Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
England
Hi

Does anybody know if the iPod touch can read PDFs? Perhaps I'm odd but I'm considering getting one for use mostly as a portable web browser and ebook reader.

Also, does the 8/16GB indicate "free" memory, or is part of that taken up with OS X?

Finally, is it safe to assume that the touch will be hacked pretty soon so I'll be able to install homebrew apps? Would be cool to have a VNC client on the touch to remotely control my iMac :)

Edit: Does the touch offer access to its filesystem? For example, could I download an MP3 and store it for later playing?

Thanks in advance!

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
it can read PDF, inside safari, download pdf from internet, there is no independent PDF reader

8G model give you 7.23G accessible space

hacks will be soon, but not sure it will meet your various needs.

no file manager, no file system access, even when you plug it to computer, there is no "DISK MODE"

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
It will be hacked for homebrew, then you can browse the file system on it with MobileFinder (which im assuming will work on the Touch once its hacked).

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Apart from within Safari, there's an eBook reader for the iPhone which I hope will be ported.

Otherwise, all apps on your Mac (have a look in Safari if you're using it now) have an option when you Print, select the PDF drop down menu and choose Save PDF to iPhoto.

This will convert anything into a PDF (eg, this web page) and then save it as a series of sequential jpg images to upload via iPhoto/iTunes to iPhone/Touch and view as normal 'photos' with zoom in/out etc. Or do the same with an actual PDF. The images are sequential so you can save multi-page PDFs (eg, from Preview) in this way and have all the pages list and display in order in your photo album.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.