Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rastalin94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
I have been using PC’s for ever and my next computer will be a Mac. What I can not decide on is which one to buy. I am trying to make sure I get the most for my money. I will be using a Mac for iTunes, I have 2000+ MP3 files that no PC program seems to be able to handle. I also want to do DVD creation. What I have been doing on my PC is down loading stuff off the Internet and making it into a DVD; I really want to play with DVD Studio Pro. I am very good with hardware and computers all around.

The one thing I do not know is how much power I really need. I have though about getting a used dual processor Power Mac and upgrading the processes when I would have the money. This would give me lots of power, I can add more hard drives, and lots of upgrade options. But this is kind of a hassle, does not really save that much money as much as just spreads it out over a longer period of time when compared to buying a new Mac, but does get a Mac to me faster.

There is just something about the new iMac that I really like. One of the main reasons I want to switch to a Mac is ease of use. I no longer want my computer to be something that I am tweaking, and reinstalling on any more. I want to actually use my computer.
Buying an iMac kind of scares me because I just do not want to out grow it down the road and wish I would have gone the route of a Power Mac. Yet, like I keep saying, I really like the look and feel of the iMac and the idea of not having to mess around with stuff any more appeals to me. You have to understand I have home build computers my whole life so buying an all-in-one device just seems odd to part of me.

So in the end is the iMac worth the $2000 for DVD creation, or would I be better off slowing upgrading an old dual processor Power Mac?

(Just as a last note, my current computer is a PIII 800MHz slot one, so I am kind in the dark ages of PC land so any upgrade will seem faster to me)

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
You will be able to upgrade the PM for several years...the iMac would continue to be a nice day to day machine for easy tasks, but if DVD authoring is your thing go for the Powermac

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
it sounds like oyu have a display you can use and you sound like the perfect candidate for one of those dual 1.25 g4's they are new too.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I agree, if you have $2000 to spend, go for the low end G5.

But otherwise, I'd say go for the G4 powermac because it really will last much longer. The imacs are great and beautiful, but get dated pretty quickly. My brother got an imac FP 700 shortly after they came out, and it's already showing its age in processor speed and graphics, but there's nothing he can do about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.