Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
i have an ibook g4 which i purchased in december 2005 (the last ibooks before the update to macbook). i use it daily, mainly for just itunes, safari and messenger.

a couple of weeks ago i was on it, and it just randomly went to sleep. i just pressed a button and it came back on, so i thought nothing of it. a couple of days later, it did the same. then around 3/4 hours later, it turned itself off. i was slightly alarmed by this point, but when nothing else followed i thought the problem had sorted itself out.

so yesterday, i was on it and after about 20 minutes i just put it down and left the room. when i came back the screen was blank, i tapped a few buttons, nothing. i pressed the on button, nothing. and the battery was almost full. so i put it on to charge for a bit, and it charged. but it still didn't work.

1.) does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it?
2.) where can i take it to be fixed?
3.) i had nearly 2 years of family photos on there, if it was fixed would they still be on there?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Probably a logic board problem that plagued a lot of the iBooks. Bad news is it that if this is the problem, the logic board is really expensive to replace.

The good news is that if this is the case, your hard drive should be fine and all of your photos and data should be ok. You'd be able to pull out the hard drive, put it in an external case (around 30 bucks) and hook it up to a new/different mac and copy all of your files off of it.

Did you purchase the extended Applecare when you bought the machine? If so you should have coverage until December of this year, so I'd take it in to the genius bar and see what they see.

But try this first:

Unplug the iBook and remove the battery to make sure that it's off (and not in some weird sleep/frozen state), then put it back in and plug it back in. Then press the power button while holding command + option + p + r and wait until you hear the start up chime twice and then let go. See if this starts it up.

iSarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
problem solved :) thankyou so much, i just took the battery out and put it back in, pressed the on button and it booted up like normal :D i'm going to back up all my photos now incase it happens again. thankyou :D

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
problem solved :) thankyou so much, i just took the battery out and put it back in, pressed the on button and it booted up like normal :D i'm going to back up all my photos now incase it happens again. thankyou :D

good :) backing up everything is important so don't forget from now on :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.