PDA

View Full Version : Genius Appointment Today 'bout Screen, but at Different Apple Store than it was Bough

astrostu
Sep 18, 2007, 12:16 PM
My screen's bad, so I've arranged an appointment for this afternoon at a local Apple Store (5-10 minutes from my apartment). I've prepped photos, movies, web pages, and a YouTube video to show the guy how the blacks are all nice 'n' shimmery.

However, this is at a different Apple Store than I bought it (the one I bought it at is ~40 minutes away). Do you guys think I'd have any issue getting a full refund from the local one even though it's not the one I bought it from?

I'm going to ask for a refund because I was just notified that my pre-order is shipping and should be here on Friday, so I'd like to not deal with the hassle of just sending that one back unopened and see if its screen is good.

Anyone think I'd have a problem with this scenario?

aristobrat
Sep 18, 2007, 12:19 PM
Refunds typically involve a restock fee, although the manager may waive that for you. I wouldn't mention the reason you're doing it though (because of your other touch having shipped).

You can visit any Genius bar. You're not limited just to the one from the store you purchased from. :)

astrostu
Sep 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
Refunds typically involve a restock fee, although the manager may waive that for you. I wouldn't mention the reason you're doing it though (because of your other touch having shipped).

You can visit any Genius bar. You're not limited just to the one from the store you purchased from. :)

I'm hoping they'll waive the restock fee because it's a defective unit - or if that's how they say it's supposed to look then it's a defective product in general. Thus, I shouldn't have to pay 10% for their screw-up. Plus other folks on the forum have said that when they went to a Genius their restocking fee was waived.

I was just worried that since it's in a different city and the sales tax was different there might be some bureaucratic issue.

Arisian
Sep 18, 2007, 12:30 PM
its going to suck if your new ipod sucks as bad as the one your refunded.... but oh well..

Mine is being shipped today as well and will be sent right back with a prerefund I set up w/ apple

thanks,
Arisian

madmaxmedia
Sep 18, 2007, 12:42 PM
I'm hoping they'll waive the restock fee because it's a defective unit - or if that's how they say it's supposed to look then it's a defective product in general. Thus, I shouldn't have to pay 10% for their screw-up. Plus other folks on the forum have said that when they went to a Genius their restocking fee was waived.

I was just worried that since it's in a different city and the sales tax was different there might be some bureaucratic issue.

Some people have actually eaten the re-stock fee. Although now maybe more Geniuses have heard about the problem, so hopefully they'll waive the fee.

Antimatter
Sep 18, 2007, 12:57 PM
Hmm, Off topic, but are all Apple stores called Genius Bars?

aristobrat
Sep 18, 2007, 01:08 PM
Hmm, Off topic, but are all Apple stores called Genius Bars?
Most Apple stores have several "bars" (counters, in most stores) where they provide services.

Genius Bar = where you go to get your Apple stuff fixed/looked at.
Creative Studio = where you go for one-on-one training and workshops.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/
http://www.apple.com/retail/onetoone/

astrostu
Sep 18, 2007, 06:14 PM
Well, I took it in and the "Genius" hadn't even seen a Touch, much less heard about the screen issues. So I showed him in a movie and photo. For some reason they seem to have YouTube blocked in their store since I couldn't access it.

But he didn't see it. He had no idea what I was talking about. He went back and showed it to his boss. He came back out and said his boss said they're all like that, and the iPod Touch screen is very different from the iPhone screen. I was like, "um, not according to Steve's keynote." But he said because they're all like that I'd have to pay the 10% restocking fee.

I told him that I was going to keep onto it for another week (my 14 days are up next Friday) and see if Apple issues any kind of statement on it. He said that's fine, and that I could come back and talk to another Genius, but to maybe come in after 13 days just in case.

I will admit - my black issues are milder than I think some others', and while it's livable, it's a real pain when watching dark scenes to constantly have to remember to tilt the top left corner back.

AppleFan08
Sep 18, 2007, 06:17 PM
I had my appt. last night. The genius saw the problem right away, and I was promptly refunded every cent i paid for it. You know what else i hate...I love how Apple can take the money out of your account soooooo quickly when you buy an iPod, but heaven forbid your money gets returned quickly. I mean, 3-4 days for a CC chargeback? Give me a break. And it wasnt even a CC transaction, i have a check card. I knew is should have done debit.