View Full Version : airport base stations
Aug 20, 2003, 04:10 PM
besides price, what are the differences between the apple base stations and 3rd party dealers?
what is the general price difference? i can get an apple branded one, new, for 160... i am just trying to figure out if it has any features/benefits that make it worth more than just the price difference...
Aug 20, 2003, 04:15 PM
1. well, it sure looks cool..! ;)
2a. and it's easy to set up through osX
2b. you can get your upgrades through "software update"
= it's easy to use and looks awsome
those were the reasons why I did not buy a different and cheaper wireless solution.
Aug 20, 2003, 04:26 PM
<austin powers style>
</austin powers style>
It's cool, it's easy even to configre on windows even i got it on 3 ae's up and running in notime
Aug 20, 2003, 04:27 PM
Primarily the ease to setup and use by both PC and Mac Users (Apple is developing an Airport Setup porgram for Windows).... Plus built-in features like modem, WAN and LAN port, and USB for wireless printing.
Aug 20, 2003, 05:02 PM
1. Style. I have mine mounted to the wall up high in the middle of my place to get the signal pretty evenly distributed. People trip out on it 'cuz it's pretty cool looking. Espescially when the only other wireless rounters you've seen are ugly like a Lynksis with pointy external antennas.
2. Ease of use. I was up and running within 10 minutes of finding all the cables I needed.
3. Wireless USB printing. This is the coolest thing ever if you own a laptop. Before the AE, I would have to get up and plug the usb thing in to use the printer, but not anymore.
4. External antenna. I know this is only on the high end model with the modem, which IMHO is silly, but the ability to add an antenna could come in real handy if I ever get into a bigger house.