PDA

View Full Version : 30gb iPod with 20gb notebook?

Brent Turbo
Aug 20, 2003, 03:29 PM
Here's a question about iPods, since I've never used one, and I'm planning on buying one:

Is it possible to store your iTunes library exclusively on the iPod, because my Powerbook's hard drive only has about 10gb of free space, so I can't logically keep a 30gb music library on my computer at the same time that it's on my iPod. Can the iPod be the sole storage device in that situation?

MacBoyX
Aug 20, 2003, 08:49 PM
Sadly no.

I'd recommend you get a External FW HD, store ur iTunes on there.

MacBoyX

gopher
Aug 20, 2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Brent Turbo
Here's a question about iPods, since I've never used one, and I'm planning on buying one:

Is it possible to store your iTunes library exclusively on the iPod, because my Powerbook's hard drive only has about 10gb of free space, so I can't logically keep a 30gb music library on my computer at the same time that it's on my iPod. Can the iPod be the sole storage device in that situation?

Check the aicmicro.com prices on Seagate and Western Digital firewire hard drives. About $80 cheaper than LaCie, and built-in power supplies!

cliffm
Aug 20, 2003, 09:08 PM
You can store your mp3s on your Ipod and not have them on your local machine. You just cant copy them off of the Ipod once they are on there without some specialized software.

me hate windows
Aug 20, 2003, 10:14 PM
I rip all my songs onto the internal hard drive and then delete them once they are on my iPod. Dont have much space left on my computer, so that is how I do it.

Computer_Phreak
Aug 20, 2003, 10:41 PM
why don't you do this:

store your mp3's in a folder on your iPod when it's in firewire disk mode.

i think that should work, although i cant test it.

mikeyredk
Aug 20, 2003, 11:14 PM
YOU CAN
when you have your ipod in just uncheck sync don't sync your ipod then using itunes you drag the songs you want on your ipod then delete them don't worry about them being deleted because it won't autosync

Grimace
Aug 20, 2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by cliffm
You can store your mp3s on your Ipod and not have them on your local machine. You just cant copy them off of the Ipod once they are on there without some specialized software.

Wait, why can't you ever get songs off of the iPod?

pyrotoaster
Aug 21, 2003, 12:04 AM
What you should really do is buy a new machine with a bigger hard drive. Even a desktop with a 40 GB or larger HD would do the trick (an eMac, for instance).

Storage demands have increased so much in the past several years that a machine - particularly a laptop - more than about two years old will have a very small hard drive by today's standards.

Obviously, you might not have the budget for a new machine. And those old Powerbooks can last forever, so it's not like you urgently need to go out and buy one.

As to another answer for your question, no you cannot store an iTunes library on your iPod. Well, in theory you could, but the iPod would have to be connected to your Powerbook constantly.

You should look into a Firewire hard drive for your tunes (unless you've only got one Firewire port, in which case you wouldn't be able to plug the hard drive and the iPod in at the same time). Although an external hard drive makes a portable just that much clunkier to carry around.

hugemullens
Aug 21, 2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
Wait, why can't you ever get songs off of the iPod?

RIAA. They dont want the ipod being used to share music, so you cant take your ipod to a buddies house and copy it over and give mp3's to him. So once they are on they dont come off. there are several work arounds, but no offical way.

QCassidy352
Aug 21, 2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by cliffm

yes, this is correct. All you have to do is set the ipod to NOT autosync with itunes when connected to the powerbook. The itunes library and the ipod will remain separate.

If you want to add more songs, first import them to itunes, then manually add them to the ipod.

If you want to put the songs back on the powerbook from the ipod, there is 3rd party software that will allow you to do so.

SLJ
Aug 22, 2003, 08:33 AM
which program is that?

OutThere
Aug 22, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
(unless you've only got one Firewire port, in which case you wouldn't be able to plug the hard drive and the iPod in at the same time).

Most firewire peripherals come with two firewire ports, so that you can daisy chain your drives/scanners etc. so if he had an HD plugged into a single Firewire port he would be able to plug the iPod into the back of the HD.

NavyIntel007
Aug 22, 2003, 10:47 AM
Either buy an external drive, or upgrade the drive in your laptop.

Or you could buy a new machine.

Those are your options.

edit: You could put your music in a folder on the ipod but you would be using 15 GB for storage, and 15 GB for playable music. Not really sure you want to do that.

benixau
Aug 22, 2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by SLJ
which program is that?

hate to be the devil but we cant tell you that. no warez ....

of course i have heard that versiontracker has a lot of apps that do wierd things if you search for ipodrip