PDA

View Full Version : 10 Countries' Heads of Law concerned about Guantanamo detainees

Ugg
Aug 20, 2003, 10:30 PM
link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/guantanamo/story/0,13743,1026262,00.html)

The heads of 10 leading law bodies around the world call on the US today to give a "fair and lawful trial" to prisoners detained at Guantanamo Bay and be a "beacon of justice in an unjust world".

In a letter to the Guardian, law society chairmen and presidents, including those from Britain, France, Sweden, Australia and Canada, express misgivings about the US plan to put foreign prisoners held at Camp Delta in Cuba before partially secret military tribunals without juries.

Justice for Americans only? Is this the way to further the spread of democracy? Secret military tribunals held on foreign territory with access to prisoners so limited as to exclude the majority of those who could help them in their defense. It is very reminiscent of the Soviet Union or Mao's China. Hardly fitting behaviour for America, the land of the free.

toontra
Aug 21, 2003, 02:01 AM
Damned right there is concern. What's going on here is outrageous. Bush should stop the sloganeering for one minute and actually consider how this is being perceived by the rest of the world.

It is an affront to every known principle of justice , and is just another example of "We'll do it cause we can - who's gonna stop us" attitude which has exemplified his foreign policy of late.

zimv20
Aug 21, 2003, 02:07 AM
bush's stance on the military tribunals is a continuation of what he did as governer - assume that if they're in the system, they're guilty. and if the crime is great enough, they deserve death.

bush doesn't strike me as someone w/ a conscious.

mactastic
Aug 21, 2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
bush's stance on the military tribunals is a continuation of what he did as governer - assume that if they're in the system, they're guilty. and if the crime is great enough, they deserve death.

bush doesn't strike me as someone w/ a conscious.

There's a conscious (sp?) there zim, but it only sees things in black and white, right or wrong, us or them. There just doesn't seem to be much in the way of a greyscale there. He may not be doing what you or I think is right, but I still think HE thinks its right. Probably in a "by any means necessary" kind of way.

Backtothemac
Aug 21, 2003, 09:14 AM
Frankly, I am glad that he has an us or them mentality when it comes to foriegn policy. I don't think the majority of Americans are concerned with what the rest of the world thinks when it comes to terrorists, and people that would kill American civilians. Many of the prisoners have been released, and they have thwarted many attacks from information that came from them. There is a past history of tribunals, and the Supreme Court rulled that they were legal.

If there was a Democrat in office, they would do the same thing. This isn't about Bush. And for the death penalty in Texas, the law was there long before Bush. You guys act like he pulled the switch. No, all he did was look at clemency requests. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I am happy that they fried some of the people they did.

mactastic
Aug 21, 2003, 09:33 AM
How much do we care about the terrorists that kill other countries citizens? Where was all this rightous fury about the killing of innocents during the slaughter in Rwanda? Or when the Algerians were blowing up French interests? Or the ETA in Spain? Were we in the forefront decrying those attacks and offering the full force of our law enforcement to prevent them?

We've been told many attacks have been thwarted because of the prisoners at Gitmo, but I am very skeptical still at best about that. It's one of those situations where you have to basically trust the word of the government. I think it is at least as likely that any really good info has come from one of these people in an "undisclosed location" and attributed to the Gitmo crowd to mislead the other people they are after. It will be many, many years before we (the public) get a thorough and accurate look at the information we got and where it all came from.

Frankly, I'm disgusted that the state executes people, so there! We can disagree on that, I'm sure there's not much that can be said to you that will change your mind.

mcrain
Aug 21, 2003, 07:52 PM
We were begged to come to Liberia. We failed them. We helped found that country, and yet we failed them! Unbelievable.

GWB, Jr. as I like to call him, hasn't impressed me with his foreign policy decisions. He certainly hasn't impressed me with his rhetoric.

I wish him the best, and hope that no permanant damage is done.