Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcoakes9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
First off, let me offer a disclaimer. My iPod touch is slated to be replaced as soon as the Pentagon City Apple store gets a new stock of 16G pods. I have a small issue with the blacks, while the iPod is still very usable, dark videos are a tad disconcerting.

That having been said, the iPod touch is the best iPod I have used, and yet, that is just the beginning.

First off, as everyone knows, it has the same iPod functionality as the iPhone. Yes, you may all love your click wheel iPods, but they just don't compare. Casually perusing my list of music with flicks of my finger is the most natural thing ever, as I'm sure all iPhone owners can attest to.

Secondly, the videos are beautiful. Maybe not perfect compared to an iPhone, but I am confident that the issues will be worked out. This is a first gen product, and we know how apple is with first gen. (TiBook anyone?) That having been said, well-lit scenes are gorgeous, and so are photographs.

If that's all there was, it would be an iPod touch. But apple went one step further, they added Safari, the most powerful application you could put on a mobile device.

While Safari in and of itself is just a browser, the things you can do with Safari have extended the touch a title so much higher than just "iPod". Maybe, iPod safari would be more apt, because with the internet, virtually infinite possibilities are opened. Browsing my gmail, adding calendar events, reading the news, and checking my e-mail on the go is amazing. Amazing.

The iPod touch is also a thing of physical beauty. You really have to hand it to the Apple engineers. I think it looks better than the iPhone in person, the size is magnificent, and if you ever find yourself just looking at how drop-dead gorgeous the iPod touch is like I do sometimes, you'll know exactly what I mean. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in features, we forget how amazing it is that I have 16GB of my music and video in my hand while browsing the web, wirelessly and stylishly.

My one gripe is the lack of a Notes feature. Now I can add notes and everything in my Gmail, but for those small moments where I am out of wireless, I need some sort of data repository. If this were an iPDA touch, I could expect that, but I still think Jobs should have more sympathy for his customers. My only explanation is a contractual obligation with AT&T that would force Apple to strip any competing device of such utility. However, the fact that Safari is on the iPod is a tremendous leap forward in utility. I can only hope the hacker community has something up there sleeve.

Even without the notes, I'm keeping my touch. I think the one thing that Apple users often forget is elegance. Apple is not about every feature, they never have been. I know we all need a notes app, and the ability to add calendars, but too much more than that, and the elegance starts to fade. I also know the screen issue will be resolved, maybe because I'm not as jaded as some others here, or maybe because I'm a violent fanboy. Whatever the case, I can't wait to get outside and use my iPod touch.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
so much more than an iPod, mmmm.. then what do you call it?

PS. u can edit calendar on it?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
hack? lol, I will try out with next device, this one is going back to BB soon.

jcoakes9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I should have qualified that- I can edit my gmail calendar. Not the iPod calendar.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
wow

that how exchange was incredibly misleading. No the ipod touch isnt hacked yet... but I thought it was for about 10 minutes and then read everything

Thanks,
Arisian

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I posted some nice ways of putting text content (PDF, HTML, TXT, RT, DOC) onto your Touch for offline viewing-

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/357584/

The FilemarkMaker app is particularly elegant, as you can then organize your content into folders, and autosync them onto your Touch. The nice thing is that Safari works great in landscape, so that should make your PDF files easier to view.

It even does JPG files as well. Of course we already have Photos, but those seem to take up a lot of space after they are converted for your Touch.

The PDF to iPhoto seems like a good option for Powerpoint/KeyNote presentations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.