06:49 PM

Negative black!

DAMN! That hurt the possibality! :( :apple:

ftrtrk
Sep 18, 2007, 06:53 PM
I keep pressing the "Check for Update" button and it delayed for a split second...my heart fluttered. Then it informed me of the bad news...I have the current version...BALLS

:rolleyes:

bxlewi1
Sep 18, 2007, 06:54 PM
DAMN! That hurt the possibality! :( :apple:

Negative black isn't so bad... At least next to...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d5/Sirius_Black_Order_of_the_Phoenix_Poster.jpg/220px-Sirius_Black_Order_of_the_Phoenix_Poster.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Black:rolleyes:

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 06:57 PM
Negative black isn't so bad... At least next to...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d5/Sirius_Black_Order_of_the_Phoenix_Poster.jpg/220px-Sirius_Black_Order_of_the_Phoenix_Poster.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Black:rolleyes:

lol... But... if you recall... Black DIES! :eek: :p :D Hmmm.... *checks for update* nope.:apple:

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 07:00 PM
Sorry to say it, but I don't think that it's coming out today. :(:(:(:(:(:(

Eric Lewis
Sep 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
its coming tommorow!

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 07:04 PM
its coming tommorow!

sources?

bxlewi1
Sep 18, 2007, 07:04 PM
its coming tommorow!

Ahhh but it's tomorrow somewhere already isn't it?

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 07:05 PM
its coming tommorow!

Everyday goes by and everyone says "it's going to be tomorrow"

jasonbuzz
its coming tommorow!

OK see you all back here same time tomorrow :)

ZooCrewMan
its coming tommorow!

that's what everyone said Thursday. I'm not listening to any of you ever again!

Fuchal
Sep 18, 2007, 07:07 PM
It's going to be released on Thursday alongside the new 12" G5 Powerbook.

Djmx
Sep 18, 2007, 07:08 PM
lol my guess is Later on Tonight.. or tomorrow Morning... i WANT iCHAT!!! DAMM IT APPLE PUT iCHAT ALREADY!!!

sanford
Sep 18, 2007, 07:08 PM

I'd usually agree on that one. And you can also make the case the later they release it the later they have to release another feature update to keep people happy. But since the WiFi Music Store is in this one, they're losing revenue on the largest installed base of compatible devices for this service every minute we don't have it.

I've written at length on this in another thread, but I think we'll get this just as soon as they meet one criterion: they're convinced they broke anySIM and a couple of the less-popular, less-easy unlocks. ATT has to be all the way up their asses about killing anySIM, and they didn't even get a shot at it until the new firmware would have been already certified for release. I mean, it was what, last Saturday? Appleinsider reported they had a source stating firmware release on Monday. Of course that's unconfirmed; it's a rumor site. But since Jobs took 1.1.1 iPhones with him to a London press events -- leaking the new features, maybe the first time in the history of Apple Jobs himself is the leak -- I bet they absolutely planned to get it out yesterday or today. Would have tied in close time to the iPod touches getting in the wild with WiFi Store support. The other unlocks are a nuisance. anySIM is a real problem.

So I bet this update will come out any day, any time they feel they've either placated ATT enough to let them go ahead and release 1.1.1 even though it won't break anySIM and then follow up with an anySIM whacker as soon as possible, or they break anySIM.

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 07:10 PM
that's what everyone said Thursday. I'm not listening to any of you ever again!

I am right with you Zoo! I am not listening to anyone again!

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 07:18 PM
Ok... while we wait for the stupid update... I though I'd share this with you...
BE WARNED: IT'S SCARY...

http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/55/3D/55/i553D5562-A537-4A6A-9148-C71FA1017BB0.jpg

YOU KNOW THEY DID IT ON PURPOSE!!! And, this wouldn't happen if I had brought my MacBook Pro to the office today! Only 45 min. to go! :apple:

KindredMAC
Sep 18, 2007, 07:26 PM
I've got it on good source that the iPhone update will be tomorrow.....

....along with the PowerBook G5's.

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 07:27 PM

Powerbook G5's! wow! Mommy... can I have one?? :apple:

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 07:27 PM
Has this site been recently updated?

http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/wifistore.html

I just saw an ad on the apple start page about the wifi itunes store on ipod touch and iphone it was advertising

skillz1318
Sep 18, 2007, 07:29 PM

I just saw an ad on the apple start page about the wifi itunes store on ipod touch and iphone it was advertising

yeah, i really think it used to say iphone (coming soon) when they advertised the wifi music store....i hope it comes out tonight!

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
yeah, i really think it used to say iphone (coming soon) when they advertised the wifi music store....i hope it comes out tonight!

It DID say coming soon! It's official! All on RED alert! Update is imminate! :p :apple:

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 07:34 PM

Nah, they took off the banners that said "Coming Soon" when they released the iPod Touch. Too bad, though.

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 07:41 PM
Nah, they took off the banners that said "Coming Soon" when they released the iPod Touch. Too bad, though.

:( Me-Crying :( ;) :apple:

Edit: Check the iPhone page... see what it says.

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 07:41 PM

Are you sure? this is the first time I saw the ad on on the start page advertising both the iphone touch for wifi itunes!

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 07:43 PM
Are you sure? this is the first time I saw the ad on on the start page advertising both the iphone touch for wifi itunes!

Now... I thought something looked weird. It's still psossible, maybe. Are you sure it was for iPhone AND iPod Touch? If so... cool! :apple:

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 07:46 PM
Now... I thought something looked weird. It's still psossible, maybe. Are you sure it was for iPhone AND iPod Touch? If so... cool! :apple:

Yea go here

http://www.apple.com/startpage/

and the upper left ad is the keynote video then it changes for the ad of the wifi itunes of the iphone and ipod touch...

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yea go here

http://www.apple.com/startpage/

and the upper left ad is the keynote video then it changes for the ad of the wifi itunes of the iphone and ipod touch...

Sweet! I've never really noticed that whole icon period. :rolleyes: Go figure it'd be the one to show a hint! :apple:

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 07:48 PM
http://images.apple.com/iphone/images/index_iphone_hero20070905.jpg
As long as it says this, I'm gonna stay firm with my belief that it's not coming out today. :o

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
As long as it says this, I'm gonna stay firm with my belief that it's not coming out today. :o

Dips head and sobs like little girl... :apple:

Eric Lewis
Sep 18, 2007, 08:01 PM
it will come out tommorow

i guarintee

n00basaur
Sep 18, 2007, 08:01 PM
It's already 6pst it ain't coming out today.

kbrain2929
Sep 18, 2007, 08:04 PM
Well.... I'm calling it a night. Headin' home to see the wifey. Night all! **waiting for the damn update!**:apple:

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 08:05 PM
i guarintee

Sorry, I can't take those anymore, I trusted a guy on a thread about the September 5th announcements named Don Bagles, he promised a ton of things would happen, which most did but that is besides the point. He then got banned. I set out looking for him and found him in AppleInsider forums. He admitted to lying to us great people. I bet you are a cool person, but nobody has a guarantee. Unless you work at Apple in the iPhone R&D area.:)

acocke
Sep 18, 2007, 08:10 PM
I have been waiting for this update for a long time since i got the iphone july 29, ill keep my head up tonight but i do hope it is tomorrow if not then it has to be sometime this week like thursday or friday gosh i hope, better be before the new OS comes out lol:D

sh4ne
Sep 18, 2007, 09:11 PM
damnit the home page got me.

its not here :(

ahand
Sep 18, 2007, 09:16 PM
damnit the home page got me.

its not here :(

same here.

iPhone Chicago
Sep 18, 2007, 09:16 PM
I find myself actually jealous of Windows Update...those people get like 15 updates a day! Oh well, just think of all that fun we'll have playing with our Dutch and Portuguese keyboards...but not really. Maybe they'll surprise us with a tip calculator or something ;(

MRiggs
Sep 18, 2007, 09:20 PM
I think nobody registered that they changed also the "weather"-Icon :eek:

(from http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/hands-on-with-the-o2-iphone/ )

It`s the first change for the german version of the :apple:iPhone ;)
(with 23°C, not 73°F).

cool!

ZooCrewMan
Sep 18, 2007, 09:25 PM

i guarintee

How do you know? How can you gurantee it? Do you work for Apple? Are you the one who is going to post the update to the servers?

gusnyc
Sep 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
I feel disappointed. I don't think it will be tomorrow... I bet it will be at the end of the month (sadly).

There is any reason to release it tomorrow?

MRiggs
Sep 18, 2007, 09:34 PM
We have to wait a little "bit" more... :)
but it`s on the way...:rolleyes:

It`s very quiet at the moment (and very early in the morning here in Germany...)-
what do you think about this:

MacFly123
Sep 18, 2007, 09:44 PM
The only feature I need is MMS texting. Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party app yet to do that??? I have tried the whole email to the phones carrier thing and it doesnt ever work.

ZooCrewMan
Sep 18, 2007, 09:44 PM
We have to wait a little "bit" more... :)
but it`s on the way...:rolleyes:

It`s very quiet at the moment (and very early in the morning here in Germany...)-
what do you think about this:

I like Photoshop...it lets you believe anything you want

MRiggs
Sep 18, 2007, 09:51 PM
maybe...
try to connect to the iTunes store at the moment :rolleyes:

Bernie-Mac
Sep 18, 2007, 10:03 PM
I think nobody registered that they changed also the "weather"-Icon :eek:

(from http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/hands-on-with-the-o2-iphone/ )

It`s the first change for the german version of the :apple:iPhone ;)
(with 23°C, not 73°F).

cool!

Thats because in europe they use a celsius temperature scale, dont expect a new weather icon with the next update

nato64
Sep 18, 2007, 10:49 PM

HAHAHAHAHA

I almost died when I read that. I thought us old farts were replaced by people who don't know that the 1st iPod actually had a rotating wheel and the breakout game was a secret feature.

In any case, I really should be working on my film sound design essay due tomorrow. But what am I doing instead? Pressing "Check for Update". Sheesh...

ZooCrewMan
Sep 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
Can anyone else check for updates? It keeps telling me that iTunes can't contact the update server...??????!!!!!!

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 11:10 PM
Can anyone else check for updates? It keeps telling me that iTunes can't contact the update server...??????!!!!!!

i just tried to update and no luck zooman! I'm giving up for the night and going to bed!

Eric Lewis
Sep 19, 2007, 06:31 AM
it will be here today

u will see

sanford
Sep 19, 2007, 07:03 AM
it will be here today

u will see

Eric, I have no reason to disbelieve your assurance, but you are starting to freak me out Mothman Prophecies style... "You will know... In time."

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 08:13 AM
it will be here today

u will see

Okay Eric! What makes you soo confident?

gusnyc
Sep 19, 2007, 09:46 AM
OK, so... let's play a little here. When do you think the update will be released?

I bet the update will come on Tuesday 25th. No specific reason.

I just don't want to keep checking every three minutes to see if I find news about the update somewhere.

Your bets?

Gus

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 10:30 AM
OK, so... let's play a little here. When do you think the update will be released?

I bet the update will come on Tuesday 25th. No specific reason.

I just don't want to keep checking every three minutes to see if I find news about the update somewhere.

Your bets?

Gus

I think it's going to be today...i have a feeling! :)

persianpunisher
Sep 19, 2007, 01:05 PM
I would guess Nov 9, the date the Euro ipods hit stores...

DeathChill
Sep 19, 2007, 01:28 PM
I would guess Nov 9, the date the Euro ipods hit stores...
Except the fact that Steve Jobs already said it would be sometime this month.

cliffardo2001
Sep 19, 2007, 01:54 PM

I'm glad someone has pointed out what Steve Jobs has already stated on the 5th of this month. How can you know about the European release dates, but not even know when Jobs said an iPhone update would be arriving?

That being said, I suppose what upsets me the most about not having yet received the update is that I would think Apple should treat it's iPhone users with more respect: we paid more for our product, and it's its premiere mobile device. Why only allow the iPod touch users to have something first while the more dedicated iPhone adopters will be left with leftovers?

aristobrat
Sep 19, 2007, 02:13 PM
Why only allow the iPod touch users to have something first while the more dedicated iPhone adopters will be left with leftovers?
The iPhone is under a huge magnifying glass. The press blows pretty much anything having to do with it out of proportion.

So if I was rolling out a new service (Wi-Fi iTunes store), even if I thought I had it nailed down pretty good, if I had the option of (a) making it available to one million plus users all at once, or (b) rolling it out at a much slower rate on a device that isn't under so much media scrutiny (i.e. there's probably nowhere near one million touch users at this point), I'd choose (b).

And when I was good and sure it was ready for the masses, then I'd let the iPhone users have it.

Logical?

cliffardo2001
Sep 19, 2007, 02:16 PM
The iPhone is under a huge magnifying glass. The press blows pretty much anything having to do with it out of proportion.

So if I was rolling out a new service (Wi-Fi iTunes store), even if I thought I had it nailed down pretty good, if I had the option of (a) making it available to one million plus users all at once, or (b) rolling it out at a much slower rate on a device that isn't under so much media scrutiny (i.e. there's probably nowhere near one million touch users at this point), I'd choose (b).

And when I was good and sure it was ready for the masses, then I'd let the iPhone users have it.

Logical?

I understand what you're saying and it makes sense. I'm just flustered and impatient, lol.

kbrain2929
Sep 19, 2007, 02:18 PM
I understand what you're saying and it makes sense. I'm just flustered and impatient, lol.

I don't know though... you never know! That one person may be waiting for the iTunes WiFi Music Store to even buy an iPhone. You know! You just don't know what people think. :apple:

Benjamindaines
Sep 19, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm glad someone has pointed out what Steve Jobs has already stated on the 5th of this month. How can you know about the European release dates, but not even know when Jobs said an iPhone update would be arriving?

That being said, I suppose what upsets me the most about not having yet received the update is that I would think Apple should treat it's iPhone users with more respect: we paid more for our product, and it's its premiere mobile device. Why only allow the iPod touch users to have something first while the more dedicated iPhone adopters will be left with leftovers?

You're forgetting that the iPod touch isn't even supposed to be out yet, Jobs said it would come on the 28th. You can start bitching after the 28t, but until then understand that any update for the iPhone regarding the WiFi store is early.

cliffardo2001
Sep 19, 2007, 02:29 PM
You're forgetting that the iPod touch isn't even supposed to be out yet, Jobs said it would come on the 28th. You can start bitching after the 28t, but until then understand that any update for the iPhone regarding the WiFi store is early.

But, I thought that's what we do here: bitch!

Boomer85
Sep 19, 2007, 03:37 PM
This is really depressing...

All this talk about maybe Wifi iTunes is not 100% there yet for the iPhone is ridiculous...as others have said, if they released the Touch as early as they did, with a functional Wifi iTunes...then it must be ready.

Others saying how Apple should reward us early adopters with the latest and great firmware updates before anyone else (Touch users; overseas iPhone users; etc...) is what Apple should do.

I'm not bitching, I just hate having my hopes crushed on some new enhancements to the phone, everytime I check the forums.

Ok enough of the 9-page recap...come on Apple...we've dumped a lot of coin into this mofo and I'd like to have all the new things before you go out and demo future iPhones for overseas. Don't tease us with these screenshots ($100 store credit page) of new firmware versions, or UK iPhones showing TV outs, etc...

Hook a brother up, SJ!

cliffardo2001
Sep 19, 2007, 03:40 PM
This is really depressing...

All this talk about maybe Wifi iTunes is not 100% there yet for the iPhone is ridiculous...as others have said, if they released the Touch as early as they did, with a functional Wifi iTunes...then it must be ready.

Others saying how Apple should reward us early adopters with the latest and great firmware updates before anyone else (Touch users; overseas iPhone users; etc...) is what Apple should do.

I'm not bitching, I just hate having my hopes crushed on some new enhancements to the phone, everytime I check the forums.

Ok enough of the 9-page recap...come on Apple...we've dumped a lot of coin into this mofo and I'd like to have all the new things before you go out and demo future iPhones for overseas. Don't tease us with these screenshots ($100 store credit page) of new firmware versions, or UK iPhones showing TV outs, etc...

Hook a brother up, SJ!

Amen!

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 05:57 PM
okay...so another day....where is this thing at?? a lot of people have been saying 9/19...but as of right now I see nothing! AHHHHHHHH

Telp
Sep 19, 2007, 06:00 PM
okay...so another day....where is this thing at?? a lot of people have been saying 9/19...but as of right now I see nothing! AHHHHHHHH

Uhh i really dont think that many people have been saying 9/19, but besides that, people are just saying that to get there hopes up, the 25th sounds logical, either way, it'll get here when it gets here, in the meantime, enjoy your iphone!!

gusnyc
Sep 19, 2007, 06:01 PM
"I'd like to have all the new things before you go out and demo future iPhones for overseas. Don't tease us with these screenshots ($100 store credit page) of new firmware versions, or UK iPhones showing TV outs, etc..."

I totally agree with that. I think Apple may be holding up the update to give the Touch a little advantage at launch. That is the only device that can access the Wi-Fi Store.

Is that too crazy to think?

Gus
PS, I am still refreshing... but I am loosing my faith on the update this week...

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 06:06 PM
so I keep pressing refresh...i guess we have another hour before its 5pm in the west coast time...I dunno why i am soo enthralled in this new firmware update....i just cannot wait for it!

ZooCrewMan
Sep 19, 2007, 06:19 PM

I would be inclined to believe you, except, a lot of people said Thursday. Then a lot of people said Friday. Then a lot of people...well, you get the idea...

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 06:22 PM
I would be inclined to believe you, except, a lot of people said Thursday. Then a lot of people said Friday. Then a lot of people...well, you get the idea...

It ain't looking good zoo...looks like another night of nothing...

jasonbuzz
Sep 19, 2007, 06:30 PM
it will be here today

u will see

OK where is it buddy?!

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 06:44 PM

I keep seeing this and I am getting sick of this image! Is anyone else tired of it?

ZooCrewMan
Sep 19, 2007, 06:48 PM

I keep seeing this and I am getting sick of this image! Is anyone else tired of it?

Very much so! Those damned people who keep posting it on this forum!!! j/k

ZooCrewMan
Sep 19, 2007, 06:56 PM
Here's a question...Why is everyone so confident that the next update will be 1.1.1? What evidence do you have that that will be the next update? The only thing we know, it that there is a version of the iPhone software out there with version 1.1.1. If you look at Mac OS X Service Pack 5 (err, I mean "Leopard"), it should have been out by now...But it isn't. Just because 1.1.1 is out there, doesn't mean it's coming soon, or that it will be the next update...

aristobrat
Sep 19, 2007, 07:08 PM
Here's a question...Why is everyone so confident that the next update will be 1.1.1? What evidence do you have that that will be the next update? The only thing we know, it that there is a version of the iPhone software out there with version 1.1.1. If you look at Mac OS X Service Pack 5 (err, I mean "Leopard"), it should have been out by now...But it isn't. Just because 1.1.1 is out there, doesn't mean it's coming soon, or that it will be the next update...
Weak supposition at best. And your Leopard analogy would work better if Apple had let the press work "hands on" with Macs running Leopard (including photographing it), like they did the other day with the iPhone + WiFi Store (and other 1.1.1 updates). :D

persianpunisher
Sep 19, 2007, 09:24 PM

my bad, had no idea he stated this... wow... so its soon then, eh?

Fuchal
Sep 19, 2007, 09:45 PM
I predict that it will either be last-minute this Friday, or last-minute next Friday.

javaGuru
Sep 19, 2007, 09:49 PM
I predict that it will either be last-minute this Friday, or last-minute next Friday.

I predict that it will be sometime after tonight, or after tomorrow night, or maybe after this coming saturday, or after this coming sunday, or ......

javaGuru
Sep 19, 2007, 09:59 PM
I think it's going to be today...i have a feeling! :)

How are you feeling about tomorrow? :)

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 10:04 PM
How are you feeling about tomorrow? :)

uggh! I can't take it anymore!!! I'm going to have to call Steven tomorrow! I am not feeling tomorrow at all! I have a feeling it's going to be sometime at the end of next week! sorry guys! :(

cjosee
Sep 19, 2007, 10:17 PM
Sorry, i have to remove the pic.

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 10:21 PM
Miren esto

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85461&d=1190256308
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85460&d=1190256308

HOW?!?!

BLACK MAC
Sep 19, 2007, 10:24 PM
How did you get that update? I checked and its not there. :(

dfnj123
Sep 19, 2007, 10:29 PM
Miren esto

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85460&d=1190256308FAKE... the calculator icon is changed and the icon for the wifi music store has been shown on the right (not the left) of every picture.

You had me for a sec though :p

EDIT - NVM... it's a flipped image...

javaGuru
Sep 19, 2007, 10:31 PM
Miren esto

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85460&d=1190256308

What the fudge?!? This is definitely a trick. As far as I know there is NO update available yet.

BLACK MAC
Sep 19, 2007, 10:31 PM
FAKE... the calculator icon is changed and the icon for the wifi music store has been shown on the right (not the left) of every picture.

That's because he is using his web cam so the imaged is mirrored. It's on the correct side, right above the ipod button.

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 10:32 PM
FAKE... the calculator icon is changed and the icon for the wifi music store has been shown on the right (not the left) of every picture.

I thought it was a flipped image....I dunno what to say here....was it photoshopped?!!

javaGuru
Sep 19, 2007, 10:33 PM

He obviously took the picture while standing in front of a mirror which would explain the flipped image.

dfnj123
Sep 19, 2007, 10:33 PM
That's because he is using his web cam so the imaged is mirrored. It's on the correct side, right above the ipod button.

I know............

javaGuru
Sep 19, 2007, 10:36 PM
So, who thinks this photo is real and who thinks it's a fake. I am currently leaning towards it being a fake.

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 10:37 PM
I know............

yea we know it was a reversed image....so what did this dude do here? there is absolutely no update yet....

ijohn3
Sep 19, 2007, 10:38 PM
So, who thinks this photo is real and who thinks it's a fake. I am currently leaning towards it being a fake.

I say its definitely fake unless we get some more concrete evidence!

dfnj123
Sep 19, 2007, 10:39 PM
my idea... just placed a fake app there by hacking.... that couldn't be that hard

cjosee
Sep 19, 2007, 10:39 PM
i take this pic with the camera of my macbook :)

javaGuru
Sep 19, 2007, 10:40 PM
yea we know it was a reversed image....so what did this dude do here? there is absolutely no update yet....

My guess is that it was photoshopped...

gusapple
Sep 19, 2007, 10:40 PM
:):Di take this pic with the camera of my macbook :)

That does not answer how the update has happened.

javaGuru
Sep 19, 2007, 10:41 PM

I bet you have photoshop on your macbook also huh?!? :)

ijohn3

How did you get this update already?! We don't believe you that this is a real image!

dfnj123
cjosee, TELL US THE TRUTH... :p

gusapple
Sep 19, 2007, 10:43 PM

Yeah, I promise that I won't do anything. You did nothing wrong if you did Photoshop it. In fact, it gave me hope, more than the other 100 posts saying "it will come out tomorrow, I promise":p The guy is about to say something.

cjosee
Sep 19, 2007, 10:44 PM

Sorry i can loose my frined, can't tell how do i ged the update

javaGuru
Sep 19, 2007, 10:45 PM
anyone else notice now much dimmer the icon of the wifi itunes icon is to the rest of the icons on the screen? If he wanted to photoshop that icon on his image it would be relatively easy to do considering there is the perfect image of the icon on apple's website.

gusapple
Sep 19, 2007, 10:45 PM
Sorry i can loose my frined, can't tell how do i ged the update

Can you give us hope? When? When does it comew out? Please, PLEASE! I won't be able to fall asleep if I don't know. (For some reason:confused:)

anyone else notice now much dimmer the icon of the wifi itunes icon is to the rest of the icons on the screen? If he wanted to photoshop that icon on his image it would be relatively easy to do considering there is the perfect image of the icon on apple's website.

Oh yeah, I just noticed the arrow isn't as lit up as everything else. But, it's all good. :)