Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NBC announced today that they will be launching a new service called "NBC Direct" which will allow users to download and view NBC's popular primetime shows to their desktops for free and watch them for up to one week after broadcast.

The first version of this software will launch in October for Windows PCs only, but "future versions" are said to add Mac compatibility.

At launch the shows will include "Heroes," "The Office," "Life," "Bionic Woman," "30 Rock," "Friday Night Lights," "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

In 2008, NBC plans to offer expanded sales options which could include download-to-own, rental and subscription models.

NBC recently withdrew from future iTunes distribution of their television shows due to a contract dispute with Apple.

Article Link

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Let's all take bets, see how long it takes NBC to realize they were making more money selling through iTunes (the most popular music and video download store ever) than from advertisers on this service that no one will use.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
WTF? Why aren't macs supported?!!!!

Prob. because they are using POS Windows Media.

Expect a solution once Microsoft Silverlight ships well enough to handle the video.

This is what netflix has said I think the case will be the same here.

Stupid NBC.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
I don't get the "one week after broadcast". Why not expire them one week after download? This effectively means you can never 'catch up' on a season, only watch something within 6 days of missing it. Pretty much useless.

Neuroguy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Iowa City, IA
Foolish

So...

They would rather make nothing on their shows? Oh wait, advertising revenue. You can guarantee that this new "free" service will have commercials and no way to skip them. Thanks. Just what I wanted... the need to fire up my piece of crap PC and then watch commercials.

NBC is DUM!

Neuroguy

Sandfleaz

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Hmmm ...let me get this straight, they're going to offer them for free this year, then change the model in 08 and start charging?

Brilliant marketing plan! (sarcasm intended)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Its a stop gap until they get some other plan for episode sales.

NBC is simply timeshifting for us? Whoopdy Frickin Do! This is what my Tivo does for me.

I guess if I watched NBC, its good to know these are free, albeit ad-supported...:(

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Why are you all complaining? NBC wants to offer it for free now. There's no indication that next year they'll stop offering it for free, but they will probably add a download-to-own feature.

For all we know this could've been what NBC and Apple couldn't agree on.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
LOL.. Quote of the day!!.

Me thinks NBC already saw the lack of revenue flow from Amazon and decided to go to plan B.

Correction, they've moved on to Plan C. Let's hope after Plan C fails as miserably as Plan B they will move on back to Plan A.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Interesting how NBC is willing to let you time shift shows via your computer up to a week for free. But if you want to be able to watch it any time after that point they want you to pay them $4.99 an episode (ergo the Apple dispute). NBC, you cease to amaze me! It's just like how can you seriously be surprised that people just go and download the content by legally dubious sources, rather than going through all that.

Iggy :)

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Why are you all complaining? NBC wants to offer it for free now. There's no indication that next year they'll stop offering it for free, but they will probably add a download-to-own feature.

For all we know this could've been what NBC and Apple couldn't agree on.
Because whatever system they finally go with will likely be a) incompatible with macs, b) incompatible with AppleTV, and c) incompatible with iPods/iPhones. It's sad that NBC was one of the first to buy into TV shows in the iTMS and now we're at this point...

mmzplanet

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Florida
Handbrake and NBC...... Have you met?

I'll just keep making my own from DVDs. Not only do I have a nice DVD to watch it from.... I get a copy for iTunes to use on my AppleTV or iPod too.

The best part... still no advertising to deal with!!!

:apple: does not need you.

For that matter I still have my DVR too.

boxlight

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2006
Sorry to sound like an Apple fanboy, but NBC *DOES NOT GET IT* and Apple does.

NBC wants me to use their crappy video player and watch their videos seeded with many of those long boring web commercials. I do not watch TV on the network's web site, I watch TV on my *TV*.

Since people can't buy then via iTunes, people will download them. And NBC will get zilch. No $1.99 per episode, no ad revenue, no nothing. NBC better wake up and realize that their web site holds no appeal to TV viewers.

omahajim

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
You know, who really needs the crap on "mainstream" TV? I spend my 20 bucks a month on iTunes to get my Stewart/Colbert fix, and the rest is crap. Yeah, I bought a few NBC episdoes here and there, but I certainly will NOT partake in this new 'service'.

I decide WHEN and WHERE I want to watch something. Screw NBC and their misguided ignorant restrictions and format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.