PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Firmware 1.1.1 Features

MacRumors
Sep 18, 2007, 09:09 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Engadget posted a gallery (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/) of photos showing the UK iPhone which carried version 1.1.1 of the iPhone firmware. The new firmware show a number of new features for the latest iPhone update which is not yet publicly available.

- Home Button Preferences (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404751/) - Home, Phone Favorites, iPod, Show iPod Controls (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404752/ )
- Version 1.1.1 (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404722/)
- International Prefs (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404711/) - keyboards, region format
- TV Out (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404727/) - Widescreen, NTSC options, Closed Captioning
- Edge Roaming (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404726/) - on and off
- Wifi iTunes Store (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404709/)
- Carrier Preference (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404713/) - (seems unlikely this will be available publicly)

An iPhone update has been rumored to be coming shortly.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/18/iphone-firmware-1-1-1-features/)

RichP
Sep 18, 2007, 09:11 PM
Very nice! Turning edge roaming on/off will be great for those who travel with the phone, as the phone does like to use internet access for all sorts of little things which can be expensive when roaming.

spetykowski
Sep 18, 2007, 09:13 PM
That sounds amazing... Im so excited for this firmware update but they need to release it...!!! Still Waiting...

MattyMac
Sep 18, 2007, 09:13 PM
bring it

berkleeboy210
Sep 18, 2007, 09:15 PM
Damn, I saw the title of this thread, and thought, "oh good, it's out" then saw the small print "expected soon" ugh.. just release already Apple!

JorgeAHdz
have been waiting all day ... got all excited when i saw the headline of this post...guess still waiting ..:rolleyes:

twoodcc
bring it

exactly. where is it at?

polishmacuser
Sep 18, 2007, 09:16 PM
HELL YA FINALLY!!! i just wish they added the edge roaming thing before i went to europe :( but its all good now and thank god for the keyboard support i hope they support Polish *crossing fingers

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 09:17 PM
Gosh, I want it sooooooooooo bad.

D3LM3L
Sep 18, 2007, 09:17 PM
The Carrier selection menu is available on American iPhones, but only when roaming in another country.

Superdrive
Sep 18, 2007, 09:18 PM
The real questions remain:
-Where is Flash?
-Where is iChat?
-Is it snappier?

KCARR
i got that Carrier Preference when i was in Costa Rica but i did not pay that much attention to it(i don't think there was any thing in it)

idk just throwing that out there i not really sure on what it is

pscoble
Damn, I saw the title of this thread, and thought, "oh good, it's out" then saw the small print "expected soon" ugh.. just release already Apple!

Me too! I saw it and I was like "YESS" because I really want to use the WIFI ITMS....to bad I hope it comes soon.

btallada9870
no ichat or any other apps?

DMann
Ought to be out soon. The home button prefs will be GREAT!!! Got lots of 3rd party apps and games using Dock 2 to access them - would love to display fewer apps on home screen.

Luis
Sep 18, 2007, 09:19 PM
Seems to me they will release it when the UK iPhone ships, on november.

probablyjack
Sep 18, 2007, 09:19 PM
Giddyup!

Maybe it'll come tomorrow.

J

ijohn3
Sep 18, 2007, 09:20 PM
Steven! Just release the update already! :)

Espo
Sep 18, 2007, 09:20 PM
there are features I don't understand... Tv out? What is this?

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 09:22 PM

Only the best feature that makes me giddy with excitement when I see it! It means you can play it on tv.

numlock
Sep 18, 2007, 09:24 PM
anyway to see what keyboard layouts/languages it supports?

Flowbee
Sep 18, 2007, 09:25 PM
I want my 1.1.1

jicon
Sep 18, 2007, 09:26 PM
Gosh, I want it sooooooooooo bad.

We're still talking about a phone update, right?

I dunno if I should laugh or feel pity.

Espo
Sep 18, 2007, 09:27 PM
Only the best feature that makes me giddy with excitement when I see it! It means you can play it on tv.

oh i dont think its that big of a deal, unless we had videos to show, it could b good for some reasons but doesnt help us on using the phone itself like an aim app would.

DMann
Sep 18, 2007, 09:30 PM
no ichat or any other apps?

MobileChat works fine...... unshakle with iFuntastic 3.5.5 http://www.iphonealley.com

Go to downloads. Use the installer app and install away,,,,

ghall
Sep 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
I'm so sick of hearing about it! When are we just going to get it?

zap2
Sep 18, 2007, 09:36 PM
....aww...it though it was here

:(

ravenvii
Sep 18, 2007, 09:36 PM
Hey, that's nice... closed captioning...

When will closed captioned content actually appear on the iTunes Store though?

MarkMS
Sep 18, 2007, 09:42 PM
I want this now!! Plus, please add video recording. kthx bai

MacFly123
Sep 18, 2007, 09:42 PM
The only feature I personally am waiting for is MMS Picture texting. Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party app yet to do that??? I need it and I have tried the whole email to the phones carrier thing and can't ever get it to work.

Yvan256
Sep 18, 2007, 09:44 PM
Funny that iPods have a "Widescreen TV" setting but not the :apple:TV.

Yes I know it was indicated in the specs from the beginning but come on, a simple software update would allow a lot more people from using their :apple:TV with their no-widescreen-mode 4:3 TVs. :(

In the meantime, I'm just encoding my DVDs into two files: one with the correct aspect ratio (that looks wrong on my TV) and one with the wrong aspect ratio (so that it looks ok when played via the :apple:TV). :rolleyes:

Me1000
Sep 18, 2007, 09:45 PM
APPLE LISTEN TO ME!

The BEST iPod ever doesnt have:

Lyrics! Come on.... ADD THEM!

and

Please just let me search my iPod.
Search was close to useless with a clickwheel, now I have a full keyboard!
LET ME SEARCH, IM BEGGING YOU!
:apple:

corranroh
Sep 18, 2007, 09:47 PM
Any idea what the "Phone Favorites (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404751/)" option means under the "Home Button" settings menu?

justflie
Sep 18, 2007, 09:49 PM
Do you think that being able to turn EDGE off would help with GSM radio interfence with speakers? When I use my iPhone in the car (through the tape deck) i have to turn on Airplane Mode. Would just turning off edge (while leaving the voice portion on) do the same thing for me while still allowing phone calls? Obviously, when i get/make a phone call I'll have the noise. But what about the rest of the time?

southerndoc
Sep 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
Any idea what the "Phone Favorites (http://www.engadget.com/photos/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404751/)" option means under the "Home Button" settings menu?

I think I'm confused with what exactly you're asking.

It means if you double click the home button your phone favorites will display. Phone favorites is the short list of contacts that dial directly when clicked (as opposed to going through a regular contact that requires you to click the name, then the phone you want called, etc.).

gusapple
Sep 18, 2007, 09:53 PM
The only feature I personally am waiting for is MMS Picture texting. Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party app yet to do that??? I need it and I have tried the whole email to the phones carrier thing and can't ever get it to work.

1) open a photo on your iPhone
2) click on the send photo link (bottom left hand icon)
3) select to email the photo
4) using the table below, enter the phone number of the person you want to send to, followed by the email prefix for their provider

Service Provider MMS Email Prefix
Verizon- vzwpix.com
AT&T/Cingular- mms.att.com
Sprint/Nextel- messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile- tmomail.net
Virgin- vmobl.net
Boost Mobile- myboostmobile.com
Alltel- message.alltel.com
Amp'd Mobile- vzwpix.com
So, for instance, if you wanted to send an email to a Verizon user who's number was 8175551212, you'd send to 8175551212@vzwpix.com.

jericho53
Sep 18, 2007, 09:57 PM
Flash!!!! For the love of god. How hard could it be? Also mms needs to come soon. Still loving my iphone though.

Thom y
Sep 18, 2007, 09:58 PM

- will it relock previously unlocked phones ?
- will you be able to unlock an iPhone with current software after upgrading to 1.1.1
- will there be problems syncing with iTunes after upgrading the firmware ?

- If 1.1.1 relocks the phone, how long before the hackers workaround 1.1.1

I was hoping to buy an iPhone in the beginning of October when I visit the US and unlock it to use in Canada. Yet, I don't know if 1.1.1 will be released by then. I would prefer to have some of the new features of 1.1.1 (e.g. home key function and wifi iTunes), yet I don't know if I will be able to unlock the phone after I upgrade to 1.1.1. On the other hand, I could live with 1.0.2, yet it may be impossible to upgrade iPhones out of the box (which usually are 1.0 in the box) to 1.0.2, after 1.1.1 is released by Apple. I know there are manual ways (with Windows) to possibly restore the iPHone to 1.0.2, but I haven't seen a Mac way of doing it.

southerndoc
Sep 18, 2007, 09:59 PM
Flash!!!! For the love of god. How hard could of be? Also mms needs to come soon. Still loving my iphone though.

I think Flash support is more dependent on Adobe than Apple.

I would really love to see voice dialing through the Bluetooth earpiece. Something tells me that won't be around for a while though. :(

When I first bought the iPhone, I was hoping that software updates would add a lot of features rather quickly. Three months out and still no voice dialing, better mail controls (see all inbox collectively), mass email deletions, junk mail filtering, to do lists, etc.

Here's hoping Apple picks up the pace with the updates!

SirOmega
Sep 18, 2007, 10:01 PM

Phone > Favorites

I dont use it much now, but with the double tap I can see my usage of favorites increasing.

TV Out functionality is great too - next time I'm stuck in a hotel room I can plug my iPhone into the TV (most hotels seem to have AV inputs now on their TVs).

timdorr
Sep 18, 2007, 10:03 PM
Flash!!!! For the love of god. How hard could it be? Also mms needs to come soon. Still loving my iphone though.

Um, very. There is no ARM port of the Flash Player. Plus, it's a very complex and battery-draining application to run. It's not just simple vectors moving around anymore. There's an entire scripting language, video of multiple codecs, and all sorts of other stuff that has to be supported.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
I would like to see, but don't expect:

MMS, I don't use this myself, but when talking to others about the iPhone it is pretty much the only real downer that I have to stress, because everyone thinks that the iPhone is so good that it can beam photos into your head and send them anywhere anyway you want (a little exaggeration I suppose).

Voice dialing, given that it doesn't have one touch dialing,m like every phone I have ever had before, voice dialing would alleviate this issue almost completely.

Maybe someday.

timdorr
Sep 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
MobileChat works fine...... unshakle with iFuntastic 3.5.5 http://www.iphonealley.com

Go to downloads. Use the installer app and install away,,,,

You do realize that if this update is anything like the iPod Touch firmware (which it should be), then the jailbreak process is currently broken and will likely set us back to square one for everything that's been done in the past few months. You very likely will not have access to these apps for 1.1.1 for a while until it's re-hacked all over again.

thats nice
Sep 18, 2007, 10:17 PM
- will it relock previously unlocked phones ?
- will you be able to unlock an iPhone with current software after upgrading to 1.1.1
- will there be problems syncing with iTunes after upgrading the firmware ?

- If 1.1.1 relocks the phone, how long before the hackers workaround 1.1.1

I was hoping to buy an iPhone in the beginning of October when I visit the US and unlock it to use in Canada. Yet, I don't know if 1.1.1 will be released by then. I would prefer to have some of the new features of 1.1.1 (e.g. home key function and wifi iTunes), yet I don't know if I will be able to unlock the phone after I upgrade to 1.1.1. On the other hand, I could live with 1.0.2, yet it may be impossible to upgrade iPhones out of the box (which usually are 1.0 in the box) to 1.0.2, after 1.1.1 is released by Apple. I know there are manual ways (with Windows) to possibly restore the iPHone to 1.0.2, but I haven't seen a Mac way of doing it.

I too would like to see what happens to people that have 'sim free'd' their iPhone when they go to update, I'm sure someone will be daring enough to do it!

vibe
Sep 18, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm still waiting for a proper update to allow mass text messaging to multiple contacts. They should take it a step further and allow groupings of contacts. PLEASE APPLE.. UPDATE WITH NECESSARY FEATURES!!

Nall
Sep 18, 2007, 10:20 PM
Flash!!!! For the love of god. How hard could it be?
Why don't you ask Adobe, they seem to have a difficult time porting Flash to new platforms. Either that, or they're extremely reluctant to. And if Apple was going to do it, last I heard, the Flash Player SDK is apparently a few versions behind.

But seriously, Flash is quite possibly the most horrible, inefficient thing ever written.

iliketomac
Sep 18, 2007, 10:29 PM
This is what's it all about Apple! Keep it coming, sooner or later maybe we'll get IM, cut & paste, etc.... Continuous improvements, new features, and better useability through ongoing software/firmware upgrades. This is what makes the iPhone better & better.... :)

LastZion
Sep 18, 2007, 10:36 PM
I too would like to see what happens to people that have 'sim free'd' their iPhone when they go to update, I'm sure someone will be daring enough to do it!

I too am anxiously waiting for the result of this... hurry and release it, then someone be brave!

Tinchohs
Sep 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
... give me the 'real deal'... what they owe!

-Synch To Dos (unthinkable a smart phone without to dos).
-Synch Notes.
-Flash Support.
-SDK!!!
-Would not mind a seach.

7racer
Sep 18, 2007, 10:45 PM
gah! I don't want to see new features! I just want the features that we have to freaking work!

1. yahoo push! (including us with those sbcglobal accounts)
2. bluetooth with handsfree in the BMW (playing the voicemail broke on the last update)

3. being able to listen to the ipod and surf the internet without it crashing!

4. and the battery drain with the last update (it drains quicker with the email checks)

btaussie
Sep 18, 2007, 10:49 PM
I think the new features many iPhone users are requesting will come in a two stage process. The first phase will of course come out at the start of November for the impending launch in Europe. The obvious features include the iTunes Music Store, TV Out, Home Button preferences etc. These are important features that I think will see the iPhone be in even hotter demand this Christmas. "Quote: We want to put iPhone in a lot of stockings this year". Can you imagine teenagers with their iPhones, iPodTouches accessing and downloading songs after songs without a computer on their parent's iTunes accounts? (Guilty!)

The second phase will come at MacWorld 2008. Applications! Look at the iPod Touch and even the iPhone. The Home screen does look a bit bare. The obvious applications would be iChat, Games etc. Apple has only scratched the surface (pun intended) with the advanced sensors in the iPhone, imagine the applications? This seems fairly obvious as a natural progression of a mobile device. Sweeten the iPhone before the 3G roll out comes. Think about it, if you sugar load the iPhones now with what I've just said than no matter when the 3G iPhone comes everyone will still be pleased with what they got from their current iPhone.

I for one believe that AppleTV will see an overhaul in January. Despite it being "a hobby" it's undenieable the untapped potential that can be integrated between Apple's core businesses, the Mac, the iPod (touch in particular) and of course the iPhone. With the impending release of Leopard, bundled with iLife, new MacBook (Pros) on the horizon and updated iPhones it seems fitting that Apple will link the AppleTV to this chain of core business and bring it into the fold. Imagine, you go over someones house who has an AppleTV, you stream via Wi-Fi from your Mac, iPhone or iPodTouch, videos, music, podcasts etc. The possibilities are only limited to your imagination.

The future is exciting and I for one can not wait to see what Apple has to offer.

Cheers.

skwoytek
Sep 18, 2007, 10:59 PM
Maybe I missed it... What's the globe looking key. They broke the ".?123" button in two, now it's a "123" and what looks like a sphere.

chuckles:)
Sep 18, 2007, 11:05 PM
Maybe I missed it... What's the globe looking key. They broke the ".?123" button in two, now it's a "123" and what looks like a sphere.

INTERNATIONAL KEYBOARD.

akac
Sep 18, 2007, 11:07 PM
Um, very. There is no ARM port of the Flash Player. Plus, it's a very complex and battery-draining application to run. It's not just simple vectors moving around anymore. There's an entire scripting language, video of multiple codecs, and all sorts of other stuff that has to be supported.

Yes there are ARM ports. Look at Windows Mobile. Or Nokia.

amacisbetter
Sep 18, 2007, 11:08 PM
I don;t have an iPhone yet, but these are some cool features to what is already a great product. I am waiting for my Verizon contract to expire before I get one... :(

chr1s60
Sep 18, 2007, 11:11 PM
The real question is when the update will actually come.

The only thing in there I really care about is the iTunes store and the home button settings. I really hope there will be more since this update contains nothing that fixes the most popular complaints such as copy/paste, flash, or landscape keyboard in all apps. There are also no new apps like people continue to ask for. I know Apple will eventually address these issues, but it seems like they are currently more concerned with something like iTunes that can make them money. Hopefully it wont be too long before Apple addresses things that users complain about or want the most.

mani
Sep 18, 2007, 11:20 PM
The real question is when the update will actually come.

Jobs said: September. That means this or next week.

elgruga
Sep 18, 2007, 11:21 PM
SO the routine is as follows:

Hack the iphone - unlocked.
Apple release new firmware.
All the 'legit' users have new stuff for three weeks or so.
Hack the iphone again.
All of us with unlocked phones get the new stuff.
Apple release new firmware....

Today Jobs said it was a 'cat and mouse game' with the hackers, and he 'wasnt sure' who was the cat and who was the mouse.

I live in Canada and have the unlocked iPhone - (its now a legit business expense because it has a web browser and email (computer)) - and I guess me and the other folks like me are the cheese.

I have sold my Razr V3T tonight for $100 and I am 'locked in' to the iPhone, and I am NOT going back to Moto and Nokia and all the rest of the crap, even if I have to run firmware 1.0.2 until 2010!

LagunaSol
Sep 18, 2007, 11:26 PM
Apple, if you love us at all, unified mail inbox please!!!

chaos86
Sep 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
how about saving passwords in safari?

i have to type a password into a welcome page whenever i get onto my university's network, and the network usually reassigns my IP in less than a minute of my phone being asleep, so i have to login again.

on the other hand, does anyone know of a third party app to make iPhone Safari do this?

AJ Muni
Sep 18, 2007, 11:33 PM
even if I have to run firmware 1.0.2 until 2010!

Amen. For all of us who have unlocked iphones, we need to patiently wait. Not a big deal IMO. You know for sure someone at gizmodo or engadget will experiment and let us know what happens. Unless apple releases an update that makes the iphone fly, I'm in no rush to update. :)

nickspohn
Sep 18, 2007, 11:35 PM
what's with the weather icon? it's 23 instead of 73. and no, that isn't Celsius.

Church
Sep 18, 2007, 11:40 PM
PLEASE, landscape mode in mail and SMS. My fingers are too big for the portrait keyboard and I want to see the PDFs I get in the mail in Landscape mode like I can in Safari!

Iroganai
Sep 18, 2007, 11:43 PM
I need Japanese keyboard NOW!!!!!:p

polishmacuser
Sep 18, 2007, 11:46 PM
I need Japanese keyboard NOW!!!!!:p

POLISH KEYBOARD lol :D

chr1s60
Sep 18, 2007, 11:47 PM
what's with the weather icon? it's 23 instead of 73. and no, that isn't Celsius.

Yes it is. 73° F would be rounded to 23° C

skwoytek
Sep 18, 2007, 11:52 PM
I hope to see some keyboard enhancements...

CADer
Sep 18, 2007, 11:55 PM
I think I'm confused with what exactly you're asking.

It means if you double click the home button your phone favorites will display. Phone favorites is the short list of contacts that dial directly when clicked (as opposed to going through a regular contact that requires you to click the name, then the phone you want called, etc.).

Don't feel bad I was only reading this topic to see what the Favorites was also, but now I get what it is!!1 HAHAHA:D

cthorp
Sep 19, 2007, 12:04 AM
looks like there is a music search option in the update. Someone said they wanted that feature earlier in the comments. I think what's easy to forget is that this thing will only get better. That it is not like a phone, where what you buy, you are stuck with. I love my iPhone and look forward to many seeing it mature. It is truly revolutionary.

SAMTATSICPRO
Sep 19, 2007, 12:53 AM
I think the mounting of the iPhone on the desktop will come with this update.

Ted Witcher
Sep 19, 2007, 01:01 AM
To Do lists will probably come when Leopard comes, as it is a new feature of Mail. And since Mail gets overhauled, pretty good guess that wished-for iPhone mail features come at the same time, yeah?

Again, landscape keyboard and voice dialing are my wants. And 16GB.

p2rjade
Sep 19, 2007, 01:15 AM
I would either like, wifi syncing with the iPhone and my Mac. Or syncing through dotmac. Im assuming all the new changes with dotmac have a lot more to do with future changes rather than the "send to web". I cant wait to see what apple has up there sleve once loepard releases.

btaussie
Sep 19, 2007, 01:18 AM
I hope Applications come to iPhone thick and fast. It makes sense that it will. Think Apple had issues shipping Leopard on time as they had to get Software Engineers working on the iPhone. As such when Leopard has gone gold master and is shippped the software engineers can re-focus their efforts on the iPhone in time for new apps this coming MacWorld or better still, before Christmas. Makes sense in theory that is.

Cheers.

ma2ha3
Sep 19, 2007, 01:54 AM
question is does firmware disable sim hack?
if so, better avoid it.

Nall
Sep 19, 2007, 01:58 AM
I think the mounting of the iPhone on the desktop will come with this update.
Somehow, I doubt that, unless it's present on the iPod touch and I haven't heard.

zimtheinvader
Sep 19, 2007, 02:31 AM
-Where is Flash?
-Where is iChat?
-Is it snappier?

It is on the PepperPad3, (along with most of the updates this firmware patch offers,) which I will be getting since Apple seems to be cheaping out on screens left and right! (why was my old 12" Thinkpad screen easier on my eyes than my brand new 15.4" MBP?) Not falling for that one again Apple! I wish I could get a 1st gen iPhone, but apparently the 4GB ones right after the price cut are effected as well!

blueflame
Sep 19, 2007, 02:35 AM
SO the routine is as follows:

Hack the iphone - unlocked.
Apple release new firmware.
All the 'legit' users have new stuff for three weeks or so.
Hack the iphone again.
All of us with unlocked phones get the new stuff.
Apple release new firmware....

...new firmware destroys iphone.
nokia inherets the earth.

Hehe, made me laugh

siurpeeman
Sep 19, 2007, 02:46 AM

um, why isn't it celsius? did you know that 23°C roughly equals 73°F?

EDIT: beaten to it, sorry i didn't catch this earlier. the point remains, though, that it certainly is celsius.

Yes it is. 73° F would be rounded to 23° C

jonatron
Sep 19, 2007, 02:53 AM
It could be the unlockers that have delayed this update. If apple were about to release it in the last few weeks, the arrival of the unlocking software meant they have pushed back the release to add some more changes to prevent this happening. It wouldn't surprise me and seems logical.

zedsdead
Sep 19, 2007, 05:14 AM
Software Wise, I still would like the following (However, 1.1.1 Seems to be a big improvement)

(1) Chapter Selection Pulldown Menu when watching movies.
(2) Fixing the Safari/iPod Crashes that occur when listening to music and surfing the internet.
(3) "Delete All" button in the Mailbox.
(4) Search Function (a Finder would be nice as well with iWork support).
(5) MMS (although I really do not need it, seems cool though).

SthrnCmfrtr
Sep 19, 2007, 05:29 AM
...new firmware destroys iphone.
nokia inherets the earth.

Hehe, made me laugh

Blueflame, the kind of control you're attempting is not possible. If there's one thing the history of cell phones has taught us, it's that the hackers will not be contained. The hackers break free. They expand to new territories. They crash through barriers. Painfully, maybe even… dangerously, but, and… well, there it is.
-or-
GODDAMMIT! I HATE THIS HACKER CRAP!

diamond.g
Sep 19, 2007, 05:45 AM
Funny that iPods have a "Widescreen TV" setting but not the :apple:TV.

Yes I know it was indicated in the specs from the beginning but come on, a simple software update would allow a lot more people from using their :apple:TV with their no-widescreen-mode 4:3 TVs. :(

In the meantime, I'm just encoding my DVDs into two files: one with the correct aspect ratio (that looks wrong on my TV) and one with the wrong aspect ratio (so that it looks ok when played via the :apple:TV). :rolleyes:

The AppleTV should not need a widescreen option. High def resolutions are widescreen by default.

PDE
Sep 19, 2007, 05:58 AM
Amen. For all of us who have unlocked iphones, we need to patiently wait. Not a big deal IMO. You know for sure someone at gizmodo or engadget will experiment and let us know what happens. Unless apple releases an update that makes the iphone fly, I'm in no rush to update. :)

Yeah, not a big deal. Let's just hope that those geniuses can hack it each time so we can start feeling comfortable that the price we pay for unlocking is that we get updates a few weeks later....

I'm very happy with the way the phone works today, but of course I want the new updates too...

JohnHummel
Sep 19, 2007, 06:07 AM

The only problem with TV Out - unless I am mistaken - is that you can't use the old video out solutions (aka - iPod Dock or the AV Out cable) - you'll have to use the $50 TV out cable Apple's selling on their site.

Yes. Lame - unless someone knows something I do not.

Eric Lewis
Sep 19, 2007, 06:30 AM
its coming today!

stomachdoc
Sep 19, 2007, 06:30 AM
gah! I don't want to see new features! I just want the features that we have to freaking work!

2. bluetooth with handsfree in the BMW (playing the voicemail broke on the last update)

)

Bluetooth/Handsfree works great in my BMW! You must turn off WiFi when using it, however (it would be great if that little idiosyncrasy would go away).

Hattig
Sep 19, 2007, 06:31 AM

According to Google ... 23 degrees Celsius = 73.4 degrees Fahrenheit

MysterMac
Sep 19, 2007, 06:46 AM
I wonder if there will be ANY difference betwen the US iphone and the UK iphone ? I see no reason for there to be, but some things Ive read here make me wonder. :apple:

Roy Hobbs
Sep 19, 2007, 07:14 AM
I'm still waiting for a proper update to allow mass text messaging to multiple contacts. They should take it a step further and allow groupings of contacts. PLEASE APPLE.. UPDATE WITH NECESSARY FEATURES!!

You can group contacts in address book already. I see all of my groups on the iPhone

Orng
Sep 19, 2007, 07:19 AM
Why would the UK phone have NTSC options? They don't use that standard. They would want PAL options. NTSC would be all broken up on a PAL telly.

macFanDave
Sep 19, 2007, 07:23 AM

That is why they give you the black cloth - to polish the keyboard. Jeesh! ;)

and the obligatory "easter egg" feature. . .

- rids Ringtones folder of pesky homemade ringtones.

PubGuy
Sep 19, 2007, 07:31 AM
Why does everyone think that ToDo syncing won't come out until 10.5?

The iPhone has to work on Macs and PC's and the ToDo syncing would have to work on both. Heck, syncing ToDo's should be way easier than syncing the calendar.

danny_w
Sep 19, 2007, 07:35 AM
The AppleTV should not need a widescreen option. High def resolutions are widescreen by default.
You're technically right, the :apple:TV needs a non-widescreen setting for those of us without a widescreen tv.

diamond.g
Sep 19, 2007, 07:41 AM
You're technically right, the :apple:TV needs a non-widescreen setting for those of us without a widescreen tv.

Does the :apple:TV do 480i (576i)? I thought 480p (576p) was widescreen as well?

JC4
Sep 19, 2007, 07:52 AM
Software Wise, I still would like the following (However, 1.1.1 Seems to be a big improvement)

(1) Chapter Selection Pulldown Menu when watching movies.
(2) Fixing the Safari/iPod Crashes that occur when listening to music and surfing the internet.
(3) "Delete All" button in the Mailbox.
(4) Search Function (a Finder would be nice as well with iWork support).
(5) MMS (although I really do not need it, seems cool though).

+1

Especially #2 & #3

JohnC

whistler72
Sep 19, 2007, 07:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

ugh. Let's just get it over with!

Orng
Sep 19, 2007, 08:09 AM

Yep, I would have bought one by now if it was possible to plug it into a standard def TV. Maybe sales in general would be better if :apple:TV wasn't geared towards such a narrow market.

Guess I'll just keep using the ol' rabbit ears.

iBeard
Sep 19, 2007, 08:14 AM
where is...

mass SMS messaging
MMS messaging
iChat

Island Dog
Sep 19, 2007, 08:39 AM
It's an alright update, but I am getting the feeling that things like chat, the ability to select all e-mail, and other basic features are just not going to be added.

danny_w
Sep 19, 2007, 09:14 AM
Yep, I would have bought one by now if it was possible to plug it into a standard def TV. Maybe sales in general would be better if :apple:TV wasn't geared towards such a narrow market.

Guess I'll just keep using the ol' rabbit ears.
Well, you can plug it into a standard def tv if it has component inputs like mine does, but unless your tv has a widescreen setting (mine doesn't) the pictures will look squished (very technical term there). I bought it mainly for my audio library, and it works beautifully for that, so I don't really mind it that much, but it would be nice if it displayed correctly.

Yvan256
Sep 19, 2007, 09:16 AM
edit: sorry for the off-topic replies/rant. :p

High resolution doesn't equal widescreen, at least not for 480p, which a lot of television sets support. My Xbox 360, for example, is set to 4:3 but is in 480p. And since the :apple:TV even supports 480i, I'm really wondering why they don't offer a 4:3 mode at least for 480i and 480p. I'm not even sure if widescreen, 480i-only television sets exist.

I wouldn't mind if the 720i/720p/1080i settings were only widescreen, but 4:3 support for 480i and 480p needs to be added, the iPods and iPhone already have it!

As for supporting older television sets, I guess Apple could come out with :apple:TV mini, which only has composite, S-Video and stereo outputs, with only 480i and 480p support in both 4:3 and widescreen. No hard drive, no wireless. A really basic, stripped-down unit. That's what I would've bought in the first place.

cazlar
Sep 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
Why would the UK phone have NTSC options? They don't use that standard. They would want PAL options. NTSC would be all broken up on a PAL telly.
True, the UK doesn't use NTSC. But chances are they could if they want to, as most TVs made in the last 10 years can handle both systems without a problem. It's only US TVs that remain NTSC only for some reason, instead of multi-system.

Yvan256
Sep 19, 2007, 09:31 AM
True, the UK doesn't use NTSC. But chances are they could if they want to, as most TVs made in the last 10 years can handle both systems without a problem. It's only US TVs that remain NTSC only for some reason, instead of multi-system.

There's the added bonus that if you travel, you can connect your iPhone to any TV set in the world.

Well, you can plug it into a standard def tv if it has component inputs like mine does, but unless your tv has a widescreen setting (mine doesn't) the pictures will look squished (very technical term there). I bought it mainly for my audio library, and it works beautifully for that, so I don't really mind it that much, but it would be nice if it displayed correctly.

A little trick is to encode your :apple:TV movies with the wrong aspect ratio, so that when you play them back on your :apple:TV and 4:3 TV set, it displays correctly.

billchase2
Sep 19, 2007, 09:43 AM
nice! i'm very excited to see these features... especially the TV out!! i wonder if the normal RCA cables with work with that.

the double click of the home button is nice too.

Mydel
Sep 19, 2007, 09:57 AM
The Carrier selection menu is available on American iPhones, but only when roaming in another country.

Thats not true. I use ERA SIm card in US and have that option to choose between AT&T and T Mobile. Of course my phone is unlocked and is running 1.0.2

Hmm and why would you need that?? I'm Polish but I never ever use polish letters neither in SMS nor a mail cos it just completely ruin everything:rolleyes:

aperture01
Sep 19, 2007, 10:05 AM
Two words...

MMS Messaging...

WHEN?

Okay three.

Wait...

And flippin' fix Outlook with Itunes geez for god sakes!

-Brandon

alljunks
Sep 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
looks like a better firmware but not sure if they fix the unlock....

compuguy1088
Sep 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
its coming today!

And how did you hear this, and what is your source?

There's the added bonus that if you travel, you can connect your iPhone to any TV set in the world.

Yea, thats if you have in the first place an Apple Universal dock, or a dock with that chip that allows it to output..

billchase2
Sep 19, 2007, 10:31 AM
the one thing i'd really like to see... and it seems like it'd be a VERY simple update... would be to send a text message to multiple people. every phone i've ever owned could do that... why not the iphone?

BKF
Sep 19, 2007, 10:48 AM
Ah, home button preferences! Nice!

gri
Sep 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
nice! i'm very excited to see these features... especially the TV out!! i wonder if the normal RCA cables with work with that.

the double click of the home button is nice too.

Does TV out mean we could in theory put a iPhone keynote version on it and do slide presentations from the iPhone... THAT'S what I am waiting for since ages!:rolleyes:

diamond.g
Sep 19, 2007, 11:03 AM
the one thing i'd really like to see... and it seems like it'd be a VERY simple update... would be to send a text message to multiple people. every phone i've ever owned could do that... why not the iphone?

Apple wants you to use email.

Fuchal
Sep 19, 2007, 11:05 AM
where are you, sweet update!???

Yvan256
Sep 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
Does TV out mean we could in theory put a iPhone keynote version on it and do slide presentations from the iPhone... THAT'S what I am waiting for since ages!:rolleyes:

From Keynote, simply use "export to iPod". :D

CWallace
Sep 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
It's only US TVs that remain NTSC only for some reason, instead of multi-system.

Japan is also NTSC, and I am not sure all their displays are multi-system (been a while since I was a TV owner there).

ben5959
Sep 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
where are you, sweet update!???

its not coming

goosnarrggh
Sep 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
edit: sorry for the off-topic replies/rant. :p

High resolution doesn't equal widescreen, at least not for 480p, which a lot of television sets support. My Xbox 360, for example, is set to 4:3 but is in 480p. And since the :apple:TV even supports 480i, I'm really wondering why they don't offer a 4:3 mode at least for 480i and 480p. I'm not even sure if widescreen, 480i-only television sets exist.

I wouldn't mind if the 720i/720p/1080i settings were only widescreen, but 4:3 support for 480i and 480p needs to be added, the iPods and iPhone already have it!

As for supporting older television sets, I guess Apple could come out with :apple:TV mini, which only has composite, S-Video and stereo outputs, with only 480i and 480p support in both 4:3 and widescreen. No hard drive, no wireless. A really basic, stripped-down unit. That's what I would've bought in the first place.

In terms of digital video resolutions, video modes with 480 vertical lines of vertical resolution are all classified as either "Standard definition" (24 - 30 fps progressive, 60 fps interlaced) or "Enhanced definition" (50 - 60 fps progressive). SDTV is defined for a 4:3 aspect ratio (eg. 640x480), and EDTV is additionally defined for a 16:9 aspect ratio (eg. 704x480, non-square pixels).

The only video modes classified as "High definition" have either 720 or 1080 lines of vertical resolution.

chr1s60
Sep 19, 2007, 11:47 AM
Does the :apple:TV do 480i (576i)? I thought 480p (576p) was widescreen as well?

I think Apple should and still could make TV an actual TV with the current TV built in. This way everything could play in widescreen and use the same definition.

Orng
Sep 19, 2007, 01:17 PM

If they could use NTSC if they wanted to, clients wouldn't pay me good money to convert my videos to PAL when they have to go to Europe. Sure, there are probably multi-system TVs available, but simple economics tells me they aren't widespread

yagrax
Sep 19, 2007, 02:19 PM
Once again, people are whining about items that the hackers have already provided. You all need to take a leap and jailbreak already...

Todo - this is already an app PXL if you jailbreak and install.

Aim IM and other IMs - this is already an app PXL if you jailbreak and install.

Safari Plug Ins - this concept is already an app PXL if you jailbreak and install, the plug in allows you to download PXL over Edge/WiFi and save. I don't see why they (the hacker who did it) couldn't use the same 'plug-in' and save passwords for Safari use as well.

Unified inbox - I would welcome that. Unless you have to email accounts going, you don't appreciate the true need for this one.

Search Function - this has been sorely overlooked by Apple since day one. Amazes me that they are so daft at technology, but a small part of their brain seems to be turned off sometimes.

Delete all or delete selected emails - this should be a no-brainer also.

TV Out would make Job's not a liar when he said it was the best iPod ever, and then it lacked TV Out...duh...how am I supposed to really enjoy my ($600-$100=expensive still) iPhone when my cruddy ole iPod 30gVideo will play videos no problem?

gkarris
Sep 19, 2007, 02:33 PM
I haven't read all the posts but they forgot one feature:

Re-locks unlocked phone. :mad:

flipperanubi
Sep 19, 2007, 03:20 PM
a

Benjamindaines
Sep 19, 2007, 03:27 PM

As another user said, the iPhone is locked and it was advertised that way. That's how it is, you should expect it to be like that, if by the off chance people figure out how to unlock it you should feel lucky. If you don't like how the phone providers work in the US, send a letter to your congress man.

Iced Angel
Sep 19, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hi guys,

I wanted to buy an iPhone like today, but when I read this update I thought I should better wait for coupl of days. now my question is, if I buy today, can I install the firmware later?

danny_w
Sep 19, 2007, 04:45 PM
Hi guys,

I wanted to buy an iPhone like today, but when I read this update I thought I should better wait for coupl of days. now my question is, if I buy today, can I install the firmware later?
Yes, the firmware is installed via iTunes and is optional (you don't have to take it).

Iced Angel
Sep 19, 2007, 05:08 PM
Yes, the firmware is installed via iTunes and is optional (you don't have to take it).

Great, Thanks for the reply. I'll be on my way to the store :D

projectle
Sep 19, 2007, 06:58 PM
yea, like its really gonna be optional soon.

Think about it this way... Apple releases an update to iTunes that prevents it from synching music to an older version iPhone...

That update is an essencial update, or you wont be able to do anything through the itunes store... Even authorize for your existing computer.

this they say is mandated by the tv stations, movie studios and the music publishing houses.

This is to allow for a "protected media path" because Microsoft agreed to it.

Don't even try to say otherwise. These content owners are pricks!

TurboSC
Sep 19, 2007, 07:20 PM
where are all these new and exciting software updates that are suppose to excite and delight me... ugh.

goosnarrggh
Sep 19, 2007, 08:08 PM

And then, people in the USA will use their legally enshrined right (for the next ~2.5 years at least) to reverse-engineer the change, and re-unlock it again. With people publishing the procedure for free, so what?

And people in the EU will demand that Apple and the network carriers establish once and for all whether or not the iPhone really is "subsidized"; if not:
a) They will exercise their legally enshrined right to force the network carrier to permanently unlock the iPhone at any time the consumer wishes, possibly for a nominal fee. Otherwise:
b) They will exercise their legally enshrined right to force the network carrier to permanently unlock the iPhone immediately following the expiry of the contract, possibly for a nominal fee.

BWhaler
Sep 19, 2007, 08:30 PM
I think given the layout of the screen, two applications are coming also. Wonder what they are...

BTW
Sep 19, 2007, 09:52 PM
That sounds amazing... Im so excited for this firmware update but they need to release it...!!! Still Waiting...

Well, the European iPhones don't come out until November 9th, so you may have a long wait. ;)

CJD2112
Sep 19, 2007, 10:35 PM
Well, the European iPhones don't come out until November 9th, so you may have a long wait. ;)

I'd be really surprised if it's that long, especially as some of the new features described in this firmware update apply to the already available iPod Touch. If anything, I could see Apple waiting until the release of Leopard next month to release the update. I'm sure a few more items will be incorporated into the iPhone with the new OS (such as iChat - I hope).

craigiest
Sep 19, 2007, 10:58 PM
I'm a dvorak typist, something the mac has supported for ages, and which was even a hardware option on the Apple IIc, remember? I'd really be happy if they enabled it as an option on the iPhone.

MBsam
Sep 20, 2007, 01:28 AM
Does anyone else hope that they replace the kinda hideous faux metal MacBook Pro speaker look behind the bottom set of buttons with the Leopard dock inspired mirror platform that is found on the touch? THAT'S what I really want because I am anal like that.

zedsdead
Sep 20, 2007, 05:32 AM
Does anyone else hope that they replace the kinda hideous faux metal MacBook Pro speaker look behind the bottom set of buttons with the Leopard dock inspired mirror platform that is found on the touch? THAT'S what I really want because I am anal like that.

I am with you...I love the Leopard Style Dock...all the picks so far though of 1.1.1 have the old dock, so this time around I would not expect it...unless of course due to the support of the Leopard Dock on the Touch vs. The iPhone, maybe this is part of the reason for the delay in the update...hopefully anyway.

mani
Sep 20, 2007, 06:04 AM
I think given the layout of the screen, two applications are coming also. Wonder what they are...

Why two? There's space for three apps. Anyway, I thought of that too, but maybe we won't see it in this update.

And what delay are you talking about zedsdead? Jobs said it would come in September which means this or next week.

ben5959
Sep 20, 2007, 08:37 AM
Look fellas,
I don’t think we're going to see the update until next Tuesday. All other updates have been on Tuesdays, and next Tuesday happens to coincide with the apple expo thingy, what a perfect time. Also both my comp at home and at work say that my phone is up to date and it will check again on the 25th, also next Tuesday. The 25th is the last Tuesday of the month, and Jobs said it would come in September. I really hope I eat my words because the wait is killing me, but i think this much needed update isn’t coming this week.

gri
Sep 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
From Keynote, simply use "export to iPod". :D

Good to know that - but that alone doesn't let me project it via a projector for a larger audience... Does it show the transitions on the iPod as well?

mickeymikey
Sep 20, 2007, 07:36 PM
Check out 1:27 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XebEQmyF2s. It looks like 20 total apps, and the iTunes Store isn't visible. Could there be more? Scrolling home menu?

overcast
Sep 20, 2007, 07:47 PM
Check out 1:27 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XebEQmyF2s. It looks like 20 total apps, and the iTunes Store isn't visible. Could there be more? Scrolling home menu?
Bottom right looks like a terminal, I pray to god!

mani
Sep 20, 2007, 07:56 PM
Bottom right looks like a terminal, I pray to god!

This iPhone is obviously hacked, you can see the Installer-App on the bottom left.

gusapple
Sep 20, 2007, 07:59 PM
This iPhone is obviously hacked, you can see the Installer-App on the bottom left.

Does that mean that Steve has hacked his own iPhone???

mani
Sep 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
Does that mean that Steve has hacked his own iPhone???

How do you know it's Jobs'? It's probably the one of the journalist speaking there. Could be anyone.

jamesarm97
Sep 20, 2007, 08:02 PM

Why are we always limited to 'two program' just because there are spaces for them? Summerboard / Springboard do a great job at allowing scrolling to more apps. Why can't Apple do something like that. All the time they spent on the iPhone and they couldn't even enable some simple features that have been done rather quickly like a background image. The Leopard theme in Summerboard make the iPhone look so much better.

overcast
Sep 20, 2007, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't know, I don't "hack" my phone. :)

drummingcraig
Sep 20, 2007, 11:49 PM

Doesn't this phone in this pic also have the current (ie 1.0.x) calculator icon? That would seem to be another giveaway that its not 1.1.x.

Craig

Ted Witcher
Sep 21, 2007, 12:27 AM
Is it possible to just pay out the contract in advance and get an official unlock code from ATT? It's a hypothetical, I know the bill would be almost two grand, but I was just wondering. If you absolutely must be on T-mobile.

NewtypeCJ
Sep 21, 2007, 12:42 AM
How do you know it's Jobs'? It's probably the one of the journalist speaking there. Could be anyone.

It's the tech journalist (Daniel Ludas?) that the reporter interviewed at about a minute in. When he's showing her, you can see that his fingernails have black tips -- the same black tips that are demonstrating the phone when that last row of icons is on the screen. So it's that tech journo's phone, and it's obviously a US phone that he'd acquired, hacked and unlocked.

nycgeo
Sep 21, 2007, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't know, I don't "hack" my phone. :)

If you ever played with a hacked iphone you'd realize what a waste it is not to!

I have been AMAZED at how versatile and powerful the iphone is when OPENED. For instance, I was on the street the other day IMing my wife with a native IM application called mobilechat. All Edge, no SMS charges. What a JOY!!!

Try doing that with your precious, but severely crippled, iphone.

Also, the interface is now so much more beautiful with summerboard, dockswap, icon repositioning, wallpaper under icons, and custom icons, that I would NEVER and will NEVER go back or update until I am sure that I can use installer.app.

No, WiFi ituns music store is not good enough...I dont spend my money there anyway. And Ill keep my plethora of custom ringtones and alarms, thank you.

Thertel88
Sep 23, 2007, 12:21 AM
does anyone know if you need to buy music from the itunes music store in order to download it onto the iphone?

DMann
Sep 23, 2007, 01:22 AM
does anyone know if you need to buy music from the itunes music store in order to download it onto the iphone?

After docking iPhone, transfer ANY music you already have in iTunes into the iPhone via the iTunes iPhone tab. Any music folder you choose from the Music menu will be transferred to the iPhone. The songs need not be purchased from iTunes - they can be copied from CDs or downloaded from any other source.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 23, 2007, 09:56 AM
After docking iPhone, transfer ANY music you already have in iTunes into the iPhone via the iTunes iPhone tab. Any music folder you choose from the Music menu will be transferred to the iPhone. The songs need not be purchased from iTunes - they can be copied from CDs or downloaded from any other source.

Provided they are a format the iPhone recognizes (Such as AAC or mp3) and not one it can't use (WMP) though I believe iTunes may be able to covert it to a known format.

danny_w
Sep 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
No, you don't. Any music in your library can be downloaded. It would be of absolutely of use to me if that were the case, since all of my music is ripped from my cd collecion.

ben5959
Sep 24, 2007, 03:36 PM
its coming tomorrow!

PupnTaco
Sep 24, 2007, 03:49 PM
For sure?

DMann
Sep 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
its coming tomorrow!

Quite believable, especially since tomorrow is day 1 of the Paris Expo.

ben5959
Sep 26, 2007, 09:21 AM
its coming tomorrow!

i was wrong, i cant take waiting anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

stagi
Sep 26, 2007, 02:36 PM
coming friday just like I first thought. I was hoping earlier but lately apple has been doing everything at the last possible moment. only 2 more days to wait :rolleyes:

I Am Designer™
Sep 27, 2007, 07:07 PM
I just finished watching a video on the Apple website showing some of the new features on iPhone following the latest updates...

Some of the things, like looking at email attachements in landscapes, tv out and space bar double tapping - make me think that Apple know exactly what some of the minor feature updates will be for the next few months.

Before the iPhone was released, Apple made a big deal about saying they wouldnt be accounting for the iPhone at its point of sale - instead numbers would be accounted after a period of time so they could roll out new features etc. I have a feeling Apple have pre-planned feature/software updates to keep a buzz about the iPhone without having to change the form factor of the actual device. The touchscreen / accelerometer gives them a unique standpoint in that they can essentially add any extension of a feature and make the iPhone feel 'new' again. Then, when the iPhone is more 'fully featured' on the software side - update the hardware accordingly.

So, from a marketing point of view, I expect to see another software / feature update (or add ons) just before Christmas (MMS?...) - to create another buzz during a hot shopping period. And then another around the end of January or Feb 08 - to maintain a buzz with all the new iPhone stocking fillers... Leading nicely into summer and WWDC 08... and the first major hardware revision?....