Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

writeous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I was just wondering, with the matte finish on the iPod Classic, does it really acquire protection like the 5G iPods? I have a 30 GB 5G with, which is swarmed with dead pixels, so I'll only be using it as a spare harddrive, cause Im not chucking out 60 plus bucks to get it fixed. But anyway, it has an IS on it, so I also wanted to know would that fit the Classic model, because I was just going to get a replacement for my 5G 30 GB iPod until I saw the Classic.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I was just wondering, with the matte finish on the iPod Classic, does it really acquire protection like the 5G iPods? I have a 30 GB 5G with, which is swarmed with dead pixels, so I'll only be using it as a spare harddrive, cause Im not chucking out 60 plus bucks to get it fixed. But anyway, it has an IS on it, so I also wanted to know would that fit the Classic model, because I was just going to get a replacement for my 5G 30 GB iPod until I saw the Classic.

I don't think you'll need the shield.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I have a 160 GB classic and I put a 60/80 5G agent18 case on it. It fits fine. While the matte finish will not show scratches, if you want to watch any video at all, I'd recommend screen protection at least. Plus, I don't like scratching up the back.

But is all comes down to what you can deal with. I know people that never watch video and use no case or shield and their iPods are all scratched up...but they don't care.

Me, I watch video and want to protect the resale value of the iPod (even though I have never sold one!), so I use protection :D

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I ordered an Invisible Shield last week, the chrome back on the Classic will scratch just from you looking at it.

I like to keep my iPods as scratch free as possible so I can sell them easier.

k91191

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
Boston
DO NOT BUY AN INVISIBLE SHIELD

I just got mine for my 160GB Classic today... It didn't fit at all.

The plastic circle for the middle button was smaller than the button. The scroll wheel was okay. The front left about a 2mm gap around the whole click wheel.
And the back didn't even reach the sides of the iPod and the whole for the dock cable was huge.

I had to call up for a replacement and they said it'd arrive in 1-2 weeks! :eek::eek:

What kind of business are they trying to run?

superman1988

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Is the invisibleshield a good product? i have heard good and bad things about them, anyone like or dislike them?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
DO NOT BUY AN INVISIBLE SHIELD

I just got mine for my 160GB Classic today... It didn't fit at all.

The plastic circle for the middle button was smaller than the button. The scroll wheel was okay. The front left about a 2mm gap around the whole click wheel.
And the back didn't even reach the sides of the iPod and the whole for the dock cable was huge.

I had to call up for a replacement and they said it'd arrive in 1-2 weeks! :eek::eek:

What kind of business are they trying to run?

Sucks to hear that, Maybe they are redesigning it, cause they've had too many complaints? I dunno. I'm thinkin about a 160 gigger and shield was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe I'll wait til more people get it and see if it improves.

Is the invisibleshield a good product? i have heard good and bad things about them, anyone like or dislike them?

I got one for my Gen 2 Nano, Worked great, fit nicely. The screen was prolly the only thing that need protection but I got the whole thing covered. I haven't used it with any other pods, but the next one I get I'll probably get the shield. I hate cases, and the sock is unreliable. I used the sock on my 4G Clickwheel pod and got 2 scratches on the screen when the sock was on :( I still like the sock but the shield gives indeniable coverage.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
I got the socks today, brilliant! So simple, and do the perfect job. I hate invisible shield things and hard cases, all i wanted was something to keep the classic in so it didnt get scratched. Socks, get them, love them, be done with it!

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
As a kid, my mom would always put stickers on my toys for me. I got my girlfriend to put the crystal film shield on my iPhone. Unfortunately she was at work yesterday and I attempted to put a full-bodied invisible shield on my iPod video...BIG MISTAKE. It is extremely flimsy so I found it nearly impossible to line up the corners and apply it across evenly. And even though I followed the directions to avoid finger smudging, the corners smudged up instantly. Also, since it's sticker-like there no easy way to peel it up and off to get rid of crap/air bubbles across the screen without introducing more marks across it.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
As a kid, my mom would always put stickers on my toys for me. I got my girlfriend to put the crystal film shield on my iPhone. Unfortunately she was at work yesterday and I attempted to put a full-bodied invisible shield on my iPod video...BIG MISTAKE. It is extremely flimsy so I found it nearly impossible to line up the corners and apply it across evenly. And even though I followed the directions to avoid finger smudging, the corners smudged up instantly. Also, since it's sticker-like there no easy way to peel it up and off to get rid of crap/air bubbles across the screen without introducing more marks across it.

spray a little more solution on the invisible shield and its like new again

writeous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007

The air bubbles and marks go away after a month or two. Atleast thats what happened with mines.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I have a 160 GB classic and I put a 60/80 5G agent18 case on it. It fits fine. While the matte finish will not show scratches, if you want to watch any video at all, I'd recommend screen protection at least. Plus, I don't like scratching up the back.

But is all comes down to what you can deal with. I know people that never watch video and use no case or shield and their iPods are all scratched up...but they don't care.

Me, I watch video and want to protect the resale value of the iPod (even though I have never sold one!), so I use protection :D

Another vote here for the Agent 18 case -- I just got one and it rocks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.