Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stetwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
England - Co-Durham
As it stands I have an 8GB iPod Touch pre-ordered, but after reading that most stores seem to be selling mainly/only 16GB ones I feel the 8GB one will be discontinued in a matter of weeks, would it be a wise move to pay the extra £70 and get double the memory? I already qualify for the £85 rebate so I would still be getting the 16GB for less then most people will pay for an 8GB one, What do you guys think should I phone apple in the morning and change my order?

/Ste

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
what would change if they stop sell the 8gb model? they will still offer same support

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
As it stands I have an 8GB iPod Touch pre-ordered, but after reading that most stores seem to be selling mainly/only 16GB ones I feel the 8GB one will be discontinued in a matter of weeks, would it be a wise move to pay the extra £70 and get double the memory? I already qualify for the £85 rebate so I would still be getting the 16GB for less then most people will pay for an 8GB one, What do you guys think should I phone apple in the morning and change my order?

/Ste

change it. I wish I had that option with my iPhone. Buy the 16 gb touch

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It's all up to your personal usage habits, as well as your budget.

Do you want to keep a lot of movies on it? How much music do you need to carry with you at a time? What previous iPod did you use?

I will be returning my 16GB Touch today due to the screen issue, and wait for the situation to get resolved. After that, I'm actually on the fence whether to go with 8GB or 16GB. More is always better, but I realize that I can actually work with 8. I only need to keep 3 or 4 movies in cue, which leaves me with 4 or 5 GB for music. That's enough for me.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
My basis for getting the 8GB is that I was perfectly fine with my 4GB nano (which held roughly 700 songs.) However, I did want the opprotunity to watch some television and films without having to worry about my laptop dying between classes. Right now I've got a duplicate of my iPod nano library on my touch along with three movies and two seasons of Robot Chicken. I'm sitting pretty nicely with the setup. Its all dependent on how much media you want to take with you.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
The primary point of this gizmo seems to be to watch video. For that, I'd definitely want the extra memory (that's why I got a 16GB).

There's no way they'll discontinue the 8GB in weeks. That was an iPhone-only kind of situation. The Touches will continue in 8GB and 16GB flavors for the next 6-12 months, at which time new versions in 16GB and 32GB will go on sale, at the old price points (and maybe with some physical volume buttons!)

Stetwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
England - Co-Durham
Well my music collection is between 25-30GB, but I have no TV shows downloaded at the moment (although I was thinking of getting some southpark) and I don’t even know how I would get movies. So neither of the iPod Touches will hold all of my music but I normally only sync play lists anyway, I’m using an iPod Mini at the moment if that makes any difference

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Well my music collection is between 25-30GB, but I have no TV shows downloaded at the moment (although I was thinking of getting some southpark) and I don’t even know how I would get movies. So neither of the iPod Touches will hold all of my music but I normally only sync play lists anyway, I’m using an iPod Mini at the moment if that makes any difference

See some other threads here on how to use MacTheRipper and Handbrake to convert DVDs to Touch-friendly formats. Works for movies, TV, South Park, anything.

This definitely isn't a music-first device - no physical buttons to adjust volume or change tracks in your pocket.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I have about 500 songs, 10 movies, and I still have about 3GB free. Movies were converted with iSquint on high settings on the 8GB model.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
i really think you should up the storage on it. Chances are you will never wish you had less storage capabilities.

Stetwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
England - Co-Durham
I have about 500 songs, 10 movies, and I still have about 3GB free. Movies were converted with iSquint on high settings on the 8GB model.

Is that 10 full feature length movies? Because if you can fit that amount on then it might not be worth upgrading to the 16GB version, the only reason i was really considering it is because i was wanting to "future proof" myself for the next 3 years or so and I feel that 8GB will seem soooo small in the future,

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Is that 10 full feature length movies? Because if you can fit that amount on then it might not be worth upgrading to the 16GB version, the only reason i was really considering it is because i was wanting to "future proof" myself for the next 3 years or so and I feel that 8GB will seem soooo small in the future,

I find it hard to believe 10 feature-length movies, at good quality, plus 500 songs, only take up 5GB. I'm finding that a 22-min. TV episode (NTSC) can be compressed down to ~200MB with very good quality. So, that's about ~1GB for a 2-hr. film. You might get them smaller by dropping bitrates, but not much less than 500-600MB per movie.

Like a previous poster said, what are the odds you'll wish you had "less" space?

Plus, when Apple drops the 8GB model in favor of 16 and 32GB varieties in the next revision, you'll still have a selling product (it does help morale).

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
My movies range from 450 - 600 MB depending on length (with exception of JFK being about 880 MB) - the quality is great too.

Stetwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
England - Co-Durham
I find it hard to believe 10 feature-length movies, at good quality, plus 500 songs, only take up 5GB. I'm finding that a 22-min. TV episode (NTSC) can be compressed down to ~200MB with very good quality. So, that's about ~1GB for a 2-hr. film. You might get them smaller by dropping bitrates, but not much less than 500-600MB per movie.

Like a previous poster said, what are the odds you'll wish you had "less" space?

Plus, when Apple drops the 8GB model in favor of 16 and 32GB varieties in the next revision, you'll still have a selling product (it does help morale).

Well I don’t really know much about resizing the movies or what ever it is that you have to do but if what your saying is true then i think I will be calling Apple about a 16GB Touch in the morning :)

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007

Yes they are full length movies. I was surprised about how much space I had left as well.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas

/Ste

If you want to load it with lots of movies then get the 16gig. Just have a lot of charging options near by. This thing plays one movie then its dead.

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
A (rather lengthy) thought exercise to determine your optimum ipod capacity

First Step:
Divide up what you'll have on your ipod into long-term files (probably music and audio files) and short-term (video being the vast majority of space used).

Starting at about 7.3 gigabytes, if you used say 2-3 gb of space for music (ok, I know that's not much for many people, but I'm imagining many people have relatively small libraries they actually listen to or have huge libraries they actively use and are sort of going to shell out the extra $100 by default.).

That leaves 4 gb for video. if you use 5 gb for music, then you've got only 2 gb (ok, duh, I just think seeing numbers help visualize space)

Then ask yourself three questions:
1-How many different video categories (like a certain TV show, a drama movie, an action movie, a video podcast) will I have?
2-How often will I be at my computer?
3-How long will I watch video between times when I'm on my computer?

I ask about different categories, because (even on a 16gb) you can't hold an extensive video library on current flash memory sizes. So, if you have a TV show you're watching, you could easily have 3 or 4 episodes on your ipod at one time, if you want to have a dramatic movie if you get in the mood, you can have one of those, etc.

When you know how many different types of video you want to have available at each moment, then you can figure out how often you'll have a chance to synch up with your computer (most people, I imagine, would have the opportunity at least once a day, so I'll use that example).

Finally, if you figure how much you might watch your ipod between synching opportunities, and assume that you might want to watch ANY of your video categories for that entire time, you've got a ballpark estimate of how many hours of video you're looking at.

Example:
If you want a 1-hr (actually 45 minutes unless HBO) TV show, a horror movie, a romantic comedy, and a video podcast, and you would maximum (for most times) use it for an hour at the gym and 30 minutes on your commute each way (hint: don't use your display and drive), then you need a total of 8 hours a day to make sure that you have everything you want to watch (OK, so you don't have ALL your movies, but thats not an option regardless. For TV shows and sequential video, it works great).

File size
is complex issue, and you could certainly shrink down files, but for now lets just use iTunes videos as a default for they are more than enough for the ipod touch (but leave something to be desired for computers and TVs). If 400mb is an average size (in my somewhat limited experience) for a 40some minute video, then we get a rate of about 10mb per minute (if I'm doing my math correctly (?) that's .1666 megabytes per second which comes to 1333 kbps, more quality than you probably need). 10mb times 8x60=4.8 gigabytes (seriously, I probably made a significant mistake above, so sorry about that).

Adding it all together:
4.8 gigabytes leaves you 2.5gb for music (that's a reasonable number of CDs), 2 hours of whatever of 4 genres you want to watch for the entire time and a good music selection. Because I'll have the opportunity to hook up my ipod every day and I don't need more than 3gb of music (plus, I'm probably not going to watch any movies on the go, maybe a drama TV show, a comedy, and a video podcast), the 8gb touch will suffice.

Some of those who may need more space:

For those looking to use their video 3-4 hours per day, having many different options, wanting 6-8 gb of music plus video, wanting mostly music but 14+ gb of it, or having the opportunity (or time, although itunes makes it easy) to synch up less than once a day, THAT"S when the 16gb ipod really should come into play. Also, of course, if money isn't really an issue.

Summary:

First: if you're on the fence, feel free to buy an 8gb model and try it out during the return period, and if synching becomes cumbersome, then you know. Secondly: Buying too little memory is something that can come back to haunt you (wish I had dolled out a little more for 80gb hard drive instead of 60gb, oh well), but if you look at it as putting $100 ($299 is a whole different level than $399) towards the purchase of your next ipod (hmmm, what will they come up with next), then you've cut 1/4 off the time until you upgrade. If you were going to wait 2 years, suddenly you've (sort of) pushed it up to 18 months (ok, not really with yearly ipod releases), 4 years becomes 3, and perhaps instead of waiting 3 years, you'll push it up to two. Hopefully, by then, they'll make then have plenty of space.

How to Treat Yourself:
on the other hand, if you want to "treat yourself" to the larger model, find some way to save $100 elsewhere where it isn't as important (like getting a smaller expresso each morning, etc.) or if you have a job that allows it, work an additional $100 worth that you absolutely wouldn't have otherwise (1 hr per day over two weeks at $10/hr gets you 8 more gb). This is a very practical way of figuring out your opportunity costs (economics concept) and not spending extra money (especially when the glamour of a new gadget can interfer with your reasoning). I may make the effort to go into work 1 hour earlier for the next two weeks, or I may buy an 8gb ipod (my plan), and if I can then get myself to make (or save, or both) $100 before the 90 day return period (Costco) runs up, I'll bring it back and treat myself. Plus, then I get to see how much I use it.)

P.S.-Can't Macrumors fix the forum so it doesn't say iPod, iPhone, etc. are misspelled.

P.S.2.0-Wouldn't it be great if Apple offered a cable (and software) that would allow you to plug your ipod touch into your ipod classic or ipod video and play the video on their. Sure, a little cumbersome (maybe a dual case) but then you could have your entire music library stored away in a bag whenever you wanted it. Sigh... I guess they should just come up with a HDD ipod touch with hybrid flash drive (to run the OS, coverflow, etc.).

btw, I'm (obviously) making this decision myself, so it was helpful to spend this time (really, not much) even if no one read it

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
There's no way they'll discontinue the 8GB in weeks. That was an iPhone-only kind of situation. The Touches will continue in 8GB and 16GB flavors for the next 6-12 months, at which time new versions in 16GB and 32GB will go on sale, at the old price points (and maybe with some physical volume buttons!)

Don't hold your breath. A 32gig flash drive cost $1400.00 and a 64gig cost $2800.00 from kanguru.

Stetwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
England - Co-Durham
Thanks for the advice, after having a really good think about it, I though I would just go all out and get the 16GB (I got a promotion on Monday so that’s my reason for treating myself), and the difference “£70” is only an extra 8-10 hours of overtime and ive already done over 40 this month to help pay for my iMac. Now I’m just waiting for them to sort out my order because I still have my old one on the orders page and the new one hasn’t shown up yet,

/Ste

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Is that 10 full feature length movies? Because if you can fit that amount on then it might not be worth upgrading to the 16GB version.

I just ripped Serenity with Handbrake using a modified iPhone preset (changed defaults to MPEG-4 and 2-pass encoding) and it weighs in at 925MB and it looks pretty decent on my PowerBook screen.

I'm hoping to get my iPod touch today or tomorrow to see how it looks on there.

dino0829

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Great info

Hey gang, great info there. I'm choosing an iTouch with the BTS promo, and trying to decide. I'll probably go 16, anyway, but I was wondering what the new 2.0 apps weigh in at? Monkey Ball? Chopper, etc?

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
The new Apps don't seem to be that large. A few megabytes at most for most.

Keep in mind that video is a space hog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.