Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
So I was hired to record and photograph a funeral(i know) by a family friend, and the video is finished and it is a whopping 18.3 Gb, and i intend to burn this onto a dvd via iDVD, I have a friend who has compressor on his computer, but he does not know how to use it and neither do i and he has since lost the manual, I also own visual hub for converting movies to iTunes if that can help. I need to make it small enough to fit on a regular DVD with a slideshow.
:confused:

Please help deadline rapidly approaching

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Don't worry about size, size matters not.

In FCE, hit Export and then Quicktime Movie. Click and drag into iDVD and you're off.

iDVD will take up to 2 hours of footage. Size is irrelevant.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
i believe ive tried this and all i get after i play the dvd is the first frame of the viedo and then it reverts to the dvd menu

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
Chris,

The help of iDVD provides info on the settings to use in FCE for export towards iDVD.

Search on "Preparing your Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro movie to work with iDVD"

And Yoda is right "size matters not" --> iDVD will convert your imported video to the proper format.
Note: you will have no control on this process, iDVD does it all automatic.

Fyi: in case your source is DV and your editing done with matching settings (DV), then your FCE output has a 30 mbit data stream.
Any DVD has a maximum bandwidth of 10 mbit. Deduct a safety of 10%, include audio, then your max bandwidth for video is 8 mbit. This means iDVD will squeeze your footage with a factor 4 (or more).

In case you want control of this "squeezing", you will need to retrieve your Compressor manual.
Bad news: once you use Compressor you will not be able to use iDVD anymore: the split audio/ video files of Compressor can not be read by iDVD :mad:. By that time DVD Studio Pro will draw your attention.

Coen

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
Do you really need FCS or do you want the money :cool:.

Beware: FCS does offer many many functionality, the expenditure of the software will not be your money-drain.
When considering a buy, do check out the Apple training series books.

Coen

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Do you really need FCS or do you want the money :cool:.

Beware: FCS does offer many many functionality, the expenditure of the software will not be your money-drain.
When considering a buy, do check out the Apple training series books.

Coen

I think we are getting to the point to where we need studio think about it:

Starting to do advanced motion graphics for menus and lower 3rd s
Doing custom DVD orders
We will soon working on a project 2.5 hours +, hence the need for compressor

So there it is
i will wait until i have enough money for 2 copies plus the books(its gonna be a while)

but before that we need a new camera and perhaps someone can reccomend a good one, for a budget production team, we will use it mostly for events like weddings and stuff, also might use it to make some shorts

budget set at about $1100 willing to go a little higher if it's worth it:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.